Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Point Village Shopping Centre

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,508 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Anyone on the council housing list, by its nature going to be lower incomes.

That is an interesting idea but the risk is people's jobs and places they live are linked. Do they lose it should they be fired or change jobs for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

Then they would qualify under no income and could stay anyway.

We just have to be careful not to squeeze the middle out of Dublin.

All the talk of social housing is always aimed at the low paid, but teachers cannot afford to live here. They contribute to society as much as anyone does and should qualify.

Social housing should be for society. For everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭AngryLips

It's not as low as you think. I think the income threshold was like 40k net income for a single person... that's actually a good bit higher gross.

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭geecee

Dunnes staff member told me just now that opening is delayed by a day till Thurs 14th December.

The hoardings are down now and you can see into the shop through the shutter... although its cordoned off.

Stock in the existing store is after getting pretty lean (e.g. there is no personal care stuff any more) so seems stock has been transferred across

• Registered Users Posts: 2 DRFollowing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭subpar

15 years late , but still very welcome. A good asset for all who live and work in the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭geecee

15 years late, but worth the wait! Nice job Dunnes!

Must be the biggest supermarket in the City centre and nearly suburbs?

Hopefully the empty unit between the supermarket and old grocery store will become a small homewares dept

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Nickindublin

Good to hear its opened. Saves me going to the ilac or stephens green. Ill have my snoop on Sunday:-)

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Dylan2023

Dunnes have finally opened, was there today they have more staff then customers hopefully it gets busier for them great selection of items they have a smaller unit which has shutters but nothing inside in between the new store and old store that is planned for the clothing department.

Hopefully more shops open in the other vacant units now they have finally opened the bigger store

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭lordleitrim

Yeah...there is zero publicity by Dunnes on this opening so I'd imagine many locals in the area aren't even aware it has opened. Contrast that with an Aldi or Lidl opening which would be all over traditional print and social media. You'd wonder why Dunnes are so silent especially as a lot of money was put into the new store.

This section of the Docklands is crying out for a pharmacy so it'd be great if Boots, Hickey, McCauleys or one of the other big players opened a large unit on the ground floor too. I can't understand why a pharmacy hasn't yet opened east of Guild Street despite the explosion in new residents and workers in the area. A Mulligans pharmacy "opening soon" on Mayor Street inexplicably never materialised so the entire area including the original IFSC relies on the small Remedi pharmacy across from NCI!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Dunnes have a radio broadcast from the store today so they are promoting it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

I think the nearest supermarket is Tesco on Bath Ave and the Aldi/Lidl in East Wall. There's a big Fresh in GCD also.

Plenty of smaller supermarkets nearby though.

I think they'll do well on the "big shop" type customers. A homeware and clothes section would do well also I think.

So they've got quite a monopoly on a large area.

I wonder what the population of the north docks is now.

Lets say from Spencer Dock to the Point, would it be 5000 residents at least? Maybe a little more.

I know the working population is much higher.

Spencer Dock : 616

Spencer place : 403

Dublin Landings: 268

Cooper's Cross: 471

Total : 1758 (don't know what mix of size apartments).

The Point Student Apartments: 966 beds

There's a few other older apartment blocks.

So the population is probably somewhere between 5 and 10,000. Maybe 7000.

Post edited by orangerhyme on

• Registered Users Posts: 10,508 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Was busy enough this afternoon on my first visit. Technically their store on North Earl Street is closer by about 2 minutes from me but the walk to the point is much calmer. Obviously bigger too.

Shopped there yesterday. Was very impressed with the store layout and friendliness of staff. The word of its opening will spread fast enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Nickindublin

Shopped myself there yesterday.I usually go to the Ilac, Stephens Green or Cornelscourt. Lay out seems better in the point with wider aisles. Has everything i need and 1 hour free parking with €25 euro or more spent.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭Alicano

Great to see it open (finally). My partner went last week with our two babies. One issue for anyone in that boat is no trollies in the car park. So carrying kids etc might be tricky on your own. There was a lovely young lad who sorted her out with a trolly and that echos the friendly service mentioned earlier. Their staff are always very friendly in our experience. Tesco Sandymount and Bath Ave are metro ones and not full size. Aldi in East wall is quite dated and miserable. Poor for parking too. We use Lidl but love having this Dunnes option now. Is there a meat counter? My partner said she didn't see one. Cheers.

I was cycling around there having a nose last week and that restaurant between Point Depot and the centre looks great. Really great. Out of place almost!

Good times for the area.

Point Square posted Happy nee year post and watch this space exciting things to come in 2024, let hope more shops are on the way 🤞Happy new year to everyone as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,749 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Great to have the new Dunnes there. Ok it's a bit out from Point Village but does anyone know what's going on with that building beside the garage in East Wall where it meets Alfie Byrne road? Have they just given up on it? I think it's meant to be a hotel but they don't seem to have touched it in 6 months or longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Love2love

Was in Dunnes today. Very impressed! Car park / trolley issue previously mentioned is my only issue but I'm sure that will be sorted soon enough. They've a deli counter, sushi counter, Sheridan's cheese etc. Dunnes in town is a pain for me so ive mainly been using Aldi or Tesco Express but the convenience and options here will make me switch back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭AngryLips

The building has definitely been touched within the last six months. They started putting external cladding on the bottom of it about a month before Christmas, but since then there seems to have been no progress.

Re: Dunnes, does anyone know where the department store section is going in? Will it be on the same floor or will it be on another level? The space previously occupied by the mini Dunnes looks like it could accommodate it, though it would be tiny.

The building commencement notification states 2 storeys for Dunnes (food and textiles) so it sounds like clothing and probably homeware will be in the upper floor. Great to see as that should draw other new tenants to both floors then!

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Celltale_CMcN

The homeware and clothes section will go in where the convenience store was. The space there is actually a lot wider and deeper than what the convenience store was. There should be space for it to go back as far as the current off-license is in the food store and the current front part which has shutters over it is about 2x as wide as the convenience store was so it should be a decent size.

Dunnes is already over 2 floors with the lower floor just for trolleys/ATM and the access to the carpark via travelator.

Ah OK...that's what they mean by the 2nd floor in their notice then. Sounds like another anchor unit will be needed to draw more shops to occupy the 2nd floor then if Dunnes are only occupying the ground floor.

Yeah that corner build stopped for a few months. I pass it a couple of times a day and it had no action. Work recommenced mid December thereabouts and like previously said, it's been fitted out from ground up with glass etc. Road works on East wall road are abysmal. Nobody touched it for 2+ months. Cones just sitting around.. terrible way to be left. Seems to have restarted up at Aldi traffic lights this week. Compare all that shambles to Marshalls Yard build. That is flying up at the minute. Whole area from Point Depot to Fairview park cycle works seems to be one big building site.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,749 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

What even is it? A hotel? I cycled past it earlier and yeah I see some glass an stuff on the first floor or two, they're taking forever though.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Celltale_CMcN

If you goto the point square website under letting you can see all the units that are available. https://pointsquare.ie/letting/search?unitsize-from=0&unitsize-to=1000&unit_type=#retail-19

Quite a few on the ground floor are "Under offer" So I presume/hope the ones under offer will fill in the near future. There is a massive unit above Dunnes on the first floor 3200sqm. I was in it for the Xmas Flee market a few years ago and it is huge. So another anchor store could occupy that one.

It was/still is to be a Hotel alright. The rest is office I think. Can't recall the exact planning notice. At least it's getting some love again. It is taking forever like you said. Another snail pace job is the pathway linking Fairview park under the bridge and out on Alfie Byrne side. It's approx 70 metres total tarmac, and is at a guess 7 or more months since started. Maybe it stopped for an environmental assessment or something.. But my God. Its a small stretch of tarmac. Finish it!

Looks like the developer is holding off on completion and fit out until they do a deal with a hotel owner / operator.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,320 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

I thought it was either a technical issue with the glass or a planning delay.

Advertisement