Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DTT Commercial Multiplexes (was OneVision, Boxer etc...)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Looks a bit like this... or at least, that's how I remember it (font seems right, green shade is a bit off, but I'm too lazy to care)! :)

08026_thumb.png

Edit: meant to say, one of the mockups made on previous page is far better, one can only hope that they decide to change the logo before launch.

icdg wrote: »
    indeed I know many people (including close relatives) who do not even know how to switch on a computer, never mind use Windows.
    You've met my brother then?
    He got his first pc 2 years ago and he's no spring chicken.
    He got onto a certain broadband providers support centre and the person on the other line asked him to click run..
    After a few minutes he had done this and then was told to type cmd

There was another gap of a minute or two after which the call centre person asked him what was going on...to which my brother replied... "I'm looking for the M..where is it?"

My bro is an example of who saorview will be dealing with and the dredges of the pay market that pay tv potentials have decided it's not worth bothering with :)

By the way now that even RTE is reporting that DTT pay services will not be happening,do we have any idea why they are still bothering with 4 muxes live on mt leinster? Other than jamming of course..

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

The commercial crowd would have been naming the pay serivce. Not the free service. I'd say we are stuck with it. At least it's only green and not a Shamrock or a Dwarf in green clothes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

watty wrote: »
    a Dwarf in green clothes.

Wan a dem lads would be called a Leprechaun Watty and is an apt motif seeing as he always leads to a pot of Gold.

I can't speil thouse complimicated Hollywood wurds.

• Advertisement

Instead of saorview or indeed "soar" a few posts back let's all call the logo or ident or motif "Darby" then. I like Darby me :p

• Registered Users Posts: 11,325 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Well if a satellite service comes along it could be called "Saor Sát Eireann":)

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭Mr McBoatface

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Instead of saorview or indeed "soar" a few posts back let's all call the logo or ident or motif "Darby" then. I like Darby me :p

My grammar does suck :)

I meant to write sore-view:D.

The dtt mess has left people felling sore so it's as good a name as any I suppose.

A possible advertiment logo for Sore-view
    eamon-ryan.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 15,507 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

This is pointless, Comreg should licence the 698-806MHz band for LTE ( fast mobile broadband) using US gear and be done with the telly bollox. The spectrum would fetch in the many 10s of millions, if not €100m . Ring fence the first few €10s of millions for RTE to reconfigure and thats that.

The new IPhone would work properly and all :D

Thats not going to happen, the European mobile industry has 790-862 MHz but were lobbying for 750-862 MHz.

As of the 6th May this frequency range is now set in European law for the Digital Dividend, "Commission Decision 2010/627/EU on harmonised technical conditions of use in the 790-862 MHz frequency band for terrestrial systems capable of providing electronic communications services in the European Union".
    Today's Decision specifies that all Member States that decide to open the 790-862 MHz spectrum sub-band (the so called 800 MHz band) to services other than broadcasting, should allocate it for wireless broadband services under harmonised technical conditions.

From the moment Member States decide to open the 800 MHz band for networks other than terrestrial broadcasting (television), they must immediately apply the harmonised technical rules laid down by the Decision to make these frequencies available to wireless broadband applications.

The Cush wrote: »
    As of the 6th May this frequency range is now set in European law for the Digital Dividend, "Commission Decision 2010/627/EU on harmonised technical conditions of use in the 790-862 MHz frequency band for terrestrial systems capable of providing electronic communications services in the European Union".

I know all that Cush which is why I said we would have to use "US Gear".

We will be left with a guaranteed 90mhz of dead spectrum if we allocate it for TV and if we were to allocate 700-806 or simply 700-790 to US standard LTE it would be far more useful in Ireland which relies unduly on mobile broadband owing to myriad policy failures and a bankrupt eircom. We need to have a plan b when that turd steams off to turd heaven.

The co ordination would be straightforward with the UK because the devices are low power, one can always sanitise the border with a no use zone....unlike our loudly squalking MMDS that interferes with UK plans for LTE at a higher and less usable frequency.

Furthermore it would be valuable as distinct from merely dead and the auction would pay for a reconfiguration of DTT to our real requirements. We would still be left with 200mhz for DTT (which is more than enough) between 500mhz and 700mhz.

The issue of the equally moribund VHF3 band also needs dealing with. There is no demand for that either but TV will not be permitted and no interesting technology is anticipated in that band in Ireland.

The idea that we should basically not use around 300mhz of sub 1 gigahertz spectrum is simply insane .....to my mind.

If pay tv is dead lets have a digital dividend of our own on top of the EU one. You know it makes sense Cush :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Tony wrote: »
    Well if a satellite service comes along it could be called "Saor Sát Eireann":)

Surely that would be called Esat

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,426 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

You've met my brother then?

A bit off topic, but .......

Many years ago, I sold a computer to a small company quite a distance away. We always just sent the monitor (CRT) out unchecked, still sealed in the box, as they always worked. Got a call saying computer was working, but the monitor was not, could we send someone. Well, the person on the computer said it sounded as if it was working, but nothing on the monitor.
    'Is the monitor turned on?' 'Yes'
    'Is there a light on the monitor?' 'Yes.'
    'Are you sure there is no light on the monitor?' 'Yes, the light is on.'

So we sent an engineer out to fix the problem. He turned on the monitor.

We should have charged for the call out.

I know all that Cush which is why I said we would have to use "US Gear".

We will be left with a guaranteed 90mhz of dead spectrum if we allocate it for TV and if we were to allocate 700-806 or simply 700-790 to US standard LTE it would be far more useful in Ireland which relies unduly on mobile broadband owing to myriad policy failures and a bankrupt eircom. We need to have a plan b when that turd steams off to turd heaven.

The co ordination would be straightforward with the UK because the devices are low power, one can always sanitise the border with a no use zone....unlike our loudly squalking MMDS that interferes with UK plans for LTE at a higher and less usable frequency.

Furthermore it would be valuable as distinct from merely dead and the auction would pay for a reconfiguration of DTT to our real requirements. We would still be left with 200mhz for DTT (which is more than enough) between 500mhz and 700mhz.

The issue of the equally moribund VHF3 band also needs dealing with. There is no demand for that either but TV will not be permitted and no interesting technology is anticipated in that band in Ireland.

The idea that we should basically not use around 300mhz of sub 1 gigahertz spectrum is simply insane .....to my mind.

If pay tv is dead lets have a digital dividend of our own on top of the EU one. You know it makes sense Cush :D

If we are to release any spectrum for services other than broadcasting it must be firstly be in the range 790-862 MHz and then according to the technical conditions laid down in the regulation. We could of course allocate further outside that range if we wish but that will come from the Comreg and the Dept's Digital Dividend consultation process. A second consultation is due from Comreg so that may be your chance to propose the idea.

The UK has changed its Digital Dividend release plan to bring it in line with EU regs and looks like using the lower release band for tv also.

Regarding VHF3 eventhough Comreg indicated it would not be used for DTT in 2008 there may be something happening in that band according to SRB.

Also regarding MMDS interfering with the UK if you remember we discussed this previously.
    According to the Ofcom reports MMDS "showed little or no measured interference from MMDS transmitters into north west England" and "virtually no MMDS coverage in England and Wales with MMDS coverage in Northern Ireland limited away from the border areas".

Also, "the information presented here suggests that the existence of MMDS services is unlikely to have a material impact of the value of 2.6GHz spectrum. There are likely to be some constraints in some parts of Northern Ireland which suggests that future use of the 2.6GHz band in Northern Ireland may need to be more closely coordinated with ComReg and UPC".

byte wrote: »
    Looks a bit like this... or at least, that's how I remember it (font seems right, green shade is a bit off, but I'm too lazy to care)! :)

08026_thumb.png

Similar in style to the National Irish Bank logo

a38bc_thumb.jpg

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,539 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Seriously, enough with the mocks and that. Back on topic please.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭pa990

whats the current situation..
    Who is in negotiation for the mux's

What deadlines are in place with the various companies / organisations involved ? ? ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭rlogue

No one is in negotiation, and there are no deadlines.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

pa990 wrote: »
    whats the current situation..
    Who is in negotiation for the mux's

What deadlines are in place with the various companies / organisations involved ? ? ?

This will all be announce in the coming days, I would say they will issue a press release on Friday since it seems to be what they do, wait for the weekend and provide a press release so no one can ask any questions.

They only guarantee that we have is that RTÉ NL is to launch SaorView by the end of October. (And to be very pessimistic I don't know if you could call that a guarantee 10 years later).

On to Plan 743

Pinky: What are we going to do to day Brain?
    Brain: The same think we do every night Pinky.
    Pinky: What try to launch an Irish Pay TV service?
    Brain: No pinky something far more simple..... Try to take over the world.
    Pinky: Narf
    Brain: Indeed Pinky.

BAI have said they will discuss the situation on 31st May. So maybe we might hear something new toward the end of June. No press release this Friday?

Really the Public Info Campaign and publicity about November Launch (Oct 31st!) of the Free DTT needs to start ASAP.

Written reply to Dáil question yesterday, RTÉ information campaign on the way this autumn.
    Broadcasting Services

477. Deputy Liz McManus asked the Minister for Communications, Energy and Natural Resources the areas, by county, that will be covered when digital terrestrial television is introduced; if he will provide an update on the introduction of DTT; and if he will make a statement on the matter. [19953/10]

Minister for Communications, Energy and Natural Resources (Deputy Eamon Ryan): My priority, in accordance with national policy, is to provide for the closure, in 2012, of the analogue “free-to-view” broadcasting service.

In this regard I have recently signed an Order, Statutory Instrument 85 of 2010, under section 129 of the Broadcasting Act, 2009. This Order requires RTÉ to launch a “free-to-view” DTT service to approximately 90% of the population by 31st October 2010.

The 2009 Act also requires RTÉ to provide the full national “free-to-view” digital service, capable of carrying RTÉ 1, RTÉ 2, TG4 and TV3, by the end of 2011 or such date as I may specify. In this regard I have informed RTÉ that the date for the provision of a national service is 31st December 2011.

The exact areas to be covered in each county, is dependent on a number of factors including transmitter location, signal strength and topography. I have however, been informed by RTÉ that the list of sites shown in appendix I below, are the transmitter sites that will provide coverage on 31st October 2010 and that construction of two sites remain to be completed. This will be dependent on weather conditions.

RTÉ and RTÉNL have informed me that they have comprehensive communications plans in preparation for the autumn and these will be published in due course. The information communications plan for DTT will be timely and appropriate, and will be made available to the Irish public through a variety of methods.

Appendix I
    1 | Mullaghanish | Co. Cork
    2 | Truskmore |Co. Sligo
    3 | Clermont Carn | Co. Louth
    4 | Three Rock |Co. Dublin
    5 | Mount Leinster | Co. Carlow
    6 | Cairn Hill |Co. Longford
    7 | Kippure | Co. Wicklow
    8 | Maghera | Co. Clare
    9 | Woodcock Hill | Co. Limerick
    10 | Spur Hill | Co. Cork
    11 | Dungarvan |Co. Waterford
    12 | Holywell Hill | Co. Donegal
    13 | Greystones | Co. Wicklow
    14 | Castlebar | Co. Mayo
    15 | Forth Mountain | Co. Wexford
    16 | Arklow | Co. Wicklow
    17 | Gorey | Co. Wexford
    18 | Suir Valley | Co. Waterford
    19 | Waterford |
    20 | Tonabrocky | Co. Galway
    21 | Collins Barracks | Cork City
    22 | Crosshaven | Co. Cork
    23 | Mitchelstown | Co. Cork
    24 | Knockmoyle | Co. Kerry
    25 | Drogheda | Co. Louth

http://debates.oireachtas.ie/DDebate.aspx?F=DAL20100518.XML&Node=3708#N3708

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭galtee boy

Written reply to Dáil question yesterday, RTÉ information campaign on the way this autumn.

I presume this means that the public service mux WILL launch by October 31st 2010 ? The Minister is saying it, RTE are saying it and RTE NL are saying it !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Mayo Exile

Good to see that Castlebar is in the list to be up and running by this Autumn.

In his reply he said "that construction of two sites remain to be completed. This will be dependent on weather conditions", what two sites was he referring to?

Mullaghanish & Truskmore?
    Mt. Leinster & Maghera?
    The new site at Kilduff and one other?

Almost a month after the licence offer was removed from OneVision the BAI still haven't updated their DTT info page (last paragraph)

Since I posted this on Tuesday the BAI DTT info page has now been updated.
    The original DTT licensing process was undertaken by the Broadcasting Commission of Ireland (“BCI”). In April 2008, applications were received from three groups and following a competitive application process, the BCI entered into contract negotiations with the first placed group, Boxer DTT Limited in July 2008. In April 2009, Boxer DTT Limited withdrew from the process citing prevailing and anticipated economic circumstances, in addition to challenges in successfully concluding a contract with RTÉ NL, to the satisfaction of both parties, for the provision of transmission services. In May 2009, the BCI entered into contract negotiations with the second placed applicant OneVision. That consortium was unable to conclude a contract with RTÉ NL, to the satisfaction of both parties, for the provision of transmission services. The BAI withdrew from contract negotiations with the consortium in April 2010. The contracts were then offered to the third placed applicant, Easy TV, in May 2010.

Update (May 2010)
    The Broadcasting Authority of Ireland (“BAI”) has been advised by the Easy TV consortium that it has decided to decline the BAI’s offer to pursue negotiations for the provision of three Commercial DTT Multiplex Contracts.

The withdrawal of the Easy TV consortium now brings the current DTT licensing process to a conclusion.

The matter will be considered by the Authority. Further information will be made available in due course.

http://www.bai.ie/licensing_digital.html

Although as gaeilge it remains unchanged :rolleyes:
    Dhámh an BCI an trí chonradh ilphléacs náisiúnta, i bprionsabal, ar One Vision i mí Bealtaine 2009. Tá idirbheartaíocht conartha leis an ngrúpa sin fós ar siúl.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Mayo Exile

In his reply he said "that construction of two sites remain to be completed. This will be dependent on weather conditions", what two sites was he referring to?

Mullaghanish & Truskmore?
    Mt. Leinster & Maghera?
    The new site at Kilduff and one other?

Castlebar maybe as well? As far as I am aware DTT from there is not on the air yet. However I dont know about the status of the upgrade at the site.

Interesting too that Tonabrocky, Co. Galway is mentioned for this Autumn. Didn't it bugger up analogue reception from C'bar earlier this year and had to be switched off again? (Mentioned in the forum somewhere).

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭BoredNaMoaner

There is a much nicer SaorView logo on Wikipedia.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/ba/Saorview.png

You just have to laugh at the whole DTT project in Ireland. Started ahead of most countries in EU with transmission tests and now playing catch-up with talks of dodging sanctions from the EU. Still no public campaign for launch either. Are the BAI going to formulate another tendering process and this consideration is holding the public launch again?

Still no public campaign for launch either. Are the BAI going to formulate another tendering process and this consideration is holding the public launch again?

The Minister said in the reply "RTÉ and RTÉNL have informed me that they have comprehensive communications plans in preparation for the autumn and these will be published in due course".

The BAI monthly board meeting on 31st May will possibly announce a short consultation period with stakeholders and other interested parties (probably ongoing as we speak) followed by a new tendering process with clearer conditions such as a defined acceptance and negotiation period and RTÉNL transmission and distribution conditions.

There is a much nicer SaorView logo on Wikipedia.

But it's not a "real" one. It's a guess.

The BAI monthly board meeting on 31st May will possibly announce a short consultation period with stakeholders and other interested parties (probably ongoing as we speak) followed by a new tendering process with clearer conditions such as a defined acceptance and negotiation period and RTÉNL transmission and distribution conditions.
    Is that your conjecture ?
    I thought we'd established that it was a dead duck,a money pit no one in their right mind would be interested in..
    Are you suggesting we should have another 6 months or a year of palava?

I think that if there were potential lunatics in the woodwork interested in this farce,that they would have came out before the financial crisis and certainly would have surfaced during the now defunct tender process.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Satdog

Appendix I from PQ
    Appendix I

1 Mullaghanish Co. Cork2 Truskmore Co. Sligo3 Clermont Carn Co. Louth4 Three Rock Co. Dublin 5 Mount Leinster Co. Carlow6 Cairn Hill Co. Longford 7 Kippure Co. Wicklow8 Maghera Co. Clare9 Woodcock Hill Co. Limerick 10 Spur Hill Co. Cork11 Dungarvan Co. Waterford12 Holywell Hill Co. Donegal 13 Greystones Co. Wicklow 14 Castlebar Co. Mayo15 Forth Mountain Co. Wexford16 Arklow Co. Wicklow17 Gorey Co. Wexford 18 Suir Valley Co. Waterford 19 Waterford 20 Tonabrocky Co. Galway 21 Collins Barracks Cork City 22 Crosshaven Co. Cork23 Mitchelstown Co. Cork 24 Knockmoyle Co. Kerry 25 Drogheda Co. Louth
    Anyone know what are the plans are for Forth Mountain, Co Wexford. As far as I'm aware there is currently no TV transmission from that site. Is a relay station planned? If it is already designated to commence transmission in the Autumn - according to the PQ - when will testing commence and what channel will be used?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement