Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M11 - Arklow to Rathnew

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Geogregor

Patww79 wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

It is not a uniquely Irish thing. Did you ever drive in Poland or further east? If not that means you have never seen aggressive driving.

I prefer driving in Ireland any time.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,981 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Patww79 wrote: »
    I think Irish drivers are far too timid, they never blow the horn to discipline others. Try driving in USA/Germany/France, you'll get blown out of it.

spacetweek wrote: »
    I think Irish drivers are far too timid, they never blow the horn to discipline others. Try driving in USA/Germany/France, you'll get blown out of it.
    Way OT, but in the US, especially Texas you'll literally get shot if you cut someone up!

Anyway, what's this to do with a new motorway being built near Arklow. :confused:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,981 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Soon our Cumberland Gap will be closed :)
    UK road heads will get that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭busyatwork

What differience will blowing the horn make you will only get the **** off symbol back or worse ,yhe **** kick out of ya

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Almost, but you'll have to have a nonsensical, political number change near the Beehive :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭dmeehan

and for the rest of us: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A74_road#Cumberland_Gap

• Registered Users Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭jd

I'd say the ppp contract stated the developer gets no money until all 3 projects are complete, so there's no rush to finish the petrol station.

There's concrete median barrier down on a bit of the new road as of last Monday.
    Wonder if there'll be much stir next week, do builders holidays still happen?

I think it's out to tender at the moment, read it in the Wexford People a few weeks ago.
    Doubt it'll do great business before the Enniscorthy by-pass opens, partly because of the Ashford offline service area, so maybe no great rush.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

The n11 website has been updated. It talks about the ongoing works at the beehive plus it goes in to some detail on the works about to start on the north tie in.

Unfortunately it says that these tie in works will be in place until August so if it does take that long we can assume the motorway won't be opening too much ahead of schedule.

http://www.n7n11.ie/n11-update/

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Geogregor

The n11 website has been updated. It talks about the ongoing works at the beehive plus it goes in to some detail on the works about to start on the north tie in.

Unfortunately it says that these tie in works will be in place until August so if it does take that long we can assume the motorway won't be opening too much ahead of schedule.

http://www.n7n11.ie/n11-update/

They could put a bit larger photos there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭mackerski

During the weekend, I drove the entire route in each direction including interesting side roads where realignment has taken place. Photos of the whole thing can be viewed in Mapillary (a crowdsourced street view system). Click on any of the track logs shown to see the images at that point, but note that certain sections will have multiple tracklogs present (for different directions or from different surveys). Zoom in to make things simpler.

https://www.mapillary.com/map/im/c8PDbyzO4PcCrUDwceOFMg

I see work has started on the north end to remove some of the existing median to allow north flowing traffic shift to the southbound lane.

I'm not looking forward to Friday evenings if this is in place until August!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Mr.Boots

I know nothing of road building but I travel this road twice a day and have had a sense that they were ahead of schedule due to very good weather over last autumn, winter and now spring. I would be suprised if is going to take till August to complete, I have nothing other than observing the progress until now to base this on but I kinda thought it would be done by end of June.

Mr.Boots wrote: »
    I I have nothing other than observing the progress until now to base this on but I kinda thought it would be done by end of June.
    I think the last part, the northern tie in, is the bit that will add in the extra weeks

Mr.Boots wrote: »
    I know nothing of road building but I travel this road twice a day and have had a sense that they were ahead of schedule due to very good weather over last autumn, winter and now spring. I would be suprised if is going to take till August to complete, I have nothing other than observing the progress until now to base this on but I kinda thought it would be done by end of June.

Same here. But as said before, basic project management has you overstating dates to allow for all eventualities. Plus they mightnt want to publicly declare yet that they are indeed ahead of a schedule.

It really would be great if it was complete by June. Friday evenings are intolerable from before the beehive.
    I'm on a bus so the coast road isn't an option.

jd wrote: »
    I think the last part, the northern tie in, is the bit that will add in the extra weeks

Yeah, if you look at the bee hive junction, as a comparison, its a relatively confined discrete piece of work. It has been going on a few months at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭vickers209

New layout on N11 at Scratenagh from Saturday

http://www.wicklownews.net/2015/04/new-layout-on-n11-at-scratenagh-from-saturday/

Final link at arklow side to allow completion of the mainline road opening tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭badgerbroc11

vickers209 wrote: »
    New layout on N11 at Scratenagh from Saturday

Final link at arklow side to allow completion of the mainline road opening tomorrow

Having to navigate two junctions, onto and off of the new flyover bridge is likely to have a big impact on traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

Looking at it today ( I travel this section very day ) , id say August is optimistic. Theres a lot to be done imho, Ive seen "almost " complete motorways take weeks to actually open

the jams are going to get a lot worse before it gets better

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

I got caught in the opening of this on Saturday afternoon, heading south, traffic stopped approaching the new bridge. I took the left at Scratenagh cross and headed in the Sea Road, thought there was a crash as there were no cars coming northbound in the 6-7 mins we were in the queue.

There were other lads laying asphalt back nearer Eftim Hurleys on the main line, after 4pm on Saturday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Buckmark1

The new junction didn't seem to cause much of a hold up along the road this morning . The things that could delay the a June opening is the second flyover bridge and the northern tie in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Yeah slightly dreading the Friday evening !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭mackerski

Because of the opening of the new bridge I've driven some fresh Mapillary footage:

Northbound: http://www.mapillary.com/map/im/C1XomDr-B_j_hplpQ9P4Og
    Southbound:http://www.mapillary.com/map/im/AOQnXZw5AYmNWIuJdI0qzw

And OpenStreetMap is, of course, updated.

BoatMad wrote: »
    Looking at it today ( I travel this section very day ) , id say August is optimistic.
    I disagree - BAM will be keen to get cracking on the N25 scheme and then the Enniscorthy by-pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭dmeehan

I disagree - BAM will be keen to get cracking on the N25 scheme and then the Enniscorthy by-pass.
    Is the N25 scheme you mention the New Ross Bypass?

dmeehan wrote: »
    Is the N25 scheme you mention the New Ross Bypass?
    Yup

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

I hope so , for my sanity in the Autumn when the schools reopen, but well know soon enough

remember all the heavy earthmoving is already gone, so BAM have more then sufficient subbies to begin M11 extension. Thats not a factor

There is a new diversion at the Rathnew end of the roadworks just after the beehive . It is part of the northern tie in

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭hairyslug

Buckmark1 wrote: »
    There is a new diversion at the Rathnew end of the roadworks just after the beehive . It is part of the northern tie in

I think that will be there for a while until they join the current n11 to the new section, Fridays for the next 4 months are not going to be fun

Advertisement