Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Nexus Thread *Spoilers*

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,648 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

DM-ICE wrote: »
    The spirit squad? Seriously? The guys that used to dress as male cheer leaders and use a trampoline in their offensive arsenal? The Gimmick destroyed them. Just because they were a group doesn't make their future comparable when Nexus were always portrayed as serious while the spirit squad were always a joke because of the gimmick they had.

You clearly never watched them then, as Kenny Dykstra was an incredible performer and the rest were very good, Dolph Ziggler is the IC champion (the only surviving member) Your damn right in what you said, "the gimmick destroyed them", and thats the point I'm making, no matter how good an athlete, bad booking kills them. I also believe the Spirit Squad were tag team champions so that qualifies them as "serious" no?
    Its about credentials, Gabriel and Slater are former tag champs and when Nexus dissolve that stat will be used and will help them. Slater will always be able to say he pinned Jericho etc (The way Jericho says he beat The Rock and Austin on the same night). Gabriel can say he pinned Cena twice. These are things that give them a background and increases their chance of success.

That means shag all, Jim Ross can say he pinned Triple H, as did the Brooklyn Brawler, that doesn't give them any credentials.
    Cena was fired for all of Two minutes as WWE wanted Cena to stay on TV. Which you should understand if you recognise the guys profile and HBK, Batista, Jericho and HHH are not Retired/Injured/On Secondment.

Fine, I'm thrilled WWE wanted Cena on TV, but its completely poor booking. What legitimacy does being fired have if they can appear week in, week out, it devalues the point of any wrestler being fired if they can just show up every week. That makes WWE look stupid more than anyone else.
    WWE didn't want Nexus ripping WWE apart they wanted a feud for Cena. I would have taken him TV too but WWE were understandably reluctant and it gave ammunition to Punk for the current storyline so it achieved something too.

No I see you point, I don't like the fact Cena is getting the better of Nexus in the long run (But since he is a face he has too) but you miss the point of the storyline. Its not about Nexus in the long run. Its about a way to keep Cena out of other peoples way for a while.

I agree with you, and my point is that its a waste of fresh talent.
    Nexus had the upper hand over Cena long enough, he had to Join Nexus, was fired and then got some revenge, now Nexus have the upper hand again, adding Punk to the mix makes it Fresh. We are on the road to wrestlemania, even booking individuals from Nexus stronger wouldn't have provided the group with the legs to get to mania against Cena without adding something new.

Did they really have the upper hand though? In story maybe, but in reality he beat the crap out of Nexus members WHILE in Nexus and he was fired yet remained on TV beating the crap out of Nexus.
    Also if the likes of Otunga, Tarver and Young disappear will you really be sorry?

Yes I will to an extent, I think Tarver and Young have great potential, and I'd much rather see WWE develop new talent than rely on Kane, The Undertaker, Rey Mysterio etc, talent that has been on top for the last decade, because when these guys retire, unless talent has been built up, they'll need to fast track talent to the top as opposed to guys being viewed as working their way up.
    I think your missing the whole point of Nexus. Nexus was never about establishing 7 new super stars, it was about freshening things up.

Thats an opinion, different to mine, but it aint a fact.
    In the time you wanted WWE to make Nexus Stronger, WWE have used the Nexus Distraction to Crown Miz as Champion, Push Daniel Bryan, Push Morrison and most importantly establish another desperately needed uber face in Randy Orton.

The time WWE would of used to Establish Nexus Members would take chances away from other people. People that have put in the years to deserve a push like Morrison, Bryan and Miz. They wouldn't have got a chance and Randy Orton would never have lasted as a face if Cena was in his way. In fact WWE were able to use Nexus to get Cena and Orton on screen at the same time to get them both even more over as faces.

Miz yes, but he's being booked horribly (in my opinion) anyway, as he sneakily won the title and has now been defeated by Lawler which helps nobody, but thats a different story.

Bryan has been booked very well, although the Bella twins are slightly weird.

And Orton has been like that pre-Nexus, and in fairness he's hardly been built up to be entertaining in anyway, but that again is my opinion.
    It has to be remembered Nexus members are only around 7 months, if individuals are good enough they will get a chance but I am delighted with the overall impact Nexus have had on WWE.

Thats fine and I'm glad you are delighted buy I am far from "missing the point" as you continually point out in nearly every paragraph. I understand what WWE are doing that this is more about Cena tha Nexus, I just think its pathetic considering the fact that they have these new guys with potential and infinite possiblities (as they are new) and are feeding them to Cena, because at this rate they will eventually disband and fall away.

When they arrived in WWE they made a huge statement and shocked the world really, and now they're simply jobbers to Cena. That may well be what was intended (I didn't miss that point ;) ), but its a huge waste of potential, purely to make Cena look stronger (despite the fact that he already looks ridiculously strong)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

This is getting pointless. Two of us think it was booked idiotically and two of us don't. Same way that two of us think Cena sucks and the other will respond with Lets Go Cena. I think that is all we will agree on.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,648 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

This is getting pointless. Two of us think it was booked idiotically and two of us don't. Same way that two of us think Cena sucks and the other will respond with Lets Go Cena. I think that is all we will agree on.

I disagree! ;)

Haha yeah, agreeing to disagree is probably best!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,347 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

r1ihy1.gif

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,199 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Of course its pointless :pac:. Unless one of us is Vince or HHH that is.

I am honestly delighted to see ye guys sticking up for Nexus and genuinely hoping they would of been booked stronger.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,442 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Just saw this picture over on another board and thougth i'd share...

barrettmugshot.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

Just saw this picture over on another board and thougth i'd share...

barrettmugshot.jpg

why is this the first thing i thought when i seen above:

andre-the-giant.jpg

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Something that's been bothering me; Barrett/Nexus initially kept prophesising that there's a bigger plan in the works than just eliminating John Cena (recall that Nexus also battered Punk in the June invasion; and later McMahon) but that seems to be all thrown out of the window with The Nex Express/The Corrs. So what was the master plan? The nothing??

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

jaykhunter wrote: »
    Something that's been bothering me; Barrett/Nexus initially kept prophesising that there's a bigger plan in the works than just eliminating John Cena (recall that Nexus also battered Punk in the June invasion; and later McMahon) but that seems to be all thrown out of the window with The Nex Express/The Corrs. So what was the master plan? The nothing??

Did Barett reference that again recently, maybe the core will try to complete the greater plan on SD, maybe Otunga didnt allows agree with this greater purpose and therefore fought Baretts leadership and is now on Raw with Punk. Maybe that is also a reason why the Corre are now supposidly all equals fighting towards the same goal (so as to avoid such situations in the future). Making an impact on their first night, taking out the biggest dogs in the WWE yard (Cena & Taker) aswell as The Chairman can be referenced as part of this greater plan to destroy the WWE from within. Who knows maybe even
    Sting, could be announced as the true leader of the Corre and the one whos plan they are following, then at WM the streak will be the next WWE accomplishment to be targetted by The Corre of Stings Nexus

there is a lot left in this imo

Quite interesting! Although part of me doesn't want to see
    Sting lower himself
    to have to interact with the many rookie jobbers in Nexus or Corrie. I'd reckon he'd be of more use going against them tbh....but whatever happens becoming a week-to-week storyline guy, it's a big step down from
    mania vs Taker
    That'd also mean a heel turn tho...definitely par for the course in TNA but I doubt WWE would be quick to do that.

• Advertisement

Very very interesting Theory BH, i would think its a nice way to set up the match at WM.

Although if
    sting
    was already the true leader of nexus then how would barrett lose the leadership and all that associated?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Yeah I mentioned the same theory in another thread today as well. I'm not 100% sure though as it would mean
    introducing Sting as an outright heel

We're getting into "Mystery GM" territory! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,706 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

*bump*

Apart from the fact that nexus is now 'the new nexus' and the Corre are erh ... sh1te, surely even WWE creative team aren't going to just pretend the whole ' its for a higher purpose/bigger plan' didn't happen.

The storyline involved taking out CENA , Punk, a HOF'er, Taker and the company Chairman VKM, not to mention destroying the whole place on their debut and several other beat downs to random jobbers who happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.

I know HHH is only back on TV 12 mins but Vince McMahon has been back twice and absolutely no reference to nexus/new nexus or did I miss something.

Surely the best thing to do would be to tie in the annonymous GM/Nexus actions for higher purpose storylines into one storyline and at least have a ending afterall they gve us a begining, a middle and no ending.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭geeky

Surely the best thing to do would be to tie in the annonymous GM/Nexus actions for higher purpose storylines into one storyline and at least have a ending afterall they gve us a begining, a middle and no ending.

Are there ever real endings in wrestling? Yeah, there are to blow-off feuds but, TBH, if some angle finishes with all our questions answered and no reason to tune in next week, then someone's dropped the ball. If you start thinking of WWE as The Young and The Restless with ultra-violence, then it makes a bit more sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,888 ✭✭✭Charisteas

Sorry, but Barrett's 'Higher Power' and 'Winds Of Change' promos are now just a distant memory, lost forever in the sands of time.

okay, so having a beginnng, a middle and an end to every storyline/fued is probably asking abit too much of wwe but come on .. the lest they could do is mention it so its a possible angle for after WM.

Can any of the anoraks out there think of other storylines that were completely abandoned by WWE .. I suppose there are many

(Apart from storylines like Kane and the necrophilia that were abandoned due to bad press etc and other fueds that had to be abandoned to to superstar injuries/firings.. there must be others).

My go-to angles that were dropped by WWE are :

KOTR99 -- Austin vs Shane & Vince McMahon ladder match for control of the WWF. Some unknown person lowered the briefcase and helped the McMahons. The storyline was dropped.

GTV angle that ran in the attitude era for a brief period and then again a few years later. It was security-camera footage incriminating whoever the storyline needed.

2003. "I know what Booker T did last Summer" dropped completely.

Sorry to bring everyone down, but obviously the Mr McMahon death storyline was dropped due to the Benoit Tragedy.

Also the Triple H/Stephanie/Kurt Angle love triangle was dropped pretty sharpishly in early 2001.

Heidenreich's "Little Johnny" angle where he'd keep mentioning doing stuff for "Little Johnny". Then again, Heidenreich went out of favour as well :p

jaykhunter wrote: »
    My go-to angles that were dropped by WWE are :

KOTR99 -- Austin vs Shane & Vince McMahon ladder match for control of the WWF. Some unknown person lowered the briefcase and helped the McMahons. The storyline was dropped.

Any reason why? Doesn't seem that controversial.

GTV angle that ran in the attitude era for a brief period and then again a few years later. It was security-camera footage incriminating whoever the storyline needed.

I remember that. Never really work. Bit like the current GM - there to serve a purpose and not much else IMO

2003. "I know what Booker T did last Summer" dropped completely.

Don't remember that one? Must google it

Sorry to bring everyone down, but obviously the Mr McMahon death storyline was dropped due to the Benoit Tragedy.

Also the Triple H/Stephanie/Kurt Angle love triangle was dropped pretty sharpishly in early 2001.

Heidenreich's "Little Johnny" angle where he'd keep mentioning doing stuff for "Little Johnny". Then again, Heidenreich went out of favour as well :p

Thanks Jay

Sure man. Add to that Edge was injured backstage at No Way Out 2003 by an unknown assailant (which was just an excuse so he could leave and have neck surgery); it was never brought up again.

w/r/t the Briefcase; rumour at the time was that it was Jericho that helped the McMahons. Also that Austin was going to win complete control so he could give the WWF to the fans (i.e. put it on the stock market) and throw out shares to the crowd at some point. Obviously both never happened lol.

Nobody remembers the "I know what Booker did last Summer"! It comprised of about 3 backstage vignettes before it was quietly dropped :p

very good point about GTV and the RAW GM being there purely to serve a purpose rather than actually being a thought-out storyline.

• Advertisement

Purely a rumour of course, but I remember reading that GTV was supposed to be the start of a Goldust voyeur angle.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

Charisteas wrote: »
    Purely a rumour of course, but I remember reading that GTV was supposed to be the start of a Goldust voyeur angle.

yeah this is the rumour i have heard more so than anything else! would have liked that (not so much the voyeur stuff but i am a big fan of gold dust!)

Was that the same angle where goldust had was suppose to be peeping in children bedroom windows, (but not in a puedo kind of way but more like a sand man type characther?)

(Not sandman the wrestler... sandman as in 'enter sandman' by metallica)

• Registered Users Posts: 45,558 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Was that the same angle where goldust had was suppose to be peeping in children bedroom windows, (but not in a puedo kind of way but more like a sand man type characther?)

(Not sandman the wrestler... sandman as in 'enter sandman' by metallica)

That was in WCW. They were forced to drop the angle and so he ended up going on TV and burying the whole character as well as the company. Not the only guy to have done that of course. :pac:

With regards to this Nexus angle, I've always felt the GM had something to do with the 'greater power' so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt until that's revealed but I've no doubt they were 'doing a Lost' on this and just making it up as they went along.

That was in WCW. They were forced to drop the angle and so he ended up going on TV and burying the whole character as well as the company. Not the only guy to have done that of course. :pac:

With regards to this Nexus angle, I've always felt the GM had something to do with the 'greater power' so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt until that's revealed but I've no doubt they were 'doing a Lost' on this and just making it up as they went along.

I resent that last comment.
    Lost was never made up as it went on. :p

I agree that other point though. If the GM is ever revealed i hope nexus get an upper hand because of it. As the GM has always been very lenient when they done stuff.

CMpunked wrote: »
    I resent that last comment.
    Lost was never made up as it went on. :p

I agree that other point though. If the GM is ever revealed i hope nexus get an upper hand because of it. As the GM has always been very lenient when they done stuff.

When the GM is revealed, I don't think he will ever be linked to Nexus. That ship has long sailed, and Otunga is the only member from the original 8 remaining (Maybe Sheffield will return but who knows).

Plus, the GM is on Raw, and (no pun intended) the core of the original Nexus are on Smackdown.

Advertisement