Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Soon to need a prescription for Nurofen/Solphadine/etc?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭policeman

Wickerman1 wrote: »
    So somebody is thick/ignorant if they have a different opinion to you right!
    Nice:rolleyes: How self-righteous some people are!

To add, yes you can't argue with pious, self satisfied knobs. You know what these people are like. They really bore the t*ts off me and most people. Best thing to do is ignore them. They'll spout endless drivel regardless, about how they know best. Imagine if you had to live with them? At least this is only on a web forum, and you can choose not to view the thread. Phew!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭Gerry Asstrix

It amazes me that people can walk into a shop and buy crates of beer, vodka and whiskey which they can become addicted to or even die from if they drink enough.

You can go in and buy Ciggerettes full of nicotine and tar and fill your lungs full of sh*te.

But now you cant go in and buy afew tablets thats without the approval of a doctor.

Madness!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

It amazes me that people can walk into a shop and buy crates of beer, vodka and whiskey ....
    But now you cant go in and buy afew tablets thats without the approval of a doctor. ...
    It amazes me that posters continue to make connections between guidelines issued to regulate the sale and supply of medicines by pharmacies and the sale and supply of non-medicinal products not sold by pharmacies. Is this because they can't see the differences?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

I bought solpa sinus the other day, i went to pharmacy said i had been taking solpadeine for 5 days and the pain wasn't gone, showed them where it was painful, said solpadeine did not even touch of the pain, told them i could not take sudafed or sinutab so they suggested solpa sinus, and they worked great, i feel it coming back now though.

Cork radio host said to be devastated at Nurofen ban.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Alicat

I bought solpa sinus the other day, i went to pharmacy said i had been taking solpadeine for 5 days and the pain wasn't gone, showed them where it was painful, said solpadeine did not even touch of the pain, told them i could not take sudafed or sinutab so they suggested solpa sinus, and they worked great, i feel it coming back now though.

Solpasinus is Sinutab basically, but a bit stronger. It's paracetamol and the decongestant that's in Sudafed.

Anyways, Solpasinus doesn't contain codeine.

It amazes me about the misinformation and fear tactics of the anti-codeine propaganda lobby.

First of all nurofen plus and alcohol doesn't make you want to take out your mickey in a public place and start beating off.

Secondly codeine in these preparations are not dangerous compared to the poisons that are paracetamol and ibuprofen. Paracetamol is the suicide drug of choice although slow and painful.

Morphine, dihydrocodeine and other members of the opiate family are used in hospitals all around the world. Codeine is a member of that family. They are not useless as painkillers as the propaganda merchants will have you believe. Unless you are taking huge quantities and have built up a tolerance, the codeine in OTC products will add to the pain relieving effect of said tablets.

Lastly, for the millionth time, this is not about "caring" medical/pharmaceutical people worrying/protecting the public from harm.
    This is just about them covering there asses.

I heard the makers of nurofen are planning to sue Cork DJ.

Hynotics, now they're drugs that make you do strange things alright. They should not be prescribed at all but I doubt the PSI will do anything about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,932 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I heard it can cause sense of humour bypass.

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

Stark wrote: »
    I heard it can cause sense of humour bypass.

Oh sorry, yes hilarious and all that.Still chortling now in fact.

I was just using it as a reference.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

Resi12 wrote: »
    Honestly, I have never heard of someone addicted to Neurofen, what a complete joke this is. Just more panic inflicted on us, this country is such a joke, we just love our stupid laws don't we.. Mary Harney is an odd woman.

To be fair, I have treated people for this for years OTC codeine products, but your right, the regs. are a joke, don't see a need for them at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Shulgin

mathepac wrote: »
    It amazes me that posters continue to make connections between guidelines issued to regulate the sale and supply of medicines by pharmacies and the sale and supply of non-medicinal products not sold by pharmacies. Is this because they can't see the differences?

How dare anyone bring 'the drink' into any drugs argument. :pac:

If the government were seriously worried about peoples health there would be some limits placed on the amount of alcohol one person can buy. Codeine is nowhere near as harmful as that poison. No wonder people are amazed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭scotchy

Just home from Newry. All stocked up now with my “hangover cure” supply of Solpadeine plus for Christmas and the new year.

I’m fully aware of the dangers of both Solpadeine and alcohol, and am addicted to neither.
    I am 45 years of age and treat both with respect.

I resent strongly being interviewed by chemists when trying to buy what I know from my own personal experience is the best remedy for me when I have overdone a Saturday night, so much so that I now avoid pharmacists in the republic at all costs except for all but my “absolutely cant get the item anywhere else” needs.

If I have bought more than two packets of Solpadeine in the twelve months before today I would be surprised, but now find I have three packets in the house.

Just my own story.

💙 💛 💙 💛 💙 💛

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 2,881 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kurtosis

Shulgin wrote: »
    If the government were seriously worried about peoples health there would be some limits placed on the amount of alcohol one person can buy. Codeine is nowhere near as harmful as that poison. No wonder people are amazed.

1. The new codeine guidelines were not introduced by the government.

2. Alcohol is not sold as a medicine to improve people's health. Its sale does not fall under the remit of Pharmaceutical Society of Ireland

3. Codeine is sold as part of a medicine to improve people's health. Inappropriate use of such products can be detrimental to health. Guidelines have been introduced to attempt to reduce inappropriate use and so reduce detrimental effects on people's health.

Amazing!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 245 ✭✭montane

scotchy wrote: »
    Just home from Newry. All stocked up now with my “hangover cure” supply of Solpadeine plus for Christmas and the new year.

I’m fully aware of the dangers of both Solpadeine and alcohol, and am addicted to neither.

I resent strongly being interviewed by chemists when trying to buy what I know from my own personal experience is the best remedy for me when I have overdone a Saturday night, so much so that I now avoid pharmacists in the republic at all costs except for all but my “absolutely cant get the item anywhere else” needs.

If I have bought more than two packets of Solpadeine in the twelve months before today I would be surprised, but now find I have three packets in the house.

Just my own story.

Most people aren't so addicted that they would travel around different chemists in Newry buying Solpadeine. If you're desperate enough to get it, of course you will be successful. So would anyone.

I suppose the only benefit I see from the new guidelines is that it stops casual access to new users, who may otherwise have become addicted. Also alerts everyone as to the dangers of addiction etc.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭ebixa82

Just my own story.

Great story. Congratuations.

montane wrote: »
    Most people aren't so addicted that they would travel around different chemists in Newry buying Solpadeine. If you're desperate enough to get it, of course you will be successful. So would anyone.

I suppose the only benefit I see from the new guidelines is that it stops casual access to new users, who may otherwise have become addicted. Also alerts everyone as to the dangers of addiction etc.

You’re correct. I did go to three different pharmacies in Newry on the same day buying one packet of Solphadeine in each. I have never done anything like this before. I feel a bit guilty having gotten three packs, as one pack would probably last me till next summer.

I do not regularly shop in NI, possibly once every couple of years. I was there today looking at a possible motorcycle purchase and not specifically to purchase Solpadeine, but took the opportunity while I was there to get some.

Also. £4.99 for 32. How much are they down here?

💙 💛 💙 💛 💙 💛

You’re correct. I did go to three different pharmacies in Newry on the same day buying one packet of Solphadeine in each. I have never done anything like this before. I feel a bit guilty having gotten three packs, as one pack would probably last me till next summer.

I do not regularly shop in NI, possibly once every couple of years. I was there today looking at a possible motorcycle purchase and not specifically to purchase Solpadeine, but took the opportunity while I was there to get some.

Hope the expiry date on them is past early 2012.

montane wrote: »
    Hope the expiry date on them is past early 2012.

07-2014:)

💙 💛 💙 💛 💙 💛

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭mickrock

penguin88 wrote: »
    The new codeine guidelines were not introduced by the government.

If a chemist decides to ignore these guidelines are they breaking any laws?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

07-2014:)

Well done Scotchy - I have no immediate plans to go up north, but if I happen to be there Ill be doing the same.

One of the counter assistants in the local chemist told the woman ahead of me (she was getting solpadeine, I was getting something else - not codeine related) that they will soon be asking for prescriptions for codeine containing products. Because of the current paranoia surrounding such products I didnt butt in and ask about this as no doubt they would have silently tagged me as some kind of addict - nor did the lady being served. I dont know how true the comment was - note it wasnt said by a pharmacist, but by a counter assistant. It was said in the context of 'oh they are coming down very hard on us for selling these, we will be asking for prescriptions soon'.

The first thing I thought of was 'time to buy up north' when I overheard this - there is absolutely no way in hell Im paying my GP 60 quid to prescribe some simple painkillers.

• Advertisement

1. The new codeine guidelines were not introduced by the government.

2. Alcohol is not sold as a medicine to improve people's health. Its sale does not fall under the remit of Pharmaceutical Society of Ireland

3. Codeine is sold as part of a medicine to improve people's health. Inappropriate use of such products can be detrimental to health. Guidelines have been introduced to attempt to reduce inappropriate use and so reduce detrimental effects on people's health.

Amazing!

1. I didnt say they were.
    2. I didn't said alcohol was a medicine.
    3 Many products available over the counter are more harmful to health than codeine. Paracetamol for one is much more dangerous than codeine.

Alcohol is more dangerous than either, and has zero restrictions in the amount one can purchase. You can't understand why people find the hypocrisy amazing?

Amazing indeed mr penguin!

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭fearcruach

3 Many products available over the counter are more harmful to health than codeine. Paracetamol for one is much more dangerous than codeine.

Alcohol is more dangerous than either, and has zero restrictions in the amount one can purchase. You can't understand why people find the hypocrisy amazing?

As I mentioned previously Paracetamol is controlled. There are a set of regulations set in law which dictate how much, how many and where paracetamol can be bought. Have you ever wondered why you can only buy 12 packs of paracetamol from a supermarket? Or why most pharmacists will tell you not to take paracetamol with any other paracetamol containing products? To say that paracetamol is freely available is ridiculous.

Also paracetamol is only dangerous in overdose. Codeine has a less dramatic danger but it is still present and the main people that are being targeted by these guidelines are those who have become addicted to codeine insidiously and havn't realised it.

Many patients in my pharmacy were using codeine containing products everyday and were genuinely grateful to realise that it was the codiene driving this. These guidelines are there to protect patients (it's a pharmacists duty of care) and not just to piss everyone off or "control" your life.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 2,881 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kurtosis

May I ask whose hypocrisy you are referring to?

fearcruach wrote: »
    As I mentioned previously Paracetamol is controlled. There are a set of regulations set in law which dictate how much, how many and where paracetamol can be bought. Have you ever wondered why you can only buy 12 packs of paracetamol from a supermarket? Or why most pharmacists will tell you not to take paracetamol with any other paracetamol containing products? To say that paracetamol is freely available is ridiculous.

Also paracetamol is only dangerous in overdose. Codeine has a less dramatic danger but it is still present and the main people that are being targeted by these guidelines are those who have become addicted to codeine insidiously and havn't realised it.

Many patients in my pharmacy were using codeine containing products everyday and were genuinely grateful to realise that it was the codiene driving this. These guidelines are there to protect patients (it's a pharmacists duty of care) and not just to piss everyone off or "control" your life.

I agree, 100%
    I didnt say paracetamol was freely available btw, and rightly so along with codeine. I was just responding to what asstrix said regarding drink.

Isn't just a little hypocritical when someone can buy all the drink they want without any restrictions. Where are the vintners/diagio/governments guidelines when it comes to peddling alcohol?

Penguin88 couldnt bring himself to take that in..

Again, I have no problem with any substance being regulated and restricted if there is a possibility of people causing themselves harm. It is the hypocrisy.. that's all.

It amazes me that people can walk into a shop and buy crates of beer, vodka and whiskey which they can become addicted to or even die from if they drink enough.
    You can go in and buy Ciggerettes full of nicotine and tar and fill your lungs full of sh*te.
    But now you cant go in and buy afew tablets thats without the approval of a doctor.

Madness!

May I ask whose hypocrisy you are referring to?

The hypocrisy of how easy it is to get a deadly amount of alcohol vs how difficult it is to get a packet of codeine based pills.

Is that really so hard to understand?

The hypocrisy of how easy it is to get a deadly amount of alcohol vs how difficult it is to get a packet of codeine based pills.

Just because two dangerous drugs with no therapeutic value are freely available (mainly because of longstanding traditional use, and they would never be made legal if they were discovered tomorrow), doesnt mean it should apply to all. It's like saying "$hit, I broke my finger, might as well jump off a building now and break both my legs while I'm at it"

Aside from that , alcohol and cigarettes have no relevance to any medicinal supply legislation.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭fearcruach

Pharmacists have a duty of care to their patients that includes:

- that a medicinal product is safe for the intended purpose
    - that the medicinal product is suitable for the intended purpose
    - and that is the optimal therapy for the patient

However, alcohol is not classified as a medicine for obvious social and historical reasons. So it can't be compared to regulated medicine. If alcohol came onto the market today it would be a controlled substance like cocaine or heroin. But it isn't. So you can't compare them. Publicans dont' have a duty of care to their customers.

It would only be hypocritical if pharmacies sold alcohol freely. Which they obviously don't.

I don't think you fully understand the the meaning of hypocrisy. The two substances you are talking about have completely different purposes and are regulated in completely different ways. Following your logic, do you think it is hypocritical that bleach and carving knives can be purchased in unrestricted amounts as well?

I don't think you fully understand the the meaning of hypocrisy. The two substances you are talking about have completely different purposes and are regulated in completely different ways. Following your logic, do you think it is hypocritical that bleach and carving knives can be purchased in unrestricted amounts as well?

I don't think you get it . I know they are two different substances with very different purposes. The point was made that it's crazy how alcohol is so freely available being such a commonly abused drug. That is all.

I'll say it again, I agree that codeine should be restricted, just like other possibly harmful and possibly addictive drugs, whether recreational, or medicinal.

You dont think alcohol availability can be compared codeine's, I do. Lets leave it there shall we?

• Advertisement

I don't think you get it . I know they are two different substances with very different purposes. The point was made that it's crazy how alcohol is so freely available being such a commonly abused drug. That is all.

I'll say it again, I agree that codeine should be restricted, just like other possibly harmful and possibly addictive drugs, whether recreational, or medicinal.

You dont think alcohol availability can be compared codeine's, I do. Lets leave it there shall we?

Alot of Muslim countries would agree with you

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement