Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

where are all the jobs?? (NO CHAT - Read post #481 before posting)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    Didn't think this thread was going to be of any interest to me until I saw Ricey1's post above. I'd really like to know more! To me it sounds like a heavenly job and you say this 60yr old man doesn't even like office work. I am almost 60, worked in offices all my life. Spent a lot of time and my own personal money training and re-training to keep up and kept working until 2 years ago when I was made redundant. I continued to re-train to no avail but just finished a 2 month temp job recently and back to square one looking for a job. I love office work, and I love computer work. Where can I get a job like the one you describe? And just like seachto7 said.....eh?????? Ditto!

I'd be a bit suspicious of Ricey1's post. He hasn't come back to it since or even mentioned the type of job it was.
    You are absolutely right! I picked up a copy last week. All jobs required retail experience.

Usually, an awful lot of retail experience as well. Is 3 years specifically in 'fashion retail' really necessary to work as a sales assistant in a clothes shop? I know it's an employers market but this seems pretty extreme.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭westies4ever

Ricey1 wrote: »
    I know a lot of people that where in the building game, they have not had steady work for a long time, all in their 30s with mortgages. My advise to them is to take a college course in computers or finance or look online to see what type of jobs are available. The days of building are over but there is a hell of a lot of jobs out there in IT programming, consultancy, sales, finance... It's never too late to get an education. We had a grandfather start with us last year, labored all his life then when there was no jobs he decided he had to do a course. He is about 60 and although he doesn't like office work he is taking home a good wage. If you are 30 or under you wouldn't notice 2/3 years pass in college and you would meet some new people along the way, 3 months off in summer and a month off at Christmas and after a few years you could be earning a grand plus a week, it's always an option

my husband is in his forties and is a qualified carpenter; he worked his way up to foreman and then site manager. no formal education. he was made redundant 18 months ago. he used nearly €3k of his redundancy doing a facilities management course at protobello. completely useless. he enjoyed it and learnt a lot don't get me wrong but he has applied for scores of facilities jobs and not even a reply, nevermind an interview. one look at the cv and its 'oh here we go, another hairy arsed builder' and its straight into the no pile. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

I heard recently that employers tend not to employ anyone who has been unemployed for any lengthy time and would rather take on someone from another job. I was also told that recruitment agencies do not put unemployed people forward for jobs. I personally am very suspicious of recruitment agencies' tactics and stopped sending them my CV years ago. The only people I know who got any work through agencies temping or otherwise are 20/30-somethings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

I'd be a bit suspicious of Ricey1's post. He hasn't come back to it since or even mentioned the type of job it was.

Agree. Another messer!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

The 'Beaumont House' is still looking for an 'Experienced Waiter', just coming from there, the sign is still in the window

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

centra at the bleeding horse end of camden street are looking for staff

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭beefjerky

Lemon Crepe & Coffe company are looking for full time. On Dawson Street

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭The Scientician

Acapulco on George's St. is looking for (I think) an experienced waiter or waitress. They were a couple of nights ago anyway, sign in the window.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Ricey1 wrote: »
    If you are 30 or under you wouldn't notice 2/3 years pass in college and you would meet some new people along the way, 3 months off in summer and a month off at Christmas and after a few years you could be earning a grand plus a week, it's always an option
    Spending 2 or 3 years in college will get you feck all. There are literary thousand of people with 4 year degrees and master unemployed, let along earning 50k after 2/3 years in college and a few years experience.

Stop getting people's hopes up to an unrealistic level.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

Even during the boom a poor 2/3 year degree wouldn't lift you much higher than you'd be with nothing. The only benefit to being in college now is that when things pick up you'll be more employable than you would have been had you been on the dole/ in and out of minimum wage jobs, it will do sweet f all for you while the economy is still bust.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭ordinary_girl

Abrakebabra on Westmoreland Street are looking for staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,245 ✭✭✭psycho-hope

I heard recently that employers tend not to employ anyone who has been unemployed for any lengthy time and would rather take on someone from another job. I was also told that recruitment agencies do not put unemployed people forward for jobs. I personally am very suspicious of recruitment agencies' tactics and stopped sending them my CV years ago. The only people I know who got any work through agencies temping or otherwise are 20/30-somethings.

completely agree, the bf caught one company out about 2 weeks ago, got a phone call asking him to log onto their website to look at job specs that they said would be "perfect for him", he had the completely wrong degree and experience for the job, then he noticed it was for the company his aunt works for....guess who was ringing the recruitment agency the next day to point out there screw up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 PurpleBaby

I am not sure why anyone would be aginst education, I gave up work 2 years Ago in the midst of this recession because i was so tired of working 65 hour weeks, i went back to college and did my masters degree in science, have had no trouble at all getting work and this week have been given the opportunity to take up a new post. If your a go getter and put yourself out there you will find something but if you sit at home googling jobs you will not get anywhere, Network, send out cvs, get your name in employers heads for positive reasons. And remember if your denied for a position you apply for ask them why you didnt get the job, they will tell you, if your prepared to learn, and take the risk of disappointment you will find something. Do some charity work to keep yourself busy and this always is a positive point for any future employer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

Job for a HR person who has been unemployed for more than 12 months:

http://www.dublinjobs.ie/search/advanced/category/all/company/dublin+pact/

lisa's trattoria in terenure are looking for a waiter/waitress

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭Miss No Name

Thank you to all the people that are posting the 'jobs in windows' around Dublin. It is really helpful and its great to be able to follow up on a 'real' job rather to applying online through a website. Nothing has turned up yet but fingers crossed. I know someone looking for any kind of work at the moment and its a horrific ordeal.

Please keep up the good work :)

spoon cafe in terenure (opp. paddy power) are hiring

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Was talking to a taxi driver last night and he said he picks up a lot of staff from the Westin Hotel and that they are always looking for staff.

Staff Required sign in Pablo Picante's, Clarendon Market.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

just walked the lenght of Talbot Street today, nearly every second shop/resturant was looking for staff - too many to remember and i hadnt had any coffee yet :o

• Registered Users Posts: 17,963 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

http://www.subway.co.uk/business/careers/make_a_store_application_region.aspx

You can apply for Subway jobs for each shop here, not sure if any are looking btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭daithi55

was chatting to a friend who works in freshways and he says there always looking for staff

New place opening up where Cassidys was on Westmoreland St next to Blacktie looking for staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,826 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Part timer needed for Schuh in Jervis!

rosie o gradys pub in harolds cross are looking for a waitress

buffalo 19 (like eddie rockets) in harolds cross are looking for a delivery driver

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭LaBaguette

There's a new burrito bar at the end of Upper Liffey st (beside the Luas) that's looking for staff.

there is a new pub opening beside lafayette on westmoreland street that are looking for full/part time staff

• Advertisement

New place opening up where Cassidys was on Westmoreland St next to Blacktie looking for staff.
    there is a new pub opening beside lafayette on westmoreland street that are looking for full/part time staff

11 days too late Gar! :D

Advertisement