Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tired of paying 29.99€ for 12 protein bars ? TRY THIS!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Officer Giggles

Tried the mix today for first time, I only had strawberry protein..... Big mistake, it over powered everything else and the bars are just not nice, will have to go again

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭rustyzip

muffinn wrote: »
    Here's a recipe for tasty, chewy, snickers-like home made protein bars.

What you need:

70g good quality non added sugar peanut butter (2 tablespoonfuls)
    180g whey protein powder (6 scoops, I used chocolate flavour)
    90g rolled oats (around 3 WPC scoops)
    30g ground flaxseed (3 tablespoons, preferably freshly ground)
    20g maple syrup (1 tablespoon)
    30g whole almonds (around 25 almonds)
    120-150ml of water

80937266.jpg

Combine peanut butter, whey protein, rolled oats and flaxseed in one large bowl and mix it together. Start adding water and keep mixing everything using your hand (the best way to do).

17680133.jpg

Keep mixing until there is nothing dry left in the bowl and sticky batter is formed. Now add maple syrup with almonds and mix it thoroughly.

33183198.jpg

The next thing to do is to form it in a flat shape. To make it easier you can use ziplocked freezer bag, fold it in half and spread the batter evenly.

68188944.jpg

Now put it in the freezer for 1 to 1,5h and cut into 7 equal bars.

27722359.jpg

Each of them yields:

266 kcal

25,7g of protein
    12g of fat (of which 7,1g monounsaturated and 2,8 polyunsaturated fat)
    12,5g of carbs (of which 3,2g dietary fiber)

I wrap them individually in tin foil and store in fridge.
    Believe me, these bars taste amazing, are cheap, packed with protein, full of healthy fats and low in carbs. They are perfect as a meal replacement on the road.

Enjoy!

This seems easy to do, thanks :)
    Can it be made without protein powder do you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭brownej

rustyzip wrote: »
    This seems easy to do, thanks :)
    Can it be made without protein powder do you think?

I doubt it. You will need to replace the protein powder with something else. It is the primary ingredient and tends to be what binds the bars together.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭Daenarys

Has anyone made these with soya protein? I'm wondering if it would make any difference to the taste or texture?

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭Locust

Never tried them with soya protein as i have heard bad things about soya and soya protein which dissuade me from using it. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dr-mercola/soy-health_b_1822466.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 Crank Stain

I have been using the op’s recipe for a while and its great, thanks, but results can vary due to my cooking skills.
    I found this recipe recently and the resulting bar is less messy, its more of a stiffer flapjack type consistency, theres less ingediients too so its easier for me!

400g uncooked oatmeal
    340g peanut butter
    250ml coconut cream (not the same as coconut milk or creamed coconut, coconut cream is €1.29 for 160ml in tesco)
    150g whey powder

This makes 14 – 16 snickers size bars and they are very filling.

Method, combine the whey powder with the coconut cream and whisk until smooth, add peanut butter and whisk again, finally add porridge and mix well. Flatten mixture into a dish and refrigerate overnight.

I cant post url's or pictures as a new user but full details and pictures are at neilarey.com/recipes/homemade-no-bake-protein-bars

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭Bassfish

I have been using the op’s recipe for a while and its great, thanks, but results can vary due to my cooking skills.
    I found this recipe recently and the resulting bar is less messy, its more of a stiffer flapjack type consistency, theres less ingediients too so its easier for me!

400g uncooked oatmeal
    340g peanut butter
    250ml coconut cream (not the same as coconut milk or creamed coconut, coconut cream is €1.29 for 160ml in tesco)
    150g whey powder

Method, combine the whey powder with the coconut cream and whisk until smooth, add peanut butter and whisk again, finally add porridge and mix well. Flatten mixture into a dish and refrigerate overnight.

I cant post url's or pictures as a new user but full details and pictures are at neilarey.com/recipes/homemade-no-bake-protein-bars

They sound great, do you have the nutritional breakdown worked out?

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Crank Stain

I don't have any nutritional info other than the following, it depends on how they are cut.

12 bars = 388 calories per bar | 24g protein each
    16 bars = 288 calories per bar | 15g protein each

The are very filling, more of a meal replacement than a snack.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,305 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Bassfish wrote: »
    They sound great, do you have the nutritional breakdown worked out?
    I don't have any nutritional info other than the following, it depends on how they are cut.

12 bars = 388 calories per bar | 24g protein each
    16 bars = 288 calories per bar | 15g protein each

The are very filling, more of a meal replacement than a snack.

I did a quick guesstimate.... obviously it'll vary slightly on the brand of whey protein and other ingredients used etc.

Nutrition Facts (16 Servings)

Calories: 320 kcal

Protein: 15 g

Total Fat: 16 g
    Saturated Fat: 6 g
    Monounsaturated Fat: 5 g
    Polyunsaturated Fat: 3 g

Total Carbohydrate: 20 g
    Dietary Fibre: 4 g
    Sugars: 3 g

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭brianon

400g uncooked oatmeal
    340g peanut butter
    150g whey powder

Just made a batch of these. I'd say i had about 500cals just from licking the bowl ;)

• Advertisement

^^^^^^
    Just to be clear is it pinhead oatmeal you use as opposed to porridge oats? And should they be soaked beforehand?

^^^^^^
    Just to be clear is it pinhead oatmeal you use as opposed to porridge oats? And should they be soaked beforehand?

From the recipe it sounds like just regular porridge oats straight from the bag.

From the recipe it sounds like just regular porridge oats straight from the bag.

Ya that makes sense, thought the pinhead oatmeal would have been odd

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭guile4582

made the OP's original , half were bar like, half crumbled. Putting this down to not mixing them properly

super tasty though - zero stickiness

• Registered Users Posts: 19,148 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Glad this thread has been bumped. Was thinking about making a batch of these this week and was going to have to dig out this thread!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,002 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

This could be a good idea for a small business?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭guile4582

The whole reason its popular is because people don't want to buy bars

True, but you would sell them a whole lot cheaper than the fancy branded ones.

Some people might think making them is hassle, might buy them in bulk if cheap enough and made by someone else?

Made a batch of the bars from the previous page last Saturday using chocolate-peanut butter protein powder. Absolutely gorgeous:)

MMmmm.

They don't look the least bit healthy though, are they?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,148 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

NIMAN wrote: »
    MMmmm.

Each of them yields:

266 kcal

25,7g of protein
    12g of fat (of which 7,1g monounsaturated and 2,8 polyunsaturated fat)
    12,5g of carbs (of which 3,2g dietary fiber)

I'd have thought that the nutritional profile is pretty good here.

guile4582 wrote: »
    made the OP's original , half were bar like, half crumbled. Putting this down to not mixing them properly

super tasty though - zero stickiness

It takes a good few batches before you figure out how to get the right consistency.

I've been making these bars (in the OP) every two weeks for about the last year and a half, and even though I weigh out all the ingredients accurately, I still have to very careful when adding the water in order to get a good consistency.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,029 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

MMmmm.

What's your idea of healthy based on?

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

Stick it in a nutrigrain or belvita "breakfast biscuit" wrapper

Now its healthy

Profit

MMmmm.

All good clean ingredients, no added sweeteners, good quality whey protein. Healthier than anything with a weight watchers logo or labeled 'low fat'.

All good clean ingredients, no added sweeteners, good quality whey protein. Healthier than anything with a weight watchers logo or labeled 'low fat'.

Apart from the added sweetener in the chocolate whey protein. But yes, far more nutritious and healthier than the majority of other protein bars, Weight Watchers products etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭maximoose

Tried these lastnight, used vanilla whey instead of chocolate

Taste - magnificent
    Texture - sticky mess! The outsides were nice and bar-like but the centres not so much. I didn't have ground flaxseed in the house but had a milled flax/pumpkin/sunflower seed combo and tried to use it as a sub, guessing that's the reason.

Where's best to pick up ground flax?

Apart from the added sweetener in the chocolate whey protein. .

Not in the one I use, according the the manufacturer at least :-)

maximoose wrote: »
    Tried these lastnight, used vanilla whey instead of chocolate

Taste - magnificent
    Texture - sticky mess! The outsides were nice and bar-like but the centres not so much. I didn't have ground flaxseed in the house but had a milled flax/pumpkin/sunflower seed combo and tried to use it as a sub, guessing that's the reason.

Where's best to pick up ground flax?

I've used milled linseed/chia seed/gogi berry combo before and they turned out grand.

There is a good chance that you used too much water.

For flaxseed, I normally just get this from Aldi.

• Advertisement

Not in the one I use, according the the manufacturer at least :-)

Oh right! :o

What protein do you normally use?

I use MyProtein's Natural Chocolate. It contains sucralose.

Advertisement