Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Awful Polish Food

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 401 ✭✭steel_spine

Spain is one country I wouldn't be visiting for it's food, the only redeeming point was their chocolate! Everything was very wattery and weak flavoured; I had veal in one restaurant and needed a saw to cut it up.

Ireland cuisine ftw - where else would you get mushy pea pies?!

:confused: The only time I've ever had food that was less than delicious in Spain was when I bought prepackaged ****e for lunch in a supermarket (which serves me right)
    I'd move there for the food in a heartbeat.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭nachoman

slightly off topic here,
    I wondering is there going to be a polish food tent at the festival of world cultures next weekend, I wouldn't mind trying some pierogi there.

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭andala

Wow, OP, you're really brave. I'm Polish and I would never buy ready meals from Polish shops :eek:

Tastes depend on what we were brought up to like. I understand you may hate pickled cabbage (I thought the word was sauerkraut) or half-fermented cucumbers but enjoy vinegar on your chips or in your mayonnaise.

I'd never claim Polish cuisine is tasty or healthy. Most meats are either fried or served with gravy (or both), veggies are generally covered in thick mayo or full cream and desserts are usually very fattening.

What surprised me here, as far as food is concerned, was that all your butters are salty. Even those for making pastry :confused: Also your sweets are way too sweet for me and if you buy pork, it's salty to the point of being inedible. I'm surprised you don't eat fish from the rivers - pikes, eels or bass are yummy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭worded

More racism. just coz their food ain't nice doesn't mean they're bad people.

You are saying they are mean bad people?

The came over here and stole our wimmins dont forget.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

we buy their breadcrumbs which are excellent for cooking. I bought a large bag of Flips or something like that, they look like wotsits. But they had no tastes. Perhaps they have no calories which would explain the trim figures.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

I know polish food leaves an awful black stain in your mouth after eating it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

This Thread's a load of Sh1t

why? its simple Irish people generally cant cook food veg is usually over cooked as for meet don't even get me started..

then wait for it if it doesn't have mayo or ketchup there not interested... I don't see how people can say other food is crap when they smoother there own food with tomato ketchup and mayo...
    :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭barakus

bigos is delicious though if someone cooks it for you not from a can, also the polish bakeries are great

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭waynewex

HEY GUYS I TRIED SOME FOOD I HAD NEVER EATEN BEFORE AND FOUND OUT I DIDN'T LIKE IT. SHOULD I MAKE A TOPIC ABOUT IT?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

I like chleb

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭paky

i new a group of poles. they use to spread LARD on their sandwiches. i tried it. discusting, nearly puked

:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

"Apart from the wild and tame fowl for everyday consumption, there were a few which were outstanding as celebratory birds for feasts and festivals. These were swans and peacocks among the rich, and herons and bustards for those less well off. The pacock made a fine show on a festive occassion...More usual than peacocks at feasts of the nobiltiy were swans. The Percy Family [Medieval England] at them on the principal festivals of the church at the rate of five for Christmas Day, four for Twelfth Night, three for New Year's Day...The family consumed an enormous range of both moor and waterfowl during the year, but the swans were appointed for those special days. Swan was roasted like goose, and served with chawdron sauce...Those who were not in the swan-eating class had goose or chicken."
    ---Food & Drink in Britain: From the Stone Age to the 19th Century, C. Anne Wilson [Academy Chicago:Chicago] 1991 (p. 124-125)
    It was the introduction of the turkey from the Americas that ousted the swan from the xmas dinner table.
    It was common throughout Europe but I think in Ireland the thought has a certain repulsion because of the teaching of the "Children of Lir" story at a young age.
    I love thai food but when I went to Cambodia I found the local favorite snack of deep fried spiders off putting. The locals looked happy enough munching away at them on the bus but I played it safe and stuck to my dried mango pieces.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭up for anything

Ireland cuisine ftw - where else would you get mushy pea pies?!

In the UK, of course. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭FunnyStuff

My fiance is Slovak and their foods would be very similiar to Polish food. I find alot of their food's very nice, beautiful meats, really well cooked veg and some of the breads they do are fantastic. My favourite would be a sweet cabbage dish her mother does with dumplings, absolutely fantastic. Washed down with a nice pint of Saris. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

andala wrote: »
    What surprised me here, as far as food is concerned, was that all your butters are salty. Even those for making pastry :confused: Also your sweets are way too sweet for me and if you buy pork, it's salty to the point of being inedible. I'm surprised you don't eat fish from the rivers - pikes, eels or bass are yummy.

You can get unsalted butter for baking in most supermarkets (even my local Centra has it). We do love our salted butter - a friend of mine used to butter his bread and then sprinkle salt over it! God knows what his blood pressure is like...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭matchthis

The food we grow up with is the food we become to love. My bro emigrated to Auz and most the time all he wants is some proper Irish grub! I'm sure some nationalities taste our food and think, what muck and some think it's the best. It's down to what we like, the way we cook it, they way we eat it and for some where and who we eat it with. FYI auzzies got no chicken balls :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭andala

Chinasea wrote: »
    we buy their breadcrumbs which are excellent for cooking. I bought a large bag of Flips or something like that, they look like wotsits. But they had no tastes. Perhaps they have no calories which would explain the trim figures.

Flips come in different flavours, you must have bought the basic ones, which basically means corn flour. In Poland when you introduce finger foods, you generally give children Flips so that they can exercise their gums :) I prefer nut or cheese flavoured ones :)

Oh yes, breadcrumbs - the difference is yours are sort of moist and ours are dry. I can't say there's much of a difference in taste though...

mrsdewinter - thanks, I'll have a look then, I tried most chain shops but couldn't find them. Maybe I wasn't looking hard enough :o

Swans? Only as dessert :D I couldn't stop laughing when I read about these Poles eating swans...nowhere in Poland have I heard about swan dishes. Apparently you have really tasty ones in Ireland :D

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Merowig

Am half German/half Romanian and like most Polish Food - some of it resembles what I know from home.
    It is as well quite heavy.

Lard is eaten as well in Germany and Romania on bread - so nothing unusal about that for me and I love it.

Bigos is one of my favourites and even the one out of the can is good.
    Wedel chocoloate is as well nice and you find as well some German products in Polish shops (Milka, Knoppers, Nimm2...) .

Irish bread is s*** and I can't see toast anymore so am quite happy about the Polish bread which doesn't equal the taste and quality of German bread but resembles it in an acceptabel way.

Same with the dumplings - was not abel to find for Christmas German dumplings so took the Polish ones (which are quite smaller and also taste different)

Minus:
    Have tried once Flaki - nothing I would eat again unless I'm starving.

The Polish have (at least from my perspective) a strange habit to put ketchup on top of their pizzas - but I find it less worse than the Irish "Chips sandwhich"

Have tried as well Polish gherkins - not really eatable so happy to found German ones in LIDL

Regarding Irish food Irish Stew is OK and I got quite fast used to Chips and vinegar and garlic mushrooms :-)

Irish breakfast was harder to get used to but now I like it.
    That was it as Irish cusine is defacto non-existent.

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭rantyface

There's a reason Italian, Indian and Mexican cuisine have taken off and Polish and Irish cuisine haven't. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

rantyface wrote: »
    There's a reason Italian, Indian and Mexican cuisine have taken off and Polish and Irish cuisine haven't. :D

A lot of those cuisines have been fairly butchered and dumbed down for the Irish/English/US markets though.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Merowig

syklops wrote: »
    Gospoda Polska Polish restaurant
    15 Capel Street,
    Dublin 1
    T: 01 8749394

Pierogi is gorgeous, not bland at all. Also, how anyone can call pork knuckle bland is beyond me. That said I dont like anything with pickled cabbage.

OP, randomly picking stuff up in a polish or any kind of shop is the wrong way to do it. Look up some recipes online, then put together a shopping list, and go and find the actual ingredients. If I went into to tesco and randomly picked things up for dinner I wouldnt be praising Irish cuisine either.

Looks like that place closed down some time ago - now you find there an Irish-Italian restaurant called Elixir.

Does anyone know any other decent (to go there with a Polish colleague ;-) ) Polish restaurant in Dublin?

Am only aware of one in the MooreSt. Mall which am sceptical somehow - and one above a Polish shop in talbot street which has the charme of McDonalds....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Pug160

Bit of an old thread but I just want to say it's not all bad. Kabanos (thin sausages) are pretty damn good. Haven't tried much else though. Might give pierogi a try as that sounds nice as well.

I think Polish cuisine is influenced a lot by its surrounding countries, so they don't have a lot of stuff that's purely their own. All in all it sounds a bit bland though.

Not a big vodka drinker but a couple of Polish vodkas are top notch.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

Zombie thread

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement