Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Awful Polish Food

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

sealgaire wrote: »
    You wouldn't give it to a dog. Well, then again, they are only Polish
    Goodbye for now

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

you know, the food in Ireland is really good quality, generally.
    great Bacon, Beef and fresh fish, fresh bread with no sugar, great milk, cheese, yoghurts, butter, excellent potatoes, fresh root and leaf veg. And that is just the domestically produced stuff. Many countries worldwide don't have such high quality food.

It's very hit and miss with foreign food. Some of the nicest stuff I had was Nigerian, rice and prawns and spices, yum.
    That said, when you go into a foreign shop and get stuff in glass jars with non-English written on it, don't expect to be pleasantly surprised.

Maybe you just don't like fish? The Polish love their tinned fish and so do I so that works out.

Btw, a free plug for KRCMA in Salthill, great great food.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭storm2811

biko wrote: »
    It's very hit and miss with foreign food. Some of the nicest stuff I had was Nigerian, rice and prawns and spices, yum.

Ohh, their spicy prawn rice stuff is the best!
    Always getting a friend of mine to make it for me 'cos I always cock it up.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

el judìo wrote: »
    great Bacon, Beef and fresh fish, fresh bread with no sugar, great milk, cheese, yoghurts, butter, excellent potatoes, fresh root and leaf veg. And that is just the domestically produced stuff. Many countries worldwide don't have such high quality food.

Huh? I'd like some of the stuff you're smoking. The average stuff in the supermarket is awful. Veg in most supermarkets is defo not fresh, has been shipped from gary knows where (strawberries from the US, in June? Potatoes from France? WTF?), the bread is absolutely awful here (all that rubbery white bread, seriously), the choice of dairy products and cheese is severely limited compared to say, France, or Germany, and for a country that is surrounded by water, the choice of seafood is also quite poor.

And then there's the awful choice of sweets, nothing nice or remotely original (yes, I am talking about salty licquorice. It's nice. End of.) Even the bakeries have pretty awful standards (ever been to a German bakery, or a French one? Most of the time, the stuff you get here is so full of plastic and e-numbers, it makes you cry (or break out in spots).

But I get 7 different versions of baked beans, yeeeha.

Even in terms of nice meat products, I find Ireland lagging behind the continent (for example, I find it very tricky to get veal here).

While I agree that a lot of countries wouldnt get what Ireland has in terms of supply or abundance, 'great' I would not call it.

That's my whinge for the day over with. And yes, I am cranky.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Skuxx

sealgaire wrote: »
    Well, then again, they are only Polish

This might be afterhours but thats a bit too far!!

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Jelly2

galah wrote: »
    Huh? I'd like some of the stuff you're smoking. The average stuff in the supermarket is awful. Veg in most supermarkets is defo not fresh, has been shipped from gary knows where (strawberries from the US, in June? Potatoes from France? WTF?), the bread is absolutely awful here (all that rubbery white bread, seriously), the choice of dairy products and cheese is severely limited compared to say, France, or Germany, and for a country that is surrounded by water, the choice of seafood is also quite poor.

And then there's the awful choice of sweets, nothing nice or remotely original (yes, I am talking about salty licquorice. It's nice. End of.) Even the bakeries have pretty awful standards (ever been to a German bakery, or a French one? Most of the time, the stuff you get here is so full of plastic and e-numbers, it makes you cry (or break out in spots).

But I get 7 different versions of baked beans, yeeeha.

Even in terms of nice meat products, I find Ireland lagging behind the continent (for example, I find it very tricky to get veal here).

While I agree that a lot of countries wouldnt get what Ireland has in terms of supply or abundance, 'great' I would not call it.

That's my whinge for the day over with. And yes, I am cranky.

It's only right that you find it difficult to get veal here. It's unethical to eat it at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

let's agree to disagree on that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Jelly2

OK.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭cloneslad

Had to laugh at the irony here.............................:rolleyes:

Been to well over 30 countries and tried plenty of different cuisines (including Wroslaw in Poland), and would have said some nice things about them all until I went to Korea two years back. Bloody awful stuff. I have never left a table hungrier than when I started the meal. To top it off I HAD to try the Rice Whiskey or else they would be deeply offended, on what was essentially an empty stomach. The Syrian gentleman at the table offended them before me as he was muslim and did not drink at all, something they could not understand.

Then when they came to me with two glasses (mine and Syrian guys) they made a big deal about me being Irish and how it was against my religion NOT to drink (I must say I took it well even though I was offended. Could barely finish my second glass so i couldn't :D)

WOW...no wait WOW, you didn't like korean food?? It is the bet food in the world, in my not so very humble opinion. I missed it so damn much when i went back to Ireland. One of the best things about living out here in Korea again is all the delicious food.

Galbi (갈비) marinaded pork (beef is you spend more) cooked over a flaming pit in the middle of your table.....awesome. you wrap it with leaves and put some spicy salad, onions, peppers, radish etc etc in with it. The dish comes with about 15 side dishes all refilled and all for pretty much nothing at all. I ate it last night with four friends, we were stuffed afterwards and it cost is about €4 each.

Sam gyup sal (삼겹살) like the poor brother to galbi but just as delicious, also served with the vast amount of free/refillable sides.

Bi bim bap (비빔밥) a nice lunch to eat. rice in a bowl with an assortment of fresh vegetables, some hot pepper paste and an egg. You can add tuna if thats your thing.

Haejangguk (해장국) there is nothing to not like about this, it literally translates as "soup to chase a hangover"...i mean come on, it's worth it on that name alone (and I don't even drink). This is a hot, spicy, prok spine soup and it's delicious at any time of the day, through in some kimchi'd radish and some rice and you're all set to go.

Kimchi (김치) Sounds terrible, looks terrible and the first time you eat it you will probably think it's terrible. But this food is awesome. It's pickled cabbage (generally though it is used on other foods) The cabbage is fermented in a hot spicy pepper paste and is also rubbed with the shells of shrimp on occasions and it's also quite garlicy...not to mention that stuff will keep you more than regular!!

I could literally name hundreds of dishes now, but as this is after hours someone will just reply with "yeah but they eat dog" even though it is illegal to do so over here (although it's still done in places and frowned upon by those who do).

You may have just gone to a traditional korean style buffet type dinner where you get samples of various very olden style korean food (cold buckwheat noodles, cold and raw fish etc etc) this tuff is expensive but certainly not the norm.

You were probably made drink soju or mokoli, either way, both aren't very appealing from what I have heard and smelt!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,266 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Swan sandwiches mmmmmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

Spain is one country I wouldn't be visiting for it's food, the only redeeming point was their chocolate! Everything was very wattery and weak flavoured; I had veal in one restaurant and needed a saw to cut it up.

Ireland cuisine ftw - where else would you get mushy pea pies?!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 852 ✭✭✭moonpurple

i bought some polish sausage in centra recently

binned...could not eat it

no wonder they are over here

food migrants

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

moonpurple wrote: »

food migrants

I hope your not talking about Kabanosy, that's delicious. Did you read the instructions? Maybe you were meant to cook it?

Hunter's sausages are also delish!

There is another type of sausage made of venison. Its very small and dense and quite difficult to eat if you dont know about it. Its used by hunters and soldiers and anyone who carries their food with them. You eat a small cube of this dense venison meat, and then drink a glass of water. It expands on contact with the water and fills your stomach up. Its not very tasty, but by good its great if your out for the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭DubMedic

Spain is one country I wouldn't be visiting for it's food, the only redeeming point was their chocolate! Everything was very wattery and weak flavoured; I had veal in one restaurant and needed a saw to cut it up.

Ireland cuisine ftw - where else would you get mushy pea pies?!

Top class service if they supplied you with a saw.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,965 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

moonpurple wrote: »

food migrants

I love going to someone's home when I go to Poland. They always serve lots of home cooked food. Granted everything isn't to my taste but the vast majority of home cooked food (not from a jar!) is delicous.

Fried chicken, sausages, their equivalent of pudding. Bigos and Gołąbki when prepared by a good cook are delicous.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,120 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Bigos is lovely.
    Even kotlet schabowy which is probably the standard 'cheap eat' out is yum with the potatoes and dill and salad it comes with everywhere.

I'm not sure if they are exclusively Polish, but the small blocks of flavoured curd cheese from the fridge are very yummy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Brendog

its horrible because all their food is in steroid form...

for the guys anyway

I wanna know what polish chicks eat because it must be HHHHOOOOOOTTTT!!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,105 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I don't think I've ever eaten Polish food beyond a couple of sausages. Still, it couldn't be worse than Dutch food.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭saywhatyousee

alexa5x5 wrote: »
    In fairness I think you can say the same about most countries, especially when you only taste a small selection of there food:

America – Twinkies, everything seem’s to contain excessive sugar, extremely fatty food.
    England – Gelled eels, steak and kidney pie, pork scratching's
    France – Snails, Foie gras
    Peru – deep fried guinea pig
    Scotland – haggis, deep fried Mars bar (basically if it can be deep fried they’ll eat it)
    And Ireland – black pudding (sausage made of BLOOD WTF!!), stew (or that horrible white stew made with flour)

…… point is you can say the same about any country, different country=different tastes.
    [/QUOTE
    black pudding is delicous

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭baalthor

I've had home made Polish food and it was very tasty. A Polish guy told me he didn't trust the food in the Polish shops here ... maybe not what you wanted to hear OP if you've just eaten some of it ...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Gyalist

As a foreigner I don't have a dog in this fight but the Irish should be the last to look down on the national cuisine of other countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭bullpost

As a foreigner you probably don't realise that looking down on things, anything, is the national passtime here :D
    Gyalist wrote: »
    As a foreigner I don't have a dog in this fight but the Irish should be the last to look down on the national cuisine of other countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭baztard

A Polish ex-girlfriend of mine once cooked myself and some friends of ours Pirogi(?). Its pastry balls filled with fried cottage cheese. We had to stuff it down the back of the radiator when she wasn't looking. Ugh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

Gyalist wrote: »

Our cuisine might not be to your liking but our ingredients are sought after all over the world.....

Our cuisine might not be to your liking but our ingredients are sought after all over the world.....

Yeah by all the Irish who have emmigrated.

baztard wrote: »
    A Polish ex-girlfriend of mine once cooked myself and some friends of ours Pirogi(?). Its pastry balls filled with fried cottage cheese. We had to stuff it down the back of the radiator when she wasn't looking. Ugh

Now we know why she is your ex.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭southsiderosie

el judìo wrote: »

The raw ingredients in Ireland are good, especially for dairy and meat products, but the way they are put together is generally ****. And the price for decent fresh produce is astronomical. In general, eating out in Ireland is a travesty - the food is generally under-seasoned and almost always overpriced. And one can only eat so much brown bread and vegetable soup or fish and chips...Every time I move back to Ireland I gain weight because most of the good food is really fatty or carb-heavy.

I've had really good Polish food in Chicago, but it is kind of bland as well, and very heavy. Spanish food can be quite good, but it depends on the region - Basque and Catalan/Valencian food in particular is very good. And of course, the wine and jamon are incredible...and the produce is very cheap.

To me, the best cuisines are Mexican (real Mexican, not Tex-Mex burrito crap), Indian (especially south Indian) and Thai - all have lots of complex seasoning and layers of flavors. But I've noticed that a lot of people in Ireland don't really like spicy food, and even the 'ethnic' restaurants reflect that.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement