Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Soon to need a prescription for Nurofen/Solphadine/etc?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

Hear hear, and not even a pharmacist on most occasions, but their minimum wage paid untrained shop-assistants.

I remember the bru-ha-ha caused by the then IPU in the 90's when multiples were allowed sell products containing paracetamol and aspirin off the shelves. You'd swear the sky was falling in from the hyperbole coming from their press-releases.

Again, I state, this directive has nothing to do with the public interest, but all to do with a private-interest group reducing their legal exposure in light of the high consumption of codeine related products being sold in this jurisdiction under their watch.

You haven't the blindest notion of what's going on I'm afraid. The guidelines (not directives) were brought in by the PSI. The PSI is the pharmacy regulator, the board of which is made up of a majority of non pharmacists and who's goal is to act in the public's interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

bleg wrote: »
    You haven't the blindest notion of what's going on I'm afraid. The guidelines (not directives) were brought in by the PSI. The PSI is the pharmacy regulator, the board of which is made up of a majority of non pharmacists and who's goal is to act in the public's interest.
    Having worked in the pharma sector for ten-plus years, I can assure you I do.

The PSI is a Quango, and not-unlike every other Quango is basically a politically appointed body subject to the pressures of the usual lobby-groups.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 TomKehoe

Having worked in the pharma sector for ten-plus years, I can assure you I do.

The PSI is a Quango, and not-unlike every other Quango is basically a politically appointed body subject to the pressures of the usual lobby-groups.

So you really believe that a pharmacist lobby-group applied pressure to their own regulator to bring in rules that would reduce their painkilling medicine sales by half?

[see Sunday Tribune|Sales of codeine products plunge 45% since new guidelines]

Just why would a supposedly intelligent group of adults and business-people do that, particularly in the current economic climate? I think you must have been at the codeine again yourself.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭ebixa82

Hear hear, and not even a pharmacist on most occasions, but their minimum wage paid untrained shop-assistants.

Nearly 1,000 posts into this topic and there are still those who don't understand these regulations!

Let me dumb it down for you. These medicines can ONLY be sold by, or under the direct supervision of, a Pharmacist. Never "their minimum wage paid untrained shop-assistants".

If you have gone through this thread without understanding this then you probably shouldn't be allowed by codeine without pharmacist intervention.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

ebixa82 wrote: »
    Nearly 1,000 posts into this topic and there are still those who don't understand these regulations!.

go on! have the honour!!

• Advertisement

go on! have the honour!!

Cheers Ballsy! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 balletchick

Nearly 1,000 posts into this topic and there are still those who don't understand these regulations!

Let me dumb it down for you. These medicines can ONLY be sold by, or under the direct supervision of, a Pharmacist. Never "their minimum wage paid untrained shop-assistants".

If you have gone through this thread without understanding this then you probably shouldn't be allowed by codeine without pharmacist intervention.
    ebixa........I have read all the threads and consider myself well educated on these matters. I had the misfortune to be served by a "counter assistant" who decided she wasnt going to sell me codeine. When I correctly challenged her on her right to make that decision she told me I didnt need to see a pharmacist and as long as the said pharmacist was in the building she could make this decision. She also lied to me and said this particular pharmacy was no longer stocking syndol. Later I went back and demanded to speak to the pharmcist who apologised for the assistants behaviour and admitted she was wrong to A) make a decision herself ..... B) inform me that I didnt need to see a pharmacist to buy codeine ....and C) blatently lie about not stocking syndol. The pharmacist in question assured me she would reprimand said assistant.
    But my point is :
    There ARE assistants making biased and ill-informed decisions, clearly on a power trip
    Not everyone would be self assured and confident enough to complain about same to the head of the Pharmacy.
    Clearly, there are massive holes in the legislation that is leading to humiliation of customers at the hands of misinformed pharmacy staff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

These medicines can ONLY be sold by, or under the direct supervision of, a Pharmacist. Never "their minimum wage paid untrained shop-assistants".

This may be the theory - but in practice the untrained shop assistants are making calls on it without direct supervision and based on a subjective question and answer session.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

Here's a thought:

Maybe the much decried "nanny state" wouldn't be such a nanny state if its subjects were actually capable of behaving like adults?
    If people who became addicted to certain substances wouldn't turn round at the first given opportunity and try and sue the balls of the provider because obviously they can't be blamed for not informing themselves, no, somebody else needs to be accountable for their self-induced problems, and if people wouldn't cry for legislation against medication/head shops/children's toys at the first news headline, maybe the nanny state could find the time to actually look after the real problems.

But as long as its subjects behave like children, they need a nanny.

ebixa........I have read all the threads and consider myself well educated on these matters. I had the misfortune to be served by a "counter assistant" who decided she wasnt going to sell me codeine. When I correctly challenged her on her right to make that decision she told me I didnt need to see a pharmacist and as long as the said pharmacist was in the building she could make this decision. She also lied to me and said this particular pharmacy was no longer stocking syndol. Later I went back and demanded to speak to the pharmcist who apologised for the assistants behaviour and admitted she was wrong to A) make a decision herself ..... B) inform me that I didnt need to see a pharmacist to buy codeine ....and C) blatently lie about not stocking syndol. The pharmacist in question assured me she would reprimand said assistant.
    But my point is :
    There ARE assistants making biased and ill-informed decisions, clearly on a power trip
    Not everyone would be self assured and confident enough to complain about same to the head of the Pharmacy.
    Clearly, there are massive holes in the legislation that is leading to humiliation of customers at the hands of misinformed pharmacy staff.

That is absolutely shocking behaviour and that assistant should be sacked, what a fcukin idiot. At the end of the day the buck stops with the manager. You could write a strongly worded letter to the PSI about your experience and let them deal with the shop.

There are no holes in the regulations, the regulations are simple. The holes appear to be in the quality and training of staff in certain pharmacies.

Unfortunately with the HSE slashing payments to pharmacies many are facing financial difficulties (particularly independents)...fcuk Boots and those mult-national chains. I know several pharmacies that have had to resort to taking on FAS trainees who are doing an OTC course but have no fcuking idea when they start working for their 10 weeks work experience. Cringeworthy to hear them try to deal with customers.

As a member of the public with a medical complaint I would just directly ask for the Pharmacist on duty and prevent any misinformation or humiliating dealings with untrained staff..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 708 ✭✭✭zimovain

Meanwhile across the water

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1322994/Codeine-painkillers-unsafe-addictive-ineffective-warn-experts.html
    Experts are calling for a review on the use of codeine in any medication – and even a possible ban – following growing concern over its safety.
    They say that over-the-counter painkillers and cough mixtures containing codeine used by millions may be unsafe, addictive, ineffective, and should not be used by children.
    Some 27million packs of codeine-containing painkillers are sold over the counter each year in the UK alone, with brands including Nurofen Plus, Solpadeine Max, Panadol Ultra and Syndol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Resi12

Honestly, I have never heard of someone addicted to Neurofen, what a complete joke this is. Just more panic inflicted on us, this country is such a joke, we just love our stupid laws don't we.. Mary Harney is an odd woman.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

Resi12 wrote: »
    Honestly, I have never heard of someone addicted to Neurofen, what a complete joke this is. Just more panic inflicted on us, this country is such a joke, we just love our stupid laws don't we.. Mary Harney is an odd woman.

Oh good luck.:rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 245 ✭✭montane

That is absolutely shocking behaviour and that assistant should be sacked, what a fcukin idiot. At the end of the day the buck stops with the manager. You could write a strongly worded letter to the PSI about your experience and let them deal with the shop.

There are no holes in the regulations, the regulations are simple. The holes appear to be in the quality and training of staff in certain pharmacies.

Unfortunately with the HSE slashing payments to pharmacies many are facing financial difficulties (particularly independents)...fcuk Boots and those mult-national chains. I know several pharmacies that have had to resort to taking on FAS trainees who are doing an OTC course but have no fcuking idea when they start working for their 10 weeks work experience. Cringeworthy to hear them try to deal with customers.

As a member of the public with a medical complaint I would just directly ask for the Pharmacist on duty and prevent any misinformation or humiliating dealings with untrained staff..

Feeling a bit angry about a competitor ? :pac:

Fair point to ask directly for the pharmacist. Just be prepared to wait 20 minutes plus if they are doing prescriptions and dealing with other customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Shulgin

Codeine is metabolised quickly into morphine in your body. So it is HIGHLY addictive. Also ask Neil Prendeville about the side effects when mixed with alcohol :pac:, not REALLY funny, but you know the way loike. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Resi12

Shulgin wrote: »
    Codeine is metabolised quickly into morphine in your body. So it is HIGHLY addictive. Also ask Neil Prendeville about the side effects when mixed with alcohol :pac:, not REALLY funny, but you know the way loike. :D

Well yes but it's been like that since they were out so why is it such a problem all of a sudden, I mean have people honestly ever been addicted to Neurofen/Solphadine..?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭sligopark

not really sure about the addiction element but going to steer clear of this in case when I am flying for work and decide to take my dick out like that cork dj chap and give it a go in the middle of a flight without any recollection until I read of it the next day in the paper :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭fearcruach

Well yes but it's been like that since they were out so why is it such a problem all of a sudden, I mean have people honestly ever been addicted to Neurofen/Solphadine..?

Yes. These regulations weren't just pulled out of thin air. They were made in response to the growing problem of codeine dependence.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Shulgin

They contain codeine , so there must be a hell of a lot of people dependant on them. Opiates are extremely addictive, and shouldn't be so easy to obtain. Having to talk to the Pharmacist goes at least some way to cutting down abuse.

Worst.Troll.Ever

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

Worst.Troll.Ever

Tragically I dont think she's trolling.

Tragically I dont think she's trolling.

Gotta be. Nobody could possibly be that thick/ignorant could they?/:eek:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

All right folks, allow me, please.
    Honestly, I have never heard of someone addicted to Neurofen, what a complete joke this is...
    It's a bit of a sick joke at this stage actually, as the new guidelines (not "stupid laws") only apply to products containing codeine; Neurofen does not contain codeine.
    ... Mary Harney is an odd woman.
    She's not alone, we seem to get more than our fair share of "quare wans" here from time to time. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭BogMonkey

Shulgin wrote: »
    I like the name ;) Codeine isn't as addictive as morphine itself, possibly because only 500mg of codeine can be metabolised by the liver at a time. What gives these **** the right to tell us whats good for us and whats not good for us. Its alright if we induce irreversible liver damage from paracetamol or stomach ulcers and kidney damage from ibuprofen but they care too much about us to let us get addicted to codeine.
    Gotta be. Nobody could possibly be that thick/ignorant could they?/
    Considering that the majority of the population is okay with the fact that we are not free to choose what we do with our own minds and bodies, its very hard to be surprised by the ignorance and stupidity of anyone these days. Free thinking is a rare commodity in this day and age.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

BogMonkey wrote: »
    What gives these **** the right to tell us whats good for us and whats not good for us.

Years of study and research?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 692 ✭✭✭i-digress

Wouldn't a national campaign about the dangers of abusing all non-prescription drugs make more sense than this legislation?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

i-digress wrote: »
    Wouldn't a national campaign about the dangers of abusing all non-prescription drugs make more sense than this legislation?
    100% agree with you. There is clearly a need. At the end of the day, people who are gonna abuse OTC medicines are gonna do that no matter what. But I think the genereal public should really be encouraged to know more about a packet of pain killers beyond it's brand name and what it says in the ad.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭fearcruach

BogMonkey wrote: »
    Its alright if we induce irreversible liver damage from paracetamol or stomach ulcers and kidney damage from ibuprofen but they care too much about us to let us get addicted to codeine.

Pharmacies can't sell more than one packet of paracetamol to anyone without an interview by the pharmacist and I, personally advise all patients not to take paracetamol products together.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

Had my first experience of the new code. While it's irksome, it wasn't too bad. The pharmacist came straight out to talk to me rather than making me wait and I think he was doing scripts cause there were a lot of people standing around not being served.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Wickerman1

Gotta be. Nobody could possibly be that thick/ignorant could they?/:eek:

So somebody is thick/ignorant if they have a different opinion to you right!
    Nice:rolleyes: How self-righteous some people are!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement