Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why Is Ireland So Small-Minded?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 685 ✭✭✭Carlos_Ray

That response doesn't warrant a response for the ignorance of it. A proper reply would be to ask the people why they feel said way.

Yes, it's needed.

In fact, someone already asked where I was from. Scroll up.

So? I'm from Paris, FRANCE. I don't go on about it. Neither do I go on about my holidays in Rome, ITALY, or London , ENGLAND. Maybe because I assume that people on boards are comfortable with primary school geography.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭I_AmThe_Walrus

IvySlayer wrote: »

Why do you say that? Upon what time, did you reach a factual conclusion where you discovered that Ireland was a great country? Are you a seasoned economist? Politically savvy? Expert on Irish psychoanalyst research?

In what sense?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Why?
    Limited Gen Pool. Everybody is everyones cousin...
    Do you have any hot female cousins?
    If so, my number is available via PM.

Why do you say that? Upon what time, did you reach a factual conclusion where you discovered that Ireland was a great country? Are you a seasoned economist? Politically savvy? Expert on Irish psychoanalyst research?

In what sense?
    In what sense?
    It's not ****ing Somalia.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

In what sense?

:pac:

Now I know you're only here to wind us up! Hard luck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭The Waltzing Consumer

:p Fake rant, I like it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 nmblade

One thing that bugs me about Ireland is this embracing of mediocrity and a built in inferiority complex I've experienced on more than one occasion.

How the hell are we ever going to move forwards as a country and become competitive with the world in all aspects? We need to diverge away from such inwardness, open our eyes to the wider world and address how we can get ourselves out of this current mess. This should ensure that the next time we enter a recession it wont be so severe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭I_AmThe_Walrus

Terry wrote: »
    In what sense?
    It's not ****ing Somalia.
    :pac:

Now I know you're only here to wind us up! Hard luck!

Somalia is the way it is because of corruption. Granted, ours is not as bad, but it exists. I'm not here to act stupid or troll. I am very much interested in learning what his/her views are on why they think we're a great country. It's a worthwhile debate.

I mean, don't we receive a large percentage of our total income from the E.U? Would we be self-sustainable with an equal infrastructure without it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭The Waltzing Consumer

Somalia is the way it is because of corruption. Granted, ours is not as bad, but it exists. I'm not here to act stupid or troll. I am very much interested in learning what his/her views are on why they think we're a great country. It's a worthwhile debate.

I mean, don't we receive a large percentage of our total income from the E.U? Would we be self-sustainable with an equal infrastructure without it?

One minute you are moaning about Irish conversations, then cigarette prices, then rent, now it's a debate on why we think we are a great country, now its sustainability and EU membership.

:rolleyes: trolling and stupid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭twinQuins

Oh, another thread bitching about Ireland.

Oh, another thread shitter.
    STFU and leave the country if you don't like it.

Why don't you make your own thread about how much you love Ireland, then?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

I mean, don't we receive a large percentage of our total income from the E.U?

No. Ireland is a net contributor by many calculations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭cypharius

Hey, I'm happy here. I've been to many, many countries, and it's all pretty much the same everywhere that's rich.

Don't like it, move to somalia. Visas won't be hard to get.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

I reside, only temporarily, in Dublin, Ireland. This village is home of the gossip about others, what's happening about others and just pain boring, who died, who moved and generally local crap!

These small-town people are small-minded, arrogant about the nothingness is their lives, unfriendly, unworldly, unsophisticated and judgmental! These are folks who do nothing but frequent local drinking holes, have the same jobs for 40 years and have only family as those in which they can rely.

Absolutely NO intellectual conversation regarding politics, education or anything remotely global. Judgmental at BEST! And, they don't mind handing over a heavy dose of it if they think you don't measure up to THEIR standards! Help! I am drowning in a sea of stupidity. No one hears my screams of help or assistance and that too is as disheartening as the insincere and disingenuous inhabitants of this lowly place.

Small towns, within reason, can be safe havens from the predatory vultures from within larger and more competitive cities. However, some small towns breed contempt and self-serving 'big-fish'... 'little-fish' attitudes that foster self-fulfilling prophecies that maintain small minds and minimal acceptance of others.

These people are self-centered, self-interested, self-absorbed and their only interests lay in having someone else caring about them and THEIR concerns.... which are circuitous...and revolve again... around themselves!

And this is Dublin, I dread to see the rest of the country. Where are we headed?

Signed Oliver Cromwell.

"Catch my next stop in Drogheda".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭epgc3fyqirnbsx

Cheer up OP, it's not a bad life

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Oh, another thread bitching about Ireland.

STFU and leave the country if you don't like it. Ranting behind your keyboard solves nothing.

I should have this saved in notepad somewhere. That way I can drag it out whenever I see the "If you dont like it, leave" comments.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=64752477&postcount=14

Unfortunately people are following your advice. The brain drain will pretty much take all the talent out of your country in very short order.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

OP with the exception of the metropoli (think thats the correct plural:D) of the world you'll find most places quite local and parochial and Ireland is no more so than any other. Visit cities like Palermo, Bologna, Santander, Porto, Stuttgart, Eindhoven, San Diego, Durban, Darwin etc etc etc and you'll fidn the exact same sort of mannerisms that you describe. Its only in the London, New Yorks and Sao Paolos of this world you'll find big international scenes and even within those cities a very small segment of them. Visit somewhere like West Brompton in London and see how much more 'exciting' it is.....

Jumpy wrote: »
    I should have this saved in notepad somewhere. That way I can drag it out whenever I see the "If you dont like it, leave" comments.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=64752477&postcount=14

Unfortunately people are following your advice. The brain drain will pretty much take all the talent out of your country in very short order.
    Huh?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

OP with the exception of the metropoli (think thats the correct plural:D) of the world you'll find most places quite local and parochial and Ireland is no more so than any other. Visit cities like Palermo, Bologna, Santander, Porto, Stuttgart, Eindhoven, San Diego, Durban, Darwin etc etc etc and you'll fidn the exact same sort of mannerisms that you describe. Its only in the London, New Yorks and Sao Paolos of this world you'll find big international scenes and even within those cities a very small segment of them. Visit somewhere like West Brompton in London and see how much more 'exciting' it is.....

Please cross Darwin off that list, its a ****hole, but please dont compare it to rural Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

I reside, only temporarily, in Dublin, Ireland. This village is home of the gossip about others, what's happening about others and just pain boring, who died, who moved and generally local crap!

These small-town people are small-minded, arrogant about the nothingness is their lives, unfriendly, unworldly, unsophisticated and judgmental! These are folks who do nothing but frequent local drinking holes, watch Coronation Street; have the same jobs for 40 years and have only family as those in which they can rely. A nation of Heat magazine, having anything else is threatening while being treated with a dose of hostility and the tote 'caveman' mentality over certain important
    situations (let's say politics) is conclusively, as far as their ignorance goes, irrelevant to their daily lives.

Absolutely NO intellectual conversation regarding politics, education or anything remotely global. Judgmental at BEST! And, they don't mind handing over a heavy dose of it if they think you don't measure up to THEIR standards! Help! I am drowning in a sea of stupidity. No one hears my screams of help or assistance and that too is as disheartening as the insincere and disingenuous inhabitants of this lowly place in the back-arse of Europe.

Small towns, within reason, can be safe havens from the predatory vultures from within larger and more competitive cities. However, some small towns breed contempt and self-serving 'big-fish'... 'little-fish' attitudes that foster self-fulfilling prophecies that maintain small minds and minimal acceptance of others.

These people are self-centered, self-interested, self-absorbed and their only interests lay in having someone else caring about them and THEIR concerns.... which are circuitous...and revolve again... around themselves!

On one side, you have, excuse my French, "le scumbag", and on the other, a bunch of pre-Madonna wannabee L.A trash full of stigma's, self-righteousness and that God aweful "holier than thou" attitude. And this is Dublin, I dread to see the rest of the country. Where are we headed?

I prefer the older Irish generation. The Celtic Tiger one, is lost in a sea of mediocrity.

dublin the village?????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

These small-town people are small-minded, arrogant about the nothingness is their lives, unfriendly, unworldly, unsophisticated and judgmental! These are folks who do nothing but frequent local drinking holes, watch Coronation Street; have the same jobs for 40 years and have only family as those in which they can rely. A nation of Heat magazine, having anything else is threatening while being treated with a dose of hostility and the tote 'caveman' mentality over certain important
    situations (let's say politics) is conclusively, as far as their ignorance goes, irrelevant to their daily lives.

Absolutely NO intellectual conversation regarding politics, education or anything remotely global. Judgmental at BEST! And, they don't mind handing over a heavy dose of it if they think you don't measure up to THEIR standards! Help! I am drowning in a sea of stupidity. No one hears my screams of help or assistance and that too is as disheartening as the insincere and disingenuous inhabitants of this lowly place in the back-arse of Europe.

On one side, you have, excuse my French, "le scumbag", and on the other, a bunch of pre-Madonna wannabee L.A trash full of stigma's, self-righteousness and that God aweful "holier than thou" attitude. And this is Dublin, I dread to see the rest of the country. Where are we headed?

I prefer the older Irish generation. The Celtic Tiger one, is lost in a sea of mediocrity.

Strange how most of my friends, work collegues and neighbours are pretty much the exact opposite to what you describe above. Maybe if you find that most of the people you know are assholes it has far more to do with the type of person you are yourself and therefore attract. I often find that certain types of people tend to be drawn to each other. Something to think about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,661 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

isn't gossip 95 per cent of human communication? if so i doubt what you experience here is unique to Ireland.

besides as Oscar Wilde once said the only worse thing than being talked about, is not being talked about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

OP with the exception of the metropoli (think thats the correct plural:D)

Pedant's corner: Metropoli would be correct if the word derived from Latin, but as it's Greek the correct plural would be "metropoleis" although people normally use the anglicised version which is "metropolises".

Thank you, I'm here all week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

You think Dublin is a village?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭neil_hosey

I hate paying 6 euro for a pint of guinness in temple bar.. when its only brewed a mile down the road..

there i said it! AGAIN :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭IT-Guy

isn't gossip 95 per cent of human communication? if so i doubt what you experience here is unique to Ireland.

besides as Oscar Wilde once said the only worse thing than being talked about, is not being talked about.

It's a very apt saying. I've come across this mentality many times and I think it leads to people being afraid to do something for fear of being talked about, as if it's a bad thing in general. It seems to induce a state of paranoia, that someone somewhere is watching them at all times and they must be on their best behavior for fear of humiliation. Reminds me of religion...oh wait!

As for narrow mindedness, Ireland is like any other in that respect. It's an attitude I associate with immaturity, when people grow up a bit they realise the world isn't as scary or dangerous as they believe/were taught and open themselves up to new experiences and possibilities, a little bit of enlightenment I suppose! Those that don't 'leave the village' either physically or mentally during their life will never know their own narrow mindedness so it's not for anyone else to worry about! Pain in the ass to deal with though...

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Vomit

Firstly, the term you're searching for is 'Prima Donna', darling.

Secondly, I'd bet my life these kinds of posts come from early 20 somethings who have never set foot outside the country. You haven't seen gossiping, ill-informed small-mindedness until you've lived in certain parts of Yorkshire. I should add that people only know about the attitudes of people in their immediate environs. Don't like your town? Move town.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Superbus

OP, I was like you once. Making pretentious superiority complex threads for no reason other than to possibly find support for my idea, but ultimately just being laughed at for it.

If you're not a complete and utter troll, then you'll be ashamed of that post in a couple of weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

It's harder to "get on" here too. Just look at the inflation over the last couple of years. Why are we paying double the price for cigarettes here than anywhere else? Why are we paying over 100% on food compared to other E.U countries? We don't have a rich culinary history like Italy, so wake up. Why are we exporting our best produce? Why are we living on **** and while being quite contempt with it, paying through the nose?

Why is rent through the roof here? It's not London, Paris or NY so don't treat it as such. What has Dublin to offer to warrant such a steep price in living? Quality of life greater than this IS ELSEWHERE, people.

Sorry I really need to point out our salaries are also miles higher, everything is relative, I actually think we pay too little for food, farmers are getting sweet f all for their efforts. There was a time in this country when a weeks work would barely cover groceries, and meat was a luxury, now we complain when 10min work buys a decent loaf? People need to get real. Oh and by the way Italy doesn't have that rich a culinary history its the same as ours, they make the same kind of things just in different ways, guess what ragu translates to? STEW!!

Also we export most of our produce because we produce more than we consume.. its quite simple really..

And rent is again relative to income, back to Italy - from personal experience their rent in city locations was higher than ours for years, they only matched up at the height of the boom.

Now back to the OP, If you honestly think the US represents the best of Irish you've got a screw loose, and yes your generalized view exists but theres always someone to have a decent conversation with (Its statistics, if you appreciate intelligence you'll appreciate that), maybe your not sociable enough?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

pre-Madonna
    lolx

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

a bunch of pre-Madonna wannabee L.A trash

Louise Ciccone?

Advertisement