Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starbucks??

Options
  • 26-07-2010 11:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭

Heard over weekend that those responsible for the newly opened Market are in negotiations to bring a Starbucks there. Now, While I've no problem with a starbucks in Limerick, surely this is the most horrible clash ever, sticking a multinational slap bang in the middle of our bustling local food and craft market. Especially since there is already a few cafes in the area.
    Also hearing stories of them no longer allowing buskers, or music outside the old cafe. Anyone heard similar? Seems like two initiatives which would rob the market of its fantastic local vibe.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Although the quality of Starbucks Coffee is not the best they do something very very well indeed.

Their in store products for take home use are very desirable and they market them very well.

Those products will fit very well in the Market.

Anything that energises the market to bring a good quality tenant like that is good news.(to me)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

zuroph wrote: »
    Heard over weekend that those responsible for the newly opened Market are in negotiations to bring a Starbucks there. Now, While I've no problem with a starbucks in Limerick, surely this is the most horrible clash ever, sticking a multinational slap bang in the middle of our bustling local food and craft market. Especially since there is already a few cafes in the area.
    Also hearing stories of them no longer allowing buskers, or music outside the old cafe. Anyone heard similar? Seems like two initiatives which would rob the market of its fantastic local vibe.

Yes ive heard these rumours too,surely an independent cafe should be in place not tacky starbucks.Yeah part of the old market was the music and some of the characters of other stalls not with in the square are they still allowed on the street?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

People could take home their coffee products from a starbucks in town. The market is no place for a corporate multinational. especially since there is already a coffee store in place there!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭Risteard

Surely a Starbucks would be a lot more high profile and attract more people to the area, possibly boosting trade in the market as opposed to an independently owned one?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭stevoslice

Risteard wrote: »
    Surely a Starbucks would be a lot more high profile and attract more people to the area, possibly boosting trade in the market as opposed to an independently owned one?

And why stop there, sure put a mcdonalds in there too, then why not a high street store, wouldn't that bring more customers down to the market... :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

as would a mcdonalds, a burger king, a marks and spencers, a tesco.... see where i'm going with this? Its a market, not a shopping centre.

EDIT: lol, see I was pipped to this..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭Risteard

Not really there's already a McDonald's, Burger King and Tesco in Limerick. Not an M&S but there's no Strabucks as far as I'm aware unless you count the one in UL.

I don't understand opposing a company just because they're a multi-national. Fair enough if you don't think a coffee shop is suitable to a market environment but in that case whether it's a locally owned one or not shouldn't make a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

especially since there is already a coffee store in place there!
    Exactly. No need for a second. Plenty more vacant units around town.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

I'd be surprised if they moved into the market to be honest. It's not terribly busy except for Saturday mornings, and from my experience abroad, Starbucks is placed as centrally as possible to get as much footfall as possible. I can't imagine enough people walking out there just to visit Starbucks (not that it's far, but there are other coffee shops around, closer to the city centre).

• Registered Users Posts: 51,202 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Starbucks is way overrated imo. I was in the one in one of the Microsoft offices in Dublin and their coffee was average at best unlike their prices. Don't see how something like this would fit in the Market to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Think it would depend where it was going to be situated? In the actual market or in the general "Market Quarter"? While I wouldn't be overly keen on it in the market itself, it could be a good addition to the streets around it.

If you place it anywhere in the city centre, OP, where would you place it? The Market Quarter seems as good a place as any, imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

I doubt very much Starbucks would open in the Market. They'll open in The Crescent or Cruises street,or somewhere much more central.

While I hate faceless corporations, I do admit Im a bit of a Starbucks fan. They don't usually shut till 10,you can stay there for hours on end and no one will clear away your drink and move you on.
    The Tazo tea's are yummy, and Caramel Frappucino's are to die for!
    Limerick really is crying out for a late night coffee shop, and unfortunately Starbucks is the only franchise that seems to be opened late hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭phill106

While i would welcome a starbucks in the city centre, I definitely agree that the market is not the place for it. A nice unit in cruises street would be good, maybe where that bank was on the corner? Ebs was it? Lot of foot fall there with the people coming off william street there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Lads forget bout starbucks for a while they aint opening any new stores for a while

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

panda100 wrote: »
    I doubt very much Starbucks would open in the Market. They'll open in The Crescent or Cruises street,or somewhere much more central.

While I hate faceless corporations, I do admit Im a bit of a Starbucks fan. They don't usually shut till 10,you can stay there for hours on end and no one will clear away your drink and move you on.
    The Tazo tea's are yummy, and Caramel Frappucino's are to die for!
    Limerick really is crying out for a late night coffee shop, and unfortunately Starbucks is the only franchise that seems to be opened late hours.

Limerick had late night coffee shops but they closed due to lack of business
    Javas use to be open late,the milk bar,captain jacks,cafe on the row use to be late aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 55,483 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I miss Javas....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭dave 27

HOW ABOUT..opening a cafe/bar/restraunt like captain americas in Dublin and actually utilise the place more than once a week??

this place serves lovely food during the day with a bar and at night people can have cocktails and pints etc, why not have a live band in the market too every saturday?

utilise this market quarter for fcuk sake like!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Icky Thump

starbucks would bring more customers to be fair. there are alot of morons out there that would go to the market just to go to starbucks and pretend to be cultured:D i miss the real coffee shops. no proper coffee shops left. although Amsterdam have the right idea:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭buttercupbee

I hope this is not true - their coffee is consistently freezing cold and I know as I have been in many an outlet, almost testing worldwide just to see if I get another cold cup...and I do.
    Horrendous operation. Its success baffles me but unsurprisingly there have been a few hundered closures across the globe of late :) happy out!

Icky Thump wrote: »
    although Amsterdam have the right idea:)

You are applying for Dutch nationality aren't you?
    As after November 2010 these coffee bars will be strictly accessible to natives only. Hope you like a digestive with your cuppa!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Icky Thump

You are applying for Dutch nationality aren't you?
    As after November 2010 these coffee bars will be strictly accessible to natives only. Hope you like a digestive with your cuppa!

hopefully they accept me by september/october :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭MissHoneyBun

Yeah I get all the not supporting big multi-nationals etc. but who gives a rats ass when you're about to get stuck into a tall frothy caramel frappucino?! In fact, I couldn't have made this post if it weren't for coffee :pac:

Yeah I get all the not supporting big multi-nationals etc. but who gives a rats ass when you're about to get stuck into a tall frothy caramel frappucino?! In fact, I couldn't have made this post if it weren't for coffee :pac:

So long as it's a hot one!

Damn Gloria Jeans are guilty of cold coffee too.
    But when it comes to their ACTUAL cold coffee (mochachillo and so on) what they actually did was make the coffee WITH COLD WATER THEN STUCK A LOAD OF ICE CUBES IN!!! I was WTF?!
    Didn't even blend them! The dirty looks I got when I asked to blend them!
    Was just as bad. Then I went and asked for fluffed cream to be added to the watery stew and was charged an extra 30c!
    Couldn't drink, was vile.
    Got my refund after being made to wait while she served 5 other people who came along after me, threw the change at me so I called her an
    f-in pig and 2 of the customers walked out with me, one told her shove it when she went to serve.
    This was in Cork.

Actually BOILING now I think back. Unlike their f-in coffee.
    Read somewhere G Jeans are looking for a new franchisee in Limerick...
    Good luck with that!

Coffee isnt meant to be very hot at all

Coffee isnt meant to be very hot at all

That's the "Irish Mothers" fault. Everything must be boiling. My MIL would hear the kettle click and finish up the last 30 seconds of a conversation then go out and put the kettle back on to heat back up those 30 second down times.

Crazy.

Coffee and Tea should be drinable. You should never have to wait for a drink to cool down unless your mouth is made of asbestos.

Coffee especially, the amount of threads I've seen complaining that "brown thomas sold me a dud cofee maker, it won't even boil the water!" is very frustrating.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Jambo221

Berty wrote: »
    That's the "Irish Mothers" fault. Everything must be boiling. My MIL would hear the kettle click and finish up the last 30 seconds of a conversation then go out and put the kettle back on to heat back up those 30 second down times.

Crazy.

Coffee and Tea should be drinable. You should never have to wait for a drink to cool down unless your mouth is made of asbestos.
    I'd do the same, tea needs to be close to the boiling point to brew properly, I drink it black too, so to me letting it cool is just all part of the ritual.
    Coffee only needs a rolling boil, but the though of an iced coffee being made with cold water makes me sick.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,271 ✭✭✭source

Jambo221 wrote: »
    I'd do the same, tea needs to be close to the boiling point to brew properly, I drink it black too, so to me letting it cool is just all part of the ritual.
    Coffee only needs a rolling boil, but the though of an iced coffee being made with cold water makes me sick.

No it shouldn't water in tea needs to be hot, not boiling or close to it.....if the water is too hot it burns the leaves and gives the tea a crap taste. The best cup of tea is got about a minute after the kettle boils.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Jambo221

foinse wrote: »
    No it shouldn't water in tea needs to be hot, not boiling or close to it.....if the water is too hot it burns the leaves and gives the tea a crap taste. The best cup of tea is got about a minute after the kettle boils.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tea#Black_tea

For Green tea, yes, too hot and it will burn the leaves, either way, I'd use the word leaves very loosely as most people just use bags anyway, wouldn't break out a thermometer unless you're risking wasting loose leaf.

• Advertisement

I just tested the temperature of water against loose leaf.(feck it, slow bank holiday Friday afternoon) I have loads of Loose Leaf Samples in the boot of my car. :D

You can smell the burnt leaves. The actual tea was a peppermint tea but the overriding smell was of burnt leaves.

If you are using 100% Tea(traditional tea bags), and not Lyons and Barrys where they have darkening agents, then you are ok. The likes of Barrys and Lyons have those darkening chemicals/agents which will give you a burnt aroma.

How to know what you have? Rip open a bag of tea and rub the tea in the palm of your hand. If it leaves a stain then it has a darkening agent and therefore could burn.

Advertisement