Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Point Village Shopping Centre

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭subpar

Reported in the Irish Times and Irish Independent on 22nd Feb.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

I'm not sure what impact this will have on Point Village. If I have the location right, it must be a 15 minute walk away. So not great for running out to at lunchtime. Maybe some additional Luas passengers passing through, although they'd probably use Spencer Dock and not the Point?

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭LeeroyJ.

beauf wrote: »
    It's been a massive building site for 6 months or more.

My Bedroom is facing toward the road construction - good sleep has become an issue for sure :D

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭blue_blue

Ben D Bus wrote: »
    I'm not sure what impact this will have on Point Village. If I have the location right, it must be a 15 minute walk away. So not great for running out to at lunchtime. Maybe some additional Luas passengers passing through, although they'd probably use Spencer Dock and not the Point?

Little I'd say. FB mollycoddles their workers so there's no reason for them to leave the building

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Like Yahoo - a few coffees when people want to escape the office and bog all else.

• Advertisement

The 3 Bears removed to make way for New Office Block for todays Indo:

The Three Bears of Dublin's docklands have been removed from outside the 3Arena by official receivers for Nama.
    For several years, the 8ft statues were seen striding purposefully outside the venue at the East Link Bridge.
    But on Tuesday morning they were carted away on the orders of Grant Thornton, the firm acting as receivers in matters pertaining to businessman Harry Crosbie.

Sadly, the bears will "never return" to the Point, and the receivers now in control of the artwork will consider selling it, if that's reckoned to be the best way of raising cash for Nama.
    How the front of the arena looks after they were removed by Nama receivers Picture: Damien Eagers2
    How the front of the arena looks after they were removed by Nama receivers Picture: Damien Eagers
    There are also no plans for the bears, who remain in storage, to go back on public display anywhere. Without an intervention from Nama, the bears look certain to be auctioned off on the art market. Receivers from Grant Thornton are clearing the site where the bears were located to make room for an €80m office block.

Steve Tennant and Paul McCann, partners with Grant Thornton, were appointed as receivers by Nama over assets linked to loans owed by businessman Harry Crosbie.
    The valuable Three Bears sculpture is regarded as one of those assets, along with land and buildings.

"They'll now consider the best realisation strategy for the bears," a source said.
    A similar structure by sculptor Patrick O'Reilly on the Wicklow sea front was reported to be worth approximately €100,000.

The removal of the bronze bears has caused great upset in the North inner city.
    Already there is a call to free the 'Docklands Three'.

Sculptor Patrick O'Reilly had no idea the statues had been moved when contacted by the Irish Independent.
    "It is disappointing. As an artist, you want your works to go on display in places where people can see and enjoy them.

"So I am sad to hear they are gone and very sad to hear they won't return. They were commissioned by Harry Crosbie who thought ...they would add to the cultural backdrop of the area," he said.
    Local councillor Ciaran Cuffe said Dublin City Council should consider seeking to buy the three bears.

The Green Party councillor and town planner said: "The bears were very much part of the improvements in the north docklands.
    "I think it would be shameful to remove them and sell them off to the highest bidder.

"Any loss of sculpture in the city is a step backwards," he added.

Local independent councillor Christy Burke called for the bears to be "set free" and placed in a public park in the north inner city.
    Irish Independent

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭geecee

I notice that the Odeon Cinema Website has renamed their Cinema from Point Village to Point Square already

That was quick work!

Got chatting with security guard outside new Central bank tonight
    He said that 300 workers moved in this week
    A further 500 will move in next Monday
    And another 600 have to be out of Dame St. by April 18th

First thing he complained about was lack of a supermarket nearby... Hopefully some enterprising companies will realise now is the time to move into Point Square!

Spar on Castleforbes is going to be a very busy venue soon (as if it wasn't busy enough in mornings and lunchtimes already!)

geecee wrote: »
    Got chatting with security guard outside new Central bank tonight
    He said that 300 workers moved in this week
    A further 500 will move in next Monday
    And another 600 have to be out of Dame St. by April 18th

First thing he complained about was lack of a supermarket nearby... Hopefully some enterprising companies will realise now is the time to move into Point Square!

Spar on Castleforbes is going to be a very busy venue soon (as if it wasn't busy enough in mornings and lunchtimes already!)

Fully Agree
    not to mention the 400 people now working in Voxpro in the Point Square and the 440 people in the NTMA who will be moving in next year.
    Notice the retail unit on the ground floor of Castleforbes Block B is foe sale in the latest Alsops auction.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,537 ✭✭✭JTMan

The NTMA will not move staff into Dublin Landings until the end of 2018.

Agreed that a supermarket is needed. Aldi and Lidl are both nearby now but there is a need for a supermarket in the Docklands. Hopefully, something can be sorted in the Point Square soon if legal issues can be resolved soon.

• Advertisement

Spar are earmarked to open in Spencer Dock, right behind DCC. Hopefully it should be soon enough given the increase in numbers in the area in the coming months. It probably won't be a 'proper' supermarket but more geared for the passing daytime crowd. The nearest places you'd go for a full shop at the moment would be the Lidl & Aldi in East Wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,537 ✭✭✭JTMan

Spar are earmarked to open in Spencer Dock, right behind DCC.

Where are DCC in Spencer Dock?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

There's also the Fresh supermarket beside Mayor Square but I suppose that's little more than an upmarket convenience store with a bit extra.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

It's interesting how much more expensive the spar at castleforbs road is vs the one near Mayor's square. I wonder is it one of the most expensive in Dublin.

You have the option of walking to canal dock or Ringsend either. Both are pretty close especially if cycling.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Rogue-Trooper

blue_blue wrote: »
    Spar are earmarked to open in Spencer Dock, right behind DCC. Hopefully it should be soon enough given the increase in numbers in the area in the coming months. It probably won't be a 'proper' supermarket but more geared for the passing daytime crowd. The nearest places you'd go for a full shop at the moment would be the Lidl & Aldi in East Wall.

Where did you hear that? Is it going into one of the empty retail units at the back of PWC/The CCD?

It's interesting how much more expensive the spar at castleforbs road is vs the one near Mayor's square. I wonder is it one of the most expensive in Dublin.

You have the option of walking to canal dock or Ringsend either. Both are pretty close especially if cycling.

For me the Spar in Castleforbes is probably one of the cheapest in the city, its my local spar and I find things very reasonably priced there (for a convenience store)

The one at Grand Canal Dock/Longboat Quay is the most expensive for me, even their special offers are a ripoff! Then again they are only competing against "Fresh" in GCD.... and it wouldn't be hard to be cheaper than them!

(Note the quotes around "Fresh" - as they are anything but!)

There are some real business opportunities in renting or buying retail units in the area. After 10 years the area looks like finally reaching its potential.

The vacant creche on the ground floor of Castleforbes Sq is currently for sale ---- another badly needed facility.

JTMan wrote: »
    Where are DCC in Spencer Dock?

Dublin Convention Centre (or is it CCD officially?)
    Where did you hear that? Is it going into one of the empty retail units at the back of PWC/The CCD?

Was talking to one of the security guys that drives around the golf cart doing security for the Spencer dock apartment/business block. The unit that Spar are supposed to be going into is the one right beside the canal.

The unit directly behind PWC at the Liffey side of the Luas tracks is being broken up into two - one space for an office and the other for a restaurant/cafe/wine bar. I'd say they'd be better to focus on the coffee side of things given bulk of activity is during daytime in the IFSC area. http://www.dublincity.ie/swiftlg/apas/run/WPHAPPDETAIL.DisplayUrl?theApnID=DSDZ4019/16&SearchID=1
    Full Development Description

Permission for the subdivision of the existing 468 sq.m gross retail Unit C5 into 2.no units and the change of use of one of the units (163 sq.m) to restaurant/cafe/winebar use and the change of use of the second unit (305 sq.m) to office use for a temporary period of 5 years and the insertion of 2 no. fire exit doors to the southern elevational and associated elevation amendments at Unit C5.

Decision: GRANT PERMISSION

Decision Date: 13-Dec-2016

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Fred_Johnson

It's precisely because the area is dead in the evening that we need a few restaurants, bars, wine bars etc to get the footfall.

Disappointed that Spar are going into Spencer Dock. That seems like an ideal location for a high end restaurant or steakhouse.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

It's precisely because the area is dead in the evening that we need a few restaurants, bars, wine bars etc to get the footfall.

Disappointed that Spar are going into Spencer Dock. That seems like an ideal location for a high end restaurant or steakhouse.

They aren't going to be taking anywhere close to all the available retail space.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭LeeroyJ.

I'm surprised that there is still 0 movement in the shopping centre since Starbucks, sold out shows nonstop, new toad, Central bank finished and a lot more construction in the area and still nothing being done there.

They must realize potential in there for a fast food restaurant and supermarket at the very least - people in the area shop in east wall if they have a car or order Tesco/Buymie,Supervalu delivery if not.

QUICK SERVICE RESTAURANT (QSR) SECTOR
    Eddie Rocket’s opens second Belfast venue at former Ed’s Easy Diner site
    www.propelinfo.com – 09.02.2017
    US-style diner and burger bar Eddie Rocket’s has opened its second venue in Belfast at a site formerly occupied by Ed’s Easy Diner, which closed days before Christmas. Franchise holder Justin Ward already runs Eddie Rocket’s other Belfast restaurant – in Lisburn Road – and its other Northern Ireland site, in Newry. A third Belfast site, this time in the city centre, is due to open soon. Other openings in the pipeline include Lisburn Leisure Park in Northern Ireland along with three venues in the Republic – Portlaoise, Co. Laois; Point Village, Dublin; and Celbridge, Co.Kildare. They are mostly franchisee-owned in line with the company’s business strategy for 2017. Rocket Restaurants Group currently has 47 restaurants across Ireland and the UK, of which 25 are owned by long-standing multi-unit franchisees.

Eddie rockets is still planning to open it seems.

For me the Spar in Castleforbes is probably one of the cheapest in the city, its my local spar and I find things very reasonably priced there (for a convenience store)...

Walk down to Mayors Square then you'll be amazed. The one in Castleforbes is the most expensive one I use in the city.

LeeroyJ. wrote: »
    I'm surprised that there is still 0 movement in the shopping centre since Starbucks, sold out shows nonstop, new toad, Central bank finished and a lot more construction in the area and still nothing being done there. ....

Doesn't Mayor Square go quiet out side business hours though.

Yes, but the business hours trade keeps two bars, two large convenience stores, a pharmacy and a large number of food outlets going.

The footfall of the point village is a tiny fraction of mayors square. Like tiny.

The only time its busy is if there is an event on. The rest of the time its still very very quiet. I would doubt there is enough trade to keep a place open.

The footfall of the point village is a tiny fraction of mayors square. Like tiny.

The only time its busy is if there is an event on. The rest of the time its still very very quiet. I would doubt there is enough trade to keep a place open.

It's a case of build it and they will come. If they got a Dunnes Stores down there with 8 or 9 other retail units to start off with, you'd start seeing a massive increase in footfall. Once Facebook opens down there, along with Exo, Dublin Landings, Spencer Dock 2 and the student accomodation, it will definitely be viable.

If they have an internal shop/canteen I doubt they'll use a local shop.

The Spar is mainly busy at peak times because of the builders. I've never seen it busy otherwise, even when there is a massive gig on in the arena.

What's needed is permanent residents, student accommodation and hotels.

250 apartments coming on stream in Dublin Landings, 150 (at least) in Spencer dock. Added to existing Spencer Dock, that's 1,000 apartments, and maybe 2500 to 3000 residents.

Student accommodation in the Point - 900 students. Another student accommodation in Spencer Dock, let's say 600 students. That's 1,500 students altogether.

Hotels - There's the Gibson and at least 3 hotels on the way, and possibly another at the Convention Centre. Probably 600 beds here.

Very quickly you get up to a semi-permanent population of 5,000 in the North Docklands. When you add the large increase in office workers and maybe people coming to shop from further afield, it's clear that by 2020 a Dunnes Stores is viable. I expect to see it open in 2019/2020.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Neon_Lights

For me the Spar in Castleforbes is probably one of the cheapest in the city, its my local spar and I find things very reasonably priced there (for a convenience store)

Ah its rip off republic compared to the SPAR (used to be Centra) in East Wall

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Neon_Lights

Its a ghosttown on Saturdays, a lot of the shops don't bother opening

Advertisement