Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Soon to need a prescription for Nurofen/Solphadine/etc?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Connie_c28

The regulation is that is no longer allow to advertise or show the likes of Solphodine or Nureofen plus but any medication available before is still available but you just need to ask for it from the counter staff.......the idea is to stop people compulsive buying the likes.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 2,881 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kurtosis

Con1988 wrote: »
    This is just another great revenue generation scheme hidden under a famous word we have all seen allot during the boom... Regulation. Regulation my left foot. Solpadine is the only pain killer that works and works well at that. Now they are going to get people to pay 60-70 quid at a doctor first before paying another 8 quid for a box of it!! This is ridiculous!!

Sorry to interrupt your rant, but may I please direct you to the post directly above yours...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Alicat

Odysseus wrote: »
    I see your point, and I don't want to continue focusing on that poster. So to move it into a more general discussion, I do believe that a significant amount of health care workers hold a very judgemental and derogatory view of people with substance use disorders. I see it happening most days.

Now in general while a person may not show it in their interaction with a client, such "fly away" comments as you mentioned would suggest that such an attitude is present. Though this may not be correct 100% of the time.

Also just to make the point about pharmacists, I have met some with such an attitude; but I want to balance that out by acknowledging that some are excellence in the way they interact with addicts, even the ones who display challenging behaviours.

If someone is discriminating against a person solely because they have a substance abuse problem, they are ill-informed and need to be educated. So many of these addicts are 'normal' fathers/mothers/brothers/sisters, who are generally nice people that have unfortunately developed a problem.

Then there are the few bad apples who give the whole crowd a very bad name, just general nasty people who would be just the same, addiction or not but people associate it with the addiction, not the nasty personality. Also, not to the mention those who are so desperate to get their fix/supply that they will terrorize people and are willing to risk someone else's life to get it. You can't blame people for being wary when dealing with addicts. Until you get to know someone you can't totally trust them, and unfortunately people with substance abuse problems have that extra uncertainty about them that makes people hesitate. However, thinking that it's ok to disrespect or look down upon a person with an addiction is a horrible attitude to have, particularly when working in health services, who should know better!

To focus on the topic, I have yet to see any of these codeine addicts go to the extremes that the more recognised 'junkies' will go to, but they will lie through their teeth and use any and all stories and opportunities to get what they want. Who knows to what lengths these people will go to in the future as the codeine restrictions stay in place.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭ebixa82

last time I had Solphedine was for a cold/flu last year and they were great,.

Total Placebo effect and unnecessary use of Solpadeine. This is why these regs have been brought in..
    Mr.S wrote: »
    Bit of a joke this, everytime i go to buy a packet of Nurofen Plus, i get some lecture :rolleyes:

Please, just give me what I want that will cure my hangover / headache (Yes, i have tried the other, non codeine ones, they do **** all for me).

I am not a junkie. I am not addicted. I just want the products that will "fix" me in the quickest time.

This new thing is a bit silly, its not like they are refusing to serve you, they just make the process longer and annoying.

How often are you going exactly? The new guidelines are barely in a month. You should have needed to buy such products at most twice I would say.
    Odysseus wrote: »
    Great display of professionalism, I hope you don't dispense methadone with an attitude like that. I have said this before but there is something seriously wrong with the way drug users are treated by certain professions in Ireland. Even with those who work within the treatment regimes there is often a shocking judgemental attitude.

I'm not judgemental at all. I think Alicat summed it up perfectly and you seem to have understood her point of view, and hopefully, in doing so, mine.

I dispense to about 15-20 methadone patients a day. They are treated with the utmost of respect, we engage in conversation, have a laugh. However there is around 10% who unfortunately cannot be trusted and who I have caught stealing on several occasions. I'm sure the same % can be found in the general population.

My point about "having a laugh" was not directed at anyone with an addiction. Please give me some credit. It was directed at the idiots coming in demanding NP or SP unnecessarily (mild headache, bit of a hangover, blocked nose, runny nose) and when you don't give it to them they personally abuse and insult you..

If you were not able to take this abuse on the chin and find the humour in it (on reflection) then you could have some very long days doing a 12 hour shift in an inner city pharmacy..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Was in Dundrum earlier and got Solpadeine no problem in chemist there, told them that I found Paracetamol on its own was no good, he just said don't try and buy a pack a day, I said I wont need a pack a day, good to see that not all of the pharmacists are idiots who jump when the Dept. of Health tell them to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

good to see that not all of the pharmacists are idiots who jump when the Dept. of Health tell them to.
    Especially when this directive didn't come from the Department of Health.

Especially when this directive didn't come from the Department of Health.

Whatever, Pharmaceutical Society of Ireland then, still a load of bollox, I'm a red meat eating, drinker and smoker who's sick of all this namny state crap!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

Nonsense,

no it's not.

no it's not.

Irish Times said 84 people sought treatment for codeine addiction in 2008! So 84 people are dictating the law now, wake up people. I hope I'm long dead before the vegan, jogging health freaks are running this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Whatever, Pharmaceutical Society of Ireland then, still a load of bollox, I'm a red meat eating, drinker and smoker who's sick of all this namny state crap!

Sure, but 150 years ago it was legal to bait-bears, smoke opium and have sex with 12-year olds.

I'm sure that somewhere there's a bear-baiting opium-addicted pederast cursing the nanny-state too.

I'm being sarcastic BTW.

• Advertisement

Irish Times said 84 people sought treatment for codeine addiction in 2008! So 84 people are dictating the law now, wake up people. I hope I'm long dead before the vegan, jogging health freaks are running this country.

you said nonsense in reply to me saying that solpadiene does nothing for a cold. it doesn't. the cold and flu are viral infections. the only thing that can have an effect on them is a vaccine, or failing that, your own body's antibodies, which take a few days to develop seeing as those viruses mutate almost every year.
    watch the episode of the simpsons when everyone in springfield gets the osaka flu. most people on this thread are acting like the people in springfield, crying out for a placebo.
    solpadiene is an analgesic, not an NSAID like ibuprofen. it has no effect on how long a cold or flu will effect you.

and like it's been stated so many times already, you don't need a fecking script for solpadiene.

you said nonsense in reply to me saying that solpadiene does nothing for a cold. it doesn't. the cold and flu are viral infections. the only thing that can have an effect on them is a vaccine, or failing that, your own body's antibodies, which take a few days to develop seeing as those viruses mutate almost every year.
    watch the episode of the simpsons when everyone in springfield gets the osaka flu. most people on this thread are acting like the people in springfield, crying out for a placebo.
    solpadiene is an analgesic, not an NSAID like ibuprofen. it has no effect on how long a cold or flu will effect you.

and like it's been stated so many times already, you don't need a fecking script for solpadiene.

I didn't say it cures a cold did I? It relieves aches and pains/makes me feel better more than paracetamol on its own, is that too much to ask for? Obviously it is for the sake of the 84 "addicts".Anyway If I was to become an addict I'd go for smack or coke, codeine's for wimps.

I didn't say it cures a cold did I? It relieves aches and pains/makes me feel better more than paracetamol on its own, is that too much to ask for? Obviously it is for the sake of the 84 "addicts".Anyway If I was to become an addict I'd go for smack or coke, codeine's for wimps.

yawn.

you said what i said was nonsense. it wasn't. read it again. then go get yourself some smack. you deserve it big guy!

yawn.

you said what i said was nonsense. it wasn't. read it again. then go get yourself some smack. you deserve it big guy!

You would literally give an aspirin a headache.

You would literally give an aspirin a headache.

take a bow, jamie redknapp!

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭fearcruach

Do you think the number of people seeking treatment is the same as number of addicts?

fearcruach wrote: »
    Do you think the number of people seeking treatment is the same as number of addicts?

No but for instance there must be around 200,000 people in Ireland who are "addicted" to chips and burgers etc to the real detriment of their health, surely these shouldn't be sold without an interview process either going by the logic on this forum?

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭fearcruach

Burgers and chips aren't addictive. Codeine is. Plain and simple

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

My packet of Solpadeine arrived from ChemistDirect on Monday, 5 days after I ordered them.

They've been happily sitting there unopened, waiting for when I need them (the idea of wanting to have them handy in my press at a future date, but not needing them now, was anathema to the couple of chemists I went into in town (Dublin) who refused the sale).

I also bunged in some other products I regularly buy (e.g., a months supply of Nicorettes) and saved roughly 40% on what these products would cost in Ireland. Seems to be some huge profit margins in this industry in Ireland, no wonder they were so opposed to dereg a few years ago.

Unfortunately the delivery charge to Ireland was very high (€17 on a total purchases of €50) which negated most of the savings.

However there is free delivery to UK or NI addresses - anyone with access to a NI delivery address would be mad not be utilising this sort of legitimate company for their families medicinal purchases.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

Burgers and chips aren't addictive. ...
    and as has already been stated in relation to alcohol, burgers and chips are not a medicine, don't (normally at any rate) contain codeine, and thus their sale and consumption fall outside the guidelines being discussed in this thread.

• Advertisement

He doesn't think full stop!

No but for instance there must be around 200,000 people in Ireland who are "addicted" to chips and burgers etc to the real detriment of their health, surely these shouldn't be sold without an interview process either going by the logic on this forum?

Is this guy a troll or just a bit dim?

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Drella118

My packet of Solpadeine arrived from ChemistDirect on Monday, 5 days after I ordered them.

Just in case you didn't know, buying medicines from mail order pharmacies (whether legitimate or not in their own countries) is illegal in Ireland. It's not a criminal offence and I don't think that customs are likely to start prosecuting people, but anything that you order, whether on prescription or over the counter in Ireland, is liable to be seized by customs.

Not judging the rightness or wrongness of your actions, just pointing out the law as it stands

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

Drella118 wrote: »
    Just in case you didn't know, buying medicines from mail order pharmacies (whether legitimate or not in their own countries) is illegal in Ireland. It's not a criminal offence and I don't think that customs are likely to start prosecuting people, but anything that you order, whether on prescription or over the counter in Ireland, is liable to be seized by customs.

Not judging the rightness or wrongness of your actions, just pointing out the law as it stands

Can you provide a link to the legislation covering this please?

This article would suggest that it is not illegal unless they are prescription medicines.

And this publication from IMB themselves:

actually states:
    The IMB strongly recommends that you never purchase a medicine over the internet

It also states:
    In Ireland, the supply of prescription medicines through the internet is against the law and no online pharmacy is authorised to operate in this country.

But nowhere does it state that it is illegal to buy an otc medicine online. And until I see the legislation covering it I dont have an issue ordering my otc medicines from registered UK online pharmacies.

Can you provide a link to the legislation covering this please?

This article would suggest that it is not illegal unless they are prescription medicines.

And this publication from IMB themselves:

actually states:

It also states:

But nowhere does it state that it is illegal to buy an otc medicine online. And until I see the legislation covering it I dont have an issue ordering my otc medicines from registered UK online pharmacies.

I do it all the time, never a problem and much cheaper then the rip off merchants over here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

My friends mother has a repeat presciption for extra strong solphadine so she hooks me up when I need some. I'm not gonna stand in a pharmacy explaining my life story to some fecking pharmacist on a power trip. S/he will probley still refuse to sell me it in the end anyway and recommend Anadin or some other crap. I need my Codine!!!!!!!:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Alicat

Faith+1 wrote: »
    My friends mother has a repeat presciption for extra strong solphadine so she hooks me up when I need some. I'm not gonna stand in a pharmacy explaining my life story to some fecking pharmacist on a power trip. S/he will probley still refuse to sell me it in the end anyway and recommend Anadin or some other crap. I need my Codine!!!!!!!:mad:

No you don't need it, you want it; two totally different things. If you NEED it go to your doctor.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

... extra strong solphadine ... I need my Codine ...
    You should be OK; the guidelines do not apply to these two substances.

You NEED to learn how to spell! Must be all that codine you're taking..

AFAIK pharmacists don't give a fcuk about your life story, they simply would like to know why exactly you request a painkiller which has the potential to cause addiction in misuse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭littlefriend

This thread is a great read. I can't believe the amount of people claiming a need rather than a want for solphadine or neurofen +.

For me, disprin extra, feminax and paracetamol are good getting rid of headaches or cramps. Before anyone says I don't know painnnnnnn like they do - I'm pretty sure I do as I have major issues with my back because of repeated surgery on 3 slipped discs.

I used to take a LOT of pain medication and I really think that 95% of the time the extra 'painkiller' everyone is talking [ie codeine] is not actually killing pain but taking the edge off a little by relaxing you. I don't really think it makes an enormous difference to the pain but it makes it easier to deal with being in pain. That is my experience anyway.

When I heard about the new rules for selling these products I thought it was unnecessary but after reading this thread I can see why it has been put in place.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement