Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why Is Ireland So Small-Minded?

Options
  • 19-07-2010 6:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭

I reside, only temporarily, in Dublin, Ireland. This village is home of the gossip about others, what's happening about others and just pain boring, who died, who moved and generally local crap!

These small-town people are small-minded, arrogant about the nothingness is their lives, unfriendly, unworldly, unsophisticated and judgmental! These are folks who do nothing but frequent local drinking holes, watch Coronation Street; have the same jobs for 40 years and have only family as those in which they can rely. A nation of Heat magazine, having anything else is threatening while being treated with a dose of hostility and the tote 'caveman' mentality over certain important
    situations (let's say politics) is conclusively, as far as their ignorance goes, irrelevant to their daily lives.

Absolutely NO intellectual conversation regarding politics, education or anything remotely global. Judgmental at BEST! And, they don't mind handing over a heavy dose of it if they think you don't measure up to THEIR standards! Help! I am drowning in a sea of stupidity. No one hears my screams of help or assistance and that too is as disheartening as the insincere and disingenuous inhabitants of this lowly place in the back-arse of Europe.

Small towns, within reason, can be safe havens from the predatory vultures from within larger and more competitive cities. However, some small towns breed contempt and self-serving 'big-fish'... 'little-fish' attitudes that foster self-fulfilling prophecies that maintain small minds and minimal acceptance of others.

These people are self-centered, self-interested, self-absorbed and their only interests lay in having someone else caring about them and THEIR concerns.... which are circuitous...and revolve again... around themselves!

On one side, you have, excuse my French, "le scumbag", and on the other, a bunch of pre-Madonna wannabee L.A trash full of stigma's, self-righteousness and that God aweful "holier than thou" attitude. And this is Dublin, I dread to see the rest of the country. Where are we headed?

I prefer the older Irish generation. The Celtic Tiger one, is lost in a sea of mediocrity.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Which is why you resort to boards.ie to find that those topics are constantly debated, and yet in your mind you think we don't do anything like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

small heads

• Closed Accounts Posts: 921 ✭✭✭mehmeh12

OP what are you on about?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭caseyann

Em its always been like that! Have you been in cryogenics for centuries,or locked up in own little world.Its called people and its every where,every country every nation in world.
    Be thankful Irish still give a damn on the most for others even with their simple bickering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭barakus

soooo..where ya from yerself OP?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

You kinda sound like a fish out of water...

Have you tried the Artic?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

"Romantic Ireland's dead and gone, it's with O'Leary in the grave."

People have been spouting this ****e about the decline of society since time immemorial.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭plein de force

i bet you're the life and soul of the party OP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 458 ✭✭Boxoffrogs

I think that you must reside in an alternative Universe. Either that or you're just being a cheeky monkey!

Oh, and what exaclty is this much-vaunted "older Irish generation?" The bunch of curtain-twitching meddlers that turned a blind eye as their kids were beaten and buggered?

• Advertisement

Pace2008 wrote: »
    Oh, and what exaclty is this much-vaunted "older Irish generation?" The bunch of curtain-twitching meddlers that turned a blind eye as their kids were beaten and buggered?

Generalise much pace:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭I_AmThe_Walrus

barakus wrote: »
    soooo..where ya from yerself OP?

I'm Irish through and through. I am proud to be from this land, but I am not proud of the inhabitants mentality, the politics, the 'begrudging attitude' and the hostility to foreigners regarding that imbecile "get them out of here" line when it is in fact, those very people moving the economy along.

The older generation were brave, courageous and friendly. it seems certain they took that most friendliest people label with them on the boats to the USA. Perhaps, one could argue, that the diaspora are the REAL Irish and not us.

If an invading force somehow took a liking to this land, I wonder how this generation would act?

caseyann wrote: »
    Generalise much pace:rolleyes:
    I think that would have been better aimed at the OP, who seems to have profiled the populace of an entire city as either shallow, faux-cosmopolitan airheads or feral scumbags.

I think that would have been better aimed at the OP, who seems to have profiled the populace of an entire city as either shallow, faux-cosmopolitan airheads or feral scumbags.

You just said the older generation turned a blind eye to their kids been buggered.
    I already said as much to the op also.

I'm Irish through and through. I am proud to be from this land, but I am not proud of the inhabitants mentality, the politics, the 'begrudging attitude' and the hostility to foreigners regarding that imbecile "get them out of here" line when it is in fact, those very people moving the economy along.

The older generation were brave, courageous and friendly. it seems certain they took that most friendliest people label with them on the boats to the USA. Perhaps, one could argue, that the diaspora are the REAL Irish and not us.

If an invading force somehow took a liking to this land, I wonder how this generation would act?

Can i mention something humans have their faults for every generation and society they must live in.Think about it;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭up for anything

Judgmental at BEST!

You are.

Pompous at WORST!

caseyann wrote: »
    You just said the older generation turned a blind eye to their kids been buggered.
    I already said as much to the op also.
    I was being hyperbolic in the same fashion as the OP to highlight to absurdity of gross generalisation.

Some people tend to look at the past through rose-tinted glasses but the reality is that every generation has its own unique problems, and faraway hills may not appear so green upon closer inspection.

EDIT: I see you're saying the same thing.

I was being hyperbolic in the same fashion as the OP to highlight to absurdity of gross generalisation.

Some people tend to look at the past through rose-tinted glasses but the reality is that every generation has its own unique problems, and faraway hills may not appear so green upon closer inspection.

Ah i see sorry for misunderstanding :) I wrote same thing lol :D

lol just saw your edit hahaha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭Saermegil

Being from and having lived elsewhere in Europe, I have to say that the Irish, as a rule, are not as modern or sophisticated as some other people - but unfriendly or unwelcoming? Far from it! I really do like them despite their little faults ( and who doesn't have those? )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 nmblade

We certainly have problems as a society but to say all Irish people are small-minded is just generalising. But I agree with some of your points and yes we do have problems that are not going to solve themselves overnight.

The solution? Just get on with your life. I've often thought about this and formed the impression that the better informed and enlightened among us just keep tight-lipped and pursue the life they want to lead.

• Advertisement

It's harder to "get on" here too. Just look at the inflation over the last couple of years. Why are we paying double the price for cigarettes here than anywhere else? Why are we paying over 100% on food compared to other E.U countries? We don't have a rich culinary history like Italy, so wake up. Why are we exporting our best produce? Why are we living on **** and while being quite contempt with it, paying through the nose?

Why is rent through the roof here? It's not London, Paris or NY so don't treat it as such. What has Dublin to offer to warrant such a steep price in living? Quality of life greater than this IS ELSEWHERE, people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭Trekker09

Ciggies can never be too expensive OP :D

What drives me mad about Ireland is also what I love about it, but at different times. It can be very parochial and clannish, and I do think that we have an exagerated sense of being the life and soul of the European party. Don't forget OP, you canalways try and do something in and about your community, no matter how large or small.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

I reside, only temporarily, in Dublin, Ireland. This village is home of the gossip about others, what's happening about others and just pain boring, who died, who moved and generally local crap!

These small-town people are small-minded, arrogant about the nothingness is their lives, unfriendly, unworldly, unsophisticated and judgmental! These are folks who do nothing but frequent local drinking holes, watch Coronation Street; have the same jobs for 40 years and have only family as those in which they can rely. A nation of Heat magazine, having anything else is threatening while being treated with a dose of hostility and the tote 'caveman' mentality over certain important
    situations (let's say politics) is conclusively, as far as their ignorance goes, irrelevant to their daily lives.

Absolutely NO intellectual conversation regarding politics, education or anything remotely global. Judgmental at BEST! And, they don't mind handing over a heavy dose of it if they think you don't measure up to THEIR standards! Help! I am drowning in a sea of stupidity. No one hears my screams of help or assistance and that too is as disheartening as the insincere and disingenuous inhabitants of this lowly place in the back-arse of Europe.

Small towns, within reason, can be safe havens from the predatory vultures from within larger and more competitive cities. However, some small towns breed contempt and self-serving 'big-fish'... 'little-fish' attitudes that foster self-fulfilling prophecies that maintain small minds and minimal acceptance of others.

These people are self-centered, self-interested, self-absorbed and their only interests lay in having someone else caring about them and THEIR concerns.... which are circuitous...and revolve again... around themselves!

On one side, you have, excuse my French, "le scumbag", and on the other, a bunch of pre-Madonna wannabee L.A trash full of stigma's, self-righteousness and that God aweful "holier than thou" attitude. And this is Dublin, I dread to see the rest of the country. Where are we headed?

I prefer the older Irish generation. The Celtic Tiger one, is lost in a sea of mediocrity.
    Before Madonna?
    I could go on, but pointing out one mistake in a post about sophistication and intelligence is quite enough.
    It's harder to "get on" here too. Just look at the inflation over the last couple of years. Why are we paying double the price for cigarettes here than anywhere else? Why are we paying over 100% on food compared to other E.U countries? We don't have a rich culinary history like Italy, so wake up. Why are we exporting our best produce? Why are we living on **** and while being quite contempt with it, paying through the nose?

Why is rent through the roof here? It's not London, Paris or NY so don't treat it as such. What has Dublin to offer to warrant such a steep price in living? Quality of life greater than this IS ELSEWHERE, people.

Click here or here.

Oh yeah. I forgot the post colonial mentality bit.
    Irish people are, as a rule, bitter towards those with more stuff than them. It stems from landlords and traitors having money while the rest of the country was piss poor.
    While we have no experienced this ourselves, the mentality has been passed down through the generations. Except to me. I'm awesome.

nmblade wrote: »
    I've often thought about this and formed the impression that the better informed and enlightened among us just keep tight-lipped and pursue the life they want to lead.

Deep post.
    Trekker09 wrote: »
    It can be very parochial and clannish

Let's talk about backwardness. Just look at the Blasphemy Law...ridiculously insane at best.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Oh, another thread bitching about Ireland.

STFU and leave the country if you don't like it. Ranting behind your keyboard solves nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭Trekker09

IvySlayer wrote: »

STFU and leave the country if you don't like it. Ranting behind your keyboard solves nothing.

Err, what's the point in having forums them?

BTW great contribution starting a response with STFU :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 685 ✭✭✭Carlos_Ray

I reside, only temporarily, in Dublin, Ireland.

Thanks for clearing that up. So often people come on Boards.ie talking about Dublin in Gerogia USA.

IvySlayer wrote: »

That response doesn't warrant a response for the ignorance of it. A proper reply would be to ask the people why they feel said way.
    Carlos_Ray wrote: »
    Thanks for clearing that up. So often people come on Boards.ie talking about Dublin in Gerogia USA.

Yes, it's needed.

In fact, someone already asked where I was from. Scroll up.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Trekker09 wrote: »
    Err, what's the point in having forums them?

BTW great contribution starting a response with STFU :eek:

It's not called www.bitchaboutIrelanddespitethatitisagreatcountry.ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭talkingclock

Why?
    Limited Gen Pool. Everybody is everyones cousin...

Advertisement