Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Street Fighter X Tekken is for REAL!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Fergus_

The message appears if you're idle for a certain time in a trial

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Learn something new every day!

You win capcom... this time!

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

I still think it completely cheapens the difficulty of some of those trials, what's the point of it at all?

D4RK ONION wrote: »
    I still think it completely cheapens the difficulty of some of those trials, what's the point of it at all?

That Svensonn chappy made a recent post over on Capcommunity in which he basically admitted they messed up the user friendliness of SFxT with all the everything in it.

I guess I'll post some first impressions of the characters I tried out so far.

Keep in mind I have no access to frame data and I'm only going by the feel and testing with Julia's 2f super.

Elena - She's a very mixup heavy character, which is unusual for a SF character, her hcb p (mallet mash) is a safe comboable overhead, she has an invincible DP, I'm not sure what her low options are as I didn't try her out too much, probably cr.lk xx chain but I didn't really notice any safe chains/specials from her cr.lk. Her normals seems average, her cr.mp and st.lk looks nice though. She just felt like a weaker Hwoarang.

Christie - Christie is pretty strong from what I can see, she has pretty nice pokes for a Tekken character, her cr.mp and cr.mk are really good and cr.mk is special cancellable. She has a high/low game with her hcb p (stinger) overhead and her qcb k move for low. I haven't tested if they're safe but they have decent pushback. She has really good tag cancel options, and her damage seems good. She can combo from her cr.mp (fantastic poke) whiff punish for 380ish with 1 bar. And she has a gdlk AA with cr.hp :pac:

Alisa - Her forward dash is insanely fast, it looks like cadc throws will be a big part of her gameplay, her forward dash is really hard to react to. She has a fireball similar to Gouken, different strenghts, different angles and she can dash after an AA fireball for a combo. Her pokes seems ok, cr.mk can be buffered into dp punch. She has a mode where she activates her chainsaws, doing a raw change to chainsaw mode isn't a good idea since it has lenghty startup, but she has a safe chain to go from her normal mode to chainsaw mode and it can be used to extend combos. Her st.hp in chainsaw mode seems really strong for AAing, her chainsaw normals inflict chip damage. She can AA with her dp, her damage seems weak for a Tekken character, but she has zoning and a great throw/cadc game to make up for it. She's the character I'm most interested in after Sakura.

Cody - Cody does INSANE damage, 504 with 1 bar in corner, and he can get 650+ easily with 3 bars. He has a safe chain with cr.lk st.mk which is really good to have in this game, his cr.lk is definitely slower than 3f as I couldn't punish -3 moves, his rocks seems to be the same, his b+mp is still as good and can combo off CH into cr.lk xx hk ruffian kick. He can link cl.hp > cr.hp normally and 2 cr.mps in a row, he can link cr.lk into cr.lk which then can go into a chain, (couldn't link into cr.lp/st.lp, maybe my timing's just bad). His HP CU is a safe tag cancel, I'm pretty sure it is. Out of all the SF DLC characters, I think Cody is the strongest.

Guy - I didn't go into too much detail on Guy, he can do 2 bushin chains in the corner, he doesn't need run stop anymore with the CADC mechanic in the game, his CADC seemed faster than his run stop. His cr.lk doesnt' seem as good as it is in SFIV, his lp/mp shoulder is still safe and ex wall bounces. Guy's damage seems really good, he can link a lot of normals together. I feel Guy is pretty strong.

Sakura - I have mixed feelings on Sakura in SFxT, she's going to play closer to her alpha incarnation rather than SFIV, her tatsu is unsafe on block, her cr.hp is pretty bad now, cr.mk/st.hk feels slower, but she certainly has a faster walkspeed than in SFIV, and her tag cancels are one of the best in the game imo, her hp shouken from cr.mk can combo into Asuka for 400+ damage and on block, it gives Asuka a free mixup. Her mk/hk tatsu is also a good tag cancel, her cr.mk st.hk chain is safe which is REALLY good. She doesn't do a lot of damage on her own, it seems pretty average, but her tag cancels gives good opportunities to deal damage with your partner. I feel Sakura is a really strong point character.

I run Sakura/Asuka and I feel the team works really well together with Sakura's tag cancel options and Asuka's upclose game benefits from Sakura's tag cancels and strong neutral game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

Does Elana have her healing super?

Does Elana have her healing super?

Judging by what happened to me when I took SFxT for the first spin in a long time last night her super is a bunch of hyper generic looking kicks, and then she does the famous hand stand at the end!

Listening to this Ultrachen: http://www.twitch.tv/ultrachentv/b/326973925

Apparently the Quick Combo Gems in SFxT are functionally the "easy input" controls from the 3DS port of SSFIV, but at the cost of a metre.

So you can program a combo that will always work AND ignore charge requirements at the cost of a metre OR go back to the 3DS glory of "Walk forward Flash Kick" and just put a single charge moves on your quick combo button (still at the cost of a metre).

I still think the 3DS easy inputs were a cool idea, and weren't annoying considering you could filter out opponents using it. But then again, you couldn't have pre-programmed combos. I wonder if anything cool can come of their inclusion in SFxT.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

So you can program a combo that will always work AND ignore charge requirements at the cost of a metre OR go back to the 3DS glory of "Walk forward Flash Kick" and just put a single charge moves on your quick combo button (still at the cost of a metre).

All the quick combos are pre-set iirc and every one I've seen obeys the restrictions of the game such as charge.

Orim wrote: »
    All the quick combos are pre-set iirc and every one I've seen obeys the restrictions of the game such as charge.

They're specifically discussing the patch that came with the DLC characters/DLC gems, which allows you to edit the quick combos.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭J0hnick

Actually had a lot of fun playing this today, seriously need to learn a 2nd character though, Guy + generic Ryu just isn't gonna cut it.

Playing 2 v 1 or 2 v 2 with somebody else whos good with at least 1 character is a blast, you really feel like a team.

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

Actually, in this game, I'm pretty sure generic Ryu will cut it!

D4RK ONION wrote: »
    Actually, in this game, I'm pretty sure generic Ryu will cut it!

You might be right, went on a 10 game win streek today against mostly Ryu + Ken teams, the worst part was as scrubby as that team looks its actually legit.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Valormeer

I'm online now under the name Irevalormeer on PSN if you guys are the irish guys I'm coming up againest GG! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Danonino.

J0hnick wrote: »
    Actually had a lot of fun playing this today, seriously need to learn a 2nd character though, Guy + generic Ryu just isn't gonna cut it.

Playing 2 v 1 or 2 v 2 with somebody else whos good with at least 1 character is a blast, you really feel like a team.

I'm the opposite, I really want to like this game but its absolutely wrecking my head. Keep going back and every time I end up thinking 'why did I put this in again' ha ha

Your on my friends list though and I still don't play Guy as it seems to mess with my Guy in 4. We should team up some night. Lately I'm mostly playing Lei wu long with Nina. Lei is easily the most fun I've had with a character in the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,973 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Nutrient

"The free update is stated to be released on November of this year. Are you willing to give it another try?"

This line killed me

Well, somebody had to bump this thread :p

2013 update, free download in December 2012, known changes so far

• Throw start-up has been changed from 7 frames to 5 frames
    • Life recovery speeds have been adjusted, so that there are less time-outs.
    • Tekken characters’ anti-air moves have been improved. Specifically, upon hitting your opponent in the air with certain moves, you will now be able to do juggle combos similar to in, well, the Tekken games
    • The camera or special animation activated during a Boost Combo (light, medium, heavy, heavy combos) has been adjusted so that the battle moves along more swiftly.
    • Recoverable health’s color in the health bar has been changed, so that it’s easier to see. Comparison shots before and after.
    • The glowing effect that accompanies a gem’s activation has been changed (less glowing now). Before and after shots.
    • At the start of the round, the “FIGHT” graphic will dissipate more quickly.

Outside of system changes, the game’s characters will also receive balance tweaks:

• Ken – Shippuu Jinrai Kyaku will have more horizontal range (move forward further). Damage will also be increased.
    • Kazuya – EX Wind God Fist is fully invincible from start-up to first hit frame.
    • M.Bison – Kneepress Nightmare is invincible to projectiles.
    • Bob and Paul – movement speed has been increased.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,700 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

J0hnick wrote: »
    Well, somebody had to bump this thread :p

2013 update, free download in December 2012, known changes so far

• Throw start-up has been changed from 7 frames to 5 frames
    • Life recovery speeds have been adjusted, so that there are less time-outs.
    • Tekken characters’ anti-air moves have been improved. Specifically, upon hitting your opponent in the air with certain moves, you will now be able to do juggle combos similar to in, well, the Tekken games
    • The camera or special animation activated during a Boost Combo (light, medium, heavy, heavy combos) has been adjusted so that the battle moves along more swiftly.
    • Recoverable health’s color in the health bar has been changed, so that it’s easier to see. Comparison shots before and after.
    • The glowing effect that accompanies a gem’s activation has been changed (less glowing now). Before and after shots.
    • At the start of the round, the “FIGHT” graphic will dissipate more quickly.

Outside of system changes, the game’s characters will also receive balance tweaks:

• Ken – Shippuu Jinrai Kyaku will have more horizontal range (move forward further). Damage will also be increased.
    • Kazuya – EX Wind God Fist is fully invincible from start-up to first hit frame.
    • M.Bison – Kneepress Nightmare is invincible to projectiles.
    • Bob and Paul – movement speed has been increased.
    That trailer lasted 2 and a half minutes, and it didn't actually tell me anything.

Except maybe that this game has lots of annoying explosions.

Well, fair fecks to Capcom for at least carrying out their promise.

I'll give SFxT another go so.

• Advertisement

These are really postive changes for the gam, I really wanted a grey health nerf because it recovers far too fast, the rest are just bonuses.

There's even more character changes announced

Ken
    • Extended the forward distance of Shippu Jinraikyaku with damage increased!

Kazuya
    • Becomes completely invulnerable when Demon God Fist EX is activated (until the attack ends)

Cammy
    • Hooligan Combination can take off to Cannon Strike EX

Julia
    • Increased the damage of Lashing Arrow EX with wall bounce damage

Juri
    • Extended in-air time on short distance heavy punch and can chain to Super Arts

Bob
    • Giga Jacker EX sends opponent to a hard knockdown state

Abel
    • Wall bounce on Counter Hit of Shoulder Tackle

Xiaoyu
    • Invulnerable frame has been added on Hakkesho EX

Balrog
    • Dash Swing Blow EX on crouched foes makes them fall on their backside

Heihachi
    • Increased damage on Chrome Dome! Also, MAX Chrome Dome can't be defended

Ibuki
    • While falling after Kunai EX, Canceling can be activated on Kunai EX

Paul
    • Invulnerable time on Shredder EX has been extended

Bob & Paul
    • Their walk speed has become faster

I like the approach they're taking, buffing the weaker chars instead of just ripping the stronger chars apart, except Gief, Gief can just die.

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭GorySnake

"The “FIGHT” message at the beginning of the round disappears from the screen faster." + "Bob Walk speed is now faster." = I came

A lot of good simple changes as well, although that other Bob change is more of a nerf and that Ken buff is lame, I don't want another character that can shut you down with meter. Although Ken is **** so whatever

I'm very willing to give the game another shot but I will miss booming people hidden by the FIGHT logo. lol

I'd be interested to give ver 2013 a go at casuals.

Fighting game fatigue means I'm pretty unlikely to buy it either way, but I'm more willing to try it with this news.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 2,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rob2D

Nice to see they're still at least attempting to make the game better.

I do enjoy SFxT, so I hope they can pull this off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭Yreval

Good to see Capcom trying, but those are only a small fraction of the changes needed to make this a good game (I'm talking more range and damage on throws, smaller stages, faster movement, getting rid of invincible recovery rolls, less damage scaling).

The game's damage is fine, there's already 40-50% combos.

Grey health nerf was really the only thing that needed immediate fixing.

Rolls is fine too.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 2,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rob2D

Yreval wrote: »
    Good to see Capcom trying, but those are only a small fraction of the changes needed to make this a good game (I'm talking more range and damage on throws, smaller stages, faster movement, getting rid of invincible recovery rolls, less damage scaling).

I'm with Fergus in that rolls aren't a problem. In fact its a pretty dangerous thing to do most of the time. And the game seems plenty fast to me.

I would like to see, as you say, less scaling on longer combos and greater throw range.

Also a massive balance update too. Things need to be punishable, which is the main problem with the game right now IMO. Most moves have ridiculous advantage to them when they shouldn't, so people can get away with some awful nonsense:mad: There's no risk, which is why its boring to watch compared to SF4 for example.

I know we're supposed to use the alpha counter or whatever more often, but its just not consistent enough a move for its supposed function.

Speaking of, did they fix that glitch with Guile's alpha counter?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

Rob2D wrote: »
    I'm with Fergus in that rolls aren't a problem. In fact its a pretty dangerous thing to do most of the time.

How is it dangerous to do? It's not punishable. Sometimes you might put yourself in an awkward crossup situation but they still have to guess to do that right? And there'd be much more dangerous oki options if you couldn't.

Advertisement