Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why Is Marijuana Illegal?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

You can't legalise it in Ireland because there are too many stupid people in this country. The Irish do everthing to excess. Take a look at inner city areas at 2am on a Saturday night. People know what alcohol does to them and they abuse it anyway. Adding another drug they can abuse will just cause more problems. And having mass unemployment and a drug that makes you want to do f*ck all isn't a good combination. Fix the issues we have now and work from there. Once people learn to stop abusing alchohol, micotine, caffeine etc, then consider bringing other substances in.

Oh, and the whole "it'll reduce crime" argument is utter bull****. Criminals aren't going to decide to go straight because they can't sell one little drug.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭I_AmThe_Walrus

humanji wrote: »
    You can't legalise it in Ireland because there are too many stupid people in this country. The Irish do everthing to excess. Take a look at inner city areas at 2am on a Saturday night. People know what alcohol does to them and they abuse it anyway. Adding another drug they can abuse will just cause more problems. And having mass unemployment and a drug that makes you want to do f*ck all isn't a good combination. Fix the issues we have now and work from there. Once people learn to stop abusing alchohol, micotine, caffeine etc, then consider bringing other substances in.

Oh, and the whole "it'll reduce crime" argument is utter bull****. Criminals aren't going to decide to go straight because they can't sell one little drug.

Why isn't there a "closing hour" where people leave gradually instead of last orders being 5 minutes before the doors close? As a result, we have hundreds of people chucked out all at the same time and it causes mayhem.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Y
    No they won't just decide to go straight but they may be forced to, legalising cannabis would make a huge dent in their finances, if they can't afford to pay their underlings their underlings won't work for them. That's just plain straightforward economics. There is no other crime that pays off like drug dealing so they simply won't be able to afford to go on as they're doing now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭HoPpiE

You pretty much contradicted yourself there. Nobody said it would eliminate crime, just reduce it, as cannabis would not be sold illegally, in theory.

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭MakaDonVeli

Imo it should be legal but should also have laws on it.

Like you can be tested if the Garda think your over the limit on it while driving.
    You can't smoke it in a public place unless it has a licence.
    You can't have over a certain amount on you.

All i can think off.

Would defo cut out alot of crime and put alot of the drug dealers out of business. Also Weed has never killed anyone so....

• Advertisement

To the people announcing that it would cause more harm than good with regards to people getting sick and not behaving in our streets, have made public their education and experience, or lack of them, regarding this topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Nodster

God created Marijuana.....could God be wrong?

:D

Nodster wrote: »

I think it's only the Pope that can't be wrong. God just doesn't care if he's wrong.

Nodster wrote: »

A more interesting question would be, seen as we've evolved and our bodies protect us as much as possible to everyday toxins, would the caveman have been more stoned than we would be today?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

ScumLord wrote: »
    No they won't just decide to go straight but they may be forced to, legalising cannabis would make a huge dent in their finances, if they can't afford to pay their underlings their underlings won't work for them. That's just plain straightforward economics. There is no other crime that pays off like drug dealing so they simply won't be able to afford to go on as they're doing now.
    It'll put a dent in their finances until they make up the shortfall through other means. Do you honestly believe there are any organised crime groups that work solely with marijuana?

• Advertisement

A more interesting question would be, seen as we've evolved and our bodies protect us as much as possible to everyday toxins, would the caveman have been more stoned than we would be today?
    I was watching one of the cannabis documentaries that said the cannabinoid receptors have been with us since we where fish.

It'll put a dent in their finances until they make up the shortfall through other means. Do you honestly believe there are any organised crime groups that work solely with marijuana?
    No but it would be like telling Sony they can't sell TVs or whatever else their biggest selling item is.

The thing about organised crime these days is they operate like any other business in a lot of ways. If they can't fund their business as it is they have to cut back. They won't go quietly but they just won't have the resources to fund their terror as they do with cannabis. It's a financial blow that's proven to work in the business world.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Fallen Buckshot

since no one has realy explained why "weed" isnt legal is this :

USA 1930-40's dupont and hearst publishing paper was taking off and saw the natural resource hemp as a big competitor for varied industries .. as you can make damn near anthing from it ..Food ,Fuels, cleaners, soaps, rope, paper, plastics ..etc the list is incredible so they basicly went on a campaign to eliminate it. Being that USA was one of if not the superpower of the World War era they pretty much got everyone to adopt the banishment of this plant or face sanctions trade embargoes or to smaller less developed countrys withholding foreign aid

also the racist aspect as most of the cannabis was being used by Hispanics and Negro jazz musicians

you can read alot about it here http://www.jackherer.com/chapters.html

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭lol5605

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Because fookers like me, 41% taxpayers, have to pick up the tab to rehabilitate the stupid users who never worked a day in their lives, maaan, who need to be brought back to some semblance of normality, but who never,Ii say again ,never will contribute any focking thing to society, or the country they live in.

That's why it's illegal.

since no one has realy explained why "weed" isnt legal is this :

USA 1930-40's dupont and hearst publishing paper was taking off and saw the natural resource hemp as a big competitor for varied industries .. as you can make damn near anthing from it ..Food ,Fuels, cleaners, soaps, rope, paper, plastics ..etc the list is incredible so they basicly went on a campaign to eliminate it. Being that USA was one of if not the superpower of the World War era they pretty much got everyone to adopt the banishment of this plant or face sanctions trade embargoes or to smaller less developed countrys withholding foreign aid

also the racist aspect as most of the cannabis was being used by Hispanics and Negro jazz musicians

you can read alot about it here http://www.jackherer.com/chapters.html

Thank you, I can't believe it has taken five pages for someone to read the first post...lulz.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

Because fookers like me, 41% taxpayers, have to pick up the tab to rehabilitate the stupid users who never worked a day in their lives, maaan, who need to be brought back to some semblance of normality, but who never,Ii say again ,never will contribute any focking thing to society, or the country they live in.

That's why it's illegal.

What a pile of steaming horseshyte

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

That's why it's illegal.

Must troll harder.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

D.R cowboy wrote: »
    I will if you take back your thread, drugs destroy peoples lives every day and make it hell for people likes us, who have to live with those people in our society.

If everyone was high, nothing would get done.
    But nobody would care...
    This issue must be openly debated using only the facts. Groundless claims, meaningless statistics, and exaggerated scare stories that have been peddled by politicians and prohibitionists. ANNUAL DEATHS CAUSED BY DRUGS.

TOBACCO …………………… 400,000
    ALCOHOL …………………… 100,000
    ALL LEGAL DRUGS ……… 20,000
    ALL ILLEGAL DRUGS ……15,000
    CAFFEINE ……………………. 2,000
    ASPIRIN ……………………… 500
    MARIJUANA …………………. 0
    —————————————-
    Even if these rounded figures are more or less accurate, they're too simple. It matters how many people actually use these drugs in the first place.
    Also, is it not possible that some of the people who die from tobacco use do so as a result of smoking joints mixed with tobacco?

Also, I assume that should be 'ALL OTHER LEGAL DRUGS .....20,000', Because obviously the figures for tobacco, alcohol, caffeine and aspirin there reach 502,500..?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

I've had chronic muscle tension for years and it has saved my life. After years of doctors physios etc. im only seeing an improvement since i started shmokin' regularly.

I've had chronic muscle tension for years and it has saved my life. After years of doctors physios etc. im only seeing an improvement since i started shmokin' regularly.

^^The force is strong in this one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

strobe wrote: »
    Must troll harder.

And your point sir, is what?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

That's why it's illegal.

Not so correct. Maybe some of your taxes and of course mine, pay my wage [I work in a treatment setting], however, private treatment exists and is doing well in Ireland. Rough guess I think it's about 12k for 5 weeks in the Rutland.

I do not agree with the OP, it can be addictive and it can cause mental health issues in some users, however, I don't agree with prohibition either as it's currently working so well.

Whilst I do treat people for cannabis only I roughly see about 10 a year, that does not mean it's not an issue with other clients. What I don't get is how people can be so selective with either their experience or whatever research they use. Those who are against are usually totally against and the drug is hellish; whilst those who are for rarely admit the mental health or addiction issues. It's never totally black or white.

Edit: OP why ask the question when you seem to have all the answers?

Odysseus wrote: »
    Not so correct. Maybe some of your taxes and of course mine, pay my wage [I work in a treatment setting], however, private treatment exists and is doing well in Ireland. Rough guess I think it's about 12k for 5 weeks in the Rutland.

I do not agree with the OP, it can be addictive and it can cause mental health issues in some users, however, I don't agree with prohibition either as it's currently working so well.

Whilst I do treat people for cannabis only I roughly see about 10 a year, that does not mean it's not an issue with other clients. What I don't get is how people can be so selective with either their experience or whatever research they use. Those who are against are usually totally against and the drug is hellish; whilst those who are for rarely admit the mental health or addiction issues. It's never totally black or white.

Edit: OP why ask the question when you seem to have all the answers?

People look for help with marijuana?? :eek::eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Horse_box

That's why it's illegal.

You do understand that by putting the drug trade back into the hands of non-tax paying dealers it costs YOU the taxpayer more money right?

Heres a little list of what you are currently paying your taxes towards because of prohibition:

- Large amount of garda drug units
    - Petty drug crime administration staff
    - Judges salarys
    - The people in jail due to drug related offences
    - Hospital bills

A chunk of your tax is going directly towards these government costs.

If drugs were regulated, made legal and sold with high taxes, the government would not have to pay anything towards the problems listed above as the users pay for themselves by the tax generated

By legalising and regulating certain drugs, it means YOUR tax is going to,what you consider worthwhile services (and bailouts!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 386 ✭✭seensensee

The reason that it still remains Illegal here in Ireland is because the majority of users are satisfied to operate below the radar, they are content to make do with what they have at present. There was a "free the weed" campaign which included an annual march to the dail but that has dwindled to mere insignificance. In short there is not enough support from the general public to make any real impact in changing the legislation, mean while the anti legalisation groups have proliferated and morphed into a highly formidable opposition.
    Not surprising that the legalisers failed to change the laws. I observe a desperate lack of solidarity, unaccountability and paranoia through out the movement. Oh and it appears that many folk are willing to schmoak the RC's so sufficient efforts to legalise cannabis don't exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

People look for help with marijuana?? :eek::eek::eek::eek:

Surely if your so sure of your research on the topic you would be aware of this? Yes, it may not have the physical aspects of opiods, but I have seen it take people down to a similar degree. However, it would be wrong to say that applies to everyone.

Just to be clear on this, I have no prohibitionist agenda. I do get fed up with these threads though, and I would ban them:cool: Why can people not see it can cause significant issues for some people and not for others?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

And your point sir, is what?

?tahw si ,ris tniop ruoy dnA

• Advertisement

Odysseus wrote: »
    Surely if your so sure of your research on the topic you would be aware of this? Yes, it may not have the physical aspects of opiods, but I have seen it take people down to a similar degree. However, it would be wrong to say that applies to everyone.

Just to be clear on this, I have no prohibitionist agenda. I do get fed up with these threads though, and I would ban them:cool: Why can people not see it can cause significant issues for some people and not for others?

I never stated that I had all the answers but it seems to me, that once a particular argument arises, a quick glace using Google can debunk some of the myths to which I am more than happy to post and move the debate along. I don't have a medical degree but I also have no knowledge of any official scientific studies indicating the harmfulness of marijuana consumption.

If you can find one yourself, this thread will be a better one for it.

Moreover, the same old arguments linking marijuana with physical and mental performance can be said, to a greater extent about several drugs already on the market at this time. So why is it illegal? No reason. Large businesses with huge political influence in the past decided it was a danger to their products and companies as it can be used for several things and not only a drug of sorts.

Why are we so quick to believe what television tells us and ridicule others for not conforming to the laws the powers that be have controlled us with since the beginning of time? Are people not capable of making an educated and, having dived into some intelligent research and analysis, come to their own, individual conclusion instead of wasting time listening to those with specific agenda's?

Advertisement