Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Traffic Blues - Cork

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,270 ✭✭✭source

480905 wrote: »
    This woman was on a motorway as far as I remember. 140 on a motorway isn't the crime of the century.As I'm sure any member who has done their driving course can say. There are very few reading this that hasn't done that speed and more on a motorway. The lad in the film was only short of wagging his finger :confused::confused::confused: AND he gave a ticket :eek::eek: .
    As CharlieCroker said ,either or, not both.
    The only man entitled to give me a lecture is the man who made me. Save the lectures for home lads.
    Any one any thoughts on the book of road accident scenes for speeding drivers to look at while you do them?

Actually she was on the Naas Road, which is the N7, a national road with a limit of 100km/h. She was doing around 40k/h over the limit. If I stopped someone going 40 over the limit they'd get a telling off along with the ticket.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭Bosh

Any one any thoughts on the book of road accident scenes for speeding drivers to look at while you do them?

So you don't want to be given a lecture, but instead it's ok to be made look at an album of pictures?

Maybe a bit of auld Powerpoint, (without a lecturing narrative of course), would be the job........

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭480905

foinse wrote: »
    Actually she was on the Naas Road, which is the N7, a national road with a limit of 100km/h. She was doing around 40k/h over the limit. If I stopped someone going 40 over the limit they'd get a telling off along with the ticket.

There's no need to be pedantic about things. She wasn't on a 30 kph limit doing 140 is my point. Nobody reading this hasn't passed a speed limit on a motorway or any some such carriageway.

There's no need to be pedantic about things. She wasn't on a 30 kph limit doing 140 is my point. Nobody reading this hasn't passed a speed limit on a motorway or any some such carriageway.

I wasn't being pedantic, I was correcting a point you made that was wrong. She was still going almost 40k over the limit on a road with a whole load of exits.

The chances of an accident were high and she was putting the lives of her children at risk. When the member saw the kids he got pissed off and rightly so.
    Putting kids in danger like that is despicable.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Rawhead

I would be of the view that you either get a bollocking or a ticket. If you are doing 20kph over the speed limit on a motorway in a car designed and built for speeds in excess of 250kph then I really don't think it's a capital offence. If the Garda doesn't exercise his discretionary powers and gives a ticket then fair enough, but giving a lecture and then sticking in the boot strikes me of the UK traffic policing style. 99% of Gardai are spot on and their style of policing is way better than the pedantic jobsworths that police the UK motorways. If you are a complete clown then bollocking and ticket, if you pass the attitude test then one or other.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Funny we have another thread going were a ticket was issued with no discussion and the driver is fuming. 140k in a high discovery is plain stupid, i Dont see the harm in that case to issue a ticket and educate the driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭480905

foinse wrote: »
    I wasn't being pedantic, I was correcting a point you made that was wrong. She was still going almost 40k over the limit on a road with a whole load of exits.

The chances of an accident were high and she was putting the lives of her children at risk. When the member saw the kids he got pissed off and rightly so.
    Putting kids in danger like that is despicable.

Putting kids in danger like that is despicable, IF she was driving a 1.2 litre car (capable of 80 at a stretch) and hairing along the "motorway" or "national road" at 140km. Then LOCK HER UP......

Foinse, me ould flower, 140km in a LR Discovery on a motorway or National Road that has a limit 20 or 40 km less ?? Come on..... In a Micra, lock her up and take her kids off her , by all means..
    A example of the Nanny state gone mad.

People need to be responsible for their own actions. And they need to realise it's NOT the Government's fault, It's not the Gardai's fault , it's not ANYBODY ELSE'S fault but their own , if , they decide to drive outside of the capability of the vehicle they are driving....

Putting kids in danger like that is despicable, IF she was driving a 1.2 litre car (capable of 80 at a stretch) and hairing along the "motorway" or "national road" at 140km. Then LOCK HER UP......

Foinse, me ould flower, 140km in a LR Discovery on a motorway or National Road that has a limit 20 or 40 km less ?? Come on..... In a Micra, lock her up and take her kids off her , by all means..

Land Rovers aren't as safe as you make them out to be, because they're so tall they tend to roll at high speeds:

This one rolled on a highway in South Africa, both driver and passenger were seriously injured.
    rover_20070203_001.jpg

rover_20070203_002.jpg

This one rolled and the driver was killed, luckily he was the only one in the car at the time:

rover_20061009_002.jpg

And this last one is the one that really proves my point, this one drove into a parked car at 80mph, which translates to 128kph. 12kph less than the lady who was in Traffic Blues.
    landrover_20060130_001.jpg

Do you really think children aged 2 or 3 could walk away from these crashes? because I don't.

People need to be responsible for their own actions. And they need to realise it's NOT the Government's fault, It's not the Gardai's fault , it's not ANYBODY ELSE'S fault but their own , if , they decide to drive outside of the capability of the vehicle they are driving....

Yes I agree that people need to take responsibility for their own actions, you're 100% correct in saying that it's not the Gardai or the Governments fault if they crash, however, I believe you will find that I never said it was.

What I did say is, AGS have a responsibility to other road users to ensure their safety, and to ensure that the roads are a safe place to travel. If that means a bollocking at the side of the road for a motorist driving like an idiot then so be it. We just want to avoid the above examples happening on our roads. If I hurt some persons feelings by giving them a bollocking, then I really don't care, so long as they get the message and SLOW DOWN!!!!!!

Contrary to what the RSA adverts tell us, it's not just young male drivers who are responsible for crashes and road deaths in this country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭Bosh

Which is fine, if she were driving unaccompanied on an empty motorway, with no other traffic whatsoever. However, it isn't only her that's involved. She was driving a 2.5 tonne car at 40kph over the posted limit. What if she rear ended the Micra with kids in the back seat of it? There has to be laws and enforcement, this universal whinge about the 'Nanny State' is merely a cop out for those who choose to cherry pick which laws and regulations they wish to observe.

Correct and right, therefore people must accept the fact that when you make a decision whether or not to comply with the law, you must then also accept the consequences. Again, if it all goes wrong due to them driving outside their capabilities it won't be just themselves affected.

Yes, some drivers are better than others, yes some drive safer cars than others, but unfortunately laws have to be one size fits all, you cannot tailor them to suit everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭savagecabbages

140% of the posted speed limit is unacceptable. Thats nearly 1 1/2 times the limit!

Would everyone be happier if the Guard stopped her, told her what speed she was doing, issued a ticket and told her have a nice evening? Shes not going to learn much from that...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

Without wanting to jump on the band wagon here, and I think my last post on this thread was misinterpreted but I just have 2 more cent to add.

140kp/h on a motorway, even a 100km/h dual carriage in some situations, not dangerous at all. Empty motorway, good lighting and road conditions then fine, not very dangerous at all - most cars are capable of that speed.

But add in other drivers. From my own driving experience and the amount of stupid driving manoeuvres I have seen I have made up my own mind that the majority of other road users out there do not know how to drive. Every time I take to the m50 I am expecting somebody to do something stupid and try to kill me.

Only yesterday a silver Opel Insignia pulled from the outer most lane across three lanes of heavy traffic (1.30pm), crossed the white hatchings and just barely missed the barrier at the Ballymount exit on the m50 at a speed of over 100km/h. I was about 3 cars behind him and almost had a heart attack, not only would he have been killed, countless other vehicles behind him would have been involved in a serious accident.

What I am trying to say is, you may well be capable of driving at 140kp/h and do not see a problem with it, but somebody out there is going to do something stupid just once and you will have wished you were travelling 40kp/h slower.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

I think the M50 should have Variable Speed Limits (VSL). 100kmh is too low when there is little traffic, for example the middle of the night (Note: the M50 has street lights and cat's eyes) - in my opinion, the M50 should be 120kmh off-peak.

When traffic on the M50 is exceptionally heavy during some rush hour periods, 100kmh is probably too much. The limit could be reduced to 80kmh to make traffic flow more smoothly.

VSL could be also used to slow traffic if there accident up ahead or if there is very bad weather.

I think 140kmh is too much for the M50:
    • The lanes are narrower than other motorways so there is less margin for error.
    • Sightlines not good enough in places to travel safely at such a speed (constantly).
    • Closely spaced junctions.
    • Bad lane discipline (big problem on 3+ lane motorways and dual carriageways).
    • The M50 is not going to be totally empty at any stage day or night - you'll always have other people to consider/contend with. It's a lot different to some stretches of rural motorway which are practically empty off-peak.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,533 ✭✭✭kub

Vikings wrote: »

But add in other drivers. From my own driving experience and the amount of stupid driving manoeuvres I have seen I have made up my own mind that the majority of other road users out there do not know how to drive. Every time I take to the m50 I am expecting somebody to do something stupid and try to kill me..

Being arrogant while driving also causes accidents.
    Lets not forget it is AGS who have to attend the results of this type of driving.
    I wonder is it about time that some of these culprits be brought out to the scene of some of these accidents to perhaps see at first hand what speed and stupidity causes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

kub wrote: »
    Being arrogant while driving also causes accidents.
    Lets not forget it is AGS who have to attend the results of this type of driving.
    I wonder is it about time that some of these culprits be brought out to the scene of some of these accidents to perhaps see at first hand what speed and stupidity causes.

A Garda in Mitchelstown showed me a car in the yard in which the drivers throat was cut by impacting the windscreen. Nasty stuff..

charlemont wrote: »
    A Garda in Mitchelstown showed me a car in the yard in which the drivers throat was cut by impacting the windscreen. Nasty stuff..

Did it make you think the next time you were out driving?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

Did it make you think the next time you were out driving?

Yes, It was a bad sight, I was only there to collect a car, He came out to the yard with the keys for the gate and showed me a wreck in which an accident had occurred..The windscreen glass cut his throat, I pity anyone dealing with that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Noob question alert!

I'm enjoying this series, it's very well edited and put together

In both weeks when someone was arrested the garda put their hand on their shoulder and they state what they have to say
    It's very deliberate and looks like they were trained to do it to hold their shoulder

Is it something they've been told and trained for whenever making an arrest?
    And is there some reason behind it?
    At night and it's just a driver and a garda at the side of the road, well of course it's the driver being arrested.

Maybe it's different in a crowd in town and you need to arrest a few troublemakers and bystanders are getting involved, is that the reason behind it?

mikemac wrote: »
    Noob question alert!

I'm enjoying this series, it's very well edited and put together

In both weeks when someone was arrested the garda put their hand on their shoulder and they state what they have to say
    It's very deliberate and looks like they were trained to do it to hold their shoulder

Is it something they've been told and trained for whenever making an arrest?
    And is there some reason behind it?
    At night and it's just a driver and a garda at the side of the road, well of course it's the driver being arrested.

Maybe it's different in a crowd in town and you need to arrest a few troublemakers and bystanders are getting involved, is that the reason behind it?

Generslly you will touch the person you're arresting, kind of symbolising to them that you're taking them into your custody. Personally i take hold of the persons wrist so i can be handcuffing them while giving them the caution and explaining the reason for arrest.

Also there's no need to quote full legislation, (only done in drink driving cases because they're so heavily contested) generally explaining the arrest in laymans terms is sufficient.

mikemac wrote: »
    Noob question alert!

Whats a Noob?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Mister Jingles

Whats a Noob?
    A person thats new to something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

Whats a Noob?

pssh...n00b...:p

donvito99 wrote: »
    pssh...n00b...:p

Donvito 99 you are ' the man'.

Good episode tonight, and again as most people say this series is a lot better then the first.

Thought that the speeding biker would of getting more then 2 points, also never knew the TC had Volvo's.

And like the first show it looks like there's some footage from Donegal that never made the first series.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,482 ✭✭✭harr

Yep another good episode tonight,i taught the biker would have got a ban or at least a few more points and a higher fine considering the state his bike was in as well.
    How can someone going 10 kph over get 2 points and somebody doing 70 kph over the limit get the same points where is the justice in that.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭rallye150flyer

this years is way better than last shows the variety that the traffic corps deal with.....

was very surprised at the punishment the biker got, would love to see that volvo in person it seemed capable of good speed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭ivabiggon

"i'm arresting you for the purpose of Dangerous Driving" what sort of caution is that?
    http://www.rte.ie/player/#!v=1105011 21 mins 26 sec.
    i'm surprised he got any conviction at all, the gaurd fluffed it from the out set. "will we lift him"...my name is "eamon coglan". not even a text book arrest for the cameras. under what act did he arrest him.... sorry the camera nerves got the better of this traffic member. if the driver contested this he would have got off.

Good show again tonight, seeing the Gardai out risking their own necks for the rest of us.
    What I thought was kinda Mickey Mouse was the Garda having a word with the lady (I assume) putting on her make up in the car while stationery in traffic.
    Thats when respect gets knocked, I reckon, perhaps a wag of finger might be better indicating that kinda ' c'mon now you can't be doing that'.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,921 ✭✭✭kirving

The guy who braked heavily in the Jack Lynch tunnel is a complete dope. The second car had nowhere to go and was hit by the Ambulance!

, would love to see that volvo in person it seemed capable of good speed

One of my all time favourite cars is the S60 :D, especially the T5 which is the workhorse of the UK traffic cops.

Funny thing about that clip is when the camera is zoomed in on the speedometer it's actually a Mondeo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

One of my all time favourite cars is the S60 :D, especially the T5 which is the workhorse of the UK traffic cops.

Funny thing about that clip is when the camera is zoomed in on the speedometer it's actually a Mondeo.
    Both have green backlighting. The dashboard was deffo a Volvo.

Advertisement