Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I'm typing this through gritted teeth.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 813 ✭✭✭wiger toods

Mackman wrote: »
    Well done Daisy, irish_star and catthinkin. Its the best thing you'll ever do.

Daisy, i would be of the mind that you should tell EVERYONE that you're giving up. The more people that know the better. The dissapointment of all those people if you go back on the fags will help you stay off them.
    Every little helps. I didnt want to tell people in case i failed, but i forced myself to tell everyone.

It sounds like you're having a much worse time than me, but stick with it!
    this is very good advice! when they see your smoking again(well in your case, lets hope you beat the fags, and whether its family or close friends who actualy care about your health) its a kind of "im not mad at you, just disappointed " moment. really gets under the skin! its what got me to quit, nothing else really worked, but that got me. good luck mr benson.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Daisy Steiner

oeb wrote: »
    Just hit week 8 (I think) myself, this time next week it will be two months. How do you find it in general? I find that most of the cravings have stopped now, the only time I really get it bad is when really stressed, but that's more wanting to smoke out of spite than anything else I think =) Like you said, just to feel bad about it. The shower and the car troubles suck, but life still has some good points. You have a few hundred euro extra to put towords repairs thanks to not smoking, and you can probably skip a shower for a day because you don't stink of fags. :P

Yep, I know you're right :) I was seriously sorry for myself yesterday but I have bounced back again today.

In general I am still ridiculously proud of myself, I hope to be starting second year in college next monday and am looking forward to joining the gym there. That's something I couldn't do last year due to smoking like a chimney and being broke (but still able to spend on cigs :rolleyes:)

Overall it's the greatest decision I've ever made, I feel empowered and enriched and healthy and fragrant. :pac:

I rock, you rock and to anyone reading this who wants to quit; you too shall rock it!

I'm looking at you sarahmeen22 :)
    sarahmeen22 Well done i really hope you stay off them!!i really need to give up but find it hard and i get really cranky when i dont smoke but il have to get over that and think about my health and the money il save best of luck with it i hope u stay off themtongue.gif

A bit of crankiness never hurt anyone, just ask Oscar the Grouch, he made a career out of it!

Seriously though, get your head on straight, realise (and I mean really really) realise what a gross/stinky/fatal/waste/addiction it is. Nicotine is an insidious bastard but the sense of achievement you will feel when you kick its arse makes the cranky moments worth it. Never having to stop and catch your breath while others leave you behind, never causing other people discomfort with your smoke blowing in the wind.

I could go on and on but I'll leave it there, I promise it's in you to do it, you just have to want it, in order to want it you must be informed about the extent of the damage this habit does to your body, go and get educated and then drop the ciggie habit forever!

:( Was very ill last night, managed to pick up a vomiting bug, was only able to nap for 20 minutes at a time and during one of those naps I dreamt that I smoked a fag and just as I put it out I realised I was off them and I felt so so awful!

It took a while after waking up to realise that it was just a dream.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭dolliemix

I haven't had a smoking dream yet but I guess it will happen when I'm stressed.

Hope you feel better soon! :)

Craving like a cravey craver from cravesville right now. Help!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭NavanEPS

Craving like a cravey craver from cravesville right now. Help!
    I just love that ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭anigheh

to all u guys who are finding it tough going right now, hang in there it does get easier stay strong and remind ur self why u are doing this........ Am 5 years down that road and it does get easier
    Gina

• Registered Users Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭dolliemix

come on Daisy! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭Ticktactoe

:( Was very ill last night, managed to pick up a vomiting bug, was only able to nap for 20 minutes at a time and during one of those naps I dreamt that I smoked a fag and just as I put it out I realised I was off them and I felt so so awful!

It took a while after waking up to realise that it was just a dream.

Ive had those dreams and variatons of them. The guilt is amazing but the best part is when you wake up and you realise that it was a dream and your still off them!

Tonight I am GUMMING for what I can only assume is a cigarette.

Weird feeling like this after doing so well for so long.

My jaws are clenched and my lungs are uneasy.

On the bright side I'm joining a gym tomorrow so the thought of that is keeping me going.

Damn sneaky nicotine. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Mackman

Well ya cant give in now. Imagine having to go through all that again!

Good luck in the gym!
    Ive been going mad with the physical activity lately. Its tough work training for a triathlon

Ooh triathalon nice!

I'm hoping to shift a few pounds and improve my mental happiness, by all accounts the gym is a good place to do this :D.

I'm also gonna buy a bike as my 6-year-old nephew is now well able to cycle so we've loads of adventures planned.

Gah just wish this feeling would uck off out of my face!

Hopefully I'll be way happier when I wake up tomorrow.

Everything always feels better in the morning. Problems magnify by like 100 at night time. I wonder why that is :confused:

Probably summat to do with the dark?

I know what you mean though, I've loads planned for tomorrow so I bet these feelings will have passed, hope so anyway!

Gonna head to bed now I think, just wish I could get my jaws to relax :(

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭pavcro10

Wish you the best Daisy

pavcro10 wrote: »
    Wish you the best Daisy

Thank you,

That means a lot :)

G'night world!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Keep it up girl, it's hard but worth it. I've given up today 2 weeks ago, and finding it easier this time than the last (over 2 years ago). The cravings are unreal though.

Thanks for the support everyone, feel a lot more normal this morning!

Mad how the cravings kinda sneak up on you, even after almost 8 weeks!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

Hey just came across this. I guess everyone is different, but i quit two years ago and i had a huge craving last night after a meal. Sorted it with water and thoughts of the holidays that i have enjoyed that i couldnt have paid for without the fag money, the fact that i did the tour de picnic (90km cycle) which would have killed me, and the fact that i have since started going out with a beautiful girl who is v anti smoking.

I guess my advice is this, it is never easy, but remember this is the best decision you will ever make in your life.

Good luck all

This has definitely made me smile this evening. Everybody now!

• Advertisement

Meant to update this last weekend but had a ragin' hangover :o.

Got properly "out in the pub" drunk last Saturday and . . . (drum roll please) didn't even consider smoking. Woke up the next day delighted with myself.

Yet another milestone reached. Roll on the end of next week when I'll be in double figures (weeek 10)

Notice a lot of clearing lungs wise this week and yes, while it's gross and tastes bad I know it's a very good thing so bring it on!

To those who are further down the road than me, am I out of the woods? I honestly think I might be! I've successfully eradicated them from my life and only rarely think about them.

I bought myself a bike today \o/

:)

You're flyin!! Well done on not smoking while boozin! its the biggest hurdle.

I dont think smokers are ever fully out of the woods, but you can be almost there. Just have to be vigilant.
    I cant remember how long im off them, around 13/14 weeks or something. I dont even think about them anymore. Only when i see someone smoking.

I bought a bike yesterday too!! no turning back now Daisy!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

I agree you're never out of the woods. I'm off them 8 months now and about two weeks ago was the worst few days I remember.
    It probably effects people in different ways but I'll always consider myself a non-smoking smoker!

Ah yeah, I know I'll always be a non-smoking smoker :) but as usual I wasn't very clear! I REALLY meant: Is that the end of the rage and bungee-jumping emotions or is that part and parcel of having been a smoker in the first place?

Hopefully not, I feel so good this week , except whenever I leave a building in college, there are loads of people blowing smoke in my face :mad:.

When I was a smoker I tried to stay away from places like that and knew it was bad form to smoke in doorways/at bus shelters etc.

Wish they'd make the campus non-smoking :pac:.

Finally made it to the dentist this morning and as predicted she was thrilled that I gave up the smokes. :)

She had a good root around in my mouth and said that she could see a difference in the colour of the inside of my cheeks :eek: I wasn't aware that the insides of my cheeks were the wrong colour! She said that the inside of smoker's cheeks are usually kinda white from being subject to such punishment from the smoke etc . . . gross!

Need a couple of little jobs done, then she's going to scrub my teeth all the way down to root level, she did a small clean today but then decided that she was gonna numb me up and clean the bejaysus out of them. So that's happening next week, can't wait! Not a massive fan of the dentist in general but my one is awesome and I never mind going to see her. She spends loads of time explaining everything and doesn't just dive in.

It was lovely to bask in her approval about the smoking as well, woo!

Met one of my mates there a few days ago, she told me her bf had given up as well, I was thrilled . . . . until she said: "yeah, he's only smoking one or two a day now" :confused: . . . eh, that's not giving up honey!

67 days today. I must say that the smell of cigarettes is getting worse and worse for me. I can now smell a smoker a mile off and it is rank!

I'm actually requesting a tutorial change because the bang of fags off the tutor is so vile.

I'm so glad to be off them, even though the cravings still sneak up on me the habit is most definitely broken. \0/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Well done!

I've just had two lots of bad news. A double-whammy if you will. I can't stop thinking about smoking. I am disgusted, after all my hard work, the only thing I can think of that would make me feel something other than sad is having a smoke. :(

I hope this passes.

I've just had two lots of bad news. A double-whammy if you will. I can't stop thinking about smoking. I am disgusted, after all my hard work, the only thing I can think of that would make me feel something other than sad is having a smoke. :(

I hope this passes.

It will, having a smoke wont be any help to you. it wont fix your problems. and it wont make you feel better. its just a habit that when you get bad news you used to have a smoke. but you dont do that anymore :)

I hope eveything works out!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

I hope you didn't give in.

Do you want to share your bad news with us? Maybe we can help or maybe sharing it might help a little?

Even if you dont want to put it on here, you can PM me to talk about it.

Surely there is something else you can do to cheer you up? Of the money you have saved from not smoking, is there nothing else that would give you some satisfaction, or cheer you up? Anything at all to take your mind off it.

We are here for you, dont feel alone!

Advertisement