Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garmin Megathread-Ask your questions here-See post 1 on how to search thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭CassieManson

Jim Gazebo wrote: »
    Garmin Forerunner 35 GPS Running Watch with Wrist-Based Heart Rate and Workouts - Black https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01K9W5EJ0/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_gqWBDbGWY85TJ

This a decent deal? I am looking at jumping into the triathlon world and want to track stuff more accurate. But I don't want to break a bank so need something cheap that works. Thanks for your help.

That is a good deal for a good watch. I have used this for 2 years without problems. You can use it while swimming but it does not track your swimming performance.

They are selling it off now because there is a new version out - the 45.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Jim Gazebo

That is a good deal for a good watch. I have used this for 2 years without problems. You can use it while swimming but it does not track your swimming performance.

That's great, thank you. Not worried about the swimming tracking. Been using the mi fit app with my phone but the gps jams a lot and drives me insane, I assume the watch works off its own gps?

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭CassieManson

Jim Gazebo wrote: »
    That's great, thank you. Not worried about the swimming tracking. Been using the mi fit app with my phone but the gps jams a lot and drives me insane, I assume the watch works off its own gps?

Yes it uses its own GPS and can also do activity tracking eg counting steps, heart rate when not working off GPS. I use it as my everyday watch and it connects to my android phone..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Jim Gazebo

Yes it uses its own GPS and can also do activity tracking eg counting steps, heart rate when not working off GPS. I use it as my everyday watch and it connects to my android phone..

Thanks very much. I wonder will it drop more or should I just take the hit now and get something that actually will work

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

Hi!
    I've just got this watch. I love the look of it / flexible strap etc.

I just want it for pace and distance. Is there any way of turning off the heart rate monitor?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,963 ✭✭✭opus

HelenAnne wrote: »
    Hi!
    I've just got this watch. I love the look of it / flexible strap etc.

I just want it for pace and distance. Is there any way of turning off the heart rate monitor?

Don't have that exact model but on my Garmin watch there's a setting called Wrist Heart Rate that lets you turn it off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

opus wrote: »
    Don't have that exact model but on my Garmin watch there's a setting called Wrist Heart Rate that lets you turn it off.

Thanks! I'll have a look (I thought mine might be in Settings, but it's not). (I'll read the book, I just don't have it with me today and am wearing the watch.)

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

HelenAnne wrote: »
    Thanks! I'll have a look (I thought mine might be in Settings, but it's not). (I'll read the book, I just don't have it with me today and am wearing the watch.)

Thanks!

You have to go to your online Garmin Connect account I think. I don't know if you can use the app. On the browser there are 4 icons on the top right, one is 'device and sync status'. If you click on it, you come to a page with 'device settings' and you can turn off heat rate there.

edit/ you can use the app -just click the watch icon on the main page, and then device settings and then unclick heart rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Darren 83

Did a treadmill session with my vivio active 3, I did 1 mile easy so I could calabrate my watch the distance was fine but pace was way off about 2mins off any ideas why this would be?

Would a foot pod improve this?

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Sam the Sham

Darren 83 wrote: »
    Did a treadmill session with my vivio active 3, I did 1 mile easy so I could calabrate my watch the distance was fine but pace was way off about 2mins off any ideas why this would be?

Would a foot pod improve this?

Definitely. Foot pods are very accurate. The accelerometers in the watch itself, given the positioning on a moving arm, are much less accurate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Darren 83

Definitely. Foot pods are very accurate. The accelerometers in the watch itself, given the positioning on a moving arm, are much less accurate.

Any recommendations for a foot pod?

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Sam the Sham

Darren 83 wrote: »
    Any recommendations for a foot pod?

I don't actually own one at the moment. I'm waiting for either a new Garmin footpod (the current one is old and there have been rumours of a new one on the way) or shelling out for a Stryd. Stryds are supposed to be great but are quite expensive (€200 or so). That's because they measure all kinds of other things: running power, wind resistance, etc. The garmin foot pod is pretty basic but it will accurately measure distance on a treadmill. It's also a lot cheaper.

Garmin also has a Running Dynamics pod. This isn't a footpod: you attach it to your clothes. It measures running power, ground contact time. These are things you can also get with the HRM-Run chest strap so if you own one of them, there's no need for the RD pod.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Lazare

Switched from Samsung phone to Huawei recently and am having issues with the connect app auto synching.

I need to open the app and press the watch icon a couple of times for it to connect to it and upload.

Anyone experience this and know how to fix?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,963 ✭✭✭opus

Could be the phone stopping the app running as the Chinese brands are noted for doing that in the name of power saving. I've an ASUS phone & had to manually allow some of the apps to start automatically.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Lazare

opus wrote: »
    Could be the phone stopping the app running as the Chinese brands are noted for doing that in the name of power saving. I've an ASUS phone & had to manually allow some of the apps to start automatically.

Cheers for that, I've changed it's settings, hopefully that fixes it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

Anyone having problems with Spotify on their watch? Usually no issue but since yesterday I cannot play music via spotify. My headphones connect as normal and then I go to play a playlist and just nothing there. From the spotify app on Garmin seems others having issue but dont see any resolution. Kind of need it for marathon this weekend so bit annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Reg'stoy

Just a follow up on my forerunner 30 that I bought second hand and was worried about the battery life and the Dublin Marathon.
    Anyway charged it fully the night before and unplugged it about 7am, switched off the bluetooth on my phone so as to not get updates to it every K. I had the watch set up to display average pace and current heart rate and nothing else. I wanted the pace displayed as I had to stay under 6-23 per K to break 4hrs 30mins (I did by 10 secs) and the heart rate to prompt me to slow down should it get too high.
    It never lost signal and the average pace worked out perfectly, it did display my previous K time after each K for a couple of seconds. I used the average pace and heart rate to pull back on the reins every so often. I didn't want to panic over total time so never checked it the once and relied entirely on the average pace which seemed to me to react quickly to my bad 3K at 33/34/35 and dropped back down once I got going again
    Finished the race with two bars of battery life left and it actually lasted till thursday morning (granted no use of GPS at all).
    Have to say that the watch did exactly what I needed and wanted it to do, so I might just upgrade to a forerunner 45 as to be honest it would have all the functionality I needed.
    So if you are thinking of buying a second hand garmin watch, their battery life seems to hold up very well as they age.

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭racersedge

Looking for a bit of advice/tips/sage wisdom for my Forerunner 235

During Dublin, I struggled to open a gel late on and the upper part of the watch got slathered in some gel. Got home and gave it general clean with a wet wipe and used a tooth pick to try to clean around the red start/stop button on the watch. Despite this, the button doesn't feel the same when I press it down (admittedly, that could also be a placebo effect knowing it got gelled and I'm aware of it.)

Now the issue.. out for a run last week and my watch inexplicably stopped mid-run. Looked to it, saw the red stop image and just restarted it to keep running. Thought I might of flexed the arm in a way that brushed against the stop/start button and caused it this morning. Few other runs last week and they were all fine. Come to this morning though and it did it again - this time it actually shut down and restarted the watch before allowing me to continue (When it restarted, it was still running the same session activity... entirely possible it did the start/restart the week before and I just didn't cop it).

Never had an issue with it before and naturally putting two and two together and thinking what happened during Dublin is the cause of it. Wondering if there are any recommendations on how to clean it? Anything that the watch could be dipped in/left to soak in that might help? Or is something that is ultimately going to be the end of it.

Thanks in advance folks!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,461 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Water and a soft-bristled brush. The FR235 is water-proof, so immersing it should be fine (although personally I'd avoid pressing the buttons while underwater). Would also be worth doing a hard-reset to rule out software issues - this will take it back to factory settings

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, and dark mode). Now available through the extension stores

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Any sign of AIB adding garmin pay to their digital wallet.

Is there any cheap google watch that could be used?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

Forerunner 45S seems to have hit the €150 mark.
    Can anyone recommend it or have ye found any drawbacks?

Going from a 230 and am looking for wrist based HRM as main feature.
    Can workout programs be modded for a full marathon plan?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭finisklin

Hi,

the heart rate monitor of my forerunner 235 has stopped working.

It doesn't kick in like the other settings.

I have checked the watch and the app, and I haven't changed the settings.

The forerunner is 3 years old.

Any advice appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭donnacha

Thought this thread was the most appropriate place to post this. Strap went on a Garmin Forerunner 30 and had been looking to buy a replacement on Amazon as it was 16mths old but could only find copies with average-good reviews. Was able to put the serial number into the Garmin IE website and send a mail requesting a replacement strap as couldn't find any official ones to buy. Within hours I had a reply with a link to a free replacement order sitting in a basket waiting for me to confirm the address. Kudos to Garmin support!

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Sussex18

Anyone else had an issue with their Garmin Forerunner 35 freezing? By that I mean the screen freezing for several seconds, sometimes even minutes then eventually returning to normal? Argos told me to contact Garmin but I think they should replace it. It's only a few weeks oldmThoughts appreciated🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

If it's acting up at this early stage then get a refund or a replacement I would say.

DeepBlue wrote: »
    If it's acting up at this early stage then get a refund or a replacement I would say.
    So stand my ground with Argos? Again the manager said it was a matter for Garmin and to contact them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Sussex18 wrote: »
    So stand my ground with Argos? Again the manager said it was a matter for Garmin and to contact them.

If you contact Garmin customer service they will probably replace it. They are excellent in my experience.

Brought it to Argos again today and they will exchange it once they get the same model in stock again. I've heard that Garmin are good, but they wouldn't presumably cover postage. So as it's new, best to exchange..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,175 ✭✭✭crisco10

Have 735Xt, I know the wrist based HR is only a guideline. But has anyone else experienced it just not really picking up the increase in HR at all when running? (e.g. average HR of 120 over a 20 min 5k)

It seemed to work okay for me over the summer, but recently it's gone pretty crappy. Does sweat (something there isnt much of in winter) help the connection or something?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Santa brought me a new Garmin 735XT this morning, took her out for a test run this evening and was very disappointed in how dim and small the display is compared to my Polar M400

I've looked online to see if there's anything I can do with the display in terms of brightening it up and making the data bigger but can't seem to find anything.

Anyone else here have the same issue and found a fix?.

Advertisement