Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tired of paying 29.99€ for 12 protein bars ? TRY THIS!

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

damn... i bet it's delicious and all isn't it
    too rich for my blood though, enjoy it (bastard)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭sgarvan

damn... i bet it's delicious and all isn't it
    too rich for my blood though, enjoy it (bastard)

Not tasted it yet as I am waiting on my mint choc to finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭PaulyBolger

sgarvan wrote: »
    Not tasted it yet as I am waiting on my mint choc to finish.

is it a good protein? i'm on kinetica now, what's better ?

I find it good for my needs and the price is right.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

Just put my first batch in the freezer :)

• Advertisement

anyone used fruity whey in these?
    got some banana flavoured whey coming soon for smoothies and such, banana bars might be nice.. but im not sure

Was afraid to try it with banana! So I waited until that was gone and used the mint chocolate

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

anyone used fruity whey in these?
    got some banana flavoured whey coming soon for smoothies and such, banana bars might be nice.. but im not sure

I tried it with strawberry and wouldn't do it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,305 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Made my second batch today. Used less water, and everything was way less sticky!! They turned out great :)

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭Underpaid Mike

PLease make this sticky thread, amazing post

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭thegreatiam

PLease make this sticky thread, amazing post

in its 3rd year on the front page and going strong.

Sticky-ing this thread will only cheapen it. ;-)

has anybody been able to get the mixture as rectangular as the pics in the OP?

the original pics look so professional and neat. mine looks like I horsed a lump of sticky peanut butter oatmeal into a ziplock bag and punched it a few times.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭lorrim

Just made these - used almond butter instead of peanut butter coz I forgot to buy some :) Looking forward to seeing how they turn out

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

the original pics look so professional and neat. mine looks like I horsed a lump of sticky peanut butter oatmeal into a ziplock bag and punched it a few times.

I used a rolling pin to keep the mixture even in my folded ziplock bag. I used a big bag and folded it in thirds, ( obviously making sure ALL the air was out). They weren't as perfect as the original but nice and rectangular shaped.

Gonna make more later and dip them in melted chocolate when their frozen.

Could you add virgin coconut oil to this mixture? Let the oil become " liquid " and add it to the mixture?

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭elsy

A lil tip I found great was cutting them with a pizza cutter you know the rolly on its great

Could you add virgin coconut oil to this mixture? Let the oil become " liquid " and add it to the mixture?

I thought about this alright but I was worried about what would happen when the coconut oil hardened. might make the bars a bit flakey

mmight have to invest in a rolling pin and larger zip lock bags I guess.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

hardCopy wrote: »
    I tried it with strawberry and wouldn't do it again.

Damn :(

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭muffinn

Here's how you do it.

Dump the dough into bag and make sure you stuff it into 2 corners to get rid of all the air. Spread it in the bottom half of the bag and fold the bag in half.

Then all you have to do is to press the bag with the dough in it against table top with a big hard cover book or a telephone book.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,305 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

The less sticky the mixture the better. Stuff the mixture into the corners of the zip-lock bags first, otherwise trapped air will be a lot of hassle. I use my fist, and then a chopping board to flatten everything.

My second batch that I made last week were very rectangular-y! I should have taken a photo! :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Finally made! The mix tastes amazing! They're freezing at the moment :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

My pic from a while ago, gluten free oats used of course. Great recipe, very tasty.

mine turned out pretty squidgy, I think I used too much water. taste lovely though.
    So I followed the tips on here about using jelly & dessicated coconut... much better! Tried a strawberry batch

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/58356582/2013-04-02%2015.16.13.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,920 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

bluewolf wrote: »
    mine turned out pretty squidgy, I think I used too much water. taste lovely though.
    So I followed the tips on here about using jelly & dessicated coconut... much better! Tried a strawberry batch

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/58356582/2013-04-02%2015.16.13.jpg

Oh fancy!

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Corcaigh84

Stupid question, can I throw all the ingredients into a blender for a little bit instead of using my hands? I don't to shred the almonds TOO much :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭thegreatiam

thefloss wrote: »
    Stupid question, can I throw all the ingredients into a blender for a little bit instead of using my hands? I don't to shred the almonds TOO much :D

a blender will just chop everything fine, even a small blast.

why not use your hands?

I used an automatic mixer with a dough hook and it worked fine.

Nice one thanks. I didn't want to use my hands as I'd probably lick syrup and peanut butter off my hands, realise how tasty that sh1t is, and scoff half of it before it gets to the freezer!!

Making them tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SunnyDub1

Huge fan of these bars. Always a success, taste great and sorts out the sweet tooth I get from time to time :P

For anyone interested I recently tried these and they turned out really well.
    Would defiantly recommend them to the posters who are concerned about stickiness. Can be kept in the fridge when cooked and great for keeping in the lunch box throughout the day without turning into mush :P!

Baked Protein Bars.
    • 180g whey protein powder ( I use choc nut flavor)
    • 80g rolled oats or milled flax (both work well)
    • 60g Hazelnut butter (Any nut butter works)
    • 1 medium egg
    • 1 tbsp coco powder
    • 1 tsp baking powder
    • 40g desiccated coconut
    • 30g Raisins (optional)
    • 30g Mix chopped nuts
    • 70ml coconut milk
    Mix all dry ingredients together(expect coco powder).
    Whisk egg and add.
    I then heat the coconut milk and add the hazelnut butter and coco powder, (the nut butter melts) stir until in becomes runnish paste like. Let it cool a little then add to dry ingredients and mix.

Grease baking try with some coconut oil ( I suggest using a deep dish baking tray, as the mix will rise), add mix to baking try.
    Cook at gas mark 4/5 for 20-25 Min's. Keep and eye on them as they tend to rise in the oven.

This makes approx 8-10 bars(depending on what size you want them)

Will be making a batch tomorrow or over the weekend, so will try throw up a few pics and work out and post the nutritional info.

Let's ingore the fact it looks like a brick of something confiscated on the Six One News (and also wrapped in tin foil) and concentrate on how Homer-drooling tasty these are :D

My batch made 8 bars, only change was honey cos my shop didn't have syrup, and I also added some walnuts and marshmallows as they were lying around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

SunnyDub1 wrote: »
    Baked Protein Bars.
    • 1 medium egg
    • 1 tbsp coco powder
    • 1 tsp baking powder
    • 40g desiccated coconut
    • 30g Raisins (optional)
    • 30g Mix chopped nuts
    • 70ml coconut milk

Totally going to make these this weekend!

Just wondering- when you say coconut milk, do you mean the Kara brand milk or the full fat tinned variety?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭colman1212

SunnyDub1 wrote: »
    Huge fan of these bars. Always a success, taste great and sorts out the sweet tooth I get from time to time :P

For anyone interested I recently tried these and they turned out really well.
    Would defiantly recommend them to the posters who are concerned about stickiness. Can be kept in the fridge when cooked and great for keeping in the lunch box throughout the day without turning into mush :P!

Baked Protein Bars.
    • 1 medium egg
    • 1 tbsp coco powder
    • 1 tsp baking powder
    • 40g desiccated coconut
    • 30g Raisins (optional)
    • 30g Mix chopped nuts
    • 70ml coconut milk
    Whisk egg and add.
    I then heat the coconut milk and add the hazelnut butter and coco powder, (the nut butter melts) stir until in becomes runnish paste like. Let it cool a little then add to dry ingredients and mix.

Grease baking try with some coconut oil ( I suggest using a deep dish baking tray, as the mix will rise), add mix to baking try.
    Cook at gas mark 4/5 for 20-25 Min's. Keep and eye on them as they tend to rise in the oven.

This makes approx 8-10 bars(depending on what size you want them)

Will be making a batch tomorrow or over the weekend, so will try throw up a few pics and work out and post the nutritional info.

Is ground flax seed ok to use instead of milled?

Advertisement