Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starbucks??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,271 ✭✭✭source

Jambo221 wrote: »
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tea#Black_tea

For Green tea, yes, too hot and it will burn the leaves, either way, I'd use the word leaves very loosely as most people just use bags anyway, wouldn't break out a thermometer unless you're risking wasting loose leaf.

As far as I'm concerned, tea bags are to tea what instant is to coffee. In other words muck.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Builderfromhell

Going way off thread here guys.
    Isn't the Topic Starbucks in the market or something like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

ya and it wont happen !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭counterlock

kilburn wrote: »
    ya and it wont happen !

You seem adament kilburn? Do you know something we don't?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

I read in the post this week a little snippet that gloria jeans are looking for a vendor/place in Limerick so they could end up in the market? Was it rent that drove them out of the cresent? Would it be much cheaper in town?

tried to open one myself and they are not currently looking to open new stores. But they have entered into agreements with catering companies to open sub-starbucks in airports and colleges.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

tried to open one myself and they are not currently looking to open new stores. But they have entered into agreements with catering companies to open sub-starbucks in airports and colleges.

Are you going to push ahead and open your own cafe anyway?

Are you going to push ahead and open your own cafe anyway?

I am considering it, sourcing and roasting my own beans layout like the old Javas or Puccinis

I am considering it, sourcing and roasting my own beans layout like the old Javas or Puccinis

Sounds good, anyone remember biblio's down opposite Michael's Church?

Good luck with it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Icky Thump

old Javas didnt roast their own beans

• Registered Users Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

The only place I know that roasts its own beans is Pónaire in Annacotty and the Milk Market.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭jbkenn

Are you now?, good for you, have you considered how many cups of coffee you will have to sell every day just to pay the City Manager?, its called Commercial Rates, before you take Commercial Water Charges in to account, never mind Commercial waste disposal changes , it is determined by the City Council, it can be paid, for you convenience, twice yearly, in February and July. I personally estimate you will have to sell 32 coffee's a day to keep that little bollix happy, what do you estimate you will have to sell?, oh, by the way, we have yet to take the HSE Health Officer who will ensure you are HACCP compliant into account, and the Department of Enterprise, Trade and Innovation to ensure you are complying with all relevant Labour legislation, and the myriad of other State Clipboard carriers who will arrive on your door.

Best of luck with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Limerick_Lass

jbkenn wrote: »
    Are you now?, good for you, have you considered how many cups of coffee you will have to sell every day just to pay the City Manager?, its called Commercial Rates, before you take Commercial Water Charges in to account, never mind Commercial waste disposal changes , it is determined by the City Council, it can be paid, for you convenience, twice yearly, in February and July. I personally estimate you will have to sell 32 coffee's a day to keep that little bollix happy, what do you estimate you will have to sell?, oh, by the way, we have yet to take the HSE Health Officer who will ensure you are HACCP compliant into account, and the Department of Enterprise, Trade and Innovation to ensure you are complying with all relevant Labour legislation, and the myriad of other State Clipboard carriers who will arrive on your door.

Best of luck with it!

Ah dont be so negative, some of the above you mentioned aren't that important in your first years... if you keep focusing on the hurdles, you will never see the finish line.
    Best of luck with it Kilburn, hard work but wothwhile if you do decide to go down this route.

Ah dont be so negative, some of the above you mentioned aren't that important in your first years... if you keep focusing on the hurdles, you will never see the finish line.
    Best of luck with it Kilburn, hard work but wothwhile if you do decide to go down this route.

Negative?, no, just being realistic, like I say, best of luck with it, tell me Limerick_Lass,what experience have you dealing with "officialdom" in this country?.

Best of luck with it!

It's important to be realistic when you're setting out, but there's no point in being defeatist.

All the things you mention have to be considered, carefully, but are we really at a point where we don't want proper protection for employees or proper health and waste management standards?

Negative?, no, just being realistic, like I say, best of luck with it, tell me Limerick_Lass,what experience have you dealing with "officialdom" in this country?.

More than you think I do.

It's important to be realistic when you're setting out, but there's no point in being defeatist.

All the things you mention have to be considered, carefully, but are we really at a point where we don't want proper protection for employees or proper health and waste management standards?

I am not defeatist, on the contrary, I will never let those useless so and so's grind me down.

More than you think I do.

Am I wrong, in your experience, in what I outlined?

Am I wrong, in your experience, in what I outlined?

Everyone has different experiences, but usually these people are there to help you when starting off. But what bewilders me is your attempt to rush in and deflate someones dreams for no reason. As you put it above... the so and so's who try and grind you down! Arrogance is what I call it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

jbkenn has made some very valid points in fairness and while I am sure you didn't mean to discourage anyone from starting up their own business it is better to know these things in advance instead of enduring endless headaches down the line.

The amount of legislative bollox that is involved in running a business in this country is mind boggling. It is particularly difficult for small independent businesses who do not have the same resources as multi-nationals and other corporate chains. And yes - the regulations are frequently so off the wall you would be left scratching your head as to the lack of logic involved.

That said - the very best of luck kilburn, a java's type place is sorely missed in this city and I would rather see a place like that situated in the market area instead of starbucks. In fact if the city council had any cop on they would offer lower rates to independent businesses to encourage more of these outlets to open up and breathe life back into the city. Maybe then the place will regain its soul which has been so clearly diminished by the endless amount of UK chain stores that make the place no different from any other small city in the UK.

RonMexico wrote: »

That said - the very best of luck kilburn, a java's type place is sorely missed in this city and I would rather see a place like that situated in the market area instead of starbucks. In fact if the city council had any cop on they would offer lower rates to independent businesses to encourage more of these outlets to open up and breathe life back into the city. Maybe then the place will regain its soul which has been so clearly diminished by the endless amount of UK chain stores that make the place no different from any other small city in the UK.

I agree completely.

I would love to see Limerick City Council being ultra proactive and offering out sites for tender for cafes with no rates for say 3 three years provided certain conditions were met and a member of council staff on hand to walk the new owners through the legislative requirements.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Just saw yesterday the Cafe Noir have opened a new branch on the junction of O Connell St & Mallow St.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Starbucks could open in much better locations than the Milk Market

Off the top of my head:

Fergusons Chemist, O'Connell Street
    o2, O'Connell Street
    Barratts, Cruises Street
    Fuschia Queen, Thomas Street.

The list goes on.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭munstergirl

Limerick has so many coffee shops, too many maybe. I don't know how they are all staying in business.

And no where in limerick really stands out, that i'd be thinking can't wait to go back there.

I do like my starbucks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

Aidric wrote: »
    Just saw yesterday the Cafe Noir have opened a new branch on the junction of O Connell St & Mallow St.

Ya, that is open a few months I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

As pointed out above, Limerick has too many coffee shops. One of the reasons that business in this country is struggling is that the custom is spread out too much. We are swamped with grocery outlets, coffee shops, hotels, euro stores, phone stores etc etc. Limerick simply does not have the population to support all of these places. You might say that surely the weak stores will be forced out of business by stores with better prices. That doesn't appear to be happening as most places have more or less the same prices. Instead all of the above are struggling due to a diluted footfall.

Think back to Limerick circa 1995. We didn't have even half of the above stores. You might say that the population of the city has increased since then but really it hasn't increased enough to warrant the explosion of copycat businesses across the city. What Limerick needs is variety and more unique independent businesses. Not more copycat stores offering the exact same services as several other stores a stones throw away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Does anyone know where I can get Tazo Tea in Limerick?Its the one they stock in Starbucks and its yummy!

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭mags16

RonMexico wrote: »
    As pointed out above, Limerick has too many coffee shops.

But none of them are any good. And many aren't open at night or on Sunday mornings. I am a decaff girl and it is nigh on impossible to get a good one. The best decaff in Limerick is the one you get on the way out of Limerick, from the kiosk at the train station!

I remember when Imassa opened and everybody thought it was terribly fancy. I order a decaff and am offered "instant" :eek:.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

panda100 wrote: »
    Does anyone know where I can get Tazo Tea in Limerick?Its the one they stock in Starbucks and its yummy!

The fake starbucks in UL does tazo tea if i remember correctly, chai teas too. They are closed though until the new term starts.

Advertisement