Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Soon to need a prescription for Nurofen/Solphadine/etc?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭policeman

Yeah, I'll wear my solpadeine hat in court.

Of course, suddenly deciding 'to care about us' since August doesn't currently preclude said smug pharmacists from legal action for selling this addictive substance for years and years, the drug they're all of a sudden so concerned about. Imagine it, mass legal action by hundreds if not thousands of people who are now 'codeine addicts', as a direct result of them knowingly selling it. Or perhaps maybe a continuous stream of lawsuits. Now that would be fun. :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 2,881 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kurtosis

policeman wrote: »

Of course, suddenly deciding 'to care about us' since August doesn't currently preclude said smug pharmacists from legal action for selling this addictive substance for years and years, the drug they're all of a sudden so concerned about. Imagine it, mass legal action by hundreds if not thousands of people who are now 'codeine addicts', as a direct result of them knowingly selling it. Or perhaps maybe a continuous stream of lawsuits. Now that would be fun. :D

Oh I see your point, so it will be just like all those alcoholics who brought law suits against the pubs and off-licences and the smokers suing the newsagents...or not. How many years have codeine containing OTC medicines been on the market in this country and how many law suits have resulted from this?

To be honest judging by responses both in pharmacies and on this thread, the most likely cause for legal action would be a pharmacist refusing to supply a codeine addict with their fix.

Now now don't compare it with alcohol, or cigarettes.tut tut. They're not relevant remember? Everyone knows the risks with booze and tobacco.

These on the otherhand are products explicitly sold for medicinal use only, the risks of which known for a century but conveniently ignored until, eh, last month.

Addiction to opiates is much more serious as you and your compadres would agree, and for some opportunistic lawyers and their poor addicted clients this might just prove to be a bit of a bonanza.
    People now without their fix, as a result of the guidelines are only now realising they are addicted so that's why there haven't been any lawsuits before.This could all change.

Now this is all wild speculation I admit, but who knows, anything can happen:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

These on the otherhand are products explicitly sold for medicinal use only, the risks of which known for a century but conveniently ignored until, eh, last month.

Who has been witholding that codeine is addictive? I'm not a medical professional and I have known this for a long time. I think I may have discovered this top secret information by reading the info that comes with the packaging. Oh, and paying attention to the advice my Dr./dentist gave me any time they advised me to take a codeine containing otc product.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

How many of the sales were conducted directly by the pharmacist before the new guidelines? The vast majority were by the OTC assistant. This has changed and it is now necessary for pharmacists to see the patient.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,331 ✭✭✭✭bronte

It is true though, females swallow painkillers at a ridiculous rate.

Oh Gee, I wonder why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Insomniac_

BogMonkey wrote: »
    What business is it of yours what other people like to take. Does other people taking painkillers affect you in any way?

Its not healthy... you see girls of the age of 13(1st year) begging the older girls for painkillers (Headache) what everyday? go too a doctor

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭ebixa82

Remember the reason why there are so many codeine nazi's on this thread is because of the risk of litigation when it comes to these otc drugs, in fact it's the main reason why these guideines exist. Loss of money through massive law suits scare the bejeezus out of them. Don't be duped into thinking any of these gestapo officers actually give a fiddlers about what, why, and how much you ingest. It's pure folly.

There is absolutely no risk of litigation with these products.

To put it quite simply, you are talking absolute bollix.

BTW can you explain why you are comparing highly trained health care professionals to a political party, involved in biological racism and antisemitism, responsible for the death of millions of Jews during WWII?

Well now Mr Smugerino of Smugdom, just for the sake of argument there is in fact one way I can make such a comparison involving health care professionals:
    I suppose you could say they gave the unsuspecting victims poison in the form of zyklon b, and the multi billion euro drugs industry, propped up by the health care profession, has been unscrupulously feeding humanity all sort of poisons, some of which have killed and maimed over the decades [yet another example: http://www.nigeriavillagesquare.com/articles/paul-adujie/kano-nigeria-versus-pfizer-pharmaceuticals.html - there are loads more cases like this], or, as in the case of addictive substances, caused massive dependance

Well now Mr Smugerino of Smugdom, just for the sake of argument there is in fact one way I can make such a comparison involving health care professionals:
    I suppose you could say they gave the unsuspecting victims poison in the form of zyklon b, and the multi billion euro drugs industry, propped up by the health care profession, has been unscrupulously feeding humanity all sort of poisons, some of which have killed and maimed over the decades [yet another example: http://www.nigeriavillagesquare.com/articles/paul-adujie/kano-nigeria-versus-pfizer-pharmaceuticals.html - there are loads more cases like this], or, as in the case of addictive substances, caused massive dependance

Is that you Jim Corr??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

nurofen's for pussies.;)

ch750536 wrote: »
    nurofen's for pussies.;)

Pussies and inflammation. At least that's what it says on the packaging!

Making light of me in general is one thing, but making light of me because I referenced something where people died is another.

Are you a lowlife hiding underneath that smug blanket, as one might expect?

It's scary to think that people like you deal with other human beings, and part of your job is pretending to care, and I've no doubt that you pretend very well my friend.

In fact your next post will be protesting this accusation, all part of the pretense.

http://theglobalrealm.com/2010/07/11/pfizer-the-drug-giant-that-makes-bank-from-drugs-that-can-kill-you/

:cool:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 2,881 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kurtosis

Making light of me in general is one thing, but making light of me because I referenced something where people died is another.

Are you a lowlife hiding underneath that smug blanket, as one might expect?

It's scary to think that people like you deal with other human beings, and part of your job is pretending to care, and I've no doubt that you pretend very well my friend.

In fact your next post will be protesting this accusation, all part of the pretense.

http://theglobalrealm.com/2010/07/11/pfizer-the-drug-giant-that-makes-bank-from-drugs-that-can-kill-you/

:cool:

Pfizer don't have any codeine-containing medicines on the market, what's the relevance of the link?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Ahhhh Shít Neurofens the only thing that properly gets rid of my migrane - why will there need to be a prescription for it? I get solpadine as it contains codine which is fairly addictive but Neurofens grand like

Nurofen and nurofen plus are available without prescription.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

bleg wrote: »
    Nurofen and nurofen plus are available without prescription.

Isn't the thread title "Soon to need a prescription for..." :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

PaulieC wrote: »

Yeah, that was a mistake

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

PaulieC wrote: »
    Unfortunately the thread title and a lot of the thread content is inaccurate, misleading and just generally doodoo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 FishWhiskers

Do these regulations apply to pholcodine cough medicines too? I don't think pholcodine is addictive like codeine but it is an opiate. I hope they don't regulate that too because thats by far the best remedy I've found for those dry, tickly coughs. Benylin and other dextromethorphan ones make me feel weird so I don't take them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭Kasabian

I was in Boots on Sunday and went to the counter to ask for some Nurofen Plus, was told by the girl at the counter that I would have to speak with the Pharmacist. Ok no big deal there. Stood back and waited my turn. Next two people in the queue are then promptly served with packs of Nurofen. I notice this and mention it to my brother who has just come into the shop, he says "you look stoned".

I go to the counter and ask the girl why she has me waiting for the Pharmacist when she has just given two customers Nurofen.

Turns out Nurofen and Nurofen Plus are very different animals. Thank God I wasn't stoned I would have been very upset by the victimisation.:pac:

Kasabian wrote: »
    I was in Boots on Sunday and went to the counter to ask for some Nurofen Plus, was told by the girl at the counter that I would have to speak with the Pharmacist. Ok no big deal there. Stood back and waited my turn. Next two people in the queue are then promptly served with packs of Nurofen. I notice this and mention it to my brother who has just come into the shop, he says "you look stoned".

I go to the counter and ask the girl why she has me waiting for the Pharmacist when she has just given two customers Nurofen.

Turns out Nurofen and Nurofen Plus are very different animals. Thank God I wasn't stoned I would have been very upset by the victimisation.:pac:

Is there a point to this story other than your brother thought you looked stoned?

bleg wrote: »
    Is there a point to this story other than your brother thought you looked stoned?

No, maybe, yes thanks for asking.

Now have you a reason for your query or are you just trying to be smart.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 FishWhiskers

No ****. Do you even look at the active ingredients of the pharmaceutical products you use?

No ****. Do you even look at the active ingredients of the pharmaceutical products you use?

Yes in great detail. I like to mix them correctly.

My post was suppose to be anecdotal as in the other people only asked for Nurofen and didn't need to talk to the Pharmacist, I not realising this and having asked for Nurofen Plus was a little put out.

That is all , no great world changing accurance, just a misunderstanding on my side that I thought I would share.

Sorry if I have upset anyone.

Are you a chemist?

:pac:

No, maybe, yes thanks for asking.

Now have you a reason for your query or are you just trying to be smart.

Just genuinely didn't know if there was a point.

The reason for this is that there are new guidelines in practice in relation to the sale of codeine containing products. Nurofen does not contain codeine and so can be sold by non-pharmacist members of staff..

There used to be a big long thread on it in AH before, 80% of which consisted of misinformation, and anecdotal evidence of addiction and abuse..if I find it I'll pass you on the link!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 michael2121

I went to the boots in the wilton today to buy some solpadeine and my god where to begin. First interrogated about why i was buying it then after i said it was for my Girlfriend who is at home suffering from a massive headache i was told she had to come in or else i cannot buy it. so i left.

then went to o' sullivans in the wilton and after a lecture about codine and saying it was for me and that i had tried paracetamol and nurofen they sold me a 12 pack when i had asked for a 24 pack. not that i need to state but a 24 box would last me months.

This is a Joke to say the least and how many people realistically are hooked on solpadeine ? So now i have to lie to get medicine. next we will have to get it from a drug dealer.

So now here is the tutorial to buy medicine :
    1. Listen to the lecture about the new legislation about codeine containing products.
    2. State one of the following symptoms :
    Headache Neuralgia
    Rheumatic Pain Backache
    Cold/influenza Sore throat
    Toothache Period Pain
    Migraine Feverishness

Pick one of the ones that is harder to cure with paracetamol and nurofen

3. Say you have taken paracetamol and nurofen and that they did not work.
    4. Then cross your fingers and you might get a 12 box WAHOO !!!!!

This is what it has come to. so there is my advice and best of luck. Freedom Ya right !!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

So now here is the tutorial to buy medicine :
    1. Listen to the lecture about the new legislation about codeine containing products.
    2. State one of the following symptoms :
    Headache Neuralgia
    Rheumatic Pain Backache
    Cold/influenza Sore throat
    Toothache Period Pain
    Migraine Feverishness

Pick one of the ones that is harder to cure with paracetamol and nurofen

I tried the period pain thing but they didn't believe me. Damn my beard to hell!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭gcgirl

I suffer from back pain, Trap nerve down my left side, Mingraine since i was 7/8,
    Sinus problems in which some cases i am trying to get silicon like **** out of my nose and a freaking prolasped womb, I suppose i could stay in bed but i've 3 kids to raise and i need my pain killers before i end up killing some one!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement