Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Nexus Thread *Spoilers*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Degag wrote: »
    Cena??? Is there any way that could make sense?

There are a few ways. One could be to use the heat Cena gets from fans as a reason. Something along the lines of him being sick of doing everything by the book and having WWE fans boo him. So he used Nexus to destroy everything the fans love blah blah blah. The beat downs could be explained as being necessary to convince everybody how bad-ass Nexus were i.e. Cena taking one for the team. That could be used to get across how Cena will put his body on the line for his beliefs, almost martyr like if you will.

I know it sounds stupid but they have had worse happen over the years (Austin joining the invasion and then re-joining WWF etc)

It being Jericho would be an anti-climax. It cannot be something like that. It HAS to be somebody with a big name (like Cena) or somebody like Cole who can play the traditional GM or manager type of role.

Another potential name could be Shane or Stephanie McMahon. They could use Shane's real life walk out from the WWE as the basis for the role. If it were Steph, she could just reprise her previous on screen role of the the meglomaniacal leader.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

There are a few ways. One could be to use the heat Cena gets from fans as a reason. Something along the lines of him being sick of doing everything by the book and having WWE fans boo him. So he used Nexus to destroy everything the fans love blah blah blah. The beat downs could be explained as being necessary to convince everybody how bad-ass Nexus were i.e. Cena taking one for the team. That could be used to get across how Cena will put his body on the line for his beliefs, almost martyr like if you will.

the bigger picture.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,717 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Spent a while last night considering who might be the leader of Nexus. I came up with a few names who I haven't seen widely mentioned yet: CM Punk, Kane, Randy Orton, Sheamus and The Miz.

CM Punk stands out to be as the most interesting candidate. He is lacking fresh opponents on SmackDown, so the move to Raw would make sense. The Nexus would join the SES, which can be explained by Punk having been Darren Youngs pro. Cena-Punk has yet to be done properly, plus you have Punk-HHH and Punk-Orton further down the line.

the bigger picture.:eek:

:D When I read that back it brought up other unwanted images!

The Cena thing is pretty unlikely given the PG era and whatnot, but it has worked for The Rock and Hogan in the past.

The CM Punk idea by Mr. Guappa would be pretty awesome...can't see Punk getting the nod though. Can still hope though

• Registered Users Posts: 85,868 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Source
    Skip Sheffield underwent successful surgery Wednesday to repair a fractured ankle suffered four weeks ago at a Raw live event in Honolulu, Hawaii, reports SLAM! Wrestling. The Nexus member is expected to be out of action until February.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭D2D

Anyone else think WWE really dropped the ball with the whole Nexus angle. It was great at the start with the whole invasion but it's just completly fizzled out.

Ever since Cena cut this promo on Nexus on the 1st Raw after SummerSlam, the group, imo, lost any credibility

• Registered Users Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭glenjamin

Yea I think it's really gone stale. After the loss at Summerslam, the injury to Sheffield and Orton RKOing all the members every week I just don't see them as a threat anymore.

I think the only way forward is to get some new members. Maybe Hennig and Riley from season 2 of NXT and an experienced leader - a la Triple H. Oh and ditch Slater.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,558 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

glenjamin wrote: »
    I think the only way forward is to get some new members. Maybe Hennig and Riley from season 2 of NXT and an experienced leader - a la Triple H. Oh and ditch Slater.

Slater is going to be one of the biggest stars of that group. The fact they gave him wins over Jericho, Edge and Sheamus in recent weeks and chose him to be the guy to face off against Bret Hart in the SS match indicates they have big faith in him.

I disagree too with D2D regarding Cena's promo hurting them. I think the opposite. In fact, Slater got quite a few 'Wendy' chants from that promo and they should have made more of that joke in my view. It could have been a bit like Christian when he used to be taunted with the CLB chant.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭Ridley

Blarg if that story's true.

I'm not against Cena or Triple H going heel but that's neither's MO, IMO.

Cena could easily just rant on not being good enough despite always doing the right thing. Besides, I still really want this to be his gimmick (semi-language warning). :p

At this point I think it would be best if Michael Cole was the GM. If anything, Cole should be the Vince McMahon to a Miz Corporate Rock. People hate them both by default and a commentator would make more sense being the one to quote other rasslers' catchphrases. They do the research. Besides, both Miz and Cole started off loathed, they've got the motive to team up.

I think I'd still rather have Nexus be working off their own back though. I guess I'd have Cole/Miz as the authority, Nexus as an unstable entity while Cena Two-Face walks out on the people who chose psycho Orton over the White Knight.

Erm.. Triple H as the secondary face I guess...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭paddyismaddy

nexus are over and stale

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Why or how have you come to that conclusion?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭paddyismaddy

gimmick wrote: »
    Why or how have you come to that conclusion?

their loss at summerslam pretty much sealed their fate imo they were beaten by team raw so they arent feared by the raw locker room anymore and with skip out injuried basically the muscle of the group whats left for them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Jolt2007

Without Skip they mean nothing to me. The man helped fill a big muscle bound shaped hole in my heart that was left by Big Dave. Why do they all leave me? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,057 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Jolt2007 wrote: »
    Without Skip they mean nothing to me. The man helped fill a big muscle bound shaped hole in my heart that was left by Big Dave. Why do they all leave me? :(

Chris_Masters_-_Chris_Mordetzky_32.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Jolt2007

I'd never steal him from you. Not my style ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 54,033 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Bloody he'll just let the nexus **** die already. Feel sorry for punk to be lumped into that lot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

why watch it?? all ye do is complain about it

I think the problem is Otunga. They have made him a focal point for weeks and months now and he's just not good enough. Fans can't buy into him at all so any internal conflict between him and Barrett was always going to get a muted response. If there is to be conflict between Barrett and Punk then that could be more interesting but momentum has been lost since the storyline started.

Looking back on the year, Barrett became a star (Cena was instrumental in that despite what those who complain about him say) and you could argue Daniel Bryan became a star partly due to the Nexus storyline (in terms of his Summerslam return and him being the WWE's last member).

If they can make one or two more stars then the group will have served its purpose. I think they want Otunga to be one such guy but I don't see that happening. I remain convinced that Slater and Gabriel can emerge well from the group. I think Gabriel could be a decent midcard babyface although I don't see him going beyind that. I reckon Slater could be a future star because he has a unique look and is one of the better guys in the ring, but he would need a better finishing move and to be packaged well by the company. I think Husky could make it too because he offers something different. McGillicutty I'm not sure about. He's a bit meh for me at the minute.

Returning to this storyline if it leads to Punk vs Cena at Wrestlemania I am all for it as I think the fan reactions would make that very special.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Icky Thump

ricero wrote: »
    I want miz to go really dark reAlly evil like randy orton when he was building his rivrally against triple h when they headlined wrestlemania and try make his characther the most hater villian in wwe. He has potential he's the best on the mic since the rock and his in ring skills are improving by the week. I'm a cole miner :D

your obviously joking

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Icky Thump

glenjamin wrote: »
    He. Bores. The. Hell. Out. Of. Me

this is how i feel about all of wwe these days. orton is the only reason i even watch now. hopefuly HHH wil be back soon and get rid of miz, cena, cole and vicky

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,441 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I don't mind Punk joining Nexus tbh. I was actually expecting it for weeks now, and at least punk may get the upperhand once or twice thanks to a numbers game. With or without Nexus, Punk is going to get destroyed in thsi feud anyway, so this might give them a few moments.

I was hoping for a different stable being formed though. Punk could have united those who were wronged by Cena, and this was somewhat hinted at with his section with Sheamus. He could have gathered together a few heels who were tired of "The John Cena Show". Punk, Sheamus, maybe a Batista appearance, and even have the Nexus as lackies.

Meh. I get why people don't like it but my attitude is that it's a decent storyline coming out of an enevitable burial anyway.

Show was a tad meh all over then. Why job Kidd and his bodyguard out like that, especially after he seemingly was going to start a story with Bryan? Why waste Morrison's shot next week? Why not give Melina some actual mic time to explain her actions?

EDIT: I will say I loved Punk's opening promo. I adore heels who are 100% correct in their statements but yet still get people to boo the hell out of them....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,645 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

They need to start making the Nexus members look strong and have them actually win some singles/tag/three-man tag etc matches, as at the moment they look so bloody weak and its embarrassing.

So WWE ballses up the Nexus feud by fast tracking the Barrett v Cena match and giving it a clean finish so its effectively over between the two of them despite some promising possible angles.

Then they bring in Punk to lead the group. Why did he look surprised at the armband in the ring if he was planning to join Nexus.

And as much as I love the Miz, why the hell do I have to watch Jerry Lawler wrestle every week. People b!tch and moan about Flair & Hogan on TNA tv, at least they're not wrestling the companys number one star three weeks in a row.

Why bury Tyson Kidd cleanly against a guy who will never be a title-holder? Pointless booking again after making him make the statement that he will win the title.

Why have his bodyguard laid out by a gassed Henry, making Andrews look even weaker.

Why make Miz look somewhat weak by losing to Lawlor? Yes it was a countout etc but realistically having your main guy pinned by a 61 year old and then defeated by countout does ABSOLUTELY NOTHING for the Miz, when you're trying to build him as the main guy. He just won the bloody title, why are they sending him down the Jack Swagger route of looking like a lucky champion.

The only thing they seem to be doing right at the moment is giving Danielson some clean wins over some mid-card and lower-card guys. The Bella Twins storyline is thick, but at least Bryan is winning some matches clean.

Punk and Batista friends :confused: will they now bring back Dave as the "genius" behind Nexus :rolleyes:

I agree with FireballPitcher they need to start making the other Nexus members look alot stronger maybe they should go after the tag titles again maybe Husky and Perfect Jnr this time around

Anyone else finding Miz god damn boring as champion I am sick of him and Riley already I hope he drops the title at RR to Punk or Cena or better Sheamus

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Punk and Batista friends :confused: will they now bring back Dave as the "genius" behind Nexus :rolleyes:

I agree with FireballPitcher they need to start making the other Nexus members look alot stronger maybe they should go after the tag titles again maybe Husky and Perfect Jnr this time around

Anyone else finding Miz god damn boring as champion I am sick of him and Riley already I hope he drops the title at RR to Punk or Cena or better Sheamus

I don't get why they didn't just pull the trigger and have Punk reveal himself as the mastermind behind Nexus. The idea of Punk as leader of the Nexus is a good one, just the execution was very poor. Punk and Nexus could have good promos (We are one....one nation under Punk etc). I still think they will say that Punk was with Nexus all along and that can lead to Punk v Taker. Punk could say that he created the Nexus to destroy the old guard and start a new Straight Edge era. I hope so anyway!

At least they have a leader now who people might actually believe can beat Barrett. Barrett does not have the in-ring skills to main event and him and Nexus being booked like John Cena's bítches didn't help either.

Miz is just a stop gap champion whilst the top guys are busy with the Rumble etc. Miz and the WWE title are very much behind The John Cena Show and The Road to Wrestlemania in the WWE's mind. Long term things look good for The Miz, but at the minute he is still not a genuine main eventer.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,645 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

I don't get why they didn't just pull the trigger and have Punk reveal himself as the mastermind behind Nexus. The idea of Punk as leader of the Nexus is a good one, just the execution was very poor. Punk and Nexus could have good promos (We are one....one nation under Punk etc). I still think they will say that Punk was with Nexus all along and that can lead to Punk v Taker. Punk could say that he created the Nexus to destroy the old guard and start a new Straight Edge era. I hope so anyway!

At least they have a leader now who people might actually believe can beat Barrett. Barrett does not have the in-ring skills to main event and him and Nexus being booked like John Cena's bítches didn't help either.

Miz is just a stop gap champion whilst the top guys are busy with the Rumble etc. Miz and the WWE title are very much behind The John Cena Show and The Road to Wrestlemania in the WWE's mind. Long term things look good for The Miz, but at the minute he is still not a genuine main eventer.

Agree with everything except that Miz is a stop-gap. I've read in many places that McMahon is huge on the Miz and sees him as the marquee man for the next couple of years, which you can see with some of his appearances on non-WWE programming.

I think Nexus would be a lot stronger if they'd kept Barrett and had Punk as the all-out leader. If we've seen anything from Nexus is that apart from Otunga who can just about barely carry the mic, they're useless at talking so having a great mouthpiece like Barrett would have been very useful.

Look at the Corporate Ministry with the Underaker being the main man and the main voice (until Vince obviously) but with Triple H and Shane-O-Mac getting great mic time too. Or DX who had Roaddogg or XPac who can talk on the mic.

The reality is that for a great stable you need the lower guys to actually mean something or stand out as more than just generic "insert name here" guys. They don't need to be championship contenders, they just need to be distinguishable. When Heath Slaters most outstanding feature from the rest of them is "his red hair" or that Gabriel "has a great finishing move" they're seriously lacking personality. Get Barrett back in there as otherwise I can't see anything legitimate for him short of disappearing into the midcard.

Agree with everything except that Miz is a stop-gap. I've read in many places that McMahon is huge on the Miz and sees him as the marquee man for the next couple of years, which you can see with some of his appearances on non-WWE programming.

I know they have big things planned for him, that is why I say that long-term things look good for him. But in the short term he is still not at the main event level. Just like Sheamus at this time last year. The champion before the Rumble is often an experimental champion. So he is still a stop gap for the WWE Title as I imagine Orton, Cena, Punk, Sheamus or HHH being champion at Wrestlemania.

I agree big time with you about the Nexus. They really have botched up the lower guys as they just appear as cannon fodder for the top guys.

Still I will repeat my new favourite line, We are One...one nation under Punk!

I think Nexus would be a lot stronger if they'd kept Barrett and had Punk as the all-out leader. If we've seen anything from Nexus is that apart from Otunga who can just about barely carry the mic, they're useless at talking so having a great mouthpiece like Barrett would have been very useful.

Look at the Corporate Ministry with the Underaker being the main man and the main voice (until Vince obviously) but with Triple H and Shane-O-Mac getting great mic time too. Or DX who had Roaddogg or XPac who can talk on the mic.

The reality is that for a great stable you need the lower guys to actually mean something or stand out as more than just generic "insert name here" guys. They don't need to be championship contenders, they just need to be distinguishable. When Heath Slaters most outstanding feature from the rest of them is "his red hair" or that Gabriel "has a great finishing move" they're seriously lacking personality. Get Barrett back in there as otherwise I can't see anything legitimate for him short of disappearing into the midcard.

But the difference with Nexus was that this was a group of rookies making their debut rather than stars in their own right who had come together to form a stable. Nexus have pretty much had to learn the ropes as they have went along. They were never all going to get over because sometimes new guys just don't make it. If 2 or 3 stars emerge from the group in time then it can be viewed as a success imo. Barrett is already there I think.

People are slating the storyline but I give credit to the WWE for continuing it this long, for weeding out the weaker members, and actually looking to do something different. I would also have liked to have seen Nexus presented as a stronger force but it's not like there have been too many standout performances from the group, with the exception of Barrett who has shown he has a lot of potential. I like Slater and Husky but I think they are about 2 to 3 years away from being at Barrett's level (if they ever get there). I'm not sure the rest can be main eventers. With that being the case, can you really blame the WWE for not wanting to have these guys get strong victories over the likes of Cena, Edge, Jericho etc.? If they are not showing that they can make it as stars in the near future, unlike Barrett, then frankly do they deserve to be pinning and beating top guys? A bit of perspective is needed with Nexus I think.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,199 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Go Punk.

Great to see him as leader of Nexus. It was well set up and the whole show had a good flow to it. The next Phase of Nexus has begun and Credit to WWE for finding another way to prolong the groups position in the main event.

The only mistake WWE may have made is America is full of Xenophobes so Barrett as Nexus leader meant people would cheer Cena. Now many will cheer Nexus with Punk as leader.

DM-ICE wrote: »
    Go Punk.

Great to see him as leader of Nexus. It was well set up and the whole show had a good flow to it. The next Phase of Nexus has begun and Credit to WWE for finding another way to prolong the groups position in the main event.

The only mistake WWE may have made is America is full of Xenophobes so Barrett as Nexus leader meant people would cheer Cena. Now many will cheer Nexus with Punk as leader.

I think Cena is more over than ever thanks to his feud with Nexus and even with Punk as leader I still think he will be cheered :rolleyes: but Punk/Cena feud is miles better than Barrett/Cena I just hope they can keep it going and fresh until WM

• Advertisement

With that being the case, can you really blame the WWE for not wanting to have these guys get strong victories over the likes of Cena, Edge, Jericho etc.? If they are not showing that they can make it as stars in the near future, unlike Barrett, then frankly do they deserve to be pinning and beating top guys? A bit of perspective is needed with Nexus I think.

Then why have them in the Main Event of Summerslam or talk about them as the greatest force in WWE history? Admittedly they are all rookies but I think they have had zero opportunity to stand out due to the booking. They rarely are booked to have much offense in matches and regular beat downs by Cena et al are definitely not going to help them out. There have been several instances of Cena taking out numerous members at a time. I think that this is totally unneccesary.

Instead, they should have been booked as strong heels against mid and lower card guys. Give them a chance to build themselves up before putting them in with Cena, Edge etc. They could have had 1-2 matches each per month and their first loss could have been held off for a few months. I would have limited their in-ring time against the top guys and built up fans desire to see them against the headliners. That could have waited until a 7-on-7 match at the Survivor Series (basically have the match from Summerslam at the Survivor Series). So it would have been a genuine big match to finally see Nexus get their comeuppance (I still would have booked a victory through cheating for them to ramp up the heat).

Yes I give the WWE credit for booking a long angle. But the execution was regularly ruined just to get some cheap temporary pops. Nexus have had to be rebuilt at least 3 times due to burials. It is also not that unusual for a new guy to come in and go straight to the top (Goldberg, Lesnar, Sheamus for example). So it should not be a stretch to have 7 guys come in and be a force as one unit. They could have won the lesser titles and now should be targeting the Royal Rumble to get the last title they need to complete the set. By doing this, everybody in Nexus would benefit, but there would still only be Barrett being booked as a main eventer.

Edit: Before anybody jumps in, I am not saying that any of Nexus are as good as Goldberg or Lesnar

Advertisement