Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Love/Hate [** Spoilers **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭larchielads

cannot get over nidges characters real voice thats mental!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭The Guvnor

First off I've not read the thread.
    Second probably watched 40 mins total of Love/Hate.

Now obviously those 40 minutes over multiple episodes and series were enough for me to form strong opinions on the show, deeply held etc.:D

I just find it funny - I know it's not a comedy but that's how I see it.

Nidge looks like he is taking the michael all the time.

The lad with the eyebrows - he is obviously the dark, brooding, thoughtful member always looking for the exit never quite getting there. Whatever about him - his eyebrows are distracting.

Lots of tough talking on mobiles whilst sitting in a Jap Import or pacing around the penthouse - cue a few mobiles getting thrown.

If the Sopranos was an insight into the lives of the Jersey Mob and Love/Hate is meant to be a similar insight into the lives of Dublin Gang Members.

Well do I need to say anymore?:D

For me it is watchable but only for a laugh to see the totally non-believeable characters with pseudo dublin accents never actually get down to doing some graft of a dubious nature.

I caught Man About Dog last night and anyone of that cast would be more menacing than the total cast of Love/Hate.

I did say strong views deeply held after 40 mins of total viewing!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

give it a little more than 40 mins ....

I was talking to a detective last night and he thought the most inaccurate part of the show was how clean their houses were!!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

give it a little more than 40 mins ....

I was talking to a detective last night and he thought the most inaccurate part of the show was how clean their houses were!!

I suppose you have to be careful not to drag the evidence back to your home!

As for it being the best drama RTÉ have ever commissioned, I some how doubt that TBH.

Though I didn't think it was a comedy/funny.

go on name another one so :rolleyes:

Temaz wrote: »
    A number of international broadcasters are considering combining both seasons as a 10-part series.

http://www.rte.ie/ten/2011/1213/lovehate.html

Most international broadcasters look for a 10 to 20 part series. Very few broadcasters will buy in a series with less then 10 episodes.

• Advertisement

Pity he didn't reckon the bent cop was inaccurate :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

RoverJames wrote: »
    Pity he didn't reckon the bent cop was inaccurate :pac:
    what the cop with the square jaw and big thick munster head on him?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

People shouldn't be fooled into thinking the Sopranos was somehow an accurate portrayal of organised crime in New Jersey either.

It's a great show but the money involved and the big houses far outweigh the reality of the mob in the 1990's apparently. Hence why it was so popular amongst mob members - something to aspire to.

I thought that of john boy moreso, that was one complaint i had about last night, all the heat they were attracting after jb's funeral, and the head man (nidge) is still doing manual work (shooting luke). they would have surely been followed...I doubt gilligan made many trips to wicklow with guns and shovels when the heat was on him./

But dont forget Nidge had a motive to possibly bump Darren off if needs neccessary so thats why he was willing to go up the mountain and do the task himself.

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    People shouldn't be fooled into thinking the Sopranos was somehow an accurate portrayal of organised crime in New Jersey either.

It's a great show but the money involved and the big houses far outweigh the reality of the mob in the 1990's apparently. Hence why it was so popular amongst mob members - something to aspire to.

Very true. As Irish we are inclined to disect our own things a little bit more and be overly skeptic whilst we take foreign productions of a similar nature like the sopranos as gospel

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭xflyer

Exactly Tipp, as a Dub you can even recognise all the locations and spot when the accents go wrong. I was auditioned for a small part in first series but even though I was born and bred in Dublin. My Dublin accent wasn't up to it. But it's as good a series as any I've seen on RTE. A couple of miscasts, Darren being one but Nidge, Tom Vaughan Lawlor is as good an actor as you'll see anywhere. He stole the show.

Also I never saw the John boy shooting coming. Which is a mark of a good drama.

People mention the Luke character but I see it as a slightly clumsy attempt to expose us to the reality of many of the ordinary gang members. Guys who never had a chance and are expendable. Same thing with the driver in the previous episode who was summarily executed almost as an aside. That was true to life, it happens almost every week in Dublin. Most of the murdered in real life are nothing more than ordinary soldiers, easily replaced and quickly forgotten.

The Darren character is basically us, being drawn deeper into mess. Even his sister has bought into it. Effectively ordering the killing of Luke. Next series Nidge and Darren will end up pointing guns at each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Plankton1

Imhof Tank wrote: »
    But if its such an awesome production as 99% of posters on here agree, do you really think they are so slipshod as to mess up on something as bog obvious as the tache.

There has to be a hidden meaning. The alternative continuity error just theory doesnt stand up.

Yes honestly it has to be something as simple as this. Or else they changed the sequencing of those scenes. I reckon they went over budget/were approaching their deadline and it was too late to change or reshoot it, and this was something that they hoped people wouldn't notice, or didn't notice themselves. Big Hollywood movies regularly have continuity issues and when there's so much going on, things get missed.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,581 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

We're either over analysing the tache episodes(most definitely yes )- or not.
    Take the final episode,Darren looks in the mirror,maybe he sees someone else/something else looking back at him, a side of himself he doesn't want to be/see.
    (You know the way it's said a person with anorexia sees a bigger version of themselves when they look in mirror?)

It would be hard to portray the thought processes of an emotionally conflicted person on film,surely?Short of showing them killing a swan or something:rolleyes:
    Anyway,I'll ask Robert S when I see him over the holidays- any other questions,folks,just let me know.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,650 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

msthe80s wrote: »
    We're either over analysing the tache episodes(most definitely yes )- or not.
    Take the final episode,Darren looks in the mirror,maybe he sees someone else/something else looking back at him, a side of himself he doesn't want to be/see.
    (You know the way it's said a person with anorexia sees a bigger version of themselves when they look in mirror?)

It would be hard to portray the thought processes of an emotionally conflicted person on film,surely?Short of showing them killing a swan or something:rolleyes:
    Anyway,I'll ask Robert S when I see him over the holidays- any other questions,folks,just let me know.

Who's Robert S?

amdublin wrote: »
    Who's Robert S?

Robert Sheehan- aka Darren aka 4 second lover.......

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,650 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

msthe80s wrote: »
    Robert Sheehan- aka Darren aka 4 second lover.......

He's your boyfriend? :p

amdublin wrote: »
    He's your boyfriend? :p

LOL:D
    I like my toyboys,but that's pushing it:o
    No,family are friends of a friend.
    I've decided I'm having a New Year's Party.....and guess who just got invited?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

Thats hilarious, hope you have a great party,,,, and if after a few drinks he deceides to give you the answer to Tache-gate, please share with us!!!!!
    (Best not to call him 4second lover though:D, Editing can be a cruel process to some)

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Dilla!

A lad in HMV told me that I wouldn't find series one anywhere. Anyone know why that is? Would have thought it would be easy to get! I would guess he means they're sold out but surely not everywhere..?

Any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭colly_06

I saw a copy in my local xtravision.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,482 ✭✭✭JG009

DeepBlue wrote: »
    What exactly was Rosie's problem? She got romantically involved with, not one, but two gangsters and she was fully aware that they were gangsters and what was involved in that lifestyle.
    And then she got upset 'cos Darren was........eh.........a gangster? :confused:

With a bit of luck she won't be around for series 3.

Bitches be crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,482 ✭✭✭JG009

Imhof Tank wrote: »
    Cant see Nidge surviving long - he will take one chance too many and be taken out.

Darren will come to the fore Id say. He is basically the young Michael Corleone from The Godfather Part 1, in the begining he swears to Rosie that he'll be out of the lifestyle soon, just as Michael assured Kay - he looses her and begins a downward spiral, eventually becoming the hardest of them all, harder than Nidge even.

He will in his bumfluff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Temaz

Dilla! wrote: »
    A lad in HMV told me that I wouldn't find series one anywhere. Anyone know why that is? Would have thought it would be easy to get! I would guess he means they're sold out but surely not everywhere..?

Any ideas?

I got a copy in Golden Discs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

The series should have ended with Johnboy being shot... The last episode was a bit pointless without him.. He was the central character...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭julyjane

The series should have ended with Johnboy being shot... The last episode was a bit pointless without him.. He was the central character...

I disagree. I think the reason JB was shot in the second last episode was so that the last episode paves the way for Nidge to become top dog in series 3. IIRC the first time we saw Nidge in the 1st episode he was watching shooting online and he seemed a bit obsessed, he seems to act the nice guy a lot of the time but as we saw in the last episode there's a dark side to him, he could well end up being worse than JB - and himself and Fran could end up being pals. Fran was another nutcase - remember how he tried to feed Luke to the dogs :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭kildaremum

I think Tommy is an undercover cop. I didn't see the first series so dont know if he actually did anything in it, but he didn't in the second series - wasn't in the room for the drugs bust, didn't kill Fran, didn't want to use the young lad as the driver ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭julyjane

kildaremum wrote: »
    I think Tommy is an undercover cop. I didn't see the first series so dont know if he actually did anything in it, but he didn't in the second series - wasn't in the room for the drugs bust, didn't kill Fran, didn't want to use the young lad as the driver ?

He didn't kill Fran because he was seen on CCTV before he could enter the place. Interesting theory though, it would explain why Siobhan was getting through the airport without hassle all the time but it wouldn't explain why he was getting it on with Debbie and giving her drugs - I guess not all cops are clean :D That would be an interesting twist to S3, an undercover joining the gang

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

kildaremum wrote: »

A very good twist idea. The only cop we're seen so far has been of the keystone variety. The idiot with the rentboy problem is realistic enough but not representative of the entire guards.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

GOOD NEWS FOR FANS

http://www.independent.ie/entertainment/tv-radio/lovehate-almost-certain-to-return-as-show-scoops-end-of-year-prize-for-best-tv-show-2968041.html

Tuesday December 20 2011
    RTE’s gritty crime drama Love/Hate is almost certain to return, as writer and creator Stuart Carolan reveals he is currently writing the third series.

The future of the drug fuelled drama was uncertain when it emerged that RTE had not committed to another series, despite the massive viewership the Dublin based drama had attracted.

However, speaking this morning on Ian Dempsey’s Breakfast show on Today Fm where Love/Hate won Best TV Show in the Listeners’ End of Year Poll, Carolan conceded it was about '95 per cent' certain that the show would be back for a third series.

“There is a fairly good chance,” he told Dempsey. “I’d be really surprised if it didn’t happen.” The creator admitted he was taken by how successful the show had been on the back of the second series. “We were surprised it did so well this year. The DVD has totally sold out.”

While Aidan Gillen’s gang-leader character, John Boy, won’t be returning for the third series, after taking a hit from his own side in the last series, Carolan says other characters like Robert Sheehan’s Darren and Nidge will play pivotal roles.

“Nidge is great character and Fran is going to have to come out of prison and Robert Sheehan will come back. The girl who plays Debbie is a great actress and she will be back too. We will try to get as many of them as back as possible and see who is available. I will have to beg them to come back to get shot!”

The married dad of three from Navan admitted he heavily immerses himself in research for the characters. “I talk to a lot of people and do a huge amount of research, but in Ireland it’s not so much six degrees but two degrees of separation,” he conceded. “ The hardest thing was not putting stuff in that I had not found out,” Carolan said.

• Advertisement

It is a pity for fans that the Series 2 BOX SET didn't include the 4 episodes from season one.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement