Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Battleship

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

Absolutely full of plotholes and unanswered questions (sequel anyone?) but I have to admit I thought it wasn't bad tbh. I've seen far, far worse, eg Skyline to Transformers 2 & 3.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

Absolutely full of plotholes and unanswered questions (sequel anyone?) but I have to admit I thought it wasn't bad tbh. I've seen far, far worse, eg Skyline to Transformers 2 & 3.

It was better than expected, but it was crap, I can't believe they make this ****e!

I've never seen a Transformers movie, thankfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,005 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

cronin_j wrote: »
    Saw this in the I sense cinema in Blanchardstown last night. Delighted I did. The special effects are brilliant. I think watching this on the small screen it wouldn't have the same impact.

About the film itself: it's full of cheese, it's really cheesy but cheesy in a good way I think. (if there is such a thing). I would echo the independence day and Armageddon comments. But I thoroughly enjoyed those films when they came out.

Anyway just about everything gets blown up, Guns, hot women, what more could you want? For the ladies my girlfriend assures me that there is plenty of eye candy there too.

What's the isense screen like in Blanch? Going to The Avengers there during the week. The reviews for The Point screen are poor as the bottom of the screen is blocked but I only found one brief mention of the Blanch one.

Cheers

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Just back from it, i was sure it was going to be a 20-30 ship battle against the aliens. Plot was to be expected.

A couple of things
    1) The aliens comm ship crashing on the way in.
    I mean come on, the fly across the galaxy and hit a bus in orbit
    2) At their level of advancement still using projectile weapons
    3) They were very threat aware i.e. if something wasnt a threat they didnt attack. That's just stupid. You are here to colonise you kill every enemy combatant whether they are posing a threat or not
    4) And the handbreak turn with the anchor i mean come on
    5) Finally the ships can fly across the galaxy yet keep belly flopping on the water, go vertical and rain down death from above

But despite that it was still enjoyable albeit it on a scale of 1-10 about a 4.5 even with the brain at the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,580 ✭✭✭✭klose

Just back from it there, tis alright id rather have seen it on dvd then paying for the cinema though.
    Its pretty cheesey, some of the lines are so cringey even one guy in the film says "who talks like that" gas..
    The ships remind me of metal gear ray from mgs2 and the aliens remind me of the guys from halo.
    Like someone said full of plotholes and is unnescesarily long, does there always have to be a love story in films? The explosions were pretty kick ass as was the alien ships, leave your brain outside kind of film.

EDIT: Oh and rihanna is sooooooooooooooooooooo hot in it :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,388 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Stupid stupid movie. Went in thinking it was going to be rubbish and it actually turned out to be worse then that:D. Brain or no brain it sucked for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Boo Radley

The sequel.

dU5gS.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

Boo Radley wrote: »
    The sequel.

dU5gS.jpg

That's not actually the sequel. It's just a poster made to look like it is. Also the poster says April 2012, which is when the Original Battleship came out, so it's hardly a sequel. Even using Google you can disprove the validity of that poster.

Dermighty wrote: »
    That's not actually the sequel. It's just a poster made to look like it is. Also the poster says April 2012, which is when the Original Battleship came out, so it's hardly a sequel. Even using Google you can disprove the validity of that poster.

Fairly certain that the poster was pulling the piss.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Boo Radley

Thanks for clearing that up Sherlock.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭Skinfull

eb6.jpg?1307463786

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭p to the e

I know. He doesn't even look that hungry.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

3327680+_13acb23c760a88a5fd38ae02ba10bdf9.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

I have a really diverse list of movies I enjoy, ranging from the likes of the godfather to Doom.

I can understand people not enjoying this movie (it was far from perfect), but why exactly do some people bother going to see it ?

I expected it to have hammy dialogue, plotholes aplenty, great special effects, basic predictable story and the yanks saving the day. I also expected it to be something on the lines of Transformers . . And most of all, I went to this movie for escapism, to completely leave my brain outside. In this regard it pretty much ticked all the boxes.

Battleship was by no means a classic, but I enjoyed it for exactly what it was and I dont believe it was misold on trailers or that it tried to be anything other then a popcorn flick . . I have seen far more dissapointing movies recently, the hunger games being one of the least entertaining movies that had little going for it a prime example . .

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Drumpot wrote: »
    why exactly do some people bother going to see it ?

It was raining.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

Awful, awful film. I'm so raging, I wasted 2 hours of my life at this shìte.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭BarackPyjama

Hahahaha

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭weiland79

Drumpot wrote: »
    the yanks saving the day.

FFS man spoiler tags:pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

It was raining.

Was the Battleship screen the only one not wet . .:D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,965 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Boo Radley wrote: »
    The sequel.
    Yes, it's a spoof. It would help if he credited his source: Lord Gnome on the occasionally NSFW b3ta.com.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,081 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

MJ23 wrote: »
    Awful, awful film. I'm so raging, I wasted 2 hours of my life at this shìte.
    And no doubt you'll not expand on why it's "awful". Did you not know it would be cheesy? Did the movie itself not comment on it's own cheesiness? Was there not loads of explosions and special effects, that are very apparent in both the poster and the trailers?

I don't even think there are as many plotholes as people think and are just using it as a lazy excuse. It's not a classic and probably one that I wouldn't enjoy as much outside the cinema, but there was plenty of character buildup for a blockbuster. I love people complaining it's too slow at the start and then complaining that there's no characterisation which is what that period of the movie is trying to do.

Ultimately most of the complaints about this movie are lazy and unsubstantiated, I can understand it's not their type of movie but they'll probably all think the Avengers is the movie of the year this week...

Liam O wrote: »
    Ultimately most of the complaints about this movie are lazy and unsubstantiated

That's because it's not worth the effort.

I brought the kids because it was raining, and literally the only thing worth mentioning to my wife afterwards, the sole interesting detail in the whole farrago of worn-out clichés, plot holes and explosions was that Rihanna got to play a sailor who wasn't in the movie to shag anyone, take her clothes off or die for a cheap reaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,081 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

That's because it's not worth the effort.

I brought the kids because it was raining, and literally the only thing worth mentioning to my wife afterwards, the sole interesting detail in the whole farrago of worn-out clichés, plot holes and explosions was that Rihanna got to play a sailor who wasn't in the movie to shag anyone, take her clothes off or die for a cheap reaction.
    There's that word plot holes again without anything to back it up. If it's not worth the effort, why are you contributing to a film board about it?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Saw this on Monday. My god it was awful...and i loved it :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Jacksquat

Went to see this yesterday and enjoyed it a lot. A great way to spend a couple of hours and just forget everything else. If you want a serious in-depth movie go somewhere else. If you want to cheer for earth and watch big explosions with a cliche helping of American and world pride then perfect. Rihanna playing with big guns always helps!

Jacksquat wrote: »
    If you want to cheer for earth and watch big explosions

go and see The Avengers.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Lads, what was the song playing at the end when he is talking to Liam Neeson... Can't remember it for the life of me and can't find it online.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

DrumSteve wrote: »
    Lads, what was the song playing at the end when he is talking to Liam Neeson... Can't remember it for the life of me and can't find it online.

Sorry, edited, had the wrong video in there at first!

Saw it last night. Pretty bad movie, but entirely watchable, effects were very good. Cringed at the 'drifting' part though...hammiest thing I've seen on the the big screen in a very long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Sorry, edited, had the wrong video in there at first!

Saw it last night. Pretty bad movie, but entirely watchable, effects were very good. Cringed at the 'drifting' part though...hammiest thing I've seen on the the big screen in a very long time.

Ah it wasn't that one, it was some whiny indie one! It's buggin the hell outta me!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭kitty9

this thread needs some rihanna

Advertisement