Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I'm typing this through gritted teeth.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,408 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Keep at it OP. I'm off them six months and still crave them but am delighted not to be smoking. I used spend €3,000 + a year on smokes. I'd agree with an earlier poster and tell everyone you know cos it makes it harder to let them all down.
    If you drink it's much harder. I find it toughest the day after a session. Dunno why.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Daisy Steiner

And I feel good. Everyday it gets easier to break the habit. Everyday I can walk faster, breathe easier and smell better.

My next two major milestones will be: 1. A few pints and 2. meeting smoker friends.

Hopefully heading to the cinema later to see Toy Story 3, with 9 kids (none of which are mine :p)

May just tell the rest of my family today as well.

Can I just say; to anyone reading this who is still smoking, get your head on straight before you attempt this. I know it took me a long time to prepare myself but as soon as I was ready it felt right and honestly, a lot of will power is required but it's totally worth it.

The thoughts of letting nicotine run my body again is awful, even now on Day 4 the thoughts of lighting a cigarette makes me feel nauseous.

Long may it last.

Just told my mam and started bawling as I was telling her :pac: am definitely still feeling the emotional effects of withdrawal although apart from that I feel tip-top!

Tried a run today but had to stop for several reasons although madly enough lungs/breathing wasn't a problem. More along the lines of needing better shoes and a decent sports bra!

Can't wait for Monday now when I'll be off 'em a week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭NavanEPS

Hi Daisy - I cried too! it seemed pathetic at the time but good for the soul to get it out.
    Off them over 3 weeks and have only cried once. Must be a girlie thing ;)

NavanEPS wrote: »
    Hi Daisy - I cried too! it seemed pathetic at the time but good for the soul to get it out.
    Off them over 3 weeks and have only cried once. Must be a girlie thing ;)

Ha! Pretty sure my ma thought I was gonna drop the preg-bomb 'cos when I started to tell her I was like: "I've something to tell you and I'm going to need your support . . . " Then I started bawling :pac::pac::pac:

Hilarious!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭MakaDonVeli

'Sports bra' omnomnomnom :P

Well done anyways, 3rd day is normally the hardest.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭tommylimerick

well done to all of ye that are quitting smoking
    i am off them 12 days now have been using nicorette
    inhaler when ever i get a craving and find it really good
    one step at a time

Did loads of exercise today, am happy with the way things went, had a few glasses of wine sitting in a garden with two smokers. Didn't even bother me. I would say that being outside was key :p. Still though, really thought I'd feel way more of a pang as I'm a divil for fags when imbibing.

Ya live and learn.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Sea Sharp

Well done Daisy, you're an inspiration.

I'm planning for Saturday, Sunday and Monday to be my three days in hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭judas1369

GaNjaHaN wrote: »
    Well done Daisy, you're an inspiration.

I'm planning for Saturday, Sunday and Monday to be my three days in hell.
    Best of luck! Just make sure you have a variety of distractions to hand, fruit, gum, water or whatever, even just a walk.
    Its different for everyone so keep us posted, support is there if you need it!

• Advertisement

So, I'm a week off the cigs and I feel brilliant. The last couple of days have been absolutely fine. Long may it last!

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭judas1369

Thats great! stay with it, it really does get easier!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Well done keep up the good work. Im trying to kick the habit myself at the moment , but finding it very difficult , mainly due to the fact that im surrounded by smokers both at work and at home.

Macros42 wrote: »

One other bit she mentioned which is now a goal. While nicotine takes three days to leave the body habits take 28 days to break. That's the new goal. Day by day to Day 28.

I've just been reading Mac's quit log. I found this quote to be very much food for thought.

I'm doing ridiculously well with the big quit. I'm clean 11 days now and my last conscious craving was last week!

However; after reading the above my guard is very much up again. Another 17 days to wait before the habit is broken :eek:.

One last thing; (I have my own theory but would love to hear your thoughts) Why are non-smokers/successful ex-smokers really supportive of someone quitting, and current smokers really aren't?

I've come across some fairly eye-opening attitudes in the last few days, it makes me a bit sad to be honest. I've been offered more cigarettes then you can shake a stick at, it really is increasingly easy to say no and to mean no though so yay (and two fingered salute to the rest of ye).

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭tazdustdevil

Hey well done Daisy! and all others on here.

Me and my bf quit in mid May- so we are nearly at 3 months.

THis time we used nicquitin cQ patches (off them 3 weeks now) and i occasionally used the inhaler on nights out and stressful days in work....

I think reason smokers dont encourage you is cause they are so afraid of being the only smoker left and you remind them that it is possible to give up= goes against all the nicotine monster thinking...

Definetely, minimise being exposed to smoke. BF nearly had a breakdown after exposure in a beer garden the other night....

Oh god, I was in a very stressful situation for three hours today and to my mortification I was like a bag of cats :mad:

It got to the point where I was almost in tears and very close to telling some one to go away and fork off for themselves, suddenly realised that I would have had about four cigs smoked at this stage had I still been a smoker.

As soon as I had that thought; the black mood started to lift but I would have given anything to smoke loads of cigarettes.

At home now, drinking tea like a mad thing, about to have dinner and then need a big massive walk. :(

Today has been an awful day. I'm still an ex-smoker but I really really want one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭catthinkin

Oh god, I was in a very stressful situation for three hours today and to my mortification I was like a bag of cats :mad:

It got to the point where I was almost in tears and very close to telling some one to go away and fork off for themselves, suddenly realised that I would have had about four cigs smoked at this stage had I still been a smoker.

As soon as I had that thought; the black mood started to lift but I would have given anything to smoke loads of cigarettes.

At home now, drinking tea like a mad thing, about to have dinner and then need a big massive walk. :(

Today has been an awful day. I'm still an ex-smoker but I really really want one.
    keep strong !! you have made it this far!!!

:( thanks. Today is the first day that I wasn't glad to be off them. I'm glad that I didn't end up smoking cigarettes but am hoping that evil mood doesn't ever come back as strong as that again.

I'm wrecked and sad and heading to bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭dolliemix

Hi Daisy. Just reading through your thread and you're amazing! I was where you are now seven months ago and I'm still off them. Stay strong and just take one day at a time. You will get plenty of cravings but they become less and less as time goes on. I did the C25k running program. It filled a void, I got fitter and I lost weight. Reading this thread reminds me of how hard it is at the beginning. You're doing so well. Keep it up :)

And all the other quitters reading though this thread - Congrats everyone!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 pambelina

One last thing; (I have my own theory but would love to hear your thoughts) Why are non-smokers/successful ex-smokers really supportive of someone quitting, and current smokers really aren't?

I've come across some fairly eye-opening attitudes in the last few days, it makes me a bit sad to be honest. I've been offered more cigarettes then you can shake a stick at, it really is increasingly easy to say no and to mean no though so yay (and two fingered salute to the rest of ye).

If I am 100% honest, when I was was a smoker and someone around me was giving up, I would give the obligatory "well done, fair play to ya" but in the back of my mind I was so delighted that it wasn't me giving up and convince myself that they must be so envious of me smoking. I do find it tough when I phone someone and I hear them smoke on the other end, as its the initial hit or inhale that I miss, so to hear everyone from the other person is hard. We just have to remind ourselves why we gave up. As time goes on though, you will begin to inspire others to give up. My friends are amazed at me, as I am the, " if she can do it, anyone can" person. Though none of them have quit yet, it is cool to hear how impressed they are by me, and now it's genuine.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the replies guys . . . I really needed to hear them. Feel way better today, I haven't smoked a cigarette in two weeks!

Am kinda runny today though, think the inevitable gunk is starting to get a move on. I'm not looking forward to this bit but will be over the moon to get rid of it.

Still clean and delighted with myself :)

Have thought about the "just one" scenario but the thoughts of actually having a cig is making my tummy churn so long may it last!

The only negative part to quitting for me (apart from the unsupportive peers) is the fact that my concentration seems to be shot to shi' and I have a mucho important exam in two weeks time.

I really hope I get my brain back soon :(

By the way, for anyone reading this who is using fear of weight gain as an excuse to keep smoking: I have lost almost a stone since quitting. There is absolutely no reason to substitute cigs with food! I am walking the roads and drinking tea and water during the (ever decreasing) craves. I haven't eaten crisps/chocolate/chipper since the quit and I feel grrrrrrreeeeeaaaaat.

TonyTiger.gif

Good to hear! Well done you! :) And the weight loss.....Fantastic.

That should help people who are afraid to give up because they're afraid they'll put on weight. It's not inevitable. I reckoned while my sense of discipline and will power was at an all time high giving up the cigs I'd give up eating crap as well. Over 2 stone less non smoker seven months later!

dolliemix wrote: »
    Good to hear! Well done you! :) And the weight loss.....Fantastic.

That should help people who are afraid to give up because they're afraid they'll put on weight. It's not inevitable. I reckoned while my sense of discipline and will power was at an all time high giving up the cigs I'd give up eating crap as well. Over 2 stone less non smoker seven months later!

Yep, I gave up cigs, sweets, chocolate, fizzy drinks, bread, pasta and potatoes all at the same time.

When I was having a craving I couldn't be sure what I was craving and managed to get through it that way.

Will slowly reintroduce healthy amounts of all the above (bar the cigs of course) after my exam, not before though as my stress levels are rising everyday.

It's official by the way (weigh). I'm now a stone lighter than I was 5 weeks ago, I had begun walking etc before I quit so I had a head-start with the loss. It's a great feeling, am thinking of upping my 4 mile daily walk to 5 miles from this weekend.

That is brilliant. Well done!!!

I love stories like this! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭boarduser1980

hey Daisy steiner, your thread gives me encouragement, im smoking 17yrs (im 30 now), im one of these ppl that says 'im giving up next week' convincing myself. i've been 'giving up next week' for as long as i can remember. Im sick of them, i have about 12 left today and after reading this thread, im determined to finally say thats it im giving up - im gonna stay subscribed to this thread so we can all support and encourage each other;) the only part that bothers me is when im with other smokers or when im drinking:mad:

Dambant wrote: »
    hey Daisy steiner, your thread gives me encouragement, im smoking 17yrs (im 30 now), im one of these ppl that says 'im giving up next week' convincing myself. i've been 'giving up next week' for as long as i can remember. Im sick of them, i have about 12 left today and after reading this thread, im determined to finally say thats it im giving up - im gonna stay subscribed to this thread so we can all support and encourage each other;) the only part that bothers me is when im with other smokers or when im drinking:mad:

Hi Dambant and thanks for stopping by :). I've emboldened the words that jumped out at me from your post. You want to stop which, believe me is 99% of the battle right there.

I've said it before, this forum is great and it's also great that it encourages others to take the plunge so a big welcome to you!

When you are with other smokers, try telling yourself that you really don't want one, in fact, the thoughts of putting one to your lips is rotten!

Have a few pints as usual, just don't get too hammered for the first while, get into the habit of not smoking.

Take deep breaths, when you smoke you automatically pull the smoke down to the bottom of your lungs (gross :() so taking deep breaths will help kill the craving.

Try not to dive into sweets and chocolate, it'll just add to the unpleasantness when you have to try and shake the weight later on.

Drink loads of water, acknowledge that the narkiness is as a result of the evil nicotine leaving your system. Try not to bate anyone though, it's not their problem that you're having withdrawals :).

It's a mad interesting process and as you regain lung function and fitness (and no longer smell like an ashtray) you will experience some great natural highs!

Best of luck and please post away, it doesn't matter why/what (within reason) you are posting, it's a distraction and once you've finished typing the crave will have passed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

This is brilliant Daisy. Reading the thread reminded me of last January. I remember the first 72 hours well. Major trauma :D

Stick with it tho. Don't get complacent. The cravings will come back around when you least expect it. They will come less frequently but when they come they will be strong. I had a bad week last week - spent most of it gumming for a smoke. I held firm but it served as a reminder once again.

Be strong and well done :)

Macros42 wrote: »
    This is brilliant Daisy. Reading the thread reminded me of last January. I remember the first 72 hours well. Major trauma :D

Stick with it tho. Don't get complacent. The cravings will come back around when you least expect it. They will come less frequently but when they come they will be strong. I had a bad week last week - spent most of it gumming for a smoke. I held firm but it served as a reminder once again.

Be strong and well done :)

Thanks a million Macros42 :)

I definitely still have my guard up as I'm facing an important exam on the 27th and exam-time used to mean sucking down cigarettes before and after!

Hoping to stay in this frame of mind though, there have been so many positive changes in my life in the past few weeks that I'd hate to go back now.

I upped my daily walk by another mile yesterday which makes it a 5 miler. :eek:

I've also been told by a neighbour that I'm an "inspiration" :o when it comes to the walking, she sees me at it every day and really, the weight is dropping off as well as being fitter and happier.

My little bundle of 'me' cash is growing steadily also and I'm really looking forward to spending it all on ME once this pesky exam is over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Optimus485

well done on the positive changes you've made.

I was the same around exam time in the past, smoking more than normal.
    I had exams last May and got through them without smoking, so it can be done. have a cuppa instead.:)

Good luck!

Advertisement