Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why Is Marijuana Illegal?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭genericguy

1) It is not in any way, shape or form, addictive, mentally or physically.
    2) It has unlimited and legitimate medical uses.
    3) It is not a "gateway" drug.
    4) If it was legal, organised crime would fall.
    5) Government can tax it and give tourism a boost.

1 - anything at all that gives you pleasure can be addictive, so as much as i advocate decriminalisation, that's bollox.

2 - you can't say unlimited medical uses. it is useful though.

3 - gateway drug - now this is the most interesting thing. EDUCATION is the reason its a gateway drug, imo. when i was in school (entering abe simpson mode :D) the teachers told us that heroin would kill us. cocaine would kill us. ecstasy, yep that'll kill you. cannabis, jesus you'll become addicted and rape everyone and murder everyone. and then you'll die.

so when people had their first cigarette and didn't die, then went out drinking and didn't die, and met people who'd smoked cannabis and hadn't died, they said "hey, maybe i won't die from that". and they didn't. so then, people say "maybe i won't die from cocaine, and that'll be nice too".
    i think drugs education should come from people who aren't afraid to fill children's heads with anything other than propaganda. none of the teachers in my school ever told us horror stories of husband battering their wives after too many pints, but they were all too happy to prattle on about the weed 'crisis' in our area.

4 - irrefutable

5 - also irrefutable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 386 ✭✭seensensee

since no one has realy explained why "weed" isnt legal is this :

USA 1930-40's dupont and hearst publishing paper was taking off and saw the natural resource hemp as a big competitor for varied industries .. as you can make damn near anthing from it ..Food ,Fuels, cleaners, soaps, rope, paper, plastics ..etc the list is incredible so they basicly went on a campaign to eliminate it. Being that USA was one of if not the superpower of the World War era they pretty much got everyone to adopt the banishment of this plant or face sanctions trade embargoes or to smaller less developed countrys withholding foreign aid

also the racist aspect as most of the cannabis was being used by Hispanics and Negro jazz musicians

you can read alot about it here http://www.jackherer.com/chapters.html

Hiya Buckshot, I beg to differ, apologies for appearing pedantic but what you have linked to is "why weed was made illegal" in the first place, the reason "why weed is'nt legal" is something else altogether, after all many countries have reversed the illegality in recent decades.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭I_AmThe_Walrus

genericguy wrote: »
    gateway drug - now this is the most interesting thing. EDUCATION is the reason its a gateway drug, imo. when i was in school (entering abe simpson mode :D) the teachers told us that heroin would kill us. cocaine would kill us. ecstasy, yep that'll kill you. cannabis, jesus you'll become addicted and rape everyone and murder everyone. and then you'll die.

so when people had their first cigarette and didn't die, then went out drinking and didn't die, and met people who'd smoked cannabis and hadn't died, they said "hey, maybe i won't die from that". and they didn't. so then, people say "maybe i won't die from cocaine, and that'll be nice too".
    i think drugs education should come from people who aren't afraid to fill children's heads with anything other than propaganda. none of the teachers in my school ever told us horror stories of husband battering their wives after too many pints, but they were all too happy to prattle on about the weed 'crisis' in our area.

Great for you to chime in. :P

I understand that proper education is required for decriminalisation to be a success. When I was at school, we received a drug awareness class but again, the horror stories came out in there droves instead of teaching the children the facts. It's mindless propaganda and I think the Government have a responsibility to educate the people about a substance which is, in reality, easily obtained.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

I never stated that I had all the answers but it seems to me, that once a particular argument arises, a quick glace using Google can debunk some of the myths to which I am more than happy to post and move the debate along. I don't have a medical degree but I also have no knowledge of any official scientific studies indicating the harmfulness of marijuana consumption.

If you can find one yourself, this thread will be a better one for it.

Moreover, the same old arguments linking marijuana with physical and mental performance can be said, to a greater extent about several drugs already on the market at this time. So why is it illegal? No reason. Large businesses with huge political influence in the past decided it was a danger to their products and companies as it can be used for several things and not only a drug of sorts.

Why are we so quick to believe what television tells us and ridicule others for not conforming to the laws the powers that be have controlled us with since the beginning of time? Are people not capable of making an educated and, having dived into some intelligent research and analysis, come to their own, individual conclusion instead of wasting time listening to those with specific agenda's?

I don't personally agree with the legal side of drug use in Ireland, I believe I would see less chaos if possession of most drugs was legal. However, what myths are you speaking of? Neither of the two issues I mention are myths; I see them often enough. Just google mental health or addiction and cannabis.

I not being funny, but people need to do their own research, none of which is perfect. A start for Ireland minght be http://www.hrb.ie/publications/

Odysseus wrote: »
    I don't personally agree with the legal side of drug use in Ireland, I believe I would see less chaos if possession of most drugs was legal. However, what myths are you speaking of? Neither of the two issues I mention are myths; I see them often enough. Just google mental health or addiction and cannabis.

I not being funny, but people need to do their own research, none of which is perfect. A start for Ireland minght be http://www.hrb.ie/publications/

I think you misunderstood me. :P

I am talking about the myths regarding the horror stories you can find with a quick Google search, none of which, you or myself included, agree with, we can accept.

• Advertisement

Great for you to chime in. :P

I understand that proper education is required for decriminalisation to be a success. When I was at school, we received a drug awareness class but again, the horror stories came out in there droves instead of teaching the children the facts. It's mindless propaganda and I think the Government have a responsibility to educate the people about a substance which is, in reality, easily obtained.

great for me to chime in? is thatyour way of giving me grief?

it really is these 'horror stories' that cause people to experiment with drugs. if junkies had to be paraded around schools as community service, with someone who'll say "you can probably get heroin around the corner, but you'll end up looking like this shrunken faced junkie cnut, that's the price you'll be paying for your buzz. btw he's been raped in the joy and now he has HIV". while at the same time telling the kids that weed can be harmful but doesn't do much harm, although it's more potent than alcohol, so don't fcuk with it.

or something, i'm too tired for meaningful conversation.

I am talking about the myths regarding the horror stories you can find with a quick Google search, none of which, you or myself included, agree with, we can accept.

So do you agree that it can be addictive and cause mental health issues in some people? My understanding was you did not agree with that, hence, you seeing them as myths?

why do you keep using that poxy smiley? the fcuk does it even mean?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 JazzPotato

I've been browsing these forums for a couple years and never had the need to sign up. But after seeing this thread I had to say something.
    humanji wrote: »
    You can't legalise it in Ireland because there are too many stupid people in this country. The Irish do everthing to excess. Take a look at inner city areas at 2am on a Saturday night. People know what alcohol does to them and they abuse it anyway. Adding another drug they can abuse will just cause more problems. And having mass unemployment and a drug that makes you want to do f*ck all isn't a good combination. Fix the issues we have now and work from there. Once people learn to stop abusing alchohol, micotine, caffeine etc, then consider bringing other substances in.

Oh, and the whole "it'll reduce crime" argument is utter bull****. Criminals aren't going to decide to go straight because they can't sell one little drug.

After reading the ENTIRE thread, this is the ONLY comment that makes 100% sense.

Yes, there are great benefits from legalising "weed". People will love it as well I'm sure. There are also many cons to legalising "weed".
    Irish people do have the tend to go in excess, same in England as well. From living in both countries and having parents with different stories from both countries over the past 40 years, I know what they saw (Might not be all 100% correct but its a damn sight better view on the past then most people in here would have).
    Alcohol is a wonderful thing, in moderation. I'm not saying I have never gotten drunk off my head, but I can see how doing it every weekend (or every so often) is a bad habit. A terrible habit in fact. What is to say that this won't happen with "weed" also?

I'm going to get shot down by many, but "weed" does affect with the brain. Ask any nurse who works in a mental ward why most of the young male patients are in there. Also as far as dependency is concerned, that is down to a person not just a drug. I dislike using personal examples, but alas...I can go out and have a pint and be happy. I do have several friends who can only drink if they're going to go out on the lash and drink until they vomit.

And the only condemning thing to people I will say, in concurrence with the quoted post, that "weed" isn't the only drug that dealers are dealing. It will not kill off much drug dealers we have going, just the small ones who make a couple hundred a week off the smoke.

I think this is a great link for just straight up facts about it, not propaganda as a lot of "weed" lovers like to coin here...http://www.talktofrank.com/drugs.aspx?id=172

With all that, I'd love for weed to be easier to get. My "friend" does enjoy it a good bit. By my "friend" can also see why it shouldn't be made legal ;)

Odysseus wrote: »

A recent report backs up your point of view...
    http://www.independent.ie/health/health-fears-as-300000-young-people-use-cannabis-86217.html

... "dependency" "depression" "schizophrenia" ect. Statistically Irelands cannabis users number twice the EU average. So what can one deduce from the report? The Irish are keen users but it is to their detriment.

Cannabis should not be willingly accepted into Irish society for our citizens suffer from its effects?
    I just wonder how other countries, those which tolerate and provide cannabis for their citizens, I wonder how they deal with the negative consequences?
    It maybe that Ireland is different, our DNA can't handle it, our national psyche cannot handle it, We are like the American Indians with alcohol.
    This should be made clear by drug treatment organisations.

This is not canada, california, holland, spain, czech republic ect...
    We are Irish and Cannabis is especially bad for us. :(

• Advertisement

seensensee wrote: »

This should be made clear by drug treatment organisations.

TBH I'm in a treatment agency for over a decade and Ireland has IMO a very poor treatment regime. There is something wrong with they way we treat addicts, we have no recovery direction, very poor ability to respond to anything apart from opiate addiction [and we don't do that well]. That's not too say we don't help people, but we could be doing more and doing it better.

The fact is people always have used chemicals of some sort and always will, the first book I recommend to students is Living with Drugs, title says it all. We will never win a war on drugs.

Oh, and the whole "it'll reduce crime" argument is utter bull****. Criminals aren't going to decide to go straight because they can't sell one little drug.[/QUOTE]

It's more than "one little Drug". Recent reports suggest their are over 500,000 users in Ireland...
    http://www.independent.ie/health/health-fears-as-300000-young-people-use-cannabis-86217.html

CSO figures suggest that nearly 2/3 of all drug convictions are Cannabis related.

logically speaking there will be less crime if cannabis was legalised.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

A recent report backs up your point of view...

... "dependency" "depression" "schizophrenia" ect.

From that piece....
    And many of those taking cannabis are showing schizophrenic tendencies when initially assessed medically.
    Handy to drop in the ould schizophrenia when a court case for robbery, GBH is approaching perhaps.
    Ms Keaveney said the report will debunk the myth that cannabis is "both safe and harmless" as the drug contains four times as much tar as cigarettes.
    Bollox
    http://www.erowid.org/plants/cannabis/cannabis_health2.shtml
    (1) Most marijuana smokers smoke the bud, not the leaf, of
    the plant. The bud contains only 33% as much tar as tobacco.
    2) Marijuana smokers do not smoke anywhere near as much as
    tobacco smokers, due to the psychoactive effects of cannabis.
    3) Not one case of lung cancer has ever been successfully
    linked to marijuana use.
    4) Cannabis, unlike tobacco, does not cause any narrowing of
    the small air passageways in the lungs.

mikom wrote: »
    From that piece....

Handy to drop in the ould schizophrenia when a court case for robbery, GBH is approaching perhaps.

Bollox

I must have type up a few thousand court reports over the years, very few single figures in fact would have been for any theft, act of violence and a drug induced psychotic disorder. Don't think that one would be as common as you think.

Edit:

Just to clarify that, the above relates to cannabis use and an induced disorder with an act of violence as you suggest. Also do people think we just give out positive court reports to anyone. If you want a positive report you engage in treatment, if you don't the report states that.

genericguy wrote: »
    great for me to chime in? is thatyour way of giving me grief?

notsureifsrs.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭TheTosh

Doesn't make a difference to me legal or not I'm still gonna smoke it, dam wish I had some now all this talk of it has put me in the mood to roll one of those bad boys up

TheTosh wrote: »
    Doesn't make a difference to me legal or not I'm still gonna smoke it, dam wish I had some now all this talk of it has put me in the mood to roll one of those bad boys up

Well, then...wouldn't it be in your best interests to make it legal? The price would drop significantly with a higher quality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 JazzPotato

His best interests, not Ireland's.

Now, thinking of the Amsterdam's coffeeshops I am reminded of a notice that was to be seen which stated some truths on cannabis usage, one of them was "don't expect cannabis to solve your problems" another statement was about what to do if your feeling too stoned, I was struck by coffeeshops care and attention and realised that the dutch make a fine point in safely regulating their business...
    http://onlinecoffeeshop247.com/coffeeshops-do-dont-online-guide.html

They probably have a good sense of logic when it comes to dealing with habit.
    Overall I get the impression that it is in their interest to responsibly ensure that the use of cannabis is regulated to everyone's liking (as close as is possible).
    Their society tolerates cannabis so long as the users follow the rules, somehow the dutch are able to deal with the "negative consequences". Knowing how this is done could be key to turning the tide here.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Snake Pliisken

humanji wrote: »
    You can't legalise it in Ireland because there are too many stupid people in this country. The Irish do everthing to excess. Take a look at inner city areas at 2am on a Saturday night. People know what alcohol does to them and they abuse it anyway. Adding another drug they can abuse will just cause more problems. And having mass unemployment and a drug that makes you want to do f*ck all isn't a good combination. Fix the issues we have now and work from there. Once people learn to stop abusing alchohol, micotine, caffeine etc, then consider bringing other substances in.

Oh, and the whole "it'll reduce crime" argument is utter bull****. Criminals aren't going to decide to go straight because they can't sell one little drug.

There aren't too many people in this country, we have a small overall population and an urban sprawl because people refuse to build up, and yes we have an unhealthy drinking culture that needs to be made right but that doesn't mean that people should be prosecuted for something they're already going to be doing.
    Life will go on like it's always gone on if cannabis is legalized, there won't be an increase in laziness- the people who are lazy fúckers will continue being lazy and the winners will keep on winning. As you said- if people where educated there wouldn't as big a problem with any presently legal drugs and that goes for marijuana too.

Just like any industry if you take away profits from, they have less money to work with and less people to sell to- simple.
    JazzPotato wrote: »
    I've been browsing these forums for a couple years and never had the need to sign up. But after seeing this thread I had to say something.

After reading the ENTIRE thread, this is the ONLY comment that makes 100% sense.

Yes, there are great benefits from legalising "weed". People will love it as well I'm sure. There are also many cons to legalising "weed".
    Irish people do have the tend to go in excess, same in England as well. From living in both countries and having parents with different stories from both countries over the past 40 years, I know what they saw (Might not be all 100% correct but its a damn sight better view on the past then most people in here would have).
    Alcohol is a wonderful thing, in moderation. I'm not saying I have never gotten drunk off my head, but I can see how doing it every weekend (or every so often) is a bad habit. A terrible habit in fact. What is to say that this won't happen with "weed" also?

I'm going to get shot down by many, but "weed" does affect with the brain. Ask any nurse who works in a mental ward why most of the young male patients are in there. Also as far as dependency is concerned, that is down to a person not just a drug. I dislike using personal examples, but alas...I can go out and have a pint and be happy. I do have several friends who can only drink if they're going to go out on the lash and drink until they vomit.

And the only condemning thing to people I will say, in concurrence with the quoted post, that "weed" isn't the only drug that dealers are dealing. It will not kill off much drug dealers we have going, just the small ones who make a couple hundred a week off the smoke.

I think this is a great link for just straight up facts about it, not propaganda as a lot of "weed" lovers like to coin here...http://www.talktofrank.com/drugs.aspx?id=172

With all that, I'd love for weed to be easier to get. My "friend" does enjoy it a good bit. By my "friend" can also see why it shouldn't be made legal ;)

If people smoked weed every week they'd probably experience something on par with someone smoking 5 times as much, e.g.. if they have five joints on saturday it'd be the same as a a pack and a change in smokes a week, aswell as weight gain and a worsened short term memory span.

The link between cannabis and schizophrenia is tenuous and sensationally reported quite alot, The UKs Advisory Council on the Misuse of Drugs are quoted in dissent to the drug policy in the UK, saying "The evidence suggests, at worst, that using cannabis increases the lifetime risk of developing schizophrenia by less than 1 per cent."*

And as for addiction, again education is the key- anyone with an addictive personality shouldn't reasonably do any drugs and anyone who is ignorant enough to abuse a drug enough to become mentally or physically dependent is a gobshín.

Again, legalisation would take cannabis out of the hands of drugs dealers- leaving them with less money and a smaller userbase, leading to less crime.

Talk to Frank is an english government funded propaganda site made to assist in prohibition- http://www.erowid.org/ is much more impartial and truthful in its delivery.

*http://www.independent.co.uk/opinion/commentators/comment-exaggerated-claims-are-no-basis-for-policy-804525.html

• Advertisement

Their society tolerates cannabis so long as the users follow the rules, somehow the dutch are able to deal with the "negative consequences". Knowing how this is done could be key to turning the tide here.

Quite right and something I've always admired.:cool:

And as for addiction, again education is the key- anyone with an addictive personality shouldn't reasonably do any drugs and anyone who is ignorant enough to abuse a drug enough to become mentally or physically dependent is a gobshín.

l

^^
    What an interesting statement, surely people who have an addictive personality and have formed a dependency on cannabis must learn how to control their dependency? Education is the key and is it not possible for an individual to overcome abuse and somehow regulate the habit.

BTW I interpret the word "gobshin" to mean someone who does'nt know any better, is that correct?

If legislation came about leading up to the decriminalisation of marijuana, several steps would need to be put in place to deal with the situation. For example, and as someone mentioned earlier, education at a young age would be a necessity as well as the appropriate information for the skeptics made available and ready in answering their inquiries.

It's not something that could happen overnight, but with a lot of dedication and reliance, Ireland could pave the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

Marijuana has been legal in the Netherlands since the 30's

sure it was legal here in the 10s :p

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Snake Pliisken

^^
    What an interesting statement, surely people who have an addictive personality and have formed a dependency on cannabis must learn how to control their dependency? Education is the key and is it not possible for an individual to overcome abuse and somehow regulate the habit.

BTW I interpret the word "gobshin" to mean someone who does'nt know any better, is that correct?

Cannabis isn't physically addicting so yes, unlike alcohol or opiates someone could come back to the drug and use without forming dependence again.

Gobshin to me has always meant idiot, not ignorant so when I called people who didn't heed caution gobshin I wasn't referring to their ignorance I was referring to their recklessness.

Quite right and something I've always admired.:cool:

Admiration is due to the spanish too, I was reading about their system the other night, here have a browse if you like...
    http://www.tokeofthetown.com/2010/07/heres_what_pot_freedom_feels_like_report_from_spai.php

Apparently the Spanish enjoy security from persecution by having solid privacy laws which gives them freedom to do what they want in their own homes, oh and they are legally entitled to cultivate at home (by the rules).

Bliss for them, eh? The whole society is free from Cannabis Paranoia, it certainly helps the growers not to be so paranoid, and so eases depression :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Dude, i smoked weed for like 5 years

It started making me parnoid as ****

At first its cool tho,, maybe thats why :)

Cannabis isn't physically addicting so yes, unlike alcohol or opiates someone could come back to the drug and use without forming dependence again.

Gobshin to me has always meant idiot, not ignorant so when I called people who didn't heed caution gobshin I wasn't referring to their ignorance I was referring to their recklessness.

Recklessness, yes I can understand that. A startling revelation with constant heavy cannabis usage is that an individual can develop such a high tolerance to the drug that it ceases to have little or no effect :eek:. The reckless individual will continue to consume the herb in even larger quantities in the hope of getting the original effects but alas, all in vain. Education would say that a gobshin must learn discipline and appreciate a new understanding of what the herb is all about.
    I noticed over in Amsterdam that older folk tend to purchase ready rolled single spliffs, almost as if it was their daily ration. For some people rather than quit the cannabis it appears that they can regulate the habit.
    one can have the cake and eat it too ;)

nuxxx wrote: »
    Dude, i smoked weed for like 5 years

It started making me parnoid as ****

At first its cool tho,, maybe thats why :)

Well that's another aspect, Cannabis does'nt suit everybody, who knows tomorrow I may start to suffer cannabis induced paranoia and as such I may be well advised to give it up.

How did you become paranoid, was it like getting totally stoned and going into a busy supermarket for munchies only to end up stuck at a busy checkouts:eek:? I ask because I'm not familiar with cannabis paranoia, how did it manifest?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

Researchers at Cardiff University (Stanley Zammit and colleagues) found a connection between frequent pot smoking and psychosis, schizophrenia, hearing voices and hallucinations. People who haven't smoked pot are less likely to display the same psychotic illnesses.

The researchers were clear that it's not that marijuana causes psychosis. Rather, marijuana triggers mental illness if the individual already has a predisposition to that illness. So if your family has a history of schizophrenia or other psychotic illnesses, smoking pot now could predispose you to struggle with mental illness later in life.

The British researchers concluded that "there is now sufficient evidence to warn young people that cannabis use will increase their risk of psychosis."

The effect of marijuana on psychotic illnesses may vary from individual to individual. Hallucinations, hearing voices, psychotic delusions and schizophrenia could be triggered by many things – and pot smoking may be one of them. It also depends on how much pot you smoke. The British study found that frequent pot smokers (daily or weekly marijuana users) were 50 to 200% more likely to experience psychosis. Your age and genetics also affects whether marijuana will trigger a psychotic illness.

This is somthing for personal reasons I have done quite a bit of research on I have read a lot on the subject and I do believe it is trigger for mental illness.

Advertisement