Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Awful Polish Food

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Overheal wrote: »
    even in the same country im back 2 years now and still have trouble wrapping my head around this ****:

:eek::eek::confused::confused::(:(:eek::eek::eek:

Yeah that's been about a while, though I know given the opportunity I would definitely feel disgusted with myself after I'd ordered it. This though, I don't think I could bring myself to trying it: http://consumerist.com/2010/06/friendlys-grilled-cheese-burger-melt-is-coming-for-your-arteries.html

Obviously the mountain sandwiches are worse, but they're just for publicity. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭nachoman

I'm curious now, any good polish restaurants in Dublin city centre to eat?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,685 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

amacachi wrote: »
    Yeah that's been about a while, though I know given the opportunity I would definitely feel disgusted with myself after I'd ordered it. This though, I don't think I could bring myself to trying it: http://consumerist.com/2010/06/friendlys-grilled-cheese-burger-melt-is-coming-for-your-arteries.html

Obviously the mountain sandwiches are worse, but they're just for publicity. :pac:
    yeah i wont even order another grilled cheese thickburger from hardees. I didnt even fathom there was such a thing as too much cheese: but the american cheese, the swiss cheese sauce, the butter, they all combine to make you feel completely gross.

http://www.grubgrade.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/Grilled-Cheese-Bacon-Thickburgers.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

yeah i wont even order another grilled cheese thickburger from hardees. I didnt even fathom there was such a thing as too much cheese: but the american cheese, the swiss cheese sauce, the butter, they all combine to make you feel completely gross.

http://www.grubgrade.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/Grilled-Cheese-Bacon-Thickburgers.jpg

The bread's the only thing that would put me off tbh. :pac: It's annoying watching online NASCAR streams put up by some guy in Nevada from his house and seeing the meals for 3.99 over there. I'm a fat **** now but I'd be dead in 5 years if I moved over there.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

They have some nasty cheese in American places though. That squeezy cheese in Dennys is horrible. I really want one of those chicken sandwiches though.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Their dark chocolate is awesome, all I have had of their cuisine! Worst...no idea, best is Indian mmm

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

even in the same country im back 2 years now and still have trouble wrapping my head around this ****:

:eek::eek::confused::confused::(:(:eek::eek::eek:

ate one when in oregon and wa in march, felt sick afterwards.

Next day had taco bell for the first time. Wasn't actually that bad.
    Those taco, hard shell with a soft shell wrapped around it and refried beans inbetween, fooking daycent.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,774 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

went to poland. food was rotten .no kecup on big mac rotten chese on it as well. had soup was very bland:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:never again eat polish food but the people were all right

Is big mac the national polish dish...........i'm sure i've had it here, in the UK, america, france, spain etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

As bizarre as it may seem folk from Eastern Europe find vinegar on chips absolutely awful and have no idea why we like it so much. It's also the same in regards to chips in sandwiches- they just don't understand why!

I never put vinegar on chips and I never put chips in sandwiches, though a lot of Irish people do o.0 I also don't make sandwiches with butter in them...disgusting :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

nachoman wrote: »
    I'm curious now, any good polish restaurants in Dublin city centre to eat?

Gospoda Polska Polish restaurant
    15 Capel Street,
    Dublin 1
    T: 01 8749394

Pierogi is gorgeous, not bland at all. Also, how anyone can call pork knuckle bland is beyond me. That said I dont like anything with pickled cabbage.

OP, randomly picking stuff up in a polish or any kind of shop is the wrong way to do it. Look up some recipes online, then put together a shopping list, and go and find the actual ingredients. If I went into to tesco and randomly picked things up for dinner I wouldnt be praising Irish cuisine either.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,120 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

There's an older (babcia style:)) lady in the Moore St. mall who makes fresh pierogi. Divine.
    How anyone can call Zurek bland is beyond me.

I think Gospoda Polska is under different management now and has changed its name.
    Yummy Party Cake is still across the other side of Capel Street though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

The country with the worst food was Ireland 40 years ago. pigs cheek, pigs ear, trotter and overboiled cabbage.

Indian, lebanese are the best. and god bless the chineese for inventing tofu

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 164 ✭✭yogy

Having spent time in both countries, traditional Polish food is of a different class than Irish food...(apart from the quality of our seafood)

OP you obviously have no idea what you bought or how to cook it. It's just ignorance on your part..

FYI lasagne, spag bol, sweet & sour chicken, burgers aren't traditional irish fare...

How tasty are crubeens, ox tongue and coddle to the general public??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

I've eaten loads of home-cooked Polish meals and can say I much prefer them to most Irish food (except Irish breakfast, let's not go nuts)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

I spend a bit of time in Poland with my polish girlfriend. I find it pretty hard to adapt to other foods - must have a strange stomach or something.

I don't like a lot of the food - but they have some great dishes - most have been mentioned already.

In fairness, picking up a load of processed food in a shop in Ireland isn't really experiencing it properly!

RE swans - a couple of polish lads killed a swan here a while back - ongoing joke since.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Think I'd just live on their yummy vodka for a week if I ever visited Poland...

I regularly buy "random" bits and pieces from a local Chinese/Japanese supermarket, but that doesn't mean I think their 50p packs of Ramen are in any way indicative of authentic home cooked Japanese cuisine...

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭nachoman

spurious wrote: »
    There's an older (babcia style:)) lady in the Moore St. mall who makes fresh pierogi. Divine.
    How anyone can call Zurek bland is beyond me.

I think Gospoda Polska is under different management now and has changed its name.
    Yummy Party Cake is still across the other side of Capel Street though.

and how would you go about cooking this pierogi, if one was inclined?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

nachoman wrote: »
    and how would you go about cooking this pierogi, if one was inclined?

I strongly recommend buy pierogi and cooking it at home, rather than trying to make your own.

I tried to make my own once to impress my polish girlfriend, I ended up being covered in flour trying to fold the potato and cottage cheese mixture into far too small circles of pastry. It was a disaster.

If you buy them from here, the way I would do them is fry them in a frying pan. And to spice it up a bit, Dice an onion and 2 rashers, and fry them seperatly, and sprinkle them over the pierogi when serving. Divine!

Mmm, might have pierogi for dinner tonight Have some in the freezer. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 521 ✭✭✭alexa5x5

In fairness I think you can say the same about most countries, especially when you only taste a small selection of there food:

America – Twinkies, everything seem’s to contain excessive sugar, extremely fatty food.
    England – Gelled eels, steak and kidney pie, pork scratching's
    France – Snails, Foie gras
    Peru – deep fried guinea pig
    Scotland – haggis, deep fried Mars bar (basically if it can be deep fried they’ll eat it)
    And Ireland – black pudding (sausage made of BLOOD WTF!!), stew (or that horrible white stew made with flour)

…… point is you can say the same about any country, different country=different tastes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭mathie

went to poland. food was rotten .no kecup on big mac rotten chese on it as well. had soup was very bland:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:never again eat polish food but the people were all right

To eat like?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭caseyann

Do you like all Irish food?

I gave a few recipes to polish girls and hungarian girls,for Irish food,and they loved it.They had tried to cook it without any advice previously and didnt enjoy.When cooking food from other nationalities,you should really ask someone from the country.How to cook it properly.Otherwise you will never enjoy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

What the hell is wrong with stew? Bacon and cabbage is manky though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Skuxx

I was in Poland last summer and I have to say their version of a whipped ice cream cone is amazing!! One of the nicest things I've ever eaten! Think it was called "lody" or something like that! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

WTF is a random mood?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭daveyboy_1ie

Condi wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Had to laugh at the irony here.............................:rolleyes:

Been to well over 30 countries and tried plenty of different cuisines (including Wroslaw in Poland), and would have said some nice things about them all until I went to Korea two years back. Bloody awful stuff. I have never left a table hungrier than when I started the meal. To top it off I HAD to try the Rice Whiskey or else they would be deeply offended, on what was essentially an empty stomach. The Syrian gentleman at the table offended them before me as he was muslim and did not drink at all, something they could not understand.

Then when they came to me with two glasses (mine and Syrian guys) they made a big deal about me being Irish and how it was against my religion NOT to drink (I must say I took it well even though I was offended. Could barely finish my second glass so i couldn't :D)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭yuloni

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭sealgaire

I used to work for Musgraves and the odd time jars of polish food would get broken. GOd the smell off it! You wouldn't give it to a dog. Well, then again, they are only Polish

MOD: User banned for this post

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

Dermighty wrote: »
    I never put vinegar on chips and I never put chips in sandwiches, though a lot of Irish people do o.0

Dont knock it until you've tried it, salty/vinegery chip sambo's with lots of butter are delishhh

The worst quisine I've tasted is Morrocan, really awefull.....

Favorite is either italian/indian/chineese/japaneeseyyy or french

• Registered Users Posts: 14,965 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

sealgaire wrote: »
    I used to work for Musgraves and the odd time jars of polish food would get broken. GOd the smell off it! You wouldn't give it to a dog. Well, then again, they are only Polish

That's a disgusting thing to say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

Worst food in Europe? Probably in Iceland

Anybody for rotten shark with a "very particular ammonia-rich smell... similar to cleaning products"
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H%C3%A1karl

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement