Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

where are all the jobs?? (NO CHAT - Read post #481 before posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Redlion

http://www.amris.com/wizards/primark/vacancySearch.php?

Search Dublin and 30 miles. :)

Plenty of jobs going in Penneys at the moment coming up to Christmas. From what I've been told of Penneys, these jobs can turn permanent, even after the Christmas period.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Robdude

What do you guys wear for interviews? A full suit? Or just something nice?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭Lady von Purple

Robdude wrote: »
    What do you guys wear for interviews? A full suit? Or just something nice?

I'm interested to hear the replies to this myself, it's always tough. I've heard advice along the lines of "always wear clothes suited to one level above the job you're applying for" and that's what I use as a guideline.
    I have a smart suit-ish jacket and a black dress that I wear for fancy interviews, anything admin etc. For anything retail, I go with the smart jacket, a white shirt and black pants. Occasionally I feel a bit self-conscious about being all dark colours and suit-y so I wear a scarf as well.

Going by your username, Robdude, I'm guessing a dress wouldn't be appropriate! But my advice would be to wear at least a nice shirt and pants for anything in the service industry and anything that involves a desk, suit up. :)

I am very very open to correction though, as my interviews haven't been going too well this Summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

I am very very open to correction though, as my interviews haven't been going too well this Summer.

When you were asked "Where do you see yourself in 5 years"? I hope you didn't say "Doing.....your son"? :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Eddie rockets walkinstown beside lidel looking for staff.goodluck :-)

• Advertisement

Faith+1 wrote: »
    When you were asked "Where do you see yourself in 5 years"? I hope you didn't say "Doing.....your son"? :eek:
    Damn. Note to self for future. :) No, in fairness, I think my only real fail this summer was 'tell me about your experience.' 'well, I worked here and here...' 'no, not your work experience, just... your experience.' *blank expression, some flailing*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Damn. Note to self for future. :) No, in fairness, I think my only real fail this summer was 'tell me about your experience.' 'well, I worked here and here...' 'no, not your work experience, just... your experience.' *blank expression, some flailing*

That has to be a trick question, they expect you to say something that would either keep you on the shortlist or dump you off it!

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    That has to be a trick question, they expect you to say something that would either keep you on the shortlist or dump you off it!
    Apparently it's standard enough, have seen it while looking up interview questions on a few websites. Completely took me by surprise when I heard it first though. Needless to say I never heard back from that job! :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,308 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Master

Part time staff wanted in Centra in East Point business park, D3

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Brown Thomas/BT2 are taking on Christmas staff.

• Advertisement

Is it just me, or do companies not bother to call you back after an interview? I don't know how long I should wait, if I should call them to find out what happened, or just assume they didn't want to hire me?

Is that a common thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,963 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

CianRyan wrote: »

https://secure.teamrespond.com/microsite/brownthomas/vacancylist.aspx?companyid=101

Top there in red says they ain't!:confused:

Robdude wrote: »
    Is it just me, or do companies not bother to call you back after an interview? I don't know how long I should wait, if I should call them to find out what happened, or just assume they didn't want to hire me?

Is that a common thing?

Yes, extremely common, in fact if you do get any communication after an interview it would be a nice surprise. They say they get too many applications to contact them all, but to be honest they don't interview that many so with the invention of that new-fangled email thingy, surely a quick 'you have not been successful' email wouldn't take them any length of time at all. It's just bad form on the part of employers. However, there is no harm in calling them after about a week or so see what the position is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

CianRyan wrote: »

One of the most absurd and lengthy application processes for Christmas staff I ever saw last year. They wanted three referees in advance, a telephone interview, group interview and individual interview. I even know one girl who was asked for a second interview before she got it. I know employers can be picky at the minute but that seemed absolutely ridiculous to me.

Weird, I heard it announced the day I posted it. :confused:
    One of the most absurd and lengthy application processes for Christmas staff I ever saw last year. They wanted three referees in advance, a telephone interview, group interview and individual interview. I even know one girl who was asked for a second interview before she got it. I know employers can be picky at the minute but that seemed absolutely ridiculous to me.

That's mad stuff!
    I didn't get around to applying in the end, half glad I didn't. :o

This stuff is driving me mad....

Job interview yesterday. They said, 'We will call you later today'.
    They didn't call. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭LimeFruitGum

Meadows & Byrne in Dun Laoghaire are looking for a manager/supervisor.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 etcpub

Our company is currenly also hiring at a high rate, might be worth checking it out since it's a multinational Dublin based company:

Link for careers:

http://www.linkedin.com/company/1337/careers?trk=jobtocomp

Good luck!

etcpub

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Kreator1984

Hello All

I`m 27 polish guy living in Dublin for over 6 years and I have to say that this is the worst time to find a job , any job :(

After being on the welfare dole for nearly 2 years I`ve decided to get a grip and do something, searching all the job websites, newspapers, FAS, in-store ads, asking friends ( polish and irish ) - didn`t really help me :(

My last idea what to do was to start sending my CV and Cover Letter to the potential employers ( Retail, Construction, Wholesaling, Warehousing ) through the Post ( letter and a stamp = success ).

I have received view calls for interview from Dunnes ( Clondalkin, Sandyford, St. Stephen`s Green, Kilnamanagh), Tesco ( Ballsbridge ), Esso ( Walkinstown ), Topaz ( Ballymun ), and I got finally the job in Esso garage.

Sending CV in the envelope is the best way to find a job in these hard times, in my opinion.

I recommend it.

Good luck.

Kreator1984. I do believe you are right. A friend who is not computer literate posted her CV into companies and she has had two replies. Her main reason is that emails are just too easy to ignore or delete - she has a point. Well done!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭RedFFWolf

Kreator1984, thanks for sharing this great piece of advice, obviously with your story the proof is in the pudding - it clearly worked for you, and that was really nice to hear you get a job from it. I bet it must have been such a wonderful change from going to no success to a "pick 'n' mix" of jobs :)
    I definitely have to give the method a go when I go on the hunt too!
    Best of luck with your job, hope you enjoy it :D

Managed to Pick up some work experience in a guitar shop on Sundays, it's not ideal but my foot is finally in the door and as far as the work goes, it's by far my favourite!

It was my third time in the shop looking for work and this time I fallowed the owner around with questions about getting into retail and how to get experience if I have to have experience to work anywhere, etc... He finally broke and told me to turn up on Sunday at one, so I did. He's asked me back this week and it looks like I should get a few weeks out of it and the possibility of some real hours closer to Christmas.
    Dead happy with myself. :)

So what I've learned?
    If there's no jobs, they might still need a hand. Ask for work experience and you might get lucky. Employers like motivation.

Good luck. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 652 ✭✭✭jeckle

Pandora store on Grafton St looking for both full & part time sales staff.

1 year similar experience required.

Costcutter on Dorset Street ( North Circular Road cross ) looking for Full Time staff , experience required.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,308 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Master

The Barge Pub by The Grand Canal looking for a qualified chef

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Ainekav

I am lucky enough to have two one-day a week jobs at the moment, (neither ultra secure, but how and ever) both which I love, but they just arent earning me enough for rent, bills and living, plus I'm trying to pay back an overdraft.

I've been scouring the net for the past few weeks and applying to anything I'm remotely qualified/experiences for (which is a fair bit)
    but nothing yet.

The fact that I'm unavailable on thursday mornings hasnt come up yet (the other jobs is flexible I can do it whenever I want) but I'm worried that it will if I do manage to get an interview.

I was in town handing in CV's one day weeks ago, but I haven't gone in since.
    So tomorrow I am going in all guns blazing and throwing them in everywhere.

I am also going to take your advice Kreator1984 and start posting CV's - would u suggest posting to anywhere I would like to work (in an ideal world ie. career wise/in my field) or just the usual suspects like tesco etc?

Ainekav to be honest with You, in these the hardeset days I have ever seen, it is highly recommended to seek for a work in the places where they would like You to work in and not where You would like to work because you may find that you will never find work.

I propose to send your CV to all tesco, every store that comes to mind. I am after sending dozens of CV got only 5 or 6 responses (one was the lucky one) so it is not that easy as it used to be.

And I think also that employers now require much more than even two years ago, unfortunately.

It`s not that great in Ireland as it used to be when I`ve come over in 2005 but it still fu**ing good.

Just think, no gain without pain, and go ahead.

Good luck and all the best.

Staff wanted in Half Moon creperie in Templebar.
    Christmas staff (part-time) in Pepe Jeans on Wicklow Street.
    Chef needed in a cafe in Georges Street arcade (can't remember the name offhand.)

Also, a good strategy might be to keep an eye on the shopping centre websites; they tend to list all the vacancies they have in all their stores.
    There seems to be always jobs in Dundrum shopping centre:
    http://www.dundrum.ie/about-us/jobs/

And there's one or two jobs going in Jervis too, New Look and Boots.
    http://www.jervis.ie/vacancies

By the way, I started a new job a few weeks ago. After a long few months of trying to find work and attending interviews and papering the town with CVs, finally got something. In an office no less, which is exactly what I was hoping for. So while I was resigned to part-time temporary Christmas work in a busy mass-produced store, I somehow ended up with a 9-month full-time contract in a lovely office. Moral of the story: apply for everything.

I asked my sister (she's a HR rep) for interview tips, and she said her main selling point is: all she wants is someone who'll work their ass off and get along with everyone. So, even if you don't have 5 years of experience in whatever you're applying for, all isn't lost! :)

Well I have been applying for everything and anything - I was just asking about the sending out of CV's part.

But thanks for your advice anyway.
    I have two small bits of work that I love so all I'm looking for is more work, ANY work, to boost my income!
    Just did the boots ones online
    gonna look at dundrum now and jervis, thanks a million Kreator1984 and Lady von Purple

Congrats on your job Lady von Purple, I applied for my dream job last week so here's hoping I get an interview for it. In the meantime, I'll be applying for everything else!!

• Advertisement

Also Kreator1984, where did you get the addresses - did you just send to HR department or find the relevant people online for each store?
    And did you send a cover letter?

It sounds like I've never done this before, and believe me, I'm a veteran at it at this stage, but I'm just interested to know more about your approach since it has worked for you!

Advertisement