Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M11 - Arklow to Rathnew

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,956 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

The M11 service station will be built on the N11.

It actually is being built on the M11. The sign, however, isn't on it...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,226 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

vickers209 wrote: »
    The location of the sign is wrong that's the end of the Rathnew bypass heading towards arklow.:eek:
    I am pretty sure i seen the 16.5km dual carriageway sign outside the site for the service area heading north from Gorey

I thought it was the beginning of the m11 (old arklow bypass) which would be a sensible place to put it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭vickers209

Yes the sign at the site of garage on Gorey bypass heading north is the sign that should be at rathnew had a look today going by

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

vickers209 wrote: »
    Yes the sign at the site of garage on Gorey bypass heading north is the sign that should be at rathnew had a look today going by

Ha ha....that's gas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭nordydan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,169 ✭✭✭prunudo

Hadn't been down around the works for a while so said I'd take a spin down and see how it was progressing.
    Looks like they've being putting culverts and ditches in but bar that there appears to be very little work going on. Few machines around Lil Doyle's but that's it. Very surprised, thought they'd be going full steam ahead.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,956 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Huge amount of offline earthworks which may (or may not) be underway.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭claytonie

They were going great guns at the beginning of October but activity has definitely been a lot quieter over the past two weeks. From looking at the n7n11.ie site it seems these were just the preparatory works being done.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,631 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I was down in Gorey this afternoon and from what I could see (and in comparison to the last time I drove along that stretch of the N11) work seems to be proceeding at a distinctly glacial pace.

Very little done in the way of earthworks to date.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭ITDept

Doing the daily commute from Gorey to Dublin has become even longer and more tedious than usual recently. Not a lot happening in terms of obvious roadworks, but I'm ending up stationary quite frequently both morning and evening. I wish they'd crack on with it a bit. There only ever seem to be a maximum of about 10 people 'working' at any one time, which is a bit disappointing. Also, they seemed to almost shut down for the Halloween mid-term break - it would have been nice if they'd doubled their effort while the traffic was at its lightest. Ho hum.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

The job certainly seems to be progressing very slowly. Plenty of track machines but little or no earth hauling trucks. Some works on drainage and services is all I'm seeing at present.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,169 ✭✭✭prunudo

There was an article in the north Wicklow times last week saying that they were going to be starting work on the construction of the bridges shortly.

Are they resurfacing a bit that is going to be destroyed in a couple of months, or have I misunderstood that? I didn't really think it needed resurfacing anyway - particularly not during rush hours :mad:

ITDept wrote: »
    Are they resurfacing a bit that is going to be destroyed in a couple of months, or have I misunderstood that? I didn't really think it needed resurfacing anyway - particularly not during rush hours :mad:

At this time of year around Wicklow you'll see a lot of road works. They need to spend the budget or else they won't get the same again next year.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Maybe it's for a section that will be tied into the final scheme?

spacetweek wrote: »
    Maybe it's for a section that will be tied into the final scheme?

No, nothing to do with it.

To give them the benefit of the doubt, maybe the construction equipment was destroying the road surface and they didn't want to let it collapse altogether with Winter approaching. Still don't see why it has to be done during rush hours though.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭badgerbroc11

Looks like they are building a fly over / bridge at Lil Doyles

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

There was no-one working on this last Saturday morning

• Registered Users Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭jd

There was no-one working on this last Saturday morning
    The were working on that previously mentioned bridge/flyover on Friday
    283983.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,631 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Looks like work on this scheme is finally gearing up a notch.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Reuben1210

Anyone got any new photos from construction? Haven't been down that way in a few months...also, what is the logic of applegreen building the MSA at the old cullenmore site, and the NRA building the other one at Gorey?...there's still those stupid garages at Kilmacanogue and also more in Camolin after the motorway finishes....seems like neither is really viable being so close together along a route which has a long way to go (if ever) before it is all motorway between Dublin and Wexford...

Reuben1210 wrote: »
    ...there's still those stupid garages at Kilmacanogue and also more in Camolin after the motorway finishes... a route which has a long way to go (if ever) before it is all motorway between Dublin and Wexford...

Clogh-Camolin is at tender stage, so it's possible work may start in the next 2-3 years

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭badgerbroc11

jd wrote: »
    Clogh-Camolin is at tender stage, so it's possible work may start in the next 2-3 years

i've heard that the Enniscorthy bypass is due to start next year. I find it hard to believe but if that is the case the service station in gorey would make a lot of sense

Anyone got any new photos from construction? Haven't been down that way in a few months...also, what is the logic of applegreen building the MSA at the old cullenmore site, and the NRA building the other one at Gorey?...there's still those stupid garages at Kilmacanogue and also more in Camolin after the motorway finishes....seems like neither is really viable being so close together along a route which has a long way to go (if ever) before it is all motorway between Dublin and Wexford...

NRA plan far predates Applegreens one. Applegreen at this stage should know what (if any, but I suspect theres quite a bit) of extra business is generated just by actually having services. As it stands there's one station on one side between Kilmac and Camolin and it doesn't do food. The ones at Kilmac are highly dangerous to get in/out of and (northbound particularly) have very little parking.

Even pre-Clogh/Camolin, at least one full MSA is needed and two will probably survive. Once its done there'll be nothing between Kilmac and Wexford otherwise and nothing properly suitable between Wexford and Enfield/Lusk.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Reuben1210

by the way, why hasn't anyone seriously tried to have the kilmac area made safer, or upgraded or even just grade separated? seems like a crazy design!

by the way, why hasn't anyone seriously tried to have the kilmac area made safer, or upgraded or even just grade separated? seems like a crazy design!
    Best thing would be to cpo and demolish the two service stations

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭serfboard

i've heard that the Enniscorthy bypass is due to start next year. I find it hard to believe
    Wouldn't surprise me. The Minister for Wexford seems to be fairly good at bringing home the pork and since he's in finance ...

Similar to the way that the Minister for Limerick is delivering for his constituency - hospital expansion followed by UL expansion ...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭road_high

serfboard wrote: »
    Wouldn't surprise me. The Minister for Wexford seems to be fairly good at bringing home the pork and since he's in finance ...

Similar to the way that the Minister for Limerick is delivering for his constituency - hospital expansion followed by UL expansion ...

There's a huge perception in Wexford, rightly or wrongly, that they were totally ignored by FF govts.
    All the surrounding counties "got" new motorways whereas all that was done in Wexford was the Gorey bypass on the M11.
    Howlin is definitely playing the influence card (and why wouldn't he) to get projects in his own constituency finally off the playing boards.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

road_high wrote: »
    There's a huge perception in Wexford, rightly or wrongly, that they were totally ignored by FF govts.
    All the surrounding counties "got" new motorways whereas all that was done in Wexford was the Gorey bypass on the M11.
    I certainly hope they don't think that motorways must be built in a county just because a neighbouring county has one!

Advertisement