Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why Is Marijuana Illegal?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Biggins wrote: »
    True but God/Allah/Mother Earth/Xenu bless the search function. :D

thou shalt have no false gods before me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

why can't people just be happy with getting pissed off their heads every weekend?
    That's way too legal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭I_AmThe_Walrus

steve06 wrote: »
    Why is it in a separate category?

Firstly, I'm not here to convince you of why it should be legal like all the other threads.

I asked for information as to why it is illegal? I'm at a loss for words when I look at the facts...and I was intrigued if anyone else found it mind boggling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

why can't people just be happy with getting pissed off their heads every weekend?

Some people don't like getting pissed off their heads.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Biggins wrote: »
    True but God/Allah/Mother Earth/Xenu bless the search function.
    DrumSteve wrote: »
    thou shalt have no false gods before me!
    You forgot to bold the rest! :p

(Except the mammy one. You can't pick on mothers!) :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Fallen Buckshot

And have you seen the state of the people that go there? Temple Bar is bad enough as it is without bringing hash café's into it.

Yes but you are comparing oranges to apples ...if there were hash bars instead of pubs you would not see or see less Fights/Pissing in public/puke on the sidewalk etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭thebigbiffo

D.R cowboy wrote: »
    I will if you take back your thread, drugs destroy peoples lives every day and make it hell for people likes us, who have to live with those people in our society.

If everyone was high, nothing would get done.
    ddef wrote: »
    I have friends who are like zombies after months of taking it everyday. a couple even came in high to some of their leaving cert exams. It is most definately addictive mentally. and also about the "gateway" part of it; i wouldnt agree with some people saying it will lead to meth, heroin, crack etc. but my friends have done salvia and mdma and acid. Im very doubtful they would have done that without first experiencing weed.
    Its bad enough seeing my friends like this, we dont need an entire zombified city.

both these points are ridiculous when taken in the context of what we're talking about here. does the whole country go around drunk every day? is caffeine a gateway drug? it has a stimulatant effect but you wont consider outlawing it on the basis that you move straight to speed or coke when you're not gettting the same buzz off your java in the morning.

drugs (especially MJ) dont destroy peoples lives, the decision they've made destroys their lives. you want to take heroin? welcome to hell sir and there's nobody out there who doesn't know it, you made the choice. salvia and mdma are both harmless aswell. so lets distinguish between meth, crack, heroin and the like and drugs which are - although you'd never want to believe it - in medical terms safe

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭Wudyaquit

It was made illegal in Ireland before it was in any way widespread, so doubt a huge amount of thought went into it - "all drugs is bad" most likely.
    It's still illegal because there seems to be a stronger anti-drugs lobby in Ireland than pro-drugs. There'd be gangs of auld ones hitting the streets with banners, just like with the head shop nonsense. A major party proposing to legalise it would be impacted negatively on the whole, without doubt, and we don't have too many politicians who'd back it out of the courage of their own convictions.

It's not exactly difficult to find, and you usually get a couple of strikes if you're caught, so the only difference if it were legal would be we'd attract a whole new breed of freak like you meet doing laps of the red light district in Amsterdam.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭revz

Yes but you are comparing oranges to apples ...if there were hash bars instead of pubs you would not see or see less Fights/Pissing in public/puke on the sidewalk etc

Are you really saying you wouldn't expect to see less people fighting/pissing on streets if they were smoking weed instead of drinking alcohol?
    It's not apples and oranges at all
    Alcohol is a diuretic and makes you need to piss, weed doesn't do this, as well as alcohol altering your self-control a lot more (anyone ever blacked-out on weed?)
    If you think people would get just as aggressive smoking weed as they would after 6-10 pints........Basically, they don't :p

EDIT: i may have read your comment wrong, I took it as you said "you would not see less fights/pissing" Although you may have been agreeing with my point, the "not see or see" thing is confusing me. Sorry if I took it wrong :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

Wudyaquit wrote: »
    It's not exactly difficult to find, and you usually get a couple of strikes if you're caught, so the only difference if it were legal would be we'd attract a whole new breed of freak like you meet doing laps of the red light district in Amsterdam.

Last time i was there, it was American tourists and their kids.

We definatly dont want more of them

• Advertisement

Entity Prevalence

United Kingdom 10.8
    Canada 16.8
    Australia 13.3
    Czech Rep. 10.0
    Micronesia 19.0
    France 9.8
    Germany 6.9
    Italy 7.1
    Ireland 5.1
    Jamaica 10.0
    N. Zealand 13.0
    Switzerland 9.6
    U.S.A 12.6
    Spain 11.0
    Netherlands 6.0

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Annual_cannabis_use_by_country

• Registered Users Posts: 4,467 ✭✭✭Wazdakka

Entity Prevalence

United Kingdom 10.8
    Canada 16.8
    Australia 13.3
    Czech Rep. 10.0
    Micronesia 19.0
    France 9.8
    Germany 6.9
    Italy 7.1
    Ireland 5.1
    Jamaica 10.0
    N. Zealand 13.0
    Switzerland 9.6
    U.S.A 12.6
    Spain 11.0
    Netherlands 6.0

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Annual_cannabis_use_by_country

That can't be right.
    They're saying that 5.1% of Irish people between the ages of 15 and 64 used cannabis in the the last year?
    1 in every 20 people??

That's wayyyyyy too low.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭reprazant

1) It is not in any way, shape or form, addictive, mentally or physically.
    3) It is not a "gateway" drug.

Massively incorrect on both counts, especially the first one.

Some of my friends are prime examples of how this is incorrect. After nearly 2 decades of continious smoking, they spend their lives in a unenthusiastic, lethargic haze which they seem incapable of escaping.

ANNUAL DEATHS CAUSED BY DRUGS.

TOBACCO …………………… 400,000
    ALCOHOL …………………… 100,000
    ALL LEGAL DRUGS ……… 20,000
    ALL ILLEGAL DRUGS ……15,000
    CAFFEINE ……………………. 2,000
    ASPIRIN ……………………… 500
    MARIJUANA …………………. 0
    —————————————-

This is pointless use of stats.

Please show the amount of people who use all the above listed items.

How many people smoke, drink or take prescription drugs regularly compared with the rest? The people who smoke dope is minuscule compared to the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

I don't agree with it. It screws up your brain, especially of younger people. I get people are going to say so does alcohol, but two wrongs don't make a right.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭thebigbiffo

reprazant wrote: »
    Massively incorrect on both counts, especially the first one.

Some of my friends are prime examples of how this is incorrect. After nearly 2 decades of continious smoking, they spend their lives in a unenthusiastic, lethargic haze which they seem incapable of escaping.

This is pointless use of stats.

Please show the amount of people who use all the above listed items.

How many people smoke, drink or take prescription drugs regularly compared with the rest? The people who smoke dope is minuscule compared to the rest.

you - sir - are massively incorrect on both counts. i will say no more except to ask you to please back up where a: you have proof that MJ is addictive b: that it has caused even one solitary death (prevalence of use is not relevant here as the stats are used to show that even what people consider mild drugs are dangerous whereas MJ has never killed anybody)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

Marijuana has been legal in the Netherlands since the 30's

No it hasnt

Marijuana is not even legal in the Netherlands today

Can we stop spreading these misconceptions
    I don't agree with it. It screws up your brain,

Reading the Mail/Express/Metro/Herald/Sun/Sindo screws up ones brain too but we allow that

• Registered Users Posts: 19,164 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

4) If it was legal, organised crime would fall.

Do you honestly believe this? You honestly think that career criminals will just go get a job in McDonalds rather than find another way to make a shed load of money illegally?

Does Nederlands have organised crime? Of course!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭Flash86

I'm against it for one simple reason.

I work in a shop and if you had ever seen a very stoned person taking bloody ages to count out the change he needs to pay for his crisps and Jaffa Cakes you'd be against it too.

I just don't need the hassle.

Mike 1972 wrote: »
    No it hasnt

Marijuana is not even legal in the Netherlands today

Can we stop spreading these misconceptions

I am fully aware it is not and I apologise for that...what I meant to say was, that it was available in the Netherlands to a more liberal degree than elsewhere. :)
    MrStuffins wrote: »

Does Nederlands have organised crime? Of course!

Of course the Netherlands has organised crime, but you'll find that the conservatives are backed by organised crime in a push to crack down on drug related tourism, use etc., which is occurring right now, in fact.

I am fully aware that criminals will find another way to make money but it won't involve hijacking the prices of said narcotics. To this end, our prisons won't be filled with tedious crimes such as possession of marijuana.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭thirtythirty

Flash86 wrote: »
    I'm against it for one simple reason.

I work in a shop and if you had ever seen a very stoned person taking bloody ages to count out the change he needs to pay for his crisps and Jaffa Cakes you'd be against it too.

I just don't need the hassle.

Well I'm sorry, but it's difficult counting out change when you're trying to work out if you need to get some sherbert dip for your jaffa crisp sandwich, or whether the fried ice cream will be enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭The Waltzing Consumer

1) It is not in any way, shape or form, addictive, mentally or physically.
    2) It has unlimited and legitimate medical uses.
    3) It is not a "gateway" drug.
    4) If it was legal, organised crime would fall.
    5) Government can tax it and give tourism a boost.

The problem with this list, is that every single point is an OPINION, not a fact, but phrased it a way that makes it look like a fact. It won't help any debate when you rely on an opinion to give credibility to your argument. Each point you have given can be ripped apart pretty easily.

Here are some facts, given without personal opinion
    http://www.who.int/substance_abuse/facts/cannabis/en/index.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

easyeason3 wrote: »
    You will find that most people who are afraid of marijuana are usually the ones that have never tried it or done any research into it.

people in ireland thrive on fear and hysteria, so marijuana is an evil mind bending drug as far as these fools who get their information from the local priest or politician, and we know who the real criminals are......

happy smoking.............:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

drinking in ireland is boring, well i live in cork so, watered down drink , standing room only, closing time, sorry not tonight,, fcuk that, i rather have a few smokes..

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

And have you seen the state of the people that go there? Temple Bar is bad enough as it is without bringing hash café's into it.
    But weed would only make it better. Anything that makes people act less drunk and offers an alternative to getting abusively drunk is better.
    Because drink has horrible side effects and contributes to many many deaths in many many ways.

The bottom line is weed is not dangerous enough to the user or society to justify turning it's users into criminals and donating huge profits to criminal organisations. The war on drugs is by all accounts worse for everyone than the drugs themselves. It's as simple as that.

The problem with this list, is that every single point is an OPINION, not a fact, but phrased it a way that makes it look like a fact. It won't help any debate when you rely on an opinion to give credibility to your argument. Each point you have given can be ripped apart pretty easily.

Here are some facts, given without personal opinion
    http://www.who.int/substance_abuse/facts/cannabis/en/index.html

Thank you for your contribution and I've read the page, but you have to ask yourself, would WHO be lobbying for the legalisation of marijuana when the conservatives have a War On Drugs project?

Furthermore, all these "facts" can be brought up in the argument against current legal drugs. For example, alcohol impairs work performance for the best part of 24 hours too, yet, I can go around the corner and buy a bottle of Tequila without anyone batting an eye-lid. Tobacco impairs cardio-vascular and your respiratory performance, yet, these are available in your nearest convenience store.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭The Waltzing Consumer

Thank you for your contribution and I've read the page, but you have to ask yourself, would WHO be lobbying for the legalisation of marijuana when the conservatives have a War On Drugs project?

Furthermore, all these "facts" can be brought up in the argument against current legal drugs. For example, alcohol impairs work performance for the best part of 24 hours too, yet, I can go around the corner and buy a bottle of Tequila without anyone batting an eye-lid. Tobacco impairs cardio-vascular and your respiratory performance, yet, these are available in your nearest convenience store.

Conservatives?? What conservatives?

I see what you are saying, problem is, alocohol and cigarettes are socially acceptable, well smoking is not as much anymore, but you know what I mean. Marijuana is not socially acceptable and no number of positives will change the legality of it whilst the majority of people don't care or don't want it.

I see what you are saying, problem is, alocohol and cigarettes are socially acceptable, well smoking is not as much anymore, but you know what I mean. Marijuana is not socially acceptable and no number of positives will change the legality of it whilst the majority of people don't care or don't want it.

I understand but we, as a species, are programmed to accept whatever is asked of us. Meaning, if marijuana become a legitimate recreational substance much like alcohol and tobacco, the next generations stance would dull the mind and novelty, hiding the sense of wonder we have for it. It would become "ordinary" and socially acceptable much like it is in other cultures around the globe.

During Prohibition in the United States, drinking alcohol wasn't "socially acceptable" either but looking back, are we quick to laugh off that caveman legislation? Of course, we are.

We know the benefits of it and the negatives are less or, for arguments sake, no less harmful than those other drugs on the market.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

It's like when religious people are brought up on all the lies that go into brainwashing a person into believing in the magical figures of the religions, it's very hard to get them to listen to logical scientific based assessments. People have the same unfounded fear of drugs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

This issue must be openly debated using only the facts. Groundless claims, meaningless statistics, and exaggerated scare stories that have been peddled by politicians and prohibitionists. ANNUAL DEATHS CAUSED BY DRUGS.

TOBACCO …………………… 400,000
    ALCOHOL …………………… 100,000
    ALL LEGAL DRUGS ……… 20,000
    ALL ILLEGAL DRUGS ……15,000
    CAFFEINE ……………………. 2,000
    ASPIRIN ……………………… 500
    MARIJUANA …………………. 0
    —————————————-

You have no link, no proof, no indication of percentages of totals. Just a couple of made up figures. How about i make up some of my own??

5,000 people die every second from watching too much television.

8,000 irish people die from listening to derek mooney every day.

10,000,000 people die every year from taking mdma.

90% of people going on about legalising drugs and using made up statistics on AH are using duplicate accounts.

99.5% of people on boards believe that people shouldn't make up statistics and express opinions as facts.

I'm not saying thet are true, but you have no links for your ridiculous claims . ..

• Advertisement

ScumLord wrote: »
    It's like when religious people are brought up on all the lies that go into brainwashing a person into believing in the magical figures of the religions, it's very hard to get them to listen to logical scientific based assessments. People have the same unfounded fear of drugs.

Religion and money are the two most controlling factors of our species. They are a very useful tool to the powers that be. A thinking mind, as far as our "eye in the skies" go, is a dangerous one.
    You have no link, no proof, no indication of percentages of totals. Just a couple of made up figures. How about i make up some of my own??

5,000 people die every second from watching too much television.

8,000 irish people die from listening to derek mooney every day.

10,000,000 people die every year from taking mdma.

90% of people going on about legalising drugs and using made up statistics on AH are using duplicate accounts.

99.5% of people on boards believe that people shouldn't make up statistics and express opinions as facts.

I'm not saying thet are true, but you have no links for your ridiculous claims . ..

Now, you're just being silly.

Google is your friend if you want to know the truth. Not one recorded fatality has resulted in the consumption of marijuana.

Advertisement