Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Battleship

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    Its much closer to independence day then it is to the transformers franchise.

This.

It felt like they were working off the ID4 script.
    When the alien grabbed his head and he was like "I can see what they are going to do" I kept feeling like Bill Pullman was gonna jump out and tell him to nuke the bastards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

I don't have the words to describe how ridiculously awesome this movie was -
    seriously
    :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭Skinfull

Took the nephews to the flicks today and they opted for this and I thoroughly enjoyed it again.
    Best bits for me were Fixing up the SS Missouri montage, Old guy slow motion walk towards the cameras

The earth navy shot first, the aliens seems only to retaliate. They had a "human" side (to paraphrase Kirk) and we'rent out for decimation of life on earth,
    but more than that, they were designed really well. The movie has flaws, loads of them, not to mention the liquid physics in the ocean but its cracking good fun!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

Yep agree with most of the above, was thoroughly enjoyable and the best thing I've seen in the cinema for a while

The fact that the aliens
    weren't faceless robots with no emotion or motivation
    was something I definitely wasn't expecting, and always makes a film much more enjoyable

I got a good laugh at the numerous board game references, like
    the overhead shot of all the ships, the buoy-battle screen, the aliens firing yellow pegs into the ships, and the actual battleship being built to withstand attack and so you need more hits to kill it. The Beyblades of Death, also a Hasbro toy by the way, were hilarious

My one criticism would be that
    after building up the brother's relationship, there's little or no reaction to his death
    . Rihanna was far less annoying than I thought she'd be - she wasn't exceptional but neither did she do anything wrong

Would definitely recommend seeing it for some great fun

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

got to see this yesterday.

i thought it was great craic.

ya get exactly what ya expect from it with a fair dollop of humour i didnt see coming.

it IS pastiche central though.

the channeling of TF was obvious from the ads and theres plenty of shape shifting mularky going on with a victoria secrets model wandering about, but theres a fair whack of iron man 1 in this too -they even rip off the closing credits from that one to a different rock track :) - with elements of space cowboys thrown in for good measure.

but its done so well you actualy dont care.

apparently the bit where they basically do the game with the seismic bouys goes on for 15mins but it flew by to me as it actually managed to get a bit of genuine tension from it.

ok theres stuff thats padding, im thinking the adventures of the blonde and the legless guy here, but in the main its a more than competant action film with some great set peices.

to be honest this was a hell of alot better than it shouldve been and if what ya want is a popcorn muncher this'll do the part nicely.

even neeson was class in this in his brief role. i got a great laugh out of his answer to the question that took the leading man the whole movie to get to !

:)

7/10 from me.

not perfect but very entertaining and an example of a film that you need to see in the cinema to get the full effect as it wont look that great on the telly and the sound will be diluted massively.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

the channeling of TF was obvious from the ads and theres plenty of shape shifting mularky going on with a victoria secrets model

what surprised me is the trailers heavily played up the *it's like transformers* elements and I found it to be a thankfully very long stretch away from the transformers films despite covering a lot of the same ground that by the time the film ended I didnt feel there was any connection between the two.

In fact I was thinking last night that you could easily put a list together of all the same tropes both films do that battleship did either in a way that a) was actually entertaining b) not offensive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

Also, just to emphasise how this film subverts expectation, the line "he sunk my battleship" is not mentioned once :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

whats bugging me now is if they can do this with a product that has no story or characters to draw on what could transformers have been like if they kept bay the hell away from it as that franchise actually does have a decent universe to pull from?

after seeing what battleship turned into im hoping they drop him as quick as they can as i'd be quite happy with a reboot from these guys.

its the first film in a long time to capture at least some of the feel of ID4. the old foggies and the science nerd were right out of that sentimentality
    loved the bit where he kept getting video called by every major organisation when talking to his superior (NASA/CIA/PENTAGON etc )

Hell i didnt even mind rhianna (though the baseball hat thing did bug me as someone pointed it out here on the thread earlier and i couldnt help keeping an eye out on if it fell off :) . word from the critics on the radio is they think she didnt want to cut her hair so it was the easiest way to cover it up)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

Daemos wrote: »
    Also, just to emphasise how this film subverts expectation, the line "he sunk my battleship" is not mentioned once :eek:
    yeah but in transformers optimus prime never once said auto bots transform and roll out, its very disrespectful in both films:D

good pop corn fun, i do wonder how yer man kitsch someone Ive never heard of before managed to get cast as a lead in this a $200m film and john carter a $250m, who the hell is this guy:confused::confused:

mo-halo mother ****er:D

also to all the people complaining before seeing it you shouldn't take life so seriously you'll never get out alive;):p:D

Hell i didnt even mind rhianna (though the baseball hat thing did bug me as someone pointed it out here on the thread earlier and i couldnt help keeping an eye out on if it fell off :) . word from the critics on the radio is they think she didnt want to cut her hair so it was the easiest way to cover it up)

I reckon its because after they cut her hair to give her that Navy marine look, see blended in too easily with all the male background characters, so they gave her a hat to wear so she'd be easily spotted. Also... what was she doing during the soccer game?!

Here's hoping they wont make a sequel!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

Skinfull wrote: »
    I reckon its because after they cut her hair to give her that Navy marine look, see blended in too easily with all the male background characters, so they gave her a hat to wear so she'd be easily spotted. Also... what was she doing during the soccer game?!

Here's hoping they wont make a sequel!
    i can see this being the fast five of 2012, itll just plug away in the background for the next 2 months a rack up a decent BO,

but id doubt they'd make a sequel, although i wouldn't mind a decent alien invasion series if they could do it right,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 NEScart

When I first heard about this movie it made me stop and shake my head ... a movie based upon the classic board game?! but with some sort of aliens or what not? :pac:

Anways. I am sure I aint the only one who will download rent this just to see what its about when it comes out :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,779 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

NEScart wrote: »
    When I first heard about this movie it made me stop and shake my head ... a movie based upon the classic board game?! but with some sort of aliens or what not? :pac:

Anways. I am sure I aint the only one who will download rent this just to see what its about when it comes out :pac:

To be honest, although it's a hard sell, a film like this deserves to be seen in the best quality possible. The budget itself is unofficially well over $250m and a cam version wouldn't do it justice

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭Tefral

Saw this in the I sense cinema in Blanchardstown last night. Delighted I did. The special effects are brilliant. I think watching this on the small screen it wouldn't have the same impact.

About the film itself: it's full of cheese, it's really cheesy but cheesy in a good way I think. (if there is such a thing). I would echo the independence day and Armageddon comments. But I thoroughly enjoyed those films when they came out.

Anyway just about everything gets blown up, Guns, hot women, what more could you want? For the ladies my girlfriend assures me that there is plenty of eye candy there too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭BarackPyjama

Well that was the most expensive US Navy recruitment ad I've ever seen!

Actually quite enjoyed it though to be fair. I got exactly what I was expecting - brainless nonsense which kept me entertained and munching on my popcorn for a couple of hours.

Pros: Very stylishly executed visuals and effects, the aliens were bad ass, Brooklyn Decker and Rihanna are very pleasing to the eye.

Cons: Complete and utter cheese - more cringe worthy moments than all of the American Pie movies put together, and not in a good way! But I was kind of expecting that.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,356 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

I was disappointed that the scene from the trailers were Neeson is asked what guns to fire and he says "all of them" wasn't in it

I did spot the director at a battle station during the initial encounter
    anyone else notice that the scene where he breaks into a store is a complete rip-off of a real incident often seen on funny video shows, I know it's probably a "homage" but still

Skerries wrote: »
    anyone else notice that the scene where he breaks into a store is a complete rip-off of a real incident often seen on funny video shows, I know it's probably a "homage" but still

Yes! I said this to my mate when the scene started... "isnt this...blah blah blah!"

Still though, funny as! :D

Cheesy movie goodness! but its no Rocky 3!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 963 ✭✭✭NinjaK

saw it last night, good film for the cinema, leave the brain at the door though:D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Left with a smile on my face which is all that I look for when going to the cinema. People criticising it for cheesy dialogue are missing the point that it's fully aware that it's being cheesy. Sure the best line of the film is when the scientist lad says
    "Who talks like that"
    to the ex-Marine guy :D It's almost a parody of what people are criticising it for being along with it being damn entertaining. Using real life footage from Youtube and the London riots among other things was great as well.

Overall, well worth the money I paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,824 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Liam O wrote: »
    Left with a smile on my face which is all that I look for when going to the cinema. People criticising it for cheesy dialogue are missing the point that it's fully aware that it's being cheesy. Sure the best line of the film is when the scientist lad says
    "Who talks like that"
    to the ex-Marine guy :D It's almost a parody of what people are criticising it for being along with it being damn entertaining. Using real life footage from Youtube and the London riots among other things was great as well.

Overall, well worth the money I paid.

Very much agreed.

I enjoyed it, trailers i seen last year i wasnt pushed on it, but the more recent ones willed me to go check it out.

Happy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

This was such a stupid film. The characters were one dimensional, the Michael Bay-esque shot of the old timers on the Mis, the underwear model acting the hero. The anti hero come good during an hour of explosions, alien invasion, sinking ships,
    playing battleship with water bouys
    . It was truly ridiculous.

And I frikken LOVED IT!!!
    I have not have that much fun watching shít blow up, in a long long time.
    It is better than any of the Transformers films and I am sorry but I found that they knew just exactly how cheesey it was and played it up to the full.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭OldeCinemaSoz

i loved the whole wall of noise of the thing.

it's almost unrelenting when seen in a decent cinema.

:)

as a film, what can u say? it battles hard but the aliens look
    gary glitter

:D

still, rhinaa dishes up a nice turn; sorta like vasquez without
    the adult language.

pretty much like i expected. the little lad liked it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

I saw this last night.

This movie is so ****ing pointless!

Dermighty wrote: »
    I saw this last night.

This movie is so ****ing pointless!
    In what way?

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭OldeCinemaSoz

anybody going to see a film called battleship and coming
    away disappointed must be living in a cave.

:rolleyes::D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭Geekness1234

Can someone give me a run-down of the plot as I probably won't be able to see it.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭WatchWolf

Can someone give me a run-down of the plot as I probably won't be able to see it.:(

Plot?

WatchWolf wrote: »
    Plot?
    Ah now it has more of a plot than 90% of Hollywood blockbusters. Also doesn't pretend that it's a masterpiece like a lot of them do. Berg is a very good director and I enjoyed the mini-Friday Night Lights reunion of my two favourite actors from the show. Not sure what everyone was expecting but for the 2nd time this year a Taylor Kitsch movie is getting an unfair rep imo...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

I'm surprised and disappointed that so many people enjoyed this. I wanted this to be my dirty little secret.

There has to be a drinking game involving rhianna in this there has to be.

It was like 25 movies in one. For a while at the start I thought I was in the wrong screen it took so long building a "back story". Then the amount of filler in between was scandalous.

Basically if they wanted to they could of had this like a pixar short before transformers.

I think I will stick on 2012 now for my second serving of American cheese.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭jupiterjack

saw it yesterday and the first 30mins were a complete waste, the rest of it then was just average id say, but it is worth a look.

Advertisement