Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Soon to need a prescription for Nurofen/Solphadine/etc?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,313 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

haveablast wrote: »
    Not something that should be highlighted, and also illegal to buy medicines by post...

I'm fairly sure that so long as the products themselves are legal that its perfectly ok to purchase them by post.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 2,881 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kurtosis

I'm fairly sure that so long as the products themselves are legal that its perfectly ok to purchase them by post.

Not necessarily true. The supply of medicinal products my mail order is illegal. An exemption was introduced so that this did not apply to "a medicinal product which by virtue of these Regulations may be supplied otherwise than in accordance with a prescription."

So in general, mail order supply of non-prescription medicines in not illegal. However for codeine-containing over the counter medicines, their non-prescription status is not granted by the regulations mentioned in the quote above (S.I. No. 540/2003), but by the Misuse of Drugs Act since codeine is a controlled drug...so buying them on the 'net may be illegal, perhaps consult a legal expert.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

Looks like they might be relaxing things. Just bought some Uniflu Plus from a Grafton Street pharmacy with no questions. Just told not to take them for more than three days in a row and given a codiene advice sheet.

I agree. Bought some Syndol in the local pharmacy on saturday, the girl said to me 'youre aware of the new regulations?'. I said 'yes, do I have to answer questions?', she said 'no - we just cant display them, but you can still buy them, youre aware youre not supposed to take them for more than 3 days at a time?', me, 'yes'.

That was it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,920 ✭✭✭✭Stark

They're probably getting sick of the abuse.

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭ebixa82

Stark wrote: »
    They're probably getting sick of the abuse.

There's no abuse happening. If someone starts getting agitated and are unwilling to listen to some friendly professional advice then they are showing that they probably have an addiction.

They can shout and scream all they want, they still won't get it, just make idiots of themselves in front of staff and general public.

TBH these kind of people can provide some great entertainment for pharmacists on a wet day!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,067 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

ebixa82 wrote: »
    TBH these kind of people can provide some great entertainment for pharmacists on a wet day!

I'm sure they appreciate being seen as entertainment /s

Let me ask you this as I assume that you're a pharmacist (?).. before these new recommendations came into play did you take the same level of care when selling codeine products to people who you probably knew were addicted?

It seems very hypocritical to me that there are pharmacists on here lacing into the same people they probably happily sold the now taboo products to up until a few weeks ago

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭ebixa82

before these new recommendations came into play did you take the same level of care when selling codeine products to people who you probably knew were addicted?

Yes, otherwise they are failing in their duty as a Pharmacist. Obviously I cannot speak for all pharmacists, just those I have direct dealings with.
    It seems very hypocritical to me that there are pharmacists on here lacing into the same people they probably happily sold the now taboo products to up until a few weeks ago

My point is that the person who posted above me stated that the pharmacists are probably sick of the abuse. Pharmacists are professionals, they wouldn't let someone trying to abuse them get to them..

People who go into a pharmacy lookin for medical advice will always be treated with the upmost of respect, dignity and confidentiality. However if someone comes in and starts abusing a pharmacist simply because they are doing their job then they can fcuk off and go elsewhere. Such customers are not worth the hassle...

I doubt there are many pharmacists out there who would knowingly sell codeine products to a known codeine addict.

Also these drugs are not "taboo products". They are readily available in every pharmacy throughout the country assuming a person requires such products.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Have a really Sh***ty cold, got some panadol for flu tablets yesterday and their useless, last time I had Solphedine was for a cold/flu last year and they were great, I just found an old packet in a drawer and took two, feel a lot better, its ridiculous that you need a prescription/grilling to get them, it would be like needing a perscription for vodka just because some people are alcoholics in other words bolllox, I probably take about 12 tablets for colds/sickness a year, if that, bloody nanny state. Going to order some from english online chemist that I get Nytol (banned here) from for future use.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

Have a really Sh***ty cold, got some panadol for flu tablets yesterday and their useless, last time I had Solphedine was for a cold/flu last year and they were great, I just found an old packet in a drawer and took two, feel a lot better, its ridiculous that you need a prescription/grilling to get them, it would be like needing a perscription for vodka just because some people are alcoholics in other words bolllox, I probably take about 12 tablets for colds/sickness a year, if that, bloody nanny state. Going to order some from english online chemist that I get Nytol (banned here) from for future use.

erm, there's nothing better for a cold than bed rest and fluids. anything else is just a placebo.

erm, there's nothing better for a cold than bed rest and fluids. anything else is just a placebo.

Nonsense, the active ingredients in the likes of Solpadeine do help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

ebixa82 wrote: »
    There's no abuse happening. If someone starts getting agitated and are unwilling to listen to some friendly professional advice then they are showing that they probably have an addiction.

They can shout and scream all they want, they still won't get it, just make idiots of themselves in front of staff and general public.

Great display of professionalism, I hope you don't dispense methadone with an attitude like that. I have said this before but there is something seriously wrong with the way drug users are treated by certain professions in Ireland. Even with those who work within the treatment regimes there is often a shocking judgemental attitude.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭citizen_p

60 quid for headache pills.....i havnt been to a doctor for nearly 3 years now that i think of it, to cheap for 60 quid.
    ffs need to get me a medical card.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Eviledna

What I don't understand is that they have made the Codeine-containing products at pharmacists discretion, but they hand out pseudoephedrine no bother. Surely the same logic applies to that?
    It is an ingredient in the production of crystal meth, and it is heavily controlled in the states.

[I only found this out when I had a cold on holidays in NYC and went into a chemists and asked for sudofed...they asked for my passport and handed me an FBI form...:eek:]

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

Different jurisdictions will have different guidelines. Crystal meth made from pseudoephradine is not a problem in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭messymess

Does anyone know what you don't get the same grilling when you buy alcohol now?

"do you know excessive alcohol use causes liver damage, social issues the ability to turn up for work late and a desire to urinate in unusual places?"

"have you used alcohol before?"

"would you not prefer to have a filtered water?"

I went in to buy soluble solpadine for the picnic lastweek and to help with some joint/muscle pains from jogging. ****ers wouldn't sell it to me ... they'd sell me anything but that.

****ing ridiculous. I'll just buy the stuff on line from UK pharmacies now and give my money to jobs in the UK. All 5 euro per year :)

bleg wrote: »
    Different jurisdictions will have different guidelines. Crystal meth made from pseudoephradine is not a problem in Ireland.

I have encountered a few clients making their own, so it is here. However, from what I'm hearing it's more common with certain non-nationals at the moment. However, there are a small amount of our Irish clients using it.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Ben Hadad

This whole "nanny state" argument is quite rediculous. Chemists are medical scientists with a responsibility to the health and well being of their customers.

Publicans or any other dispensers of drugs are not. To criticise chemists for enacting controls so that proven toxic and addictive drugs will not be sold wholesale is beneficial to all. Personally it would prove the addictivness of these drugs that so many people are so put out by being questioned about their use of these addictive and toxic drugs.

Also I never ever realised that headaches was so rampant in humans. I and all the non-painkiller taking people that I know must be the very lucky few people who don't get them at all.

Shoot, call me crazy but perhaps their is a direct correlation between people who take addictive toxic pain killers and people who suffer from frequent headaches. Shoot, perhaps a symptom of codene withdrawal is headaches. As totally off the wall as it seems, pehaprs there is a sizeable propertion of people who unbeknownst to themselves are not suffering from headaches but actual codene withdrawal.

Hell if all you frequent headach sufferers really want to find an actual cure of your headaches, maybe try not taking anything at all for a say a month. If you still suffer from them well we have some good and bad news. You are not a opium addict which is a good thing, but unfortunately you are one of the very few people who suffers from genuine headaches.

Ben Hadad wrote: »
    This whole "nanny state" argument is quite rediculous. Chemists are medical scientists with a responsibility to the health and well being of their customers.

Publicans or any other dispensers of drugs are not. To criticise chemists for enacting controls so that proven toxic and addictive drugs will not be sold wholesale is beneficial to all. Personally it would prove the addictivness of these drugs that so many people are so put out by being questioned about their use of these addictive and toxic drugs.

Also I never ever realised that headaches was so rampant in humans. I and all the non-painkiller taking people that I know must be the very lucky few people who don't get them at all.

Shoot, call me crazy but perhaps their is a direct correlation between people who take addictive toxic pain killers and people who suffer from frequent headaches. Shoot, perhaps a symptom of codene withdrawal is headaches. As totally off the wall as it seems, pehaprs there is a sizeable propertion of people who unbeknownst to themselves are not suffering from headaches but actual codene withdrawal.

Hell if all you frequent headach sufferers really want to find an actual cure of your headaches, maybe try not taking anything at all for a say a month. If you still suffer from them well we have some good and bad news. You are not a opium addict which is a good thing, but unfortunately you are one of the very few people who suffers from genuine headaches.

Your speaking nonsense, I only take Solphadine 2 or 3 times a year when I have flu type symptoms, anyone I know would be the same and not popping 24 a day, why do we have to suffer because of the tiny minority who abuse them? Let them go to Narcotics Anonymous and let the rest of us get on with our lives without more nanny state bolloxology. Anyway as I said earlier, if idiotic Irish chemists don't want my money I'll buy the stuff on the net, cheaper and less hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭fearcruach

Your speaking nonsense, I only take Solphadine 2 or 3 times a year when I have flu type symptoms, anyone I know would be the same and not popping 24 a day, why do we have to suffer because of the tiny minority who abuse them? Let them go to Narcotics Anonymous and let the rest of us get on with our lives without more nanny state bolloxology. anyway as I said earlier, if idiotic Irish chemists don't want my money I'll buy the stuff on the net.

Been working in a pharmacy since the new regs have come in and I've already seen people who definitely have a problem and it wouldn't have become evident without the Q and A session. Its frustrating for people who don't have a problem but for the system to work you have to deal with everyone in the same way. Codeine addiction is insidious and its not going to have obvious symptoms like some of the stronger addictive medicines.

fearcruach wrote: »
    Been working in a pharmacy since the new regs have come in and I've already seen people who definitely have a problem and it wouldn't have become evident without the Q and A session. Its frustrating for people who don't have a problem but for the system to work you have to deal with everyone in the same way. Codeine addiction is insidious and its not going to have obvious symptoms like some of the stronger addictive medicines.

Thats fine but like the guy above will be spending my fiver a year in the UK or the North on a few packs of lethal Solphadine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

The general ignorance about otc medicines that has been displayed here prooves the need to restrict access to potentially addictive/harmful drugs.

So many people don't ever bother to look at the box to see what they are taking, they just go for a brand name.

How many posters here were able to distinguish between nuerofen and nuerofen+?I know of people who wouldn't know if they are taking paracetomol, aspirin or ibuprofen and think that the word "plus" added to a brand name just means it's the same ingredient only stronger.

All the info you need is in the box, it's not hard, you don't need to be a pharmacist to understand these leaflets. If people rely only on the advertisers for information about analgesics and this is leading to medical mishaps or addiction then restriction is completely justified.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,920 ✭✭✭✭Stark

messymess wrote: »
    Does anyone know what you don't get the same grilling when you buy alcohol now?

"do you know excessive alcohol use causes liver damage, social issues the ability to turn up for work late and a desire to urinate in unusual places?"

"have you used alcohol before?"

"would you not prefer to have a filtered water?"

I went in to buy soluble solpadine for the picnic lastweek and to help with some joint/muscle pains from jogging. ****ers wouldn't sell it to me ... they'd sell me anything but that.

****ing ridiculous. I'll just buy the stuff on line from UK pharmacies now and give my money to jobs in the UK. All 5 euro per year :)

Well I've never met anyone who is so grossly misinformed about alcohol use that they think they need it to treat sore legs from jogging so not quite comparing like with like.

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Alicat

Odysseus wrote: »
    Great display of professionalism, I hope you don't dispense methadone with an attitude like that.

:confused:

Methadone patients have acknowledged and are being treated for their addiction (admittedly by force for some), solpadeine addicts just want their fix and refuse to acknowledge the addiction.

Having these addicts screaming and shouting abuse is hardly fun for us but if we were to get upset everytime one of these addicts called us a 'cow' or a 'bitch' or screamed in our face that they 'have rights', we'd be a weeping mess! We can't let them affect us from doing our job and sometimes it's essential to take things with a pinch of salt and have a positive attitude. Listening to the some of the excuses people have told us has given us a laugh sometimes, they come up with the stupidest stories, but I would never say that their addiction is entertaining to us. It's extremely serious, which is why these new regulations have been brought forward.

I'm sure if you were to ask any doctor/nurse/social worker/garda, amidst all the horror stories and situations that they have to deal with, they will still have a hundred humourous stories about people they have come across in work, even when dealing with extremely serious cases.

Alicat wrote: »
    :confused:

Methadone patients have acknowledged and are being treated for their addiction (admittedly by force for some), solpadeine addicts just want their fix and refuse to acknowledge the addiction.

Having these addicts screaming and shouting abuse is hardly fun for us but if we were to get upset everytime one of these addicts called us a 'cow' or a 'bitch' or screamed in our face that they 'have rights', we'd be a weeping mess! We can't let them affect us from doing our job and sometimes it's essential to take things with a pinch of salt and have a positive attitude. Listening to the some of the excuses people have told us has given us a laugh sometimes, they come up with the stupidest stories, but I would never say that their addiction is entertaining to us. It's extremely serious, which is why these new regulations have been brought forward.

I'm sure if you were to ask any doctor/nurse/social worker/garda, amidst all the horror stories and situations that they have to deal with, they will still have a hundred humourous stories about people they have come across in work, even when dealing with extremely serious cases.

I fully aware of the use and the need for "black humour" when your work brings you into contact with very difficult circumstances. Apart from working in various treatment facilities for nearly 15 years, I used to also be part of the HSE Critical Incident Team.

We supplied the psychological back up to professionals who encountered violence during the course of their duties. Black humour can be a way of coping with some of the difficult and traumatic material that such professions encounter; in some cases day after day. I also work in a centre with addicts who are deemed to be unsuitable for treatment in the community due to their aggressive or impulsive behaviour. In other words, the clients that community pharmacist’s are unwilling to work with, or have refused to treat them. To be fair the facilities to treat clients who engaged in such behaviours are not available to community pharmacists.

However, I personally don't think the post I quoted could be classified as black humour. It was far from it IMO which is why I stated that is was very unprofessional.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Alicat

Odysseus wrote: »

However, I personally don't think the post I quoted could be classified as black humour. It was far from it IMO which is why I stated that is was very unprofessional.

I just thought it was a bit of an unneccesary comment. They can defend themselves I'm sure, but I would hazard a guess that ebixa82 doesn't break their heart laughing everytime they deal with an unfortunate methadone patient! I'm pretty sure he/she doesn't get a giddy kick out of dealing with a codeine addict either. A flyaway comment merely over-playing (perhaps too much for some people's liking) the humour that can come from certain situations.

Alicat wrote: »
    I just thought it was a bit of an unneccesary comment. They can defend themselves I'm sure, but I would hazard a guess that ebixa82 doesn't break their heart laughing everytime they deal with an unfortunate methadone patient! I'm pretty sure he/she doesn't get a giddy kick out of dealing with a codeine addict either. A flyaway comment merely over-playing (perhaps too much for some people's liking) the humour that can come from certain situations.

I see your point, and I don't want to continue focusing on that poster. So to move it into a more general discussion, I do believe that a significant amount of health care workers hold a very judgemental and derogatory view of people with substance use disorders. I see it happening most days.

Now in general while a person may not show it in their interaction with a client, such "fly away" comments as you mentioned would suggest that such an attitude is present. Though this may not be correct 100% of the time.

Also just to make the point about pharmacists, I have met some with such an attitude; but I want to balance that out by acknowledging that some are excellence in the way they interact with addicts, even the ones who display challenging behaviours.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Codeine can have an addictive effect alright, but if that's the path we're going down? Then why not enforce a prescription for alcohol? It's also highly addictive and certainly more destructive.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,067 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Codeine can have an addictive effect alright, but if that's the path we're going down? Then why not enforce a prescription for alcohol? It's also highly addictive and certainly more destructive.

Pointless regulations.. every industry has a 'regulator'. That's what makes it so difficult for any one of them to be truly regulated. There's so much compartmentalization of specialties these days.. it's becoming impossible for anyone to question any of it

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 2,881 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kurtosis

It's like banging your head off of a wall...

1. Codeine-containing painkillers that were available over the counter still do not require a prescription.

2. Alcohol is not a medicine. Codeine-containing painkillers are medicines, not for recreational use. The two situations are unrelated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 Con1988

laugh wrote: »
    *** THE PERSON WHO GAVE ME THE INFORMATION BELOW APPEARS TO HAVE BEEN INCORRECT ***

Maybe I've been living under a rock in regard to this.

The chemist mentioned this morning that from the 1st of August you will need a prescription to buy painkillers containing codeine.

I'm thinking it will drive people who wouldn't have previously considered buying medicines online to do so.

Apologies if this has been discussed before.

This is just another great revenue generation scheme hidden under a famous word we have all seen allot during the boom... Regulation. Regulation my left foot. Solpadine is the only pain killer that works and works well at that. Now they are going to get people to pay 60-70 quid at a doctor first before paying another 8 quid for a box of it!! This is ridiculous!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement