Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Battleship

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,020 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

You know, for the longest time I was reluctant to trot out the Transformers comparisons because I figured it was lazy, and both time and subsequent footage would drive the movies apart in terms of look n' feel.

But uhhhh no really, that film looks an almost shameless clone of Transformers. Not just the SFX, but the audio too. You'd think at least one of the creative directors put their hand up and point this out. Hell, even the cinematography looks to be aping Bay's style.

I also hate the fact that these CGI effects are so hyper-stylised and so insanely detailed, they've shot past "believable" and now occupy some weird hyper-reality that's just unbelievable in a different way, if that makes any sense. Someone needs to rein in these FX houses so they stop going overboard; despite being seamless in compositing, the actual geometry is just ludicrous & over-engineered. Not to mention the flippant defiance of physics. Just because the camera & physics software in your 3D apps allow you to do these silly maneuvers, doesn't mean you should.

And Liam. Liam really; stop making these kind of movies. You're better than this. Yes you kicked ass in Taken and we loved it. But enough!

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,194 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Yea the FX lo and design look ridiculously like transformers (and the alien armour looks like Master Chief) and if they had just showed action snippets in that trailer it would easily be mistaken for transformers 4.

Having said that, since Transformers made tonnes of money its no surprise they're marketing this as Transformers with a Battleship sticker on the box. I still think there's a good chance it will turn out a reasonably competent summer blockbuster, just because its marketed like one of the most successful film series of all time does not mean its going to be as bad as it. Its got better actors and a better director so I'm willing to give it a chance until I've seen it (and then I will gladly bitch about how crap it turned out to be after I handed over cash to see it as the case may be :D thats right folks, I'm part of the problem :pac:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

In will watch this just to see Hong Kong getting destroyed, but that is about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

you know there is another angle in this.

if this film pays off its an entire crew they can bring in to do the transformers films when bay eventually fecks off.

the bloke clearly doesnt want to do em anymore and continually gets roped back in on the promise's of greenlights for personal films and jobs for his crew (which in fairness to him he's very loyal to).

personally im hoping that means one day we could get a TF film that looks as good as bays but is as faithfull to what theyve pulled off with GI JOE.

im no fan of JOE but even IM piqued by the sequel with bruce willis in it.

so this could not only be a shameless cash in, it could be a dry run for an eventual reboot.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 12 CharAdriel

The definitive proof that Hollwood has totally ran out of new and interesting ideas. The game wasn't even that interesting, yet someone decided that a whole movie was needed to fully explore all the aspects of the game. Fail.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

I noticed that its opening in tonight.

I think I might go along.... I don't have high hopes though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭kevohmsford

Might be worth a look but not sure if it is worth seeing in the cinema

• Registered Users Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭kevohmsford

It is out in cinema's here next Wednesday the 11th April

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭OldeCinemaSoz

We'll be heading to the gorey cinema on the opening weekend for this one.

I think i can stomach Rhiana for 2 hours plus once the little lad is happy.

:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭FrostyJack

I think i can stomach Rhiana for 2 hours plus once the little lad is happy.

:cool:

You may want to rephraze that :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,020 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Wait, people are actually contemplating seeing this? Is this a forum of cinematic masochists?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,194 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

pixelburp wrote: »
    Wait, people are actually contemplating seeing this? Is this a forum of cinematic masochists?

Meh, peter berg hasn't made a truly awful film yet (a few mediocre ones and two really good ones). Might end up being harmless fun. either way I'll wait to see what the word of mouth is before I decide whether i want to part with money to see it or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,779 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

I want this film to be good (mostly because a board game movie trend would hopefully fund Hungry, Hungry Hippos), yet the fact that the Irish press screening is tomorrow morning - the day of release - doesn't bode too well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭Skinfull

pixelburp wrote: »

What should we all only go to see period dramas and oscar fodder? Pfffft!

This movie is going to be hilarious! Neason + Kitch vs giant, alien, transforming robotic things that fly at them in (hopefully) slow motion!!! Can't wait! :D

My only fear is that no one will say "You have sunk my battleship" or some deviation of it! :eek:

Skinfull wrote: »

Where do I say we should? Lazy justification to excuse movies like this tbh*. Maybe some of us simply set our standards for action a bit higher than 'Transformers 3.5' :)

[*] The obvious caveat being that it isn't out yet, the reviews may reveal it to be a decent flick, but the evidence so far says no :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,230 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Or we could all go to see Le Harve, Into the Abyss, Kid With a Bike, Cabin in the Woods, Damsels in Distress, Headhunters, Le Grande Illusion re-release... You know, films that don't look like steaming turds.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,102 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Or we could all go to see Le Harve, Into the Abyss, Kid With a Bike, Cabin in the Woods, Damsels in Distress, Headhunters, Le Grande Illusion re-release... You know, films that don't look like steaming turds.

I totally agree, there is a distinct air of anti-intellectualism on this forum sometimes.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,230 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I totally agree, there is a distinct air of anti-intellectualism on this forum sometimes.

I honestly can't abide by junk films like this being supported with everything else dismissed as 'period films and Oscar bait', tongue-in-cheek or not. Sorry Skinfull, but it really reads like such a defeatist attitude :(

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

How I long for just a modicum of intelligence to seep back into cinema...

Imagine living back in the 70's, going to the cinema and watching films like One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, Chinatown, The Godfather, The Exorcist, Dog Day Afternoon, Badlands and The Sting. Studios are shelling out money to directors who make good films with actors who cared about making good films.

Then imagine Marty McFly comes back from 2012 and tells you in the future, studios will be shelling out money to directors who make films based on board games, theme park rides and toys with actors who really don't give a sh!t about making good films.

Blockbusters really shouldn't always aim so low. Jesus, look at the likes of Jaws, Close Encounters, Back to the Future, Raiders of the Lost Ark and Superman. They had some great actors, playing interesting characters with scripts that came from writers who strived to entertain without treating the audience like they were stupid.

It kinda depresses me that these days, a semi-intelligent blockbuster is a rarity. Every now and then, you'll get an Inception or a Dark Knight, but by and large you'll more likely get a Transformers 3, Pirates of the Caribbean 4 or a Battleship - and they'll make money, regardless of how bad they are!

I'll probably be accused of film snobbery for that view, but I don't care. I'll happily watch any blockbuster made by a director that cares about the characters, the material and me, the viewer. Otherwise, count me out.

I just think its unfair to write a movie off on its marketing campaign. Yes, Battleship will likely be crap, but does anyone know for a fact that it will? No.

• Advertisement

Mickeroo wrote: »
    I just think its unfair to write a movie off on its marketing campaign. Yes, Battleship will likely be crap, but does anyone know for a fact that it will? No.

I do. These "films" are glorifed video games devoid of any humanity, give me Herzog any day.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

How I long for just a modicum of intelligence to seep back into cinema...

Imagine living back in the 70's, going to the cinema and watching films like One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, Chinatown, The Godfather, The Exorcist, Dog Day Afternoon, Badlands and The Sting. Studios are shelling out money to directors who make good films with actors who cared about making good films.

Then imagine Marty McFly comes back from 2012 and tells you in the future, studios will be shelling out money to directors who make films based on board games, theme park rides and toys with actors who really don't give a sh!t about making good films.

Blockbusters really shouldn't always aim so low. Jesus, look at the likes of Jaws, Close Encounters, Back to the Future, Raiders of the Lost Ark and Superman. They had some great actors, playing interesting characters with scripts that came from writers who strived to entertain without treating the audience like they were stupid.

It kinda depresses me that these days, a semi-intelligent blockbuster is a rarity. Every now and then, you'll get an Inception or a Dark Knight, but by and large you'll more likely get a Transformers 3, Pirates of the Caribbean 4 or a Battleship - and they'll make money, regardless of how bad they are!

I'll probably be accused of film snobbery for that view, but I don't care. I'll happily watch any blockbuster made by a director that cares about the characters, the material and me, the viewer. Otherwise, count me out.

Studios will turn around and blame piracy for the drop in quality though :rolleyes:

I do. These "films" are glorifed video games devoid of any humanity, give me Herzog any day.

Cool! I'm eager to hear specific criticisms of it so..... i do enjoy Herzog myself but I can't say i'd equate him with films like Battleship.
    Dempsey wrote: »
    Studios will turn around and blame piracy for the drop in quality though :rolleyes:

There was **** films in the 70s too, they're not remembered now because they were ****.

Stop hating on video games :( The many dozens of superb games are far and beyond the narrative quality of bad Hollywood blockbusters.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Q_Ball

2.5 stars from SFX. Apparently
    If nothing else, the big finalé is worthy of the name, and that can be rare amongst blockbusters these days.

Can't find a link to the review on the site but google had it cached. Not sure I can post the link but it's not hard to find ;)

This is tantamount to movie snobbery! :rolleyes:

What if I've seen the ones you mentioned, save for the ones that aren't out yet, and I just want to enjoy a bit of popcorn action with little or no brain power required!

If you deny yourself these movies then you will miss out on trashy fun like The Room & Leprechaun! This could be pure entertainment! Yes it could be awful painful viewing (like wrath of the titans!) but don't walk away from it just because its based on a video game or *board game.

*Reel Steal is a great fun flick!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Stop hating on video games :( The many dozens of superb games are far and beyond the narrative quality of bad Hollywood blockbusters.

Describing a film as being like a video game isn't necessarily an insult toward video games though. I mean, I would describe the Transformers films as being video games in the sense that I would rather play them than watch them. And it goes both ways. Uncharted 3, for example, would be far more effective as a film than as a game IMO. Neither is a complement toward the films/games in question as I'm suggesting they failed at their respective task, but I'm not dismissing all games/films either. There is something undeniably video game-like about modern Hollywood blockbusters.

And speaking of Real Steel, I was in HMV in Grafton Street a while back and it was playing on one of the televisions. There was a crowd of about 10 people standing there utterly transfixed by it. I found it quite bizarre.

And yes, I may have been "snobbishly" browsing the Word Cinema section at the time. :D

This is tantamount to movie snobbery! :rolleyes:

What if I've seen the ones you mentioned, save for the ones that aren't out yet, and I just want to enjoy a bit of popcorn action with little or no brain power required!

If you deny yourself these movies then you will miss out on trashy fun like The Room & Leprechaun! This could be pure entertainment! Yes it could be awful painful viewing (like wrath of the titans!) but don't walk away from it just because its based on a video game or *board game.

*Reel Steal is a great fun flick!

If not liking braindead muck is snobbery, then I'm a proud snob :)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭ziedth

Not liking it is perfectly fine but lording it over those who might like "braindead muck" is quite frankly sad.

• Advertisement

If you don't like it then lets shrug and walk away, but you don't like it, and you haven't seen it, and you are dismissing it without a glance! :rolleyes: That's snobbery. Anyways, back on topic...

With Transformer movie comparisons, I think this could be better that Transformers 2, and lets see if it can show us some of the charm that Transformers 1 had.

I like Taylor Kitch and who doesnt like Neason!

Advertisement