Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Point Village Shopping Centre

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Yes, its still open.

I believe most of the regulars have their own chairs at the bar!

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Dylan2023

The site offices are already in place :)

Won't be long before a few cranes are installed

Has anyone noticed, Freshii are closed down a new local business is fitting out the unit aiming to open in two weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭dotsman

Fresh are already closed down?

That's very strange. They really didn't do their homework if they only lasted a few months.

Although, tbh, I always thought it was a bit strange of them opening a store in the first place when they did so close to an existing one 500 metres away in the IFSC. And with the large centra around the corner that has the large deli, it seemed a bit much to open a new store mainly for office workers, when most office workers are only in the office 1-2 days per week (thus, only 20-40% of the potential customers compared to pre-pandemic).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭blue_blue

Ahhh. I see that now. TBH, never even noticed that Freshii.

Still though, would love to know how the new Fresh is doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭lordleitrim

I was in FRESH in Dublin Landings last Saturday morning and the seating area was packed with customers eating/having coffee etc. It seems like it has become a draw for residents in the area? I'd imagine it does well during the week too with the added benefit of office workers.

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭geecee

I was there on Saturday afternoon and the only other customer was 2 girls cycling up and down the aisles on an electric bike, staff didn't say a thing!

Wow, that's interesting. I didn't think there were that many living in the vicinity. Maybe the residents of Castleforbes and that new apartment complex over the Fresh really like going out for brunch? Am I right in saying they are the only 3 apartment complexes (the 2 mentioned and the point campus) in that area that would be served by Fresh?

That's more what I was expecting 😂

I walked through it myself on Wednesday during lunch (maybe around 12.10?) and it was fairly quiet (maybe 4-5 people sitting down) and nobody at the actual deli counter. Ended up in the Centra and that seemed busier. Until the new developments are completed and people/offices move in, I don't see there being huge demand on weekdays. Most office workers are still on 3-4 days wfh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭lordleitrim

Maybe it was just an anomaly then or just some walking group or tour or something that just happened to go there while I nipped in for a takeaway coffee. Not sure but the seating was full at that point.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,627 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

I've been through fresh a few times on weekday lunchtimes and it's always been busy enough. Seating almost full a good few at the deli and tills. It's quite pricy though. I've bought very little in it for that reason. But I check it out when I'm out for a walk.

I think theres more cheaper choices in centra. There's also Spar and Gala and dunnes. So a few choices at least.

An Post to lease 5 floors in the exo building with aim on moving in from March

• Registered Users Posts: 26 hako

Dominos Pizza is to open in unit 2 of point campus right behind Pita Pit.

https://planning.agileapplications.ie/dublincity/application-details/154010

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭CucaFace

Do the DCC ever bother to come down and clean around this area?

Where is unit 2 located is this the main road where the underground entrance for the car park is as there is a unit on that road under the student accommodation facing onto this road.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭subpar

According to the planning permission documents its Unit 2 on North Wall Avenue.

This seems to be fire exits for the student accommodation, think the unit is the one facing onto the road where entrance for underground car park is as definitely an empty unit there this location highlighted is not a unit.

This is the place I'm talking. The unit is right behind Pita Pit facing North wall Avenue. They already have permission papers attached on the windows.

• Advertisement

900 Office Workers have moved into the EXO Building

An Post's new headquarters officially opened in Dublin's docklands as it leaves the GPO

TAOISEACH LEO VARADKAR officially opened An Post’s new headquarters in the Exo building in Dublin’s Docklands this evening. 

The postal service has now moved from its historical home of the GPO on O’Connell Street to a new, modern office building overlooking the city’s port and quays.

The GPO will continue to operate as a post office and museum. 

The new headquarters will host 900 employees , working in a wide range of capacities across the organisation. 

“Leaving the GPO is a significant moment in An Post’s history, some might even say the ‘end of an era’. It’s also the beginning of a new one,” Varadkar told an audience that included An Post staff, public service executives, property developers and French ambassador Vincent Guérend.

The history of the postal service was the theme of both Varadkar and An Post CEO David Mc Redmond’s speeches, as was the architecture of the building itself, which is the tallest office block in the city. 

An Post CEO David McRedmond told The Journal that moving into a new head office was “a milestone” in the history of the organisation, as well as an improvement. 

“It is a milestone. An Post had been in the GPO forever,” he said. “So it was a big decision, it was a brave decision. It was made easier by the fact that the offices in the GPO were very old and falling apart, so it was great to make the move.”

The location of the building, at the heart of Dublin’s finance and technology district, is also appropriate, he said. 

“We’re down here by the port, and by the port we’re in the middle of e-commerce, we’re looking at e-commerce and that’s where our future business is. That’s where An Post is now, we distribute e-commerce to the nation. 

“So it makes sense to be here.” 

Another theme in McRedmond and Varadkar’s speeches at the event was the environmental credentials of the Exo building, the construction of which achieved a Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design rating (LEED). 

This, according to McRedmond, was part of what attracted An Post to the site once the decision was made to leave the GPO. 

“You know, we’re a leader in sustainability in this country, it’s important that we stay a leader in sustainability,” he said. “It’s in the top 2% of buildings in the world in terms of sustainability.”

Asked if it was fortunate that this quality of building was available when An Post needed a new home, he said, “maybe”.

“We also came at the right time and that was essential.” 

Construction of the Exo building was completed last year and An Post had already signed up to move in before its completion. He also sees it as a positive that the building was owned by NAMA and has found a new purpose.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭AngryLips

Dunnes is very quickly missing a trick by not expanding at the Point Village location

• Registered Users Posts: 14,787 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Having moved to a new office nearby I'll say this about Dunnes - it's the cheapest place to get lunch. 4.50 for a chicken fillet roll including a drink; it's 6.50 without the drink in Centra!

I was surprised to see the shopping centre still so vacant though, the area is pretty built up now with a good amount of people around each day (the arrival of An Post will help further).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,247 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

why dont they put a fashion discount outlet in there? Kildare village on a smaller scale. It would do a great trade there with all the tourists and locals.

KV is too far out for most tourists.

Premier Inn Hotel opening date 11th December 2023

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Celltale_CMcN

Walked around by the entrance to Yahoo and you could see that they are getting the big Dunnes Stores ready inside. It has site access signs up and works going on inside. Asked in the current Dunnes and they said they have been told November opening. Will be great if other retailers move in and the shopping centre finally comes to life.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

Sounds good. So it's a proper Dunnes?

I think it's inevitable the shopping center will fill up now that East Rd/Castleforbes development has started. That's a few 1000 extra residents nearby.

Coopers Cross is finishing up this year I think and An Post have just moved in to Eco.

I've noticed it has been busier lately, the Cinema and Point area in general.

I still think it's a strange location for a shopping centre. I don't think much thought was put into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭AngryLips

I wonder if it will just be a groceries Dunnes or a full department store Dunnes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,537 ✭✭✭JTMan

Indeed. The original agreement was Dunnes were supposed to have both a large grocery store and a large department store.

• Advertisement

The side entrance near the entrance for Yahoo is being used for site access for builders, I have spoken to Dunnes and they have said end of year for the supermarket to be done fully and then followed by clothing section, hopefully it is true and the shopping center comes to life for once.

Advertisement