Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Traffic Blues - Cork

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

much better than season 1. i still feel the episodes are a bit short. they leave me wanting more. i suppose the producers are doing their job then though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

I'd like to think the producers took note of the comments on this forum about the last series - this new one is so much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭cjmcork

POGAN wrote: »
    Just watched tonight's esp of traffic blues good chases again cork next week jack lynch tunnel rta

surprised there aren't more accidents in the tunnel - was driving through this afternoon and some dope in a (yes, I'm naming and shaming) KK reg grey corolla 5-door hatchback (we'll meet again pet :mad:) pulled across me in the middle of the tunnel on a single white line, I flashed her, and she kindly waved at me..............then continued to break the red lights on the side of the tunnel heading for Dublin.............clearly she was very important and the rules of the road don't apply to her

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

lets hope we get street wars soon enough.

I loved the Cork garda's greeting to the guy he'd pulled over a few weeks earlier - how are ya boy.........!!!:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

cjmcork wrote: »
    I loved the Cork garda's greeting to the guy he'd pulled over a few weeks earlier - how are ya boy.........!!!:D

Yeah , I noticed that too - I was waiting for him to say when he found the weed '' jayz now boy , aren't ya a fierce langer ? '' :D

Delancey wrote: »
    Yeah , I noticed that too - I was waiting for him to say when he found the weed '' jayz now boy , aren't ya a fierce langer ? '' :D

how much would that cost ya on Pana like feen!? ah brilliant - nice to hear it though!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

Have to say, I thought the first episode was better. Would love to see more car chases, but I suppose it's not all about that. Next weeks one looks good and am looking forward to it. More fantastic work done by An Garda Siochana, well done to all involved.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,324 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

No nonsense, walking on eggshells, self-censorship type stuff with this series.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Sterling Archer

Really enjoying this series, much better i now look forward to watching it as apposed to the last series which i watched on rte player in the wee hours of the morning while bored... Two Thumbs up lads great work

• Advertisement

Caught the first two episodes on the RTE site. Much more serious effort this time it'd seem. Somebody, somewhere, is trying to polish up the image of the Gardaí.

To be honest, I love the Gardaí, but i thought season 1 was so bad it was good. It was easily the funniest Irish TV programming I had seen in years (and I'm not trying to take digs at the guys that are behind it or the Gardaí taking the time to get involved or anything, I understand these can be very difficult shows to do).

Some of the lines from the series still have me laughing.

At 7mins in this video, for example;

Garda: You're only starting out on the road now. You've no wing mirror, you're driving a car that has smoke billowing from the bonnet. Look at that... that's not ideal! You've no driving license with you, you've no L plates up, you've no fully qualified driver with you... You're not getting off to the best start!

You couldn't write it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Some of the lines from the series still have me laughing.

Garda: You're only starting out on the road now. You've no wing mirror, you're driving a car that has smoke billowing from the bonnet. Look at that... that's not ideal! You've no driving license with you, you've no L plates up, you've no fully qualified driver with you... You're not getting off to the best start!

You couldn't write it.

The funniest part came just after that quote, when that particularly self-righteous Garda decided to let him drive off in the rustbucket he'd spent the previous five minutes lecturing about! Nonsense!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭wellbutty

Tollda wrote: »
    Its only on RTE Player for people living in the Republic of Ireland :mad:

I emailed them about this, as below:

Me:
    Hi,

I'm currently living abroad and enjoy many of the shows on RTE Player. Unfortunately it seems the first episode of the new series of Traffic Blues is not available on the international player.

I understand that for contractual reasons, sporting broadcasts can only be viewed in Ireland but considering that we can view Nationwide and Prime Time, it seems odd to me that Traffic Blues (another home-made programme) cannot be shown abroad.

Can you please enlighten me as to why this might be and if there are plans to correct this?

Their pitiful reply:
    Thank you for contacting RTÉ player with your query.

Where possible, we endeavour to make as many programmes as possible available in the RTÉ player to viewers.

However, due to various copyright licensing agreements, some programmes can only be streamed to viewers located in the Republic of Ireland. Consequently viewers outside this location will be unable to view these programmes, although they will still be able to view any other programme cleared for streaming internationally.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭savagecabbages

Get firefox and install foxyproxy. It can re-route your IP through any country, thus allowing you to watch streams only allowed in some regions.

I've used it to watch UK programs on the BBC player, so assume it can be used for Irish stuff outside of Ireland.
    Loads of tutorials online...

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭wicklaman83

Would other agencies normally be on garda frequencies since they moved to tetra.I'm refering to the section where the immigration unit got involved with the chase.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

cjmcork wrote: »

A Garda with good decent manners and by not acting the twat, He got a result.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,270 ✭✭✭source

darren254 wrote: »
    Would other agencies normally be on garda frequencies since they moved to tetra.I'm refering to the section where the immigration unit got involved with the chase.

No they wouldn't, the immigration unit is part of An Garda Siochana. GNIB (Garda National Immigration Unit) is the only immigration service in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

One thing that occured to me was how isolated country and even city units can be.

The chase up in Drogheda could only summon an immigration jeep early on and only really was assisted by one other unit for the entireity of the chase.

The chase in South Dublin took a while to be flooded with patrol cars (as it was when the vehicle crashed at the bridge).

Just goes to show how isolated patrols/beat Gardaí can be and is the most compelling argument for more comprehensive facilities and equipment, and also for current numbers to be maintained.

Because this series is shaping up to be more extreme (:cool:), the genuine and highly explicit excitement/adrenalin fueled commentary of the garda in the Louth pursuit is a good example, I think the public (I will certainly) will be more appreciative of the risks that Gardaí face in the most seemingly mediocre situations while maintaining complete professionalism throughout.

Keep up the good work. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,933 ✭✭✭✭flazio

I've gotta ask though, about the lad who got 4 points and disqualified for 2 years.
    Erm wouldn't the points have expired by then?

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Hally_89

flazio wrote: »
    I've gotta ask though, about the lad who got 4 points and disqualified for 2 years.
    Erm wouldn't the points have expired by then?

No penalty points are on your licence for 3 years. And his more than likely only come into effect after the disqualification

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭480905

There was a part in that programme where a person is stopped doing 140 in a Discovery. He commenced a lecture on speeding to the driver... Why do Gardai take it upon themselves to feel they can lecture people about the speed they drive? The driver is quite capable of making decisions about their driving and can live with the consequences when and if something happens. They choose to drive in this fashion, no amount of lecturing from anybody is going to change that. Let them answer in court for their actions.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,270 ✭✭✭source

480905 wrote: »
    There was a part in that programme where a person is stopped doing 140 in a Discovery. He commenced a lecture on speeding to the driver... Why do Gardai take it upon themselves to feel they can lecture people about the speed they drive? The driver is quite capable of making decisions about their driving and can live with the consequences when and if something happens. They choose to drive in this fashion, no amount of lecturing from anybody is going to change that. Let them answer in court for their actions.

Because ensuring road safety is a major part of the job, it's not all just summonses, charges and chases. Gardai do this in an often vein attempt to get people to change their driving habits, so that their foolish decisions don't wind up costing other motorists their lives.

It is a Garda's responsibility to ensure the safety all road users, they do this by explaining to motorists who are poor drivers, in as blunt a way as possible why their actions are putting other road users in danger.

Far better idea to have a picture book of road crash scenes and let them browse through it while you're filling out the ticket. And have a big smile when you give them the ticket and wish them a safe journey.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

480905 wrote: »

Are you for real? Honestly, what made you write that? If/when something happens and they kill a car full of people... so many scenario's it's not worth getting into. I genuinely hope you do not mean that statement.

You hope that I don't mean what?? That people should take the consequences for their own actions?? Absolutely I do. If someone makes a decision to drive like lunatics then they should ABSOLUTELY take the consequences for their actions.. What would your opinion be?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭McCrack

I actually tend to agree with 480905.

I don't think police should get into pointing out/criticising poor or illegal driving to people they stop.

FPN is the consequence and that's all police are mandated to do. Personally I would not be inclined to engage with a copper waving the finger and shaking the head at me.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,714 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

McCrack wrote: »
    FPN is the consequence and that's all police are mandated to do.
    I'm afraid that is incorrect. All law enforcement officers are also crime prevention officers, and as such, are responsible to pass on advice and guidance if they have pulled someone for excess speed and there is a school or a church in the area.

All cops have procedure that must be followed when pulling someone over for speeding etc. One of the things we do is advise the person of the speed limit on the road they are traveling on so they'll know for future reference. I have plenty of experience stopping people who genuinely believed they were in a 40mph zone whereas it was only 30mph. While I appreciate that some people might consider pointing out schools and hospitals to be a lecture, it's a conversation that must be had, and a record made in the notebook in case the person then goes on to dispute the ticket. We should be able to tell the judge that we explained the surroundings in full to the defendant and advised them of the prescribed limit for their own future reference - getting in the bit of crime prevention which is part and parcel of the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭McCrack

Providing and guidance and advice on crime prevention is different from lecturing. In a speed stop situation it is quite right for a copper to point out the speed limit and the alleged speed he/she says the motorist was doing.

To stray into questioning the reason for the speeding, consequence of speeding in general, questioning the mentality of the motorist or criticising the speed alleged is not providing guidance and advice in the true sense of the words.

That kind of thing only serves to get peoples backs up.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

When i was a student, I was told by the senior man to either give a bollocking or a ticket, not both. Still tend to operate that rule

• Advertisement

Shield wrote: »
    I'm afraid that is incorrect. All law enforcement officers are also crime prevention officers, and as such, are responsible to pass on advice and guidance if they have pulled someone for excess speed and there is a school or a church in the area.

This woman was on a motorway as far as I remember. 140 on a motorway isn't the crime of the century.As I'm sure any member who has done their driving course can say. There are very few reading this that hasn't done that speed and more on a motorway. The lad in the film was only short of wagging his finger :confused::confused::confused: AND he gave a ticket :eek::eek: .
    As CharlieCroker said ,either or, not both.
    The only man entitled to give me a lecture is the man who made me. Save the lectures for home lads.
    Any one any thoughts on the book of road accident scenes for speeding drivers to look at while you do them?

Advertisement