Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does advertising affect what you buy?

Options
  • 09-08-2010 6:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭

How much do you think you are affected by advertising? Will you choose the brand name product because of the perceived 'better quality' rather than the 'cheap' no-name brand?

On behalf of anyone who has bought an apple product, please allow me to answer with "Yes, I am heavily influenced."

Personally, I think we are much more strongly influenced that we would like to admit.

How strongly are you influenced by advertising? 85 votes

I only by brand name goods.
    0% 0 votes
    I buy brand name goods only for expensive items.
    7% 6 votes
    I buy both brand name and no-name goods.
    8% 7 votes
    I only buy cheap no-name brands
    84% 72 votes
    I am an Apple fanboy. Cower before me you inferior person!
    0% 0 votes
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,426 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

I always rush out and buy Subway after that ad where they pour the sauce on the sub.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Not at all, In the supermarket I will always go for own brand stuff when available, I also don't buy into Apple products either, had a ipod a while ago and hated it (got it because it was the only 30gig one argos had at the time if memory serves), iTunes constantly crashed, screwed up the ipod and I will never buy even a apple mp3 player again

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭xyz1

I refuse to buy anything from Harvey Norman's because of their annoying ads, so I guess the answer to your question is ya.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭bluto63

This isn't just any food, it's M&S food...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭Tomebagel

Yes,im never ever going to use gocompare.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Felix Ray

Oh, advertising works very well, hence the size of the ad-industry, but it doesn't work on me of course.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

I don't think I'm affected by advertising. I tend not to buy stuff I don't need. I'm one of those 'as long as it does the job' types. Why buy Persil when Formil does it?
    I can be affected if I see special offers combined with a discount and a coupon

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I love you Pepsi, I mean, Peppy.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

Depends. I get 99% of my food in Aldi and don't care what brand, unless I have tried it and actually prefer a different brand, but I almost always go with Aldi.

I definitely care about how I look and dress but I don't care about brands, just the style. I couldn't tell you what designer most of my clothes are.

Electronics, maybe. I wouldn't rule out buying a no name TV, although LG was definitely cheap enough when I bought it, but when I saw them side by side there was an obvious difference in quality.

So while I wouldn't rule out that I am subconsciously affected by ads, it certainly wouldn't be obvious at a glance to me or anyone else.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

No. Advertising generally lets me know that the actual item exists - and thats it.
    As to its relevance, usefulness and quality, I tend to go by my own assessment and not just rely on the words/graphics as spun by the advert itself.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭Hank_Jones

Do find myself buying some name brand foods, but that is generally just because I like the way they taste.
    If they can make own brand kinder bars and proper really good own brand sauces, I would buy them no problem.
    Tesco do a few good own brand sauces that I use regularly.

With regards to clothes and things like that, I wouldn't buy name brand labels.
    Mainly because I'm confident enough to not care about those sort of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,324 ✭✭✭mojesius

I think word of mouth is far more effective than advertising

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

I always buy big name brands like panasonic sony toshiba jvc etc etc when buying electronics - they've got a reputation behind them so I trust them and I don't want a "cheapo" that still cost 300 euro to break after a year or two..

as for foods and stuff - I tend to go with brands again because tesco and lidl own brands for certain items are just awful but saying that some of their own brands are perfect so it's down to the item themselves..

clothes - always get branded jeans or runners - it's just so hard to get cheap jeans and footwear that feels good when wearing them the whole day
    for tshirts or trackies pennies all the way though lol - never gonna buy another nike or addidas tshirt again if I can help it at all - really ridiculous the prices for them and it's just not worth it

in general - I'd go with un branded if I can get away with it but if it's an expensive thing I'd rather put my trust in a known brand - the advertising doesn't make any difference tbh - impulse buying doesn't affect Cavan men so.. :pac::pac: but adverts might make me interested in something that I might otherwise never think of buying - but I'll research it too the last before purchasing anything

• Registered Users Posts: 9,804 ✭✭✭take everything

I have to honestly say no.
    When i buy something it has to be the best.
    The best a man can get.
    None of your brands shiite.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I don't have a tv and don't buy much standard media like newspapers and magazines. I hate advertising, if anything seeing an add for a company will put me off buying anything from them.

When I'm interested in buying something I'll either buy and try or consult the internet for user reviews.

I used to think brands meant quality but they simply don't any more so it's user reviews before I buy anything.

I have to honestly say no.
    When i buy something it has to be the best.
    The best a man can get.
    None of your brands shiite.

Suppose you don't use Wilkinson Sword then?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,804 ✭✭✭take everything

Hank_Jones wrote: »

Yeah that's what i was kinda going for. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Mikhaela

What affects me when buying is people's opinions and feedback about the product. My family and friends influenced me more rather than the traditional advertising.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Hank_Jones wrote: »

Isnt that Gilettes slogan?

krudler wrote: »
    Isnt that Gilettes slogan?

If it's not, it should be.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭storm2811

Meh,sometimes.
    There was ad for dominos pizza on the other night and then I just really,really wanted a pizza!
    Didn't get dominos though.:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭King Felix

Felix Ray wrote: »
    Oh, advertising works very well, hence the size of the ad-industry, but it doesn't work on me of course.

So, you've never seen an ad for Felix Cat Food?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭Fittle

I don't think it's affect me all that much.

Take the hunky dorys ad for example. We were all talking about - it got banned and we were talking about it again. So if they wanted us all to 'talk' about hunky dorys, then it worked. But I never went out and bought a packet coz I just don't like them! And I'm sure very few of you(who also don't like them) bought a packet just because of the ad.....or maybe you did;)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Yep. I went to clown college once.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭Cheap Thrills!

I am a 'hostile consumer' -I try as far as possible to edit advertising out of my life.

What I mean by that is as far as possible I refuse to engage with advertising and I base my shopping purchases on only what I need.

My priorities when buying something are:

1. Speed. How quickly I can get in and out of the shop.
    2. Value. I'll pick the cheapest, I am very unfussy with food. Anything will do.

I have TV's but no cable or digital, I watch DVD's mainly. I have RTE 1 and 2 and mute the ad's and look away when they are on on the odd occasion I watch TV.

When I buy papers in the shop I first remove that junky blurb that they stick in there and leave it near the papers. I don't want that sh!t.

I have a 'No Junk Mail' sign on my letterbox and it seems to work.

I have no interest in designer goods or particular brands. I think they are the height of pretentiousness. People who think designer labels make them better than others are insecure and pathetic imho.

Frankly with food if it's edible I'll eat it, with clothes if they look good on me I buy them. I shop mainly in Pennys but only in off peak hours. I don't enter shops if I can avoid it. I find them offensive to my senses. I never enter supermarkets as they are incredibly depressing and timewasting places.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭A V A

what wrong with being a apple fan?????????

im a major apple fan boy

n dont cowar for anyone :)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,004 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

A V A wrote: »
    what wrong with being a apple fan?????????

im a major apple fan boy

n dont cowar for anyone :)

Good slogan, but I can't figure out what cheese you're advertising.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭alex73

Does advertising affect what you buy

Man which stone were you living under? 100% it does, advertising is a multi billion euro industry. If companies saw no return for their advertising spend do you think they would spend it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭alex73

ScumLord wrote: »
    I don't have a tv and don't buy much standard media like newspapers and magazines. I hate advertising, if anything seeing an add for a company will put me off buying anything from them.

When I'm interested in buying something I'll either buy and try or consult the internet for user reviews.

I used to think brands meant quality but they simply don't any more so it's user reviews before I buy anything.

internet for user reviews
    , like on boards.ie or other blogs?? Companies have long tapped into them, do you honestly not think they also post their reviews (AKA ADVERTISING!).

Advertisement