Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why Is Ireland So Small-Minded?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭aDeener

Saermegil wrote: »
    Being from and having lived elsewhere in Europe, I have to say that the Irish, as a rule, are not as modern or sophisticated as some other people - but unfriendly or unwelcoming? Far from it! I really do like them despite their little faults ( and who doesn't have those? )

define "modern" and "sophisticated" :rolleyes:

we don't wallow in the smell of our own farts and pronounce "alan" as "a-lane" is that it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

Firstly I am Irish and proud to be but I can acknowledge that we, as a nation, have problems.

I agree that some of us are small-minded in certain things, for instance the tendancy to generalise. How many times on boards alone have people argued that 'all foreigners are spongers', 'all travellers are violent dirty criminals' 'all catholics/christians are deluded'or 'all priests are paedophiles'?

But that said there are also plenty of good things to say about the country too so OP don't do the generalising thing please, it helps no-one!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

Terry wrote: »
    Huh?

I think he is referring to the Exile of high skilled/educated workers that is likely to take place due to the economic down town and lack of opportunities here compared to other countries.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

If an invading force somehow took a liking to this land, I wonder how this generation would act?

with open arms... as has been done various times through out our history... the Irish were only oppressed when the upper classes of society were fed up with being told what to do by London..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 444 ✭✭RainbowRose81

well, there is alot of stupid people in dublin, well not stupid people, just people who do not know how to use their heads, many seemed to be joined to the hip following others and not use their own mind and form their own opinion, they let themselves be influenced by others. Im from the north west most of the people there are sincere, honest and you have can have conversation with them. You could'nt call alot of people down here cultured, sincere, sophisicated and intelligent. Many of them are discriminating, racist, judgemental and small minded. Many of the older generation are okay and normal. I noticed that a good few of the young people down here are clanish ,false and abit racist, and small minded. its us from my own experiences doesn't necessarily mean they are always like that. I will probably get alot of angry replies by dublin people now saying go back to the country because it seems coountry people arn't liked down here.

• Advertisement

well, there is alot of stupid people in dublin, well not stupid people, just people who do not know how to use their heads, many seemed to be joined to the hip following others and not use their own mind and form their own opinion, they let themselves be influenced by others. Im from the north west most of the people there are sincere, honest and you have can have conversation with them. You could'nt call alot of people down here cultured, sincere, sophisicated and intelligent. Many of them are discriminating, racist, judgemental and small minded. Many of the older generation are okay and normal. I noticed that a good few of the young people down here are clanish ,false and abit racist, and small minded. its us from my own experiences doesn't necessarily mean they are always like that. I will probably get alot of angry replies by dublin people now saying go back to the country because it seems coountry people arn't liked down here.

No angry reply, just curious why you figure a majority of the countries population(i.e. those living in Dublin) can all be tarred with the same brush so easily? IMO this is the small mindedness that the Op mentioned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I sympathize with your plight OP.

Perhaps the mistake you're making is seeking meaningful intercourse with humans. Are there any other angst-ridden marine mammals in your area?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 377 ✭✭AAAAAAAHHH

"Pre-Madonna", lolz.

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Vomit

"there are a lot of".... stupid people everywhere. That's life.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Waestrel

Jumpy wrote: »
    Please cross Darwin off that list, its a ****hole, but please dont compare it to rural Ireland.

Darwin! Darwin is not a hole of any kind, it is the finest place on the Australian landmass, everything wants you dead though.

• Advertisement

hobochris wrote: »
    No angry reply, just curious why you figure a majority of the countries population(i.e. those living in Dublin) can all be tarred with the same brush so easily? IMO this is the small mindedness that the Op mentioned.

im not tarring everyone with the same brush but there is 1.3 million people in dublin more people in this little little space that anywhere else in ireland. I am talking from my own experiences, Im telling it like it is. I have lived here for 3 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,342 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Why is rent through the roof here? It's not London, Paris or NY so don't treat it as such. What has Dublin to offer to warrant such a steep price in living? Quality of life greater than this IS ELSEWHERE, people.

greed, plain and simple, during the boom you would be lucky to get a bed in a dorm room in a run-down dublin hostel for €30 :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 485 ✭✭Elenxor

I hear Alaska is very nice!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭thirtythirty

im not tarring everyone with the same brush but there is 1.3 million people in dublin more people in this little little space that anywhere else in ireland. I am talking from my own experiences, Im telling it like it is. I have lived here for 3 years.

Where area do you live in, and what sector do you work in, if you don't mind me asking?
    It's just that in the last 3 days i've come across your posts, and all have jumped out at me as a "huh?". I reckon we think in entirely different ways, and i'd just be interested to know whether your environment (living area + co-workers etc) have had any influence on how you approach things.

No worries if you don't want to disclose that kind of information though!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭Noffles

If you think Dublin is bad try living in one of the small towns... Gorey for instance.... holy ****..... what a **** hole!
    And I've seen the true side of stupid people and begrudgery... and it's oh so ugly!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

hobochris wrote: »
    I think he is referring to the Exile of high skilled/educated workers that is likely to take place due to the economic down town and lack of opportunities here compared to other countries.
    Huh?

Terry wrote: »
    Huh?

He means the thousands of Philosophy and Classics Studies graduates being forced to emigrate and pontificate in Irish bars worldwide.

stovelid wrote: »
    He means the thousands of Philosophy and Classics Studies graduates being forced to emigrate and pontificate in Irish bars worldwide.

No ,I meant people qualified to work in useful a profession. :D

Where area do you live in, and what sector do you work in, if you don't mind me asking?
    It's just that in the last 3 days i've come across your posts, and all have jumped out at me as a "huh?". I reckon we think in entirely different ways, and i'd just be interested to know whether your environment (living area + co-workers etc) have had any influence on how you approach things.

No worries if you don't want to disclose that kind of information though!

Well i live in dublin 7. Yea i usually think differnt from alot of people, im not good or special my approach isn't different , I just think different thats all i can see throught things a good few times to the way how it is. You seem to be very interested in me reading throught my posts or remembering my posts you could of pm me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭I_AmThe_Walrus

Sorry I really need to point out our salaries are also miles higher, everything is relative, I actually think we pay too little for food, farmers are getting sweet f all for their efforts. There was a time in this country when a weeks work would barely cover groceries, and meat was a luxury, now we complain when 10min work buys a decent loaf? People need to get real. Oh and by the way Italy doesn't have that rich a culinary history its the same as ours, they make the same kind of things just in different ways, guess what ragu translates to? STEW!!

Also we export most of our produce because we produce more than we consume.. its quite simple really..

And rent is again relative to income, back to Italy - from personal experience their rent in city locations was higher than ours for years, they only matched up at the height of the boom.

Now back to the OP, If you honestly think the US represents the best of Irish you've got a screw loose, and yes your generalized view exists but theres always someone to have a decent conversation with (Its statistics, if you appreciate intelligence you'll appreciate that), maybe your not sociable enough?

Nice of you to chime in but I will have to disagree with some of your points. Firstly, how can you compare Irish cooking with the finest Parisian culinary tradition/history or Italian cuisine? Yet, we're paying through the nose for it. I've eaten in the Eiffel Tower for goodness sake and prices are comparable to that of any "upmarket" back-alley Dublin rip-off joint, you'd be hard pressed to call a 'restaurant'.

Secondly, with regards to the farmers not being paid enough for their work should precipitate a national emergency at Government level because I still don't see the need why we pay double the price in a supermarket for food, alcohol and cigarettes, not to mention electronics and the tax imposed of said items being imported here. It's just blatantly all extortion. Daylight robbery in it's purest and most shameless form.

On to the diaspora - people have a habit of nit-picking particular words out of the written piece and twisting it around. Granted, I said perhaps the diaspora were "more Irish" than us and who are we to say they're not? From my experience, Irish Americans, Irish Australians and those who populate Britain of an Irish descendant seem to have a closer connection with who they really are as opposed to a population on this island who couldn't give a damn about the heritage but will shout day and night about how foreigners are ruining the country. Ireland has some serious issues regarding xenophobes, homophobes and racism, quite ironic when we were, in fact, the victims of such discrimination many years ago.

I'm at a loss for words when I read you state that you think food prices should go up...I'm guessing you haven't lived elsewhere to picture your life and the improved quality of it all once outside the ridiculous and laughable cost of living here. Can you honestly sit there and say that the huge rent costs are warranted for a city of one million people that offers very little in comparison to London, New York, Sao Paulo or as you mentioned, Italy? I think not. Also, our salaries are NOT higher. I know from personal experience and those from friends/family members who have had issues since this recession.

I love Ireland as much as the next person. But I don't think we should say everything is all gravy and accept it. We can't hide away and being critical of something is not counter-productive, but beneficial.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

Sorry I really need to point out our salaries are also miles higher, everything is relative, I actually think we pay too little for food, farmers are getting sweet f all for their efforts. There was a time in this country when a weeks work would barely cover groceries, and meat was a luxury, now we complain when 10min work buys a decent loaf? People need to get real. Oh and by the way Italy doesn't have that rich a culinary history its the same as ours, they make the same kind of things just in different ways, guess what ragu translates to? STEW!!

Also we export most of our produce because we produce more than we consume.. its quite simple really..

And rent is again relative to income, back to Italy - from personal experience their rent in city locations was higher than ours for years, they only matched up at the height of the boom.

Now back to the OP, If you honestly think the US represents the best of Irish you've got a screw loose, and yes your generalized view exists but theres always someone to have a decent conversation with (Its statistics, if you appreciate intelligence you'll appreciate that), maybe your not sociable enough?

No man seriously, "Italy doesn't have a rich culinary history its the same as ours" Are you on heroin or something? How can you even compare Ireland's culinary history to Italy's? Please flick through this (sorry its wikipedia). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Italian_cuisine The diversity of ingredients in Italian food is mind blowing to me anyway and Irish food is worth zero compared to Italian food.

But I don't think we should say everything is all gravy and accept it.

OK, nice soundbite, but who here is actually saying that? The general tone in the posts so far seems to be 'ok, it's not perfect, but things could be worse'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

OP's first Boards post...

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=66369277#post66369277

The rest are full of whining & complaints, just as the ones in this thread. The sooner he moves to London & stops whinging about Ireland, the better, IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭barbiegirl

OP looking at you original post are you not guilty of all you just accused us of being. Small minded, bigotted etc.
    As to Irish cooking I can guaruntee you that good Irish food is as good as Italian (I know I cook both) and also that bad Irish food is just as bad as bad Italian.
    I've lived in Dublin for 15 years and find the people to be open, friendly, intelligent and generally easy to get along with.
    You sound home sick. I always say if you don't like something move on. You don't like Dublin or the Irish well enough said.
    • Gossip is a form of social interaction engaged in by all human societies as a means to bond.
    • Relying on ones family hardly a crime.
    • Having a good gang of mates again seems to be a good thing.
    • The problems with the economy everyone in Ireland needs to take some responsibility, we didn't refuse the mortgages, increased wages, lower taxes etc.
    • The price of cigarettes, the higher the better.
    Everywhere has problems, what is the saying don't take the splinter from my eye until you remove the plank from your own :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

barbiegirl wrote: »
    The price of cigarettes, the higher the better.

I HATE YOU PEOPLE :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

OP's first Boards post...

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=66369277#post66369277

The rest are full of whining & complaints, just as the ones in this thread. The sooner he moves to London & stops whinging about Ireland, the better, IMO.

Yup I agree, GET A BLOG live journal account.

On a more serious note OP, you're more than young enough to take off and try a few places. You might find one that fits; you might find that everywhere has its problems and make peace with your own country - but at least you'd know.

Why not give it a try? By the sounds of it, if you stay here, you stew away and that's not good for anyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭I_AmThe_Walrus

stovelid wrote: »
    On a more serious note OP, you're more than young enough to take off and try a few places. You might find one that fits; you might find that everywhere has its problems and make peace with your own country - but at least you'd know.

Why not give it a try? By the sounds of it, if you stay here, you stew away and that's not good for anyone.

FF should hand over power to boards.ie. We have some good ideas and no doubt we'll do a better job. :)

Well, most of us anyway...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

Nice of you to chime in but I will have to disagree with some of your points. Firstly, how can you compare Irish cooking with the finest Parisian culinary tradition/history or Italian cuisine? Yet, we're paying through the nose for it. I've eaten in the Eiffel Tower for goodness sake and prices are comparable to that of any "upmarket" back-alley Dublin rip-off joint, you'd be hard pressed to call a 'restaurant'.
    When my cousins come over from Italy they fill suitcases with smoked salmon, white pudding and whisky. Whilst they are here I am expected to make apple tarts, fools, Sunday roasts, Irish stews, and monster fry-ups. You just think Italian and French food is exotic and seeped in culinary history because its foreign to you, in just the same way as they marvel at my prowess in boilin' the sh*te out of food because the concept is foreign to them.
    Secondly, with regards to the farmers not being paid enough for their work should precipitate a national emergency at Government level because I still don't see the need why we pay double the price in a supermarket for food, alcohol and cigarettes, not to mention electronics and the tax imposed of said items being imported here. It's just blatantly all extortion. Daylight robbery in it's purest and most shameless form.
    I'm not quite following how that point makes sense, or what relevance it has to farmers, but with regards to VAT, it isn't really that high, its above average certainly but its not anything to go mad over, and I must reiterate my previous statement, relative to income we pay f all for foodstuff. With regards to alcohol and cigarettes, I'm a lover of both myself (in fact I'm tipsily lighting a cigarette as I type) but neither are necessities so it really is ridiculous to complain about their pricing as though it were of any actual importance, the only issue I have with taxation on cigarettes is that they claim it is for health reasons, if I could see that the income on tobacco products at least equaled the money spent on lung cancer treatment and research I would be happy.
    On to the diaspora - people have a habit of nit-picking particular words out of the written piece and twisting it around. Granted, I said perhaps the diaspora were "more Irish" than us and who are we to say they're not? From my experience, Irish Americans, Irish Australians and those who populate Britain of an Irish descendant seem to have a closer connection with who they really are as opposed to a population on this island who couldn't give a damn about the heritage but will shout day and night about how foreigners are ruining the country.
    Yes I absolutely agree, after all, why else would the I.R.A. go to the states to raise funds?
    Ireland has some serious issues regarding xenophobes, homophobes and racism, quite ironic when we were, in fact, the victims of such discrimination many years ago.
    Let me rephrase that, some Irish people are xenophobes, homophobes, and racists. Generally I find the prevailing attitude is to each their own, anyone can do what ever they fancy so long as it doesn't infringe on ones rights, and to be honest I think thats a lovely outlook, they accept something is not for them and don't get involved, far better than the PC bull that the UK, US, and media in general are in love with.
    I'm at a loss for words when I read you state that you think food prices should go up...I'm guessing you haven't lived elsewhere to picture your life and the improved quality of it all once outside the ridiculous and laughable cost of living here. Can you honestly sit there and say that the huge rent costs are warranted for a city of one million people that offers very little in comparison to London, New York, Sao Paulo or as you mentioned, Italy? I think not. Also, our salaries are NOT higher. I know from personal experience and those from friends/family members who have had issues since this recession.
    Oh for the love of ****, you give out to me for "nit-picking particular words out of the written piece and twisting it around" and then do it yourself? I said we shouldn't complain, not that food prices should go up. And our salaries are insanely good, have a look at minimum wages across the EU and maybe you'll get it. I believe the basic necessities of life should take up the vast majority of our income, that goes for rent too. I don't think much of anecdotes btw, your own personal ability to get by says more for you than the raw materials your given.
    I love Ireland as much as the next person. But I don't think we should say everything is all gravy and accept it. We can't hide away and being critical of something is not counter-productive, but beneficial.
    Your being critical of something because you dislike it, yes the recession sucks, yes some people suck, and yes governmental policy is a bit slow but get on with it, nothings going to get better if all anyone can do is offer up arguments fitting of a mildly senile old man in a pub.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

patneve2 wrote: »
    No man seriously, "Italy doesn't have a rich culinary history its the same as ours" Are you on heroin or something? How can you even compare Ireland's culinary history to Italy's? Please flick through this (sorry its wikipedia). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Italian_cuisine The diversity of ingredients in Italian food is mind blowing to me anyway and Irish food is worth zero compared to Italian food.
    I'm Irish-Italian, just so you know, it really isn't as amazing as you think. And I have to say Darina Allen is a ponce but many a year ago she released a book, its name escapes me at the moment, I'll try to remember for you but its a huge volume of traditional Irish recipes, its a wonderful read and it really illustrates the diversity of Irish cookery, most of which seems to be dying out but anyway.. it includes all forms of meat that we seem to have shunned such as game birds and venison, along with fruits and veg we no longer eat, and fantastic methods of preparing both. Just as Italian food seems to have been whittled down to not much more than pizza and pasta, Irish food has been left with hang* n' cabbage, we do have more I promise!

Also as I stated above it really is a case of theres nothing special about the food you're used to, I always loved things like boiled ham and spuds with mountains of butter because growing up I lived on a Mediterranean diet, hang was something special I only got when I visited grannys!

*thats ham to the non culchies out there..

EDIT: found the book, its one of many..

Advertisement