Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New DIT Campus - Grangegorman

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Ben D Bus wrote: »
    Is it possible yet to walk through the campus from Grangegorman to the NCR?

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,707 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

nowecant wrote: »
    There has been no big announcement from the GGDA for a while now. I thought the contracts for the central and eastern Quads were to announced early this year so that students could be in them in September 2015.

They are cutting time very close now.
    The central and eastern quads were never to be ready for students in september 2015. The procurement process is not yet complete but the McQuarie team are the preferred bidder for the PPP which has Sisk and FCC as construction partners. BAM will be disappointed if they miss out on this, they seem to be clearing up with large projects recently. Expect to wait another couple of months before a contract award.

There was a topping out ceremony at the Greenway Hub, the structure is complete so BAM are well on their way there.http://www.bamcontractors.ie/news.htm/view/id/256

There are also a couple of recent notices on the GGDA website which shows that other projects are also progressing;
    http://ggda.ie/category/latest-news[

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭petronius

I think with the broadstone garage removed the entrance from constitution hill can be impressive showing the old broadstone station the architecturally splendid building it is. I also think the balance with the Kings Inns on one side and the wide entrance to DIT Grangegorman will be a heck of a lot better the the bus station and gas station view which was there.

Due to proximity maybe the DIT Law dept should be merged with the Kings Inns?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

petronius wrote: »
    I think with the broadstone garage removed the entrance from constitution hill can be impressive showing the old broadstone station the architecturally splendid building it is. I also think the balance with the Kings Inns on one side and the wide entrance to DIT Grangegorman will be a heck of a lot better the the bus station and gas station view which was there.

Due to proximity maybe the DIT Law dept should be merged with the Kings Inns?
    KI doesn't have enough room as is for the Barrister-at-Law Degree programme and their Diploma programme.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭nowecant

Pete_Cavan wrote: »
    The central and eastern quads were never to be ready for students in september 2015. The procurement process is not yet complete but the McQuarie team are the preferred bidder for the PPP which has Sisk and FCC as construction partners. BAM will be disappointed if they miss out on this, they seem to be clearing up with large projects recently. Expect to wait another couple of months before a contract award.

There was a topping out ceremony at the Greenway Hub, the structure is complete so BAM are well on their way there.http://www.bamcontractors.ie/news.htm/view/id/256

There are also a couple of recent notices on the GGDA website which shows that other projects are also progressing;
    http://ggda.ie/category/latest-news[

Sorry my mistake, I meant to write September 2017 (http://www.dit.ie/grangegorman/informationforstudents/movingin2017/)

If the contract was announced tomorrow that would only give them 18 months for build and fit out. I really doubt that that is enough time to be honest

• Advertisement

I would expect major progress on the Broadstone gate shortly as the Luas line has to go through here shortly.

This section is probably the furthest behind of all the sections of the Luas Cross City so I believe there will be a big push soon.

Luas Construction timeline at https://www.luascrosscity.ie/whats-the-plan/timeline/

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

I'd say Western Way / Mountjoy Street / Dominick Street are huge development potential sites. Was looking at a Georgian house there a few years back and it was cheap as chips. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

I'd say Western Way / Mountjoy Street / Dominick Street are huge development potential sites. Was looking at a Georgian house there a few years back and it was cheap as chips. :mad:

Some of the houses on nearby North Circular were going for a song when the bedsit ban came in.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭matc66

Aard wrote: »
    Some of the houses on nearby North Circular were going for a song when the bedsit ban came in.

I didn't realise there is a bedsit ban. Do you have any details on this? I live off the NCR and would dearly love for the area to improve as much as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

matc66 wrote: »
    I didn't realise there is a bedsit ban. Do you have any details on this? I live off the NCR and would dearly love for the area to improve as much as possible.

A quick news search should give all the info. Many houses on NCR and SCR (as well as Rathmines and the likes) were affected, and many landlords simply chose to sell up rather than invest in upgrading the properties. With Grangegorman, there will be a push for quality housing for staff and students in the area. I can only see Dublin 7 benefitting because of this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭trellheim

correct. All flats had to have ensuite toilets etc .

The GGDA have recently commissioned a report on what happens when 12,000 students begin to frequent/live in an area

http://www.herald.ie/news/report-plans-to-deal-with-influx-of-12000-into-grangegorman-31089447.html

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

matc66 wrote: »
    trellheim wrote: »
    correct. All flats had to have ensuite toilets etc .

Housing Standards Document.

http://www.dublincity.ie/main-menu-services-housing-private-rented-housing-environmental-health-section/housing-standards

they've opened a route between tesco on Prussia St and the campus now.... unfortunately its closed most of the fking time. Is there any site which shows what hours all the different gates are open ? Currently you can walk in the NCR end and be unable to walk out the Grangegorman lower end cos the gate there is shut ....

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

How in any way does this fulfill the planning requirements of east-west access which are overdue to be complied with?

It doesn't

And the Broadstone Gate is not due for completion until 2017. Hopefully some sort of even temporary access can be facilitated before then

I reckon they are waiting on a big push from the Luas contractors in that area but their attention is elsewhere at the moment.

planning applications gone in for the quads to DCC but not to ABP ( exempt under SDZ IIRC ) . See their FB Page

• Registered Users Posts: 6,707 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

trellheim wrote: »
    planning applications gone in for the quads to DCC but not to ABP ( exempt under SDZ IIRC ) . See their FB Page

Is this for the western quad? Or do they only go through the planning process for the central and eastern quads now that the PPP procurement process is coming to an end?

Central and Eastern Quads AFAIK

As i have said before I think they are cutting the time close to get them open for September 2017

Detailed drawings have finally been uploaded to DCC Planning if you want to take a look.

CLosing date for objections 25 Jun

See http://ggda.ie/new-planning-applications-lodged-2

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭petronius

Great to see development where the maxol station was on constitution hill. It should help open up views of the building which is/was the Broadstone Station, and the project to deliver in its ambition.
    Hopefully it will lead to an opening up of the area/college to embrace the community .
    (I always felt Trinity closed its mind and campus to the community and residents by the emptiness along pearse street making it quite a dead zone.)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

petronius wrote: »
    Great to see development where the maxol station was on constitution hill. It should help open up views of the building which is/was the Broadstone Station, and the project to deliver in its ambition.
    Hopefully it will lead to an opening up of the area/college to embrace the community .
    (I always felt Trinity closed its mind and campus to the community and residents by the emptiness along pearse street making it quite a dead zone.)

Although Trinity have started addressing that in recent years with the Science Lab and Bioscience buildings which are more open and visually friendly. Pearse St has become a little more vibrant as a result.

I see great things for DIT in Grangegorman along with the associated Luas infrastructure, a dynamic local village in Phibsboro just waiting to become a Berkeley/Cambridge style funky (dare I say hipster?) suburb. The opening up of the impressive and long hidden Broadstone station will also enhance the area.

ongarboy wrote: »
    Although Trinity have started addressing that in recent years with the Science Lab and Bioscience buildings which are more open and visually friendly. Pearse St has become a little more vibrant as a result.

They are also planning a New school of Business for Pearse Street. This is a redesign after the original was rejected. You can see by the picture further down the page that there is an opening onto Pearse street at the back of where Luce Hall is currently which is currently pretty much waste land. It will help improve that end of Pearse street.

Long term they also have a plan to replace Oisín House which is diagonally opposite Pearse St Garda Station which is currently occupied by the Department of Social Protection with their Homeless Services. This will massively improve the experience of the street to anyone who knows what it is like to walk past that spot in the mornings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

They are also planning a New school of Business for Pearse Street. This is a redesign after the original was rejected. You can see by the picture further down the page that there is an opening onto Pearse street at the back of where Luce Hall is currently which is currently pretty much waste land. It will help improve that end of Pearse street.

Long term they also have a plan to replace Oisín House which is diagonally opposite Pearse St Garda Station which is currently occupied by the Department of Social Protection with their Homeless Services. This will massively improve the experience of the street to anyone who knows what it is like to walk past that spot in the mornings.

Will Hawkins house be demolished ?

D Trent wrote: »
    Will Hawkins house be demolished ?

Not from anything I have read (pity) and I dont believe by Trinity as they dont own it as far as I know. There is an interesting article on plans for that area here. I really like the idea for a new diagonal pedestrianized street linking college green to Tara Street station

I did hear a rumor that Trinity own College House beside the screen cinema on Townsend street that used to be occupied by An Post, but i have no source I can link to to back that up.

Not from anything I have read (pity) and I dont believe by Trinity as they dont own it as far as I know. There is an interesting article on plans for that area here. I really like the idea for a new diagonal pedestrianized street linking college green to Tara Street station

I did hear a rumor that Trinity own College House beside the screen cinema on Townsend street that used to be occupied by An Post, but i have no source I can link to to back that up.

There was talk that if Dart underground went ahead an underground station would be accessed at the site of Hawkins house with a new development there

From what I understand the proposed route for DU is much further south.

Was there also talk of redeveloping the site as a new Bus Eireann terminus with a pedestrian tunnel to Tara Street as Bus Aras is no longer fit for purpose?

From what I understand the proposed route for DU is much further south.

Was there also talk of redeveloping the site as a new Bus Eireann terminus with a pedestrian tunnel to Tara Street as Bus Aras is no longer fit for purpose?
    Come to think of it I think it was a station for Metro North which would cross over DU at Stephens Green station.

Not sure about the Bus Eireann proposal but I can see a lot of people kicking up a fuss that business and trade would now be on south of the Liffey

• Advertisement

Im cross posting this but I thought it might be of interest

10 New stations just announced for the area around Grangegorman where the new DIT campus is being built

http://irishcycle.com/2015/07/17/dub...-grangegorman/

Advertisement