Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M11 - Arklow to Rathnew

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Is that sand or cbm (i.e drymix concrete)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

It looked like sand but I wouldn't have a clue really so stand to be corrected.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Geogregor

It looked like sand but I wouldn't have a clue really so stand to be corrected.

It's almost certainly drymix concrete. Tarmac laying machines are often used for laying it down.
    It doesn't look like sand and sand layers are constructed different way.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Falcon L

Loads of tarmac laying this morning at the southern tie-in.

Patww79 wrote: »
    4 way stop/go at the Beehive tonight. Complete mess.

I presume that is to complete the roundabout and make it functional.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Falcon L

The stop-go seemed to be to make room for the workers burning off old road markings. That's what they were doing when I passed this evening anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭BigMoose

Cant imagine they'd bother completing that roundabout until the mainline traffic is moved away from that stretch of road. Would be madness to do it before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Buckmark1

I would say it will be a temporary roundabout just the markings will be in place . Should be interesting drive in the morning

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭vickers209

Just came through there and went around in a circle shape the wrong direction for a roundabout anti clockwise on a stop go system.

it looks likely it will be a roundabout by morning a big one too.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭badgerbroc11

Just went through also. Looks like they are putting in the full roundabout at the beehive. Similar size to the one at Jack Whites inn. Will definitely impact traffic for the next few weeks

I think on the n11 website it says that roundabout will be functional as part of north bound traffic crossing the bridge at the bee hive and coming off the new slip road, in order to join the new north bound tie in currently under construction.

It's a roundabout.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,816 ✭✭✭✭josip

It's a roundabout.

Pics?

No pics sorry. It was always a roundabout but we were driving through the unfinished centre of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭BigMoose

Is it now treated as an actual roundabout with the mainline traffic stopping at it to give way to stuff joining from the side roads? Can see a massive queue on Fridays back up the N11 if so.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,278 ✭✭✭secman

Just heard that a stop and go will be in operation from 7pm this evening so they can complete the construction of the roundabout overnight. Hoping to get through it well before 7.

I hit the bee hive at 4.40 yesterday. Traffic was very light and free flowing. Especially considering the awful weather.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,690 ✭✭✭jd

So it looks like traffic will be on new north bound carriageway from the Beehive soon?
    From
    https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=15/52.9595/-6.0924

348144.png

• Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭serfboard

Local Road: L1003
    Note from attached image that vacant field adjacent to motorway is now service area site
    348218.png

The Gorey Services has been mapped out on OpenStreetMap here.

Tarmac going down at the northern tie in.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭badgerbroc11

I see diggers in at the end of the Arklow bypass this morning. Looks like they are going to join the road going by Arklow rugby club to the new side road we are currently driving. This should allow them to finish tying in the Arklow bypass to the new bypass.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

The more I look at it. The more I'm convinced it will not be open for traffic anywhere near end of August

• Registered Users Posts: 5,690 ✭✭✭jd

BoatMad wrote: »
    The more I look at it. The more I'm convinced it will not be open for traffic anywhere near end of August

I believe we all know that's what you think by now! What makes you so sure of this?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

jd wrote: »
    I believe we all know that's what you think by now! What makes you so sure of this?

Based on looking at other motorway finishes, there is quite a time between end of heavy construction , i.e. road finishes etc, to actual opening. The M11, still has as far as I can see, the final wear surface has to be laid, a bridge to be put in service, safety barrier completion, two ends joined up. finish junctions, signage, lighting, inspection and commissioning

cant see that happening in essentially 3.5 months

• Registered Users Posts: 13,816 ✭✭✭✭josip

Based on looking at other motorway finishes, there is quite a time between end of heavy construction , i.e. road finishes etc, to actual opening. The M11, still has as far as I can see, the final wear surface has to be laid, a bridge to be put in service, safety barrier completion, two ends joined up. finish junctions, signage, lighting, inspection and commissioning

From looking at the amount to be done when I'm passing I'd be inclined to agree with you.
    However I can't remember the last time when the NRA/politicians/local council were wrong about the ready date in the last 6 months prior to finishing.
    So I'm assuming that if they're sticking with an end of August date, then they know enough about what needs to be done so as not to end up with egg on their faces

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭lottpaul

The new overbridge, roundabouts etc between Barndarrig and Jack Whites is to open this coming weekend I'm told. Shouldn't have too much effect on traffic if it runs as smoothly as the Scratnagh bridge did a few weeks ago. There will also be access from this bridge to the minor road to Brittas Bay, a route used by a lot of locals, which has been closed for almost 2 years? Perhaps more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

The lighting is only at the 2 junctions.
    The bridge can be put in service in an afternoon, like happened at the bridge at DTE in Scratenagh.

The M8 Mitchelstown got entirely built in 17 months, I doubt there was 3.5 months dotting i's and crossing t's there.

Advertisement