Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garmin Megathread-Ask your questions here-See post 1 on how to search thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

No it won't connect that's the issue... And I've deleted and reinstalled..

Considering a watch reset 🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭webpal

Try the chat on the garmin website too

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,204 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Unpair and pair again?

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭CassieManson

Not exactly the same issue but I recently had problems with my Garmin 645 music trying to get it to sync with spofify. I thought it was the charger cable but turned out to be the USB adaptor I was using. Do you ever get a message saying the cable is unsupported?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭T-Bird

I had similar bluetooth issue with my watch and got onto Garmin. They eventually agreed to replace it after I got fed up with all the tests they wanted me to do. No issues with replacement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭chabsey

Given that this is the place for Garmin related questions, here's one I can't figure out.

I've a Fenix 6 pro and also have a Garmin pro chest strap HRM. Does anyone know if the Fenix will report HRM based on the chest strap automatically once I start an activity or do I need to do something to use it instead of the built-in HRM?

As a follow on question - I used Zwift (connected to my chest strap) on a treadmill for the first time today with this chest strap after a few months of outdoor zone 2 training using the chest strap connected directly to my watch (or so I presumed, see first question above).

I ran a normal easy run, reached my desired HR in Zwift and noticed two things. Firstly my 'easy' run seemed tougher than normal - I've about 3 months of daily runs at this HR so you get used to a certain feel for these kinds of runs and this was tougher than normal. I also noticed when glancing at my watch during the run that it was constantly reporting a HR 10 - 13 beats higher than Zwift. I hadn't started an activity on my watch so was it using the built in HRM or the chest strap - I had no way of knowing.

TL/DR - Do Garmin watches use the chest strap HRM only when recording an activity? How do you confirm, when starting an activity that it's using the chest strap?

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Unknownability

You need to connect the HRM everytime you use it and you will get a pop up saying HRM connected. The watch will then be using it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

I’ve the HRM plus when I put it on my 935 detects it straight away so it’s getting the HR from the strap.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭yellowbear

You'll know if the strap is being used if you look under the watch and your wrist and the green light of the wrist hr isn't on.

Just checked and if this is correct (the green light turning off if it's not being used) then I can confirm if you're wearing a Garmin HRM but not currently in an activity on your watch, then the watch continues to use its own light-based HRM and not the chest strap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭sk8board

my 255 pops up a small notification and buzz that my external Hr strap is connected on that screen where it’s searching for gps lock.

you can also check if it’s connected during a run, by pausing, then hold the middle button for 2sec’s, scroll down to ‘sensors and accessories’ and it shows what’s connected, and you can search/reconnect to something, and then get on with your run.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,653 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Could anyone recommend and good garmin running watch with Spotify and the golf app?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Reg'stoy

There is an option to search for specific features on the garmin website, just be mindful to check for audio prompts, if you want to get feedback on pace/distance etc while running. If you don't need feedback, then the venu and vivoactive range would suit you, otherwise an upper range forerunner watch, do exactly what it says on your tin.

This is very specific, but since the garmin app UI got a big update during the week (on iOS anyway), the ability to recategorise intervals is broken - it only shows lap 1.

this was a 13k run on Thursday and only the first split shows - the same thing happened on todays run, but every run previous to this update is ok.

if you’re looking for this setting, it’s ‘edit activity’ - scroll to the end and tap ‘show more data’ and then tap ‘intervals’

anyone else see this behaviour?

I use this setting all the time as I run a lot of sessions in groups - rather than creating a workout and preloading it (and usually being out of sync with others), I just use the lap button during the session and then retrospectively create the session afterwards

tks

here’s what it should look like:

Post edited by sk8board on

So my Forerunner 235 was finally about to give out (battery failing) and was looking into a like for like but after one too many Achilles ruptures I've been told running and field sports are a thing or the past.

So, just about to be cleared for a return to exercise. Swimming, walking, cycling, gym, and HIIT are what I've been told to focus on. What's a good all-rounder that is accurate enough for general tracking what doesn't break the bank?

If you're looking for a 24/7 watch, then a Venu or vivoactive watch would probably suit you, cheaper again but more sports orientated, would be a 55, which you would only wear for activities.

Vivoactive 4 or the one here?

https://www.garmin.com/en-IE/p/150767

Wow, that's an old watch, so no. But at that same price range, you could get a Venu 2 Sq or 245 watch, both would do what you want, and not break the bank. Have a look at CEX, or indeed adverts for second hand watches, a lot of people upgrade their watches every couple of years, so some bargains can be got on some higher grade watches, such as a 745 or 255.

To be honest, lower priced watches aren't great at swimming or weights, if by HIIT you mean cardio, again they will record HR but not full body movements correctly, you will get onscreen demos, but would you rather look at your watch face, or a youtube video.

My personal opinion, the Venu 2 Sq is a nice looking watch (apple style) nice screen and does enough of what you want, and can be worn 24/7, but if you only want a watch to wear while doing activities, then go for the 55 or for a few extra bob the 245.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,387 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Hi

Has anyone ever recalibrated their Garmin? Have a Fenix 5S, four years old, completely off for the last few months. Used to pick up the satellite immediately, now might not pick it up at all. Did a 12k run last nite, told me it was 9.3k. Swims look like this, should have been 2.4k, finished up at about half that. Did a factory reset but no better. Any ideas?

Thanks

2 options I can think of -

1. try change the satellites it’s using (I had to do this) https://youtu.be/Bmo6MEZ9TM0?si=unaw7Q8tS4v3euMA
    2. Have you a second garmin you could find or borrow and wear both on the same activity, with the same satellite network selected in the settings? It would confirm if the gps module on your fenix is the issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭CJay1

Can anyone who syncs their Garmin to Spotify help me out? Is it possible to sync albums? It's only giving me the option to sync playlists. I have a 945

I would create a new playlist, add the album to it, and then sync the new playlist. I have a Podcast playlist, I populate it on the spotify app, rather than having to search on my watch. When I add a new podcast, after deleting the listened to, I just sync via my watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭CJay1

Thanks , that's working perfectly now!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,653 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Has anyone been able to get the ECG app working for the Venu 2?

Edit; sorted

Post edited by Mantis Toboggan on

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Inforapenny

Hi, just bought a Garmin Venu 3. Never had a Garmin before, previously had a Polar Watch which I got a good few years out of.

A couple of questions that hopefully someone may be able to answer.

1) Is there any sort of screen protector or the likes I should consider to getting to give it extra protection? If so, can anyone advise on where best to purchase.

2) I used to wear my Polar when playing a bit of social 5 a Side, thinking of wearing the Garmin too but it is definitely a bit more lightweight and dont want to have someone smash into it while playing football, would some sort of sports wristband be fine to put over the watch while playing without affecting the tracking accuracy?

Thank you

Make sure you sync it with a computer to get the latest almanac file (which tells it where to anticipate finding the satellites and can lead to delays syncing if it's out of date.)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,821 ✭✭✭budhabob

Can't help with your questions, but wondering how do you find the Venu 3? My vivoactive 4 is on the way out after alot of abuse so the Venu 3 is top of my list (mic / speaker for cycling & open water swimming the key drivers

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭omicron

Anyone see any deals on watches today? Specifically forerunner 965 or 265s?

53 degrees north have the 965 for €585 think that might be the best I've found.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

That’s the cheapest I’ve seen the 965 I got it off Stapeltons for €599 back in the July.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭omicron

Looking again they actually have 10% off list price on all the Garmins today only. The run hub also have money off a few of them.

Advertisement