Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garmin Megathread-Ask your questions here-See post 1 on how to search thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Sam the Sham

US Amazon has the FR645M for US$300: https://www.amazon.com/Garmin-Forerunner-Contactless-Payments-Wrist-Based/dp/B07DPMQ59K/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ref_=Oct_DLandingS_PC_21013648_12&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&linkCode=sl1&tag=dcr07-20&linkId=e53d7283c605839749f2a091032a4b80&language=en_US&th=1

Don't know if you'd be able to join as a Prime member but you could use AddressPal to get it shipped here for €16 or so. Might get hit for the import duties/VAT, but probably not since it's small.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Rmulvany

This morning I plugged by watch (Garmin Forerunner 735xt) into the charging cable earlier today (genuine Garmin cable that came with the watch new).

As soon as it connected the watch froze and then power cycled.

When it powered back on all steps had reset to 0.
    The clock is also almost 5 hours inaccurate, date is out also.

It syncs with the Garmin Connect app but this doesn't reset the time/date and it still does not accurately track my steps!

I have tried to contact Garmin support for... support but all I have is chat or call. Chat doesn't work (still loading half an hour later)

Anyone experience (and sort) anything similar?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Rmulvany wrote: »
    This morning I plugged by watch (Garmin Forerunner 735xt) into the charging cable earlier today (genuine Garmin cable that came with the watch new).

As soon as it connected the watch froze and then power cycled.

When it powered back on all steps had reset to 0.
    The clock is also almost 5 hours inaccurate, date is out also.

It syncs with the Garmin Connect app but this doesn't reset the time/date and it still does not accurately track my steps!

I have tried to contact Garmin support for... support but all I have is chat or call. Chat doesn't work (still loading half an hour later)

Anyone experience (and sort) anything similar?

Thanks

Have you tried connecting it to GPS? Should rest the time and date but I don’t know about the steps I’m afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Reg'stoy

Bought a second hand forerunner 30 recently and while battery life won't be as good as new, it does seem be poorer than I expected. I'm actually slightly concerned it might not last the 4/5 hrs of the Dublin marathon this year. So my question is, how do the batteries on garmin watches hold up? Should I switch it off between runs? Charge it after every run?
    Have been offered a refund but I don't know if I'm been unfair to the shop as any second hand watch might have similar issues.
    It was completely dead when I got it and I fully charged it, have it 5 days (arrived Fri morning), took a top up charge Sat evening (dropped to 1/2 charge after parkrun) before my 2hr run on Sunday did 53mins GPS today and it was nearly empty so took another full charge today.
    No experience with Garmins but very impressed with their connect app.
    So should I take up the offer of a refund or is it just a normal garmin battery?

Kellygirl wrote: »
    Have you tried connecting it to GPS? Should rest the time and date but I don’t know about the steps I’m afraid.
    Yeah I have been trying that by going in as if I was going for a run/cycle.
    (that's where I usually see GPS connect) hoping it will pick up the GPS that way but it doesn't seem to pick it up!

• Advertisement

Yeah I have been trying that by going in as if I was going for a run/cycle.
    (that's where I usually see GPS connect) hoping it will pick up the GPS that way but it doesn't seem to pick it up!

Ok - what about doing a full reset of the watch so? You’d have to google how possibly.

Reg'stoy wrote: »
    Bought a second hand forerunner 30 recently and while battery life won't be as good as new, it does seem be poorer than I expected. I'm actually slightly concerned it might not last the 4/5 hrs of the Dublin marathon this year. So my question is, how do the batteries on garmin watches hold up? Should I switch it off between runs? Charge it after every run?
    Have been offered a refund but I don't know if I'm been unfair to the shop as any second hand watch might have similar issues.
    It was completely dead when I got it and I fully charged it, have it 5 days (arrived Fri morning), took a top up charge Sat evening (dropped to 1/2 charge after parkrun) before my 2hr run on Sunday did 53mins GPS today and it was nearly empty so took another full charge today.
    No experience with Garmins but very impressed with their connect app.
    So should I take up the offer of a refund or is it just a normal garmin battery?

It’s probably normal for a very old watch but not for a new garmin. If you need it for doing longer distances then I’d take the refund and try find another. Most of the newer ones last at least a few days I’m sure.

Update
    Last night I did a reset of the watch to factory settings but that didn't seem to fix the time issue.
    Decided to just use it as normal on my commute and it must have piked up GPS somewhere on the route because the time is now correct.

Problem must have been it struggling to get GPS, which is unusual

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭CassieManson

Just wondering if anyone has used the Virtual Pacer on the Garmin 35? I have tried it a few times but so far just found it rather annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

Just wondering if anyone has used the Virtual Pacer on the Garmin 35? I have tried it a few times but so far just found it rather annoying.
    Yeah, it's not particularly useful imho and the beeps just get irritating.

What I use instead for pacing on the 35 is to configure the screen to show avg pace (the average pace over the entire run) and also current pace (what pace am I going at right now). Avg pace isn't on any of the default screens as far as I know so you have to configure it in garmin connect and sync with your watch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Darren 83

On my old garmin when I did a tempo run for a set time it display the pace for that set time on connect app but now the time is split in km splits which I find annoying anyway to change this?

Darren 83 wrote: »
    On my old garmin when I did a tempo run for a set time it display the pace for that set time on connect app but now the time is split in km splits which I find annoying anyway to change this?
    What watch is it? On my 735xt there are different settings to set the unit of measuring distances etc. There should also be a setting to set the "Lap" to either 1km or 1 miles

What watch is it? On my 735xt there are different settings to set the unit of measuring distances etc. There should also be a setting to set the "Lap" to either 1km or 1 miles

It’s a vivo active 3, I have it set too km but I’d have a session say 1k warm up 20mins at tempo then 1k cool down and I’d get the overall pace for the 20mins but now it splits the 20 mins into kms I’d rather have the over all pace for the 20mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Darren 83 wrote:
    It’s a vivo active 3, I have it set too km but I’d have a session say 1k warm up 20mins at tempo then 1k cool down and I’d get the overall pace for the 20mins but now it splits the 20 mins into kms I’d rather have the over all pace for the 20mins.

Turn off the lap function. It's likely you have your watch setup to lap every 1km. Turn that off and it should remove the 1km lapping.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭CassieManson

DeepBlue wrote: »
    Yeah, it's not particularly useful imho and the beeps just get irritating.

What I use instead for pacing on the 35 is to configure the screen to show avg pace (the average pace over the entire run) and also current pace (what pace am I going at right now). Avg pace isn't on any of the default screens as far as I know so you have to configure it in garmin connect and sync with your watch.

Yes, if the Virtual Pacer was based on average pace that would be much more useful.

Turn off the lap function. It's likely you have your watch setup to lap every 1km. Turn that off and it should remove the 1km lapping.

Just back from a tempo run and this worked thanks

Has anybody previously experienced their watch's GPS accuracy to be way off?
    I recently ran a 5k and it measured 4.7km, I thought it may have been off due to tree cover, or even a short course layout.
    Then last week I ran an organised 8k race and my watch measured 7.62km. I know that the course was spot on 8k as I have seen some friends' Strava reports.

The watch is a Garmin Forerunner 735XT, I have it nearly 3 years but I would still have expected longer out of a high-end Garmin watch!

From the 8k, I also compared my runs map with a friends map along the same course and you can see why mine is off, it cuts through building and simply doesn't track my run!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

It used to be the case that after a time the GPS data the watches held would get out of date and it would need to re-download the information about where each satellite actually would be in the sky at any given time, so every now and then you'd need to leave it out for a while until it redownloaded the data from the satellites.

Don't hear as much about those issues these days as most watches are connected to their phone data connections so would get up to date info through that connection instead. Do you have a stable connection between the phone/ watch at the moment, mine drops every so often or it remains connected for live HR data but stops synchronising every so often and I need to reset things.

Just a slight possibility that it is something along those lines causing the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭shane1981

Is anyone having issues syncing Strava activities onto Garmin Connect? I've been using the Strava app on my phone recently as watch was being repaired however the activities are not syncing with Connect. Normally I use connect and it syncs automatically with Strava. I assumes it would work in the other direction but this doesn't seem to be the case. Any ideas?:confused:

shane1981 wrote: »
    Is anyone having issues syncing Strava activities onto Garmin Connect? I've been using the Strava app on my phone recently as watch was being repaired however the activities are not syncing with Connect. Normally I use connect and it syncs automatically with Strava. I assumes it would work in the other direction but this doesn't seem to be the case. Any ideas?:confused:

I've only ever transferred from Strava to Garmin Connect once. Using the websites, not the apps.
    You should be able to download the activity file from Strava, I think it's the .GPX file. Then you manually add a activity on Garmin Connect and upload the file.
    Worth trying

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭RunDMC

Garmin will sync to Strava if you have them connected, but not the other way around for obvious reasons. You can export from Strava and import manually, or you can use a tool such as https://tapiriik.com/ to sync in the background. This one also does syncing for sites that don't have Connect integration.

R

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭shane1981

Thanks for the replies.

Ive used taparik before but the website says that "Unfortunately, Garmin Connect integration is currently offline. Enter your email below to receive status updates about when you can synchronize your Garmin Connect activities once again" :(

I could manually upload the exports from strava to garmin but I have a lot of them. A bulk upload feature would be ideal but no luck finding one so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭RunDMC

Thanks for the replies.

Ive used taparik before but the website says that "Unfortunately, Garmin Connect integration is currently offline. Enter your email below to receive status updates about when you can synchronize your Garmin Connect activities once again" :(

I could manually upload the exports from strava to garmin but I have a lot of them. A bulk upload feature would be ideal but no luck finding one so far.

It's back up and running now.

R

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭morceli

Has anybody previously experienced their watch's GPS accuracy to be way off?
    I recently ran a 5k and it measured 4.7km, I thought it may have been off due to tree cover, or even a short course layout.
    Then last week I ran an organised 8k race and my watch measured 7.62km. I know that the course was spot on 8k as I have seen some friends' Strava reports.

The watch is a Garmin Forerunner 735XT, I have it nearly 3 years but I would still have expected longer out of a high-end Garmin watch!

From the 8k, I also compared my runs map with a friends map along the same course and you can see why mine is off, it cuts through building and simply doesn't track my run!
    Stop cutting corners :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I've only ever done in manually from Strava to Garmin, and only in obscure cases where the data was corrupted or incomplete on Garmin for very odd reasons. What you need to watch out for though is that the activity will get duplicated on Strava once you have uploaded it to Garmin as Strava will see it as a new activity and sync it back again, even though Strava was the original source of the activity.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

My 220 is suddenly unpaired from the Garmin connect app today after syncing fine yesterday, goes into a constant loop when trying to add device now?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

My sister bought a forerunner 45s recently. When the battery dies there is no response from the watch when it's plugged in via usb to a charger. Eventually got it charging again after hooking it up via usb to the laptop.
    This is not normal, right? I would expect to see some indication that it's charging after connecting it to a charger.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

Has anybody experienced their watch's time and days activity being cleared after charging via Mac or PC? Absolute pain.

Might be just me but I have to say my experience with the Forerunner 235 would be 6/10 overall the past 2 and a bit years. From sometimes randomly just powering off and not back on and this complete crap really renders it an OK device.

I suppose when it's good it's great but the bugs are ridculously annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

DeepBlue wrote: »
    My sister bought a forerunner 45s recently. When the battery dies there is no response from the watch when it's plugged in via usb to a charger. Eventually got it charging again after hooking it up via usb to the laptop.
    This is not normal, right? I would expect to see some indication that it's charging after connecting it to a charger.

It's not normal. I had a similar issue when I first got my 235. Couldn't see anything when charging and basically took lots of attempts to power back on. I asked the question here at the time and was told it was not normal. I explained to the seller (via Amazon Germany) and was told to send it back and a refund was issued.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Jim Gazebo

Garmin Forerunner 35 GPS Running Watch with Wrist-Based Heart Rate and Workouts - Black https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01K9W5EJ0/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_gqWBDbGWY85TJ

This a decent deal? I am looking at jumping into the triathlon world and want to track stuff more accurate. But I don't want to break a bank so need something cheap that works. Thanks for your help.

Advertisement