Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starbucks??

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

Yeah any new coffee shop would need to stand out from the crowd and offer a service that is not already catered for as you have outlined above. Same goes for every other new business.

A run of the mill coffee shop just won't cut it anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Icky Thump wrote: »
    old Javas didnt roast their own beans

never said Javas roasted their own beans, I said layout like Javas.

My god some misery guts here, I have plenty of business experience .
    Thanks Ron and Limerick_Lass for your support.

I want to open a different type of coffee shop. Couchs, books, wifi relaxing atmosphere, a place people can hang out at weekends or in the evening. Most importantly its going to be smack bang in the middle of the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭supermommy

kilburn wrote: »

I want to open a different type of coffee shop. Couchs, books, wifi relaxing atmosphere, a place people can hang out at weekends or in the evening. Most importantly its going to be smack bang in the middle of the city.

This would be awesome. Please do this..this town needs a late night coffee shop.
    You go to the states and places like starbucks are full of teens with nothing better to do, hanging out trying to look cool drinking their latte's...
    It beats the alternative..drinking their faces off in a housing estate somewhere, causing trouble..
    :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

ULstudent wrote: »
    The fake starbucks in UL does tazo tea if i remember correctly, chai teas too. They are closed though until the new term starts.

Nah they don't.I've been out there last few weeks and just got Barrys.
    Ah well, will get some next time in Dublin.

Kilburn, Limerick is crying out for a place like that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

Pleas Please Please open one that stays open late....its a sad state that if you want to meet someone after work 90% of the time its going to be in a pub!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Vanolder

Very badly needed in Limerick. Best of luck with it... Sell chai lattes and I'll be into you!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Builderfromhell

A late night, independent funky coffee shop would be a great assest to the city. However, it is worth noting that places that sell food and drinks on a self seve basis and have a quick turnover make money. A coffee shop where you can sit for an hour with your book, or chat with friends while listening to good music is more of a social service than a business. You can't make money from people spending 2.50 and taking a whole table for an hour.
    Regrettably, places that are relaxing and agreeable have difficulty surviving.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭munstergirl

Maybe i am a misery guts :) but how are you going to make €€, you know people can spend hours over 1 cup of coffee. Free wifi won't make you any €.

I'm all for new business in limerick, the town does need something in the evening, but pubs sell coffee, they are struggling, and i said already limerick has so many coffee shops, and book shops are also fighting for business. Next time your in town have a wander around all the book shops, and see how much the cash register is ringing.

Maybe i am a misery guts, but i think i am just being realistic.
    Best of luck in your new venture!

I've been saying it ever since Javas closed - it is sorely missed. The trick is to balance the aforementioned profit versus hangout spot. They don't have to be mutually exclusive. If you can get that balance right you are on to a winner. I have plenty of ideas on that front.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

RonMexico wrote: »
    I've been saying it ever since Javas closed - it is sorely missed. The trick is to balance the aforementioned profit versus hangout spot. They don't have to be mutually exclusive. If you can get that balance right you are on to a winner. I have plenty of ideas on that front.

I dunno, "hang out" coffee shops are generally frequented by stoner/waster/eternal student types and if it's money you are trying to make this deomgraphic ain't exactly going to put your kids through college.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭munstergirl

Some of the best coffee shops i have been to are in italy, where you order your coffee, drink at counter + leave, fab coffee, + cheaper too!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭dave 27

i think this is a really good idea, Limerick has a huge young population and nearly 30,000 students, if something with a big profile and enough advertising opened it could be a great success!

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭lasno

A new Italian coffee shop opening soon in Little Catherine street.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Vanolder

dave 27 wrote: »
    i think this is a really good idea, Limerick has a huge young population and nearly 30,000 students, if something with a big profile and enough advertising opened it could be a great success!

Exactly, it's all about marketing... Small societies, or talk groups are calling out for a venue like this in the evening and Student deals also... open mic night, poetry etc etc.

Itsdacraic wrote: »
    I dunno, "hang out" coffee shops are generally frequented by stoner/waster/eternal student types and if it's money you are trying to make this deomgraphic ain't exactly going to put your kids through college.

No offence but that is stereotypical rubbish. That "demographic" piss their disposable income up against the wall every night of the week because there is no place to "hang out" besides bars/clubs who seem to welcome them with open arms.

would love to hear your suggestions and ideas on what makes the perfect coffee shop. Have you been to one the you particularly liked outside of limerick

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

lasno wrote: »
    A new Italian coffee shop opening soon in Little Catherine street.

Any more details on this?Proper coffee shop or a get in em at lunch time place

I think i said in another thread Javas,Captain jacks,The Milk Bar,cafe on the row all tried the late night and it didnt work.I remember javas use to stay open till 4am but this was cut back to round 9 or 10 pm max

bigpink wrote: »
    I think i said in another thread Javas,Captain jacks,The Milk Bar,cafe on the row all tried the late night and it didnt work.I remember javas use to stay open till 4am but this was cut back to round 9 or 10 pm max

maybe location was the problem

bigpink wrote: »
    Any more details on this?Proper coffee shop or a get in em at lunch time place
    maybe location was the problem

Javas was on Catherine street but only yards from the thomas street/little catherrine junction
    Captain jacks was thomas street new building there but across from the cornstone restaurant
    Cafe on the row is on bedford row

Surely these are great city centre locations?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Limerick_Lass

Anyone remember Banana Phoblacht (Apostasy) in Galway... was a great late night coffee shop with a little library, poetry readings, music and you could meet any type of character in there. closed now :mad:
    But something like this be super in Limerick.
    Maybe even a cafe and wine bar like Tribes in cork.

Anyone remember Banana Phoblacht (Apostasy) in Galway... was a great late night coffee shop with a little library, poetry readings, music and you could meet any type of character in there. closed now :mad:

When was that open in Galway?also why did it close down?

Was open for many years... I used to go there when I lived in Galway. Not sure why it closed.

I could be wrong but didn't Javas close because it was bought out so the site could be developed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭MissHoneyBun

Itsdacraic wrote: »
    "hang out" coffee shops are generally frequented by stoner/waster/eternal student types

Well seeing as we're making assumptions here, I'd say posts like yours are generally made by narrow-minded, billy-no-mates types.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,483 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

As a non-drinker, give me a coffee shop and some good conversation over a noisy, boozey pub any day.
    Not a stoner, not a waster, and my student days were well over a decade ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭MissHoneyBun

Mr E wrote: »
    As a non-drinker, give me a coffee shop and some good conversation over a noisy, boozey pub any day

Totally agree. But in this country, you're clearly some sort of social misfit if you don't spend your weekends falling around a pub with a pint in your hand :rolleyes:

must check out tribes where is it

Must tell my OH check out Tribes aswell,they are looking at a coffe shop idea in Limerick also just trying find ideas and investor/partner etc

• Advertisement

must check out tribes where is it

Do kilburn, its on Tuckey St in the city, they also have a website

Advertisement