Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tired of paying 29.99€ for 12 protein bars ? TRY THIS!

• 07-08-2010 9:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭

Here's a recipe for tasty, chewy, snickers-like home made protein bars.

What you need:

70g good quality non added sugar peanut butter (2 tablespoonfuls)
    180g whey protein powder (6 scoops, I used chocolate flavour)
    90g rolled oats (around 3 WPC scoops)
    30g ground flaxseed (3 tablespoons, preferably freshly ground)
    20g maple syrup (1 tablespoon)
    30g whole almonds (around 25 almonds)
    120-150ml of water

80937266.jpg

Combine peanut butter, whey protein, rolled oats and flaxseed in one large bowl and mix it together. Start adding water and keep mixing everything using your hand (the best way to do).

17680133.jpg

Keep mixing until there is nothing dry left in the bowl and sticky batter is formed. Now add maple syrup with almonds and mix it thoroughly.

33183198.jpg

The next thing to do is to form it in a flat shape. To make it easier you can use ziplocked freezer bag, fold it in half and spread the batter evenly.

68188944.jpg

Now put it in the freezer for 1 to 1,5h and cut into 7 equal bars.

27722359.jpg

Each of them yields:

266 kcal

25,7g of protein
    12g of fat (of which 7,1g monounsaturated and 2,8 polyunsaturated fat)
    12,5g of carbs (of which 3,2g dietary fiber)

I wrap them individually in tin foil and store in fridge.
    Believe me, these bars taste amazing, are cheap, packed with protein, full of healthy fats and low in carbs. They are perfect as a meal replacement on the road.

Enjoy!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

really surprised this post has not received more hits as its total winner and much work has gone in to it.

Cheers and I guess the people looking for threads on weight loss and low carb will eventually make these rather than looking for super expensive shop bought ones

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Legendary post. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Dixie Chick

unreal, sounds amazing!! look amazing DROOOOL

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭_JOE_

I'll be making these these in the next couple of days!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

just a note of warning - probably pretty obvious really...

when making don't get distracted by the telly and add all the water at once - mine got far too wet and despite adding more oats and some physllium husk to try dry it out I'm left with a ( admittedly very tasty ) plate of sludge thats not really gonna be a runner wrapped as a bar.

other than that they are great thanks !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭muffinn

Wow, thanks for your feedback guys.

Just a note here, flaxseed is the key ingredient when it comes to the texture of these bars. Thanks to gluey substance called mucilage you get the chewy-like consistency.

I presume you could replace the flaxseed with psyllium husk with the same effect but never tried it.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Wonkagirl

Looking forward to making a batch of these at the weekend for gaelforce. the amt of variations are just endless too! I'm going to add a scoup of ground hemp into mine, for instance. great source of protein.

if you wanted to cheat and make them a little bit rocky-roadish for the craic, you could add in a few of those tiny marshmallows.. no nutrional value or anything, but would look nice and all that:)

ETA- i think i'll be halving all the measurements- otherwise i'd be liable to scoff all 12 in one sitting, they're very more-ish looking

Wonkagirl wrote: »
    Looking forward to making a batch of these at the weekend for gaelforce. the amt of variations are just endless too! I'm going to add a scoup of ground hemp into mine, for instance. great source of protein.

if you wanted to cheat and make them a little bit rocky-roadish for the craic, you could add in a few of those tiny marshmallows.. no nutrional value or anything, but would look nice and all that:)

ETA- i think i'll be halving all the measurements- otherwise i'd be liable to scoff all 12 in one sitting, they're very more-ish looking

You actually get 7 bars out of the measurments and ye you can add bunch of other stuff like raisins, dried bananas, etc. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,522 ✭✭✭worded

Is honey not better for you than - 20g maple syrup (1 tablespoon) ?

worded wrote: »
    Is honey not better for you than - 20g maple syrup (1 tablespoon) ?

The nutritional breakdown is pretty much the same for both maple syrup and honey, except maple syrup is more watery so it has little less calories. Also it has significant amount of manganese among some other minerals and of course maple flavour beats honey :D

It's really up to you what you prefer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

Do these keep ok out of the fridge?? i.e. for bringing around with you? Or do they tend to do mushy / melty if not refridgerated?

Thanks for the great post :)

Do these keep ok out of the fridge?? i.e. for bringing around with you? Or do they tend to do mushy / melty if not refridgerated?

Thanks for the great post :)

I don't think they can melt unless you seriously heat them up.
    I've been carrying few of them around with me for couple of hours. They tend to get a lil bit more sticky so I had hard times trying to unwrap them from tin foil. I might use plastic foil next time and see how it goes.

muffinn wrote: »
    They tend to get a lil bit more sticky so I had hard times trying to unwrap them from tin foil. I might use plastic foil next time and see how it goes.

I'd say grease proof paper might be the best bet- that's what i'm going to use

again, thanks for the great post :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭seawolf145

Here's a recipe for tasty, chewy, snickers-like home made protein bars.

Enjoy!

Or you can try this very rich on protein

http://luna.pos.to/whale/jwa_v8_suzu.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭VonLuck

Might try to make these later. Thinking of replacing the almonds with some raisins.

I have a recipe for protein bars myself but these bars seem to have better nutritional values than my ones, at least with the protein! Cheers.

VonLuck wrote: »
    Might try to make these later. Thinking of replacing the almonds with some raisins.

and im going to replace almonds with pumpkin seeds.. they're my favourite

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭ronsgonawin

Hi, great post, just wondering how there would look or taste if I used strawberry whey protein? Still have half a tub and want to try make these at the weekend! Has anybody tried it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

Any suggestions for oat replacement to make it gluten free?

--Kaiser-- wrote: »

Oats themself actually does not contain gluten but often are processed in the same factory as wheat and other grains so they may be contaminated.

The best thing to do is to ask for pure organic oats in your local health store.

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭poconnor16

This receipe is excellent - I cant wait to try it.:)

One question - these would not be suitable for the initial 'induction' phase of a low carb diet right? (But ideal for afterwards)

• Advertisement

poconnor16 wrote: »
    This receipe is excellent - I cant wait to try it.:)

One question - these would not be suitable for the initial 'induction' phase of a low carb diet right? (But ideal for afterwards)

I believe it all comes down to your daily carbs intake. If eating those keeps you within the limit, I'd say it's ok.

Although I wouldn't eat them in late evening if weight reduction is your goal.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,522 ✭✭✭worded

I believe it all comes down to your daily carbs intake. If eating those keeps you within the limit, I'd say it's ok.

Although I wouldn't eat them in late evening if weight reduction is your goal.

Whats good in late evening if you just have to eat? e.g. You skipped a meal, had to work late. Or you had a long tough late cycle?

worded wrote: »
    Whats good in late evening if you just have to eat? e.g. You skipped a meal, had to work late. Or you had a long tough late cycle?

Generally you try to avoid carbs in your last 1-2 meals before going to bed. Exception can be made if your second to last meal is your post-workout meal but I still would limit the carbs to the minimum.

Basicly, any meal providing good source of protein and certain amount of healthy fats will do.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

Damn i am missing the peanut butter - gonna try some almond butter i think or cashew butter and might swap the maple syrup for molasses. Im on a big molasses kick at the moment. No one can understand how i like the stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭gavtron

I haven't heard of anyone eating molasses since I read To Kill a Mockingbird! Where do you get it?

Dunnes!

Meridian do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Mmm they look savage. Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

--Kaiser-- wrote: »

coconut flour from the ethnic shop? That's what I'm thinking of using if/when I make these soon. This would also make the bars low carb for those asking about that.
    ULstudent wrote: »
    Dunnes!

Meridian do it.

Is molasses not just another name for treacle or what are the differences?

coconut flour from the ethnic shop? That's what I'm thinking of using if/when I make these soon. This would also make the bars low carb for those asking about that.

Is molasses not just another name for treacle or what are the differences?

Have not a clue tbh - i just picked up the molases as a honey substitute in a recipe.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

gavtron wrote: »
    I haven't heard of anyone eating molasses since I read To Kill a Mockingbird! Where do you get it?

or here http://www.organicsupermarket.ie/shop/product/molasses-350g-meridian

Advertisement