Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why Is Ireland So Small-Minded?

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭drunken_munky52

people are small-minded, arrogant about the nothingness is their lives, unfriendly, unworldly, unsophisticated and judgmental!

have the same jobs for 40 years

and the tote 'caveman' mentality over certain important
    situations, as far as their ignorance goes, irrelevant to their daily lives.

Absolutely NO intellectual conversation regarding politics, education or anything remotely global. Judgmental at BEST! And, they don't mind handing over a heavy dose of it if they think you don't measure up to THEIR standards!

These people are self-centered, self-interested, self-absorbed and their only interests lay in having someone else caring about them and THEIR concerns.... which are circuitous...and revolve again... around themselves!

Did you write these points while looking in the mirror? Seems abit hypocrytical.

Your mind is seeking conflict and no matter where you go in the world, you as the individual will always judge and compare other socities without accepting "what is".

You can not blame other people for your misery that you created in your mind yourself. If your goal is to change this society then that can only start when you start to change your attitude.

Other than that, why wasnt this thread put into the "Ranting and Raving" catagory Zohan?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭I_AmThe_Walrus

Did you write these points while looking in the mirror? Seems abit hypocrytical.

Your mind is seeking conflict and no matter where you go in the world, you as the individual will always judge and compare other socities without accepting "what is".

You can not blame other people for your misery that you created in your mind yourself. If your goal is to change this society then that can only start when you start to change your attitude.

Other than that, why wasnt this thread put into the "Ranting and Raving" catagory Zohan?

That's not a fair assumption.

I will also comment on this website. It's too broad. There is a ****heap everywhere. AH is too slow at times...we need to converge forums, not throw crap everywhere...more people centered around a mixture of topics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

I'm Irish through and through. I am proud to be from this land, but I am not proud of the inhabitants mentality, the politics, the 'begrudging attitude' and the hostility to foreigners regarding that imbecile "get them out of here" line when it is in fact, those very people moving the economy along.

You are one of the inhabitants, therefore you may well be a part of the problem!

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Judgmental at BEST!

Tbh, you are the one being judgementalist.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 94 ✭✭tricialou

I reside, only temporarily, in Dublin, Ireland. This village is home of the gossip about others, what's happening about others and just pain boring, who died, who moved and generally local crap!

These small-town people are small-minded, arrogant about the nothingness is their lives, unfriendly, unworldly, unsophisticated and judgmental! These are folks who do nothing but frequent local drinking holes, watch Coronation Street; have the same jobs for 40 years and have only family as those in which they can rely. A nation of Heat magazine, having anything else is threatening while being treated with a dose of hostility and the tote 'caveman' mentality over certain important
    situations (let's say politics) is conclusively, as far as their ignorance goes, irrelevant to their daily lives.

Absolutely NO intellectual conversation regarding politics, education or anything remotely global. Judgmental at BEST! And, they don't mind handing over a heavy dose of it if they think you don't measure up to THEIR standards! Help! I am drowning in a sea of stupidity. No one hears my screams of help or assistance and that too is as disheartening as the insincere and disingenuous inhabitants of this lowly place in the back-arse of Europe.

Small towns, within reason, can be safe havens from the predatory vultures from within larger and more competitive cities. However, some small towns breed contempt and self-serving 'big-fish'... 'little-fish' attitudes that foster self-fulfilling prophecies that maintain small minds and minimal acceptance of others.

These people are self-centered, self-interested, self-absorbed and their only interests lay in having someone else caring about them and THEIR concerns.... which are circuitous...and revolve again... around themselves!

On one side, you have, excuse my French, "le scumbag", and on the other, a bunch of pre-Madonna wannabee L.A trash full of stigma's, self-righteousness and that God aweful "holier than thou" attitude. And this is Dublin, I dread to see the rest of the country. Where are we headed?

I prefer the older Irish generation. The Celtic Tiger one, is lost in a sea of mediocrity.

I am at my wits ends. I moved last year to my boyfriends village. Tried to fit in join clubs etc all to no avail. Everyone talks about me yet no one talks to me. Tried talking to his family saying we ll have to move if they dont make a bit of an effort and they just say "Sure you cant leave your job" so basically if we move Im the bad b**** for making him move. His sister is the same age as me and i half expected her to make a bit of an effort with me but no .. she only called down to nose in on our house when we moved in and never called again! ive tried calling in a few times and they wouldnt even offer you a cup of tea. Everyone said join clubs etc, it s grand talking to people but there not friends as i know it. Its awful to feel that there is no one there if i need them. Its a big risk if we move to my hometown as he has a job for life here and will find it hard to find work in my home place. I have asked myself is it me but i worked over 40 mins away from here for 9 months and got on great with everyone and made friends. I just cant handle this place, the gossipin about me and teh loneliness and yet they dont understand cos they ve never left their comfort zone!
    Anyone else in the same boat. Should i stick it out for the sake of his job and risk becoming depressed or should we just get up and go?

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

Could someone explain small-minded thinking .I'll hazard a guess it is thinking that is'nt liberal enough for the new ideas that are about .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,799 ✭✭✭amacca

If an invading force somehow took a liking to this land, I wonder how this generation would act?

If they actually did invade and stayed here I reckon we would interbreed with them

make love not war!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

paddyandy wrote: »
    Could someone explain small-minded thinking .I'll hazard a guess it is thinking that is'nt liberal enough for the new ideas that are about .
    Selfish, introverted, and uncomfortable with change of any nature in my book.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭OneArt

I live in the Rhine-Ruhr "metropolis" in Germany, a bunch of cities all close to one another so it's quite varied and multicultural. I'm only a half an hour away from Dusseldorf which is considered to be a "vibrant" city. Yet even here there are small villages between the cities where people think exactly like that. I have met a couple of Germans from the city I live in who have never left the place, maybe gone on holiday down to the lake and they're in their late 40s.

People are like that everywhere you go. There are just fewer people in Ireland and more rural parts so it's more obvious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭WumBuster

Im with the op on this one. Coming from a rural background myself I can relate to alot of the allusions in the post. A lot of these people are so into farming, the catholic church, the GAA, and gossiping about neighbours that they never question any of it, only those who dare open their minds and if you do you are labelled ''that's towney talk'' I know because such bigotry exists even within my own immediate family.And i tell you how frustrating that can be when you are not interested in farming or what the neighbours get up to, little time for the church, ok into GAA a bit but other sports like soccer aswell(I got lambasted as a kid by local GAA heads for playing soccer) foreign game and all that nonsense.

Im not saying all small town/rural irish people are small minded bigots, nor am i in anyway a snob about my interest in more ''sophisticated'' things, but it can be kind of draining going home sometimes for a few days or a week listening to the same old nonsense. But each to their own, I just kinda live my life now the way i want to and dont let other's judgements or ideals effect me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

tricialou wrote: »
    I am at my wits ends. I moved last year to my boyfriends village. Tried to fit in join clubs etc all to no avail. Everyone talks about me yet no one talks to me. Tried talking to his family saying we ll have to move if they dont make a bit of an effort and they just say "Sure you cant leave your job" so basically if we move Im the bad b**** for making him move. His sister is the same age as me and i half expected her to make a bit of an effort with me but no .. she only called down to nose in on our house when we moved in and never called again! ive tried calling in a few times and they wouldnt even offer you a cup of tea. Everyone said join clubs etc, it s grand talking to people but there not friends as i know it. Its awful to feel that there is no one there if i need them. Its a big risk if we move to my hometown as he has a job for life here and will find it hard to find work in my home place. I have asked myself is it me but i worked over 40 mins away from here for 9 months and got on great with everyone and made friends. I just cant handle this place, the gossipin about me and teh loneliness and yet they dont understand cos they ve never left their comfort zone!
    Anyone else in the same boat. Should i stick it out for the sake of his job and risk becoming depressed or should we just get up and go?

Considering the post you quoted is nearly 2 years old, I'd say the OP wont answer you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Thatnastyboy

Christ, I started reading the first few pages then looked at the date :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭n900guy

Pace2008 wrote: »
    I think that would have been better aimed at the OP, who seems to have profiled the populace of an entire city as either shallow, faux-cosmopolitan airheads or feral scumbags.

Well it wasn't "an entire city" it was specifically Dublin, and so, pretty accurate.

No point in trying to generalise it out because of course then the comparison (faux-cosmopolitan airheads or feral scumbags) doesn't work. It's one of Dublin most unique selling points, like a sort of depressing alternative version of HG Wells' The Time Machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Anthony O Brien

Why is rent through the roof here? It's not London, Paris or NY so don't treat it as such. What has Dublin to offer to warrant such a steep price in living? Quality of life greater than this IS ELSEWHERE, people.

You are f***ing delusional if you think the rents in London, Paris and New York are cheaper than dublin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭SocSocPol

I reside, only temporarily, in Dublin, Ireland. This village is home of the gossip about others, what's happening about others and just pain boring, who died, who moved and generally local crap!

These small-town people are small-minded, arrogant about the nothingness is their lives, unfriendly, unworldly, unsophisticated and judgmental! These are folks who do nothing but frequent local drinking holes, watch Coronation Street; have the same jobs for 40 years and have only family as those in which they can rely. A nation of Heat magazine, having anything else is threatening while being treated with a dose of hostility and the tote 'caveman' mentality over certain important
    situations (let's say politics) is conclusively, as far as their ignorance goes, irrelevant to their daily lives.

Absolutely NO intellectual conversation regarding politics, education or anything remotely global. Judgmental at BEST! And, they don't mind handing over a heavy dose of it if they think you don't measure up to THEIR standards! Help! I am drowning in a sea of stupidity. No one hears my screams of help or assistance and that too is as disheartening as the insincere and disingenuous inhabitants of this lowly place in the back-arse of Europe.

Small towns, within reason, can be safe havens from the predatory vultures from within larger and more competitive cities. However, some small towns breed contempt and self-serving 'big-fish'... 'little-fish' attitudes that foster self-fulfilling prophecies that maintain small minds and minimal acceptance of others.

On one side, you have, excuse my French, "le scumbag", and on the other, a bunch of pre-Madonna wannabee L.A trash full of stigma's, self-righteousness and that God aweful "holier than thou" attitude. And this is Dublin, I dread to see the rest of the country. Where are we headed?

I prefer the older Irish generation. The Celtic Tiger one, is lost in a sea of mediocrity.
    What a load of utter trollish bollo*

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭guitarzero

The OP makes a very fair point, the intellectual deficit in this country is pretty stark.

Only thing is he's actually whinging about it. He's got 2 choices, to leave or to change everyone else. Make that one choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

SocSocPol wrote: »
    What a load of utter trollish bollo*
    guitarzero wrote: »
    The OP makes a very fair point, the intellectual deficit in this country is pretty stark.

Only thing is he's actually whinging about it. He's got 2 choices, to leave or to change everyone else. Make that one choice.

The OP hasn't posted for 2 years. No point arguing with him ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

Having lived in the UK and Continental Europe, I think I can say that the size and demographics of Ireland, under 4 million and only one major city by European standards, means that you don't quite get the range of people and personality that you do elsewhere.

Most small town and rural areas here are quite homogeneous and similar in lifestyle whether you be in Carlow, Laois or Sligo, although I do think there's a bit of variation in counties like Kerry,Cork and Galway where there's a constant touristic presence so the locals get a bit more exposure to other nationalities.

I think for the most part though it's down to the individual as regards their particular wont to travel, learn languages, discuss politics, art or culture and these type of more open individuals are randomly dotted around regardless of where they may be born.

I grew up in the London area and there's people there who've never been to Manchester and think Coventry is in the North of England, I've always found Londoncentricism a bit bizarre, why look downwards and inwards when you could be looking upwards and outwards at the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 439 ✭✭Ms.M

Trying to decide if the OP is an insightful high-functioning walrus or a just a deceiving homo sapien making weak generalisations......... :confused:

Advertisement