Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I'm typing this through gritted teeth.

Options
  • 26-07-2010 2:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 751 ✭✭✭

12 of 72.

Hi everyone,

I've decided to stop smoking. Had my last smoke at 3am this morning (26/07/10).

Knew I was going to do it so not a spur of the moment decision, was conscious that it was my last smoke.

I've read some threads here so am prepared for a hellish 72 hours.

I'm 31, probably smoking half my life. I've thought about giving up before but this time feels right.

Coming up on 12 hrs without a smoke now, kinda tragic I guess to be posting here but hey, I need some support. I don't want to announce it to anyone in rl just yet. My n/s friends will put too much emphasis on it and my smoking friends won't be too happy I reckon!

So, I'm aware of weight gain during this process but hoping it won't happen to me. I'm in the process of losing weight at the moment, I've made some drastic changes to my eating and exercising habits so hope I can continue with them without stuffing my face.

Jaysus the cravings are tough though!

My plan to avoid succumbing involve:
    • Water.
    • Apples.
    • Going for a walk.
    • Singing a song :o.
    • Jobs around the house.
    • Posting on boards :pac:.
    • Trying not to meet any of my smoking friends until the dreaded 72 hours are over.
    Every now and then I notice that my mouth and jaw are all tensed up and I have to make an effort to relax.

Also, my chest/lungs feel weird, It's almost as if my lungs are thirsty and a cigarette would quench that thirst. I know if I had a cig now though I would feel like utter ****e.

If anyone else has any tips please feel free to post.

Wish me luck and joy folks, it's gonna be a toughie!

Heading for a swim now.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 irish_star

Well done you!!!! I want sooooo bad to give up smoking,looking at this thread, thats it!! I am going to have my last fag at midnight tonight!! maybe we could encourage each other, Keep up the good work xxx

Woops I got so excited about my decision to stop, I forgot to add waight gain is a problem to most people giving up the dreaded fags, by the sounds of it you are going the proper way about it, Just don't eat junk and lots of exercise, I am going to walk every time the craving gets bad.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭judas1369

Yeah ,been there and its pretty tough the first couple of days, but it will get easier... honest!
    Have you tried this website-

http://www.stopsmoking.ie/index.php

There is a quit meter on it which may give you an added incentive.
    At the bottom of the page is "crave buster" which you may feel a bit daft doing especially if people are watching! But strange as it may sound it actually works!
    Anyway you have come to a good place for support.
    Good luck with your quit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Daisy Steiner

Wow, thanks for the swift replies!
    irish_star wrote: »
    Well done you!!!! I want sooooo bad to give up smoking,looking at this thread, thats it!! I am going to have my last fag at midnight tonight!! maybe we could encourage each other, Keep up the good work xxx

Just do it. You know you want to and you definitely can!

judas1369 wrote: »
    Yeah ,been there and its pretty tough the first couple of days, but it will get easier... honest!
    Have you tried this website-

http://www.stopsmoking.ie/index.php

There is a quit meter on it which may give you an added incentive.
    At the bottom of the page is "crave buster" which you may feel a bit daft doing especially if people are watching! But strange as it may sound it actually works!
    Anyway you have come to a good place for support.
    Good luck with your quit.

Just had a look there, pretty funny stuff but I can see how it would be effective.

Went for a swim with my two nephews, had two goes in the steam room as well.

My GOD! the craving when I hit the fresh air after. Got over it though!

Home now cooking din dins, 2 pieces of fish with spinach and soya beans.

Drinking tea and water when I feel I need to do something with my mouth!

Heading for a nice long walk before dark then when the shops/pubs are closed I can relax! :)

Having worst craving so far, right now!

Struggled to finish my dinner which is good as I was afraid I'd eat for Ireland.

As soon as I'd put my fork down I was nearly knocked over by the longing for a smoke.

I feel like I'm being stretched out in all directions and my addiction is trying to convince me that a smoke will make that feeling go away.

Taking deep breaths and trying to focus on other stuff . . . like typing!

Putting on my runners and going walking, I need to get out of the house.

I can actually see myself going into the shop and asking for 20 camel lights, ripping them open, lighting one . . . .

And feeling like ****e because that's what cigs do to you, try and convince you that you need them.

NOT ANY MORE.

• Advertisement

Keep the faith Daisy You are doing great.:) My dad used to soak celery in water and keep it in the fridge, Crispy and cold to chew on, It helped him big time, He was 60 to 80 a day for 50 years (I kid you not) he is off fags 3 years now.
    You can do it, YOU WILLLLLLL xxxxx

Thanks irish star.

Just went for a very brisk walk. There was a good bit of clenching of my fists and deep breaths going on, but after the first mile or so I noticed that I wasn't aware of my breathing at all, no wheezes, no surreptitiously slowing down because my heart is racing.

:eek:

That much improvement after not even 24 hours? Dunno, but I have to say I really really enjoyed it. Over 3 miles didn't knock a bother out of me.

Going to watch some tv now with a nice cup of tea, then into bed and hope I'm not staring at the ceiling all night! I should sleep in fairness, An hour and a half horsing around a swimming pool with a 4 year old and a 6 year old, then a 3 miles+ walk.

Savage.

:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭kildare75

Congrats on making one of the hardest decisions of your life!

Im 6 months off the cigs and it really was the hardest yet best decision i ever made to quit the cigs.

I smoked 20 cigs a day for 15 years until 26th of jan 2010.

Just decided that day that id had enough of wasting my money,coughing in morning,smelling like an ashtray,leaving a warm pub to stand outside smoking,not having the energy to go for a run or walk. etc...

Sure i still get the odd craving(first few pints were murder),but hand on heart they do ease over time,and only last a few seconds anyways!

Stick with it .........:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭catthinkin

joining this as given up too !! as of tonight hate the morning fag yuk but still smoke whats the point ??

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭kildare75

i found breaking the routine of when i had a cig during the day helped me,in terms of not having a cup of tea, at say 10am,and going for a wee walk instead,although i did find myself doing crosswords at the start just to give me something else to do instead of smoking with a cup of tea...

• Advertisement

Thanks guys,

Haven't found the last couple of hours to be too bad at all. Heading to bed now and all systems go for the morning.

I know it's only my first day but to be honest, I'm dead proud of myself, I've never gone a full day without smoking since I started the vile habit!

I know the morning is going to be tough but just gonna do what I did this am, shove a bowl of porridge into my face then get out of the house for an hour or so. You're dead right kildare75 it's all about the habits ain't it? Very well done by the way, you must be very happy to be off them so long.

Off I go to me bed, will post again tomorrow. x x.

catthinkin wrote: »
    joining this as given up too !! as of tonight hate the morning fag yuk but still smoke whats the point ??

Yeah that's what I did, had my last smoke at 3 am, then bed so when I got up this morning I was already 7/8 hours into giving up!

Hope you are successful.

catthinkin wrote: »
    Best of luck to you catthinkin, I had my last fag 30 m inits ago! I am off to bed
    with a positive mind lol I hope I can keep it up, Let us know how you are getting on.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Mackman

Well done Daisy, irish_star and catthinkin. Its the best thing you'll ever do.

Daisy, i would be of the mind that you should tell EVERYONE that you're giving up. The more people that know the better. The dissapointment of all those people if you go back on the fags will help you stay off them.
    Every little helps. I didnt want to tell people in case i failed, but i forced myself to tell everyone.

It sounds like you're having a much worse time than me, but stick with it!

Well, it took me a while to sleep last night, It was kinda weird I didn't feel wired or anything just constantly on the brink of sleep but unable to drop off.

Woke around 9 this morning, got up and had porridge and tea. Lay back into bed and dozed until 12.

The craving isn't too bad today so far. Going to go for a walk soon then get stuck into the studies!

Thanks for your words Mackman. I'll definitely be shouting it from the roof-tops once I've done the 72 hours. I told my sis-in-law yesterday and she was glad I'm giving it a go.

I have never in my life (since 14ish) gone this long without a smoke.

My chest feels a small bit funny today, should I be expecting a chesty special? I realise that all the gunk has to come out, any idea when that process will start?

Thanks everyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭NavanEPS

Re: Gunk
    I am off them 22 Days and haven't got rid of any yet..... not sure what is going on.

Well done you are doing great!

During my last attempt to give up smoking, I was off them a long time, I never got any gunk up at all, I just put on 3 stone lol (if it did not move I eat it).
    I am not going to eat this time ,Just exercise for me.
    By the way I have not had a fag for almost 15 hours, No withdrawal yet !
    Well done to all you nicotine free people, Keep it up Daisy Your Brill.

Too funny! I met a friend while I was out batin' the roads :). Told him I'd given up and how happy I was to have done it.

He started telling me all these excuses as to why he still smokes, I wasn't impressed with even one of his excuses. Think I may have annoyed him a bit by smiling and nodding and quietly reiterating that it's my decision and that I don't expect everyone else to stop just cos I have.

I feel great now. Just about to have lunch, no craving for sweets yet, the nicotine craving is fairly constant yet manageable, it spikes every few hours but I just stick on the kettle and have tea while I wait for it to recede.

Must do a few hours study now. Will check back in later.

Ok everyone,

I just had my first brush with frustration. I couldn't find the charger for my mp3 player, I knew I had it only a couple of days ago.

So I start to look for it . . . and look for it and start tearing through boxes, ripping the cushions off the couch and armchairs. Searching in places I know it couldn't be.

Getting more and more irritable, almost ripped a cushion in half! Was trying to calm myself by thinking: it's ok, it has to be here, it's all ok. BUT IT WASN'T OK COS I WAS SO WOUND UP.

Had to take loads of deep breaths and finally felt the craving dissipate.

Found the charger eventually and I realised then that the anger had nothing to do with the mis-placed charger and far more to do with the sneaky nicotine that had almost fooled me!

Anyone else here feel the rage during withdrawals? I thought I'd be able to cope with it and recognise it but it was on me before I copped it was happening!

Kinda freaked out right now, was over in my mam and dad's gaff, had a cup of tea and a chat.

Walked home, it's only a 5 minute walk. Next thing I'm vomiting? Thankfully there was only tea to come up so it didn't take too long.

Such an unexpected thing to happen. Can only assume that it's withdrawal's as I've been feeling fine all day and am fine again now.

Oh, and guess what? One of my triggers appears to be . . . vomiting :mad: yes, as soon as I'd stopped all I wanted was a cigarette.

Before I went out walking I had a serious crave, wanted to go and buy rollies "cos they're not real fags" :rolleyes: it's mad how vividly you can see yourself go and throw all that effort down the drain, I learned today that I am stronger than that!

Kinda dreading tomorrow though, the less nicotine in my system the stronger the cravings get.

Wish me luck.

• Advertisement

Anyone else here feel the rage during withdrawals?

yeah i had a couple of those. I just got really irritated over the tinyest things, and it just grew and grew. But i managed to get through it. and apologise to the OH :o

That nicotine is evil. It tricks you into thinking that a fag will calm you donw, when it doesnt at all. what calms you donw is taking 5 minutes to sit and relax.

Slept well-ish last night, woke once or twice but am up nice and early again today.

Feeling good this morning and noticing more and more improvement in my breathing and sense of taste.

Just had brekkie and going to get stuck into some studying.

Can't wait to wake up tomorrow knowing I'm over 3 days free!

Having a wee break from studying, really haven't felt the urge too strongly at all today.

Went for a lovely walk with no complaints from my heart and lungs.

The gas thing is that I can smell fags from a mile away :) was walking along when I caught the stench . . . stayed walking for another few minutes until I got to a cottage with its door open, the bang of cigarettes was unreal, and I smelt it from way back.

It didn't make me want one, in fact it was the opposite, I could feel my stomach churning and I realised what an absolutely rotten smell it is.

I'm washing every stitch of clothes that I have while I'm working away with the study.

Think I'm gonna splash for a proper car valet too with the money I'm saving.

Gonna throw a tenner in a jar every 2 days and treat myself when my exam is over.

Woop woop!

I cleared my throat earlier and got more than I bargained for :eek:.

Still . . . better to have an empty house than a bad tenant as my dear daddy always says.

Had a momma of a crave earlier, decided to clean out the car and hoover it while waiting for it to pass, Guess what I found under the passenger seat?

Yep, a box with 5 coffin-nails in it.

Had a moment of wavering then snapped out of it.

Go me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭NavanEPS

Go Daisy - I am delighted for you 'cause that is tough!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭oeb

You are doing great Daisy! And don't worry about the rages, I get them myself too (Although thankfully always when I am by myself =))

Thanks guys, am very glad that I live alone! Not sure if I could cope with anyone annoying me :)

I hope these are the worst of the cravings and that it gets easier after this, wrecked tired, can't wait to go to bed.

Will be telling more people about the quit tomorrow, so far I've only told my friend who's a non-smoker, my sis-i-law n-s also, another friend who smokes and really didn't want to hear it and I mentioned it online to another mate who smokes but lives really far away from me.

Am actually nervous about telling my ma as it's something she's wanted me to do for ages and ages. I know she'll be thrilled but it will be stressful once she knows. No going back then!

Off to my leaba now, had a big crave that lasted about twenty minutes an hour or so ago but feel great now. (apart from the oncoming chesty special that I just know is in the post)

Will be off them 72 hrs at 3am. That's my first milestone done.

Gonna take it week by week after that I reckon. Must try and get out for a few pints this weekend and get that out of the way too.

Must try and get out for a few pints this weekend and get that out of the way too.

Definatly do this. It will only build up in your head if you dont.
    Once you get through the first night of boozing, you will realize that you can have just as good a time without the fags.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭MakaDonVeli

Today is going to be hard for you, 3rd day is the killer.

You'll be in a bad mood, everything will annoy you and you'll just want to sit in a room on your own all day.

Advertisement