Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Love/Hate [** Spoilers **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Dave H

Did anyone notice that the scene right after Glen falling off the bike, the brief one of Fran lighting a smoke at his yard , was used earlier in the series. I can't remember which episode but I distinctively remember him not getting the cigarette lit in it.

Having looked at that episode again my sympathy really does go out to Aido. He just had a epiphany that the life of crime and drugs was in no way the proper life to lead for a future dad and so he decided to get out before he ends up spending 20 years in prison. And then Nadine shatters his world with the devastating revelation that she is no longer carrying his child thus probably sending him back on a path of crime worse than he ever was.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Kikin

So the dentist paid to have Wayne killed, as Wayne knew the dentist was telling the undercover real life cop, and after firing his dental assistant who we subsequently find out was the owner of the cat from episode 1.....right?

Who was the guy tracking Nidge on a motorbike? at first i thought it was the cops but now i think it could possibly be Patrick's mate, the James lad.

EDIT: Just seen it again there now. Yeah it was a cop tracking Nidge.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 645 ✭✭✭loveBBhate

Having looked at that episode again my sympathy really does go out to Aido. He just had a epiphany that the life of crime and drugs was in no way the proper life to lead for a future dad and so he decided to get out before he ends up spending 20 years in prison. And then Nadine shatters his world with the devastating revelation that she is no longer carrying his child thus probably sending him back on a path of crime worse than he ever was.

True that, just after watching the episode again there. Reaction says it all :( no more than the time his budgie died :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

I've spend the last 20 minutes reading the reaction since Sunday, pissing myself at some of the questions asked. Even when the glaringly obvious is pointed out people still can't admit they are wrong on the internet. Great point made too about people sitting on their phones during it and missing important parts, that's definitely the case.

I enjoyed the series and the episode, the finale sets it up nicely for next year. Sure there's plenty of loose ends and one or two pot holes but I'm fine with that, Love Hate as a whole is fantastic and a breath of fresh air in terms of Irish television shows.

The fact that I keep hitting refresh for hours every week waiting for it to become *cough* "available" says it all. Can't wait for season five, just a pity it's nearly a year away.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 645 ✭✭✭loveBBhate

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Great point made too about people sitting on their phones during it and missing important parts, that's definitely the case.

Why thank you Sir :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

I have a feeling they are going to do the next series as the last series and then it will continue on as a series of movies.

Your posts are a mess.

There is like a zero percent chance of a series of movies or a movie at all more than likely.

Nidge ordered the hit on Wayne, end of story, Elmo's reaction says it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

mdwexford wrote: »
    Your posts are a mess.

There is like a zero percent chance of a series of movies or a movie at all more than likely.

Nidge ordered the hit on Wayne, end of story, Elmo's reaction says it all.

A series of movies!!?

Nidgebo Vol. 5! Can't wait!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭sabhail

Hope not re movies, series is better for being able to take time, resist need to tie every loose end etc...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

How in the name of Jaysus do people not see that Nidge clearly ordered the hit on Wayne? :confused:

If he didn't then why was he looking for a gun that wasn't there under the bin when Glenn clipped him?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    Couple of comments from the parts of the show I watched....

The eye for detail is far above anything that usually appears on RTE ... this is demonstrated well in the names. The names of the characters are great.......Nigel Delaney. In Ireland you are called Nigel either if you are upper class Church of Ireland or a west Dublin scanger. Fran, Glen, Trish, Wayne...great names that people don't really call their kids anymore but were popular 20 or 30 years ago (for babies). Also, we don't learn their surnames by and large, since we don't need to know.

The acting - obviously nidge and fran are a class apart. For me, the best scenes were Nidge trying to talk Fran out of killing Tommy, absolutely stunning acting by Tom Vaughan Lawlor....and Fran spoofing the dentist about the gold tooth, you could feel the dentists terror because Fran was one scary mofo in that scene. But some of the minor parts - for me the actors playing Lizzie and Wayne were top class, really really good. Why those two got written out I don't know....

The script - lots of brilliant individual scenes, but I don't really know what the overall series was about. It felt to me like they set out with the intention of this being the last series, but mid way decided for whatever reason to drag it out into a fifth.

Have to agree on all points. The acting throughout has been excellent, but I feel the writing has let this series down - maybe it is just serving to setup the fifth series, I don't know..

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

kfallon wrote: »
    How in the name of Jaysus do people not see that Nidge clearly ordered the hit on Wayne? :confused:

because people are too busy trying to be wannabee critics to see what is actually happening, they know better than an award winning writer after all......

the amount of whinging and moaning here is getting to pathetic levels at this stage.

I actually love the final scene, not paricularly the bit in the cell but when the music kicks in (great choice of song) and the face on Nidge as he looks into the camera as the coppers are trying to drag him inside and then the look of pure evil in the close up of his face as he is being led to his cell!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

I can't believe that people don't see that Nidge ordered the hit on Wayne and it was a set up.

To be honest, I didn't get it first time around but the minute I saw it posted here the penny dropped and I kicked myself for missing it. Elmo's reaction makes it completely obvious.

Why people are arguing that it could be anything else is beyond me. Nothing else makes sense unless you're so far entrenched that you just won't admit you're wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

loveBBhate wrote: »
    Why thank you Sir :)
    ah i thought it was me he was thanking!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,885 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

Kikin wrote: »
    So the dentist paid to have Wayne killed, as Wayne knew the dentist was telling the undercover real life cop, and after firing his dental assistant who we subsequently find out was the owner of the cat from episode 1.....right?

not at all....clearly the hit on Wayne was ordered by the DSPCA

Wonder if they'll release a soundtrack to season 4, some great tunes in it!

I bought the box set of the first 3 seasons a month ago (I lost the first 2 seasons I had somewhere :rolleyes:) and I noticed in it that some of the music had changed from the original episodes. The tune when Nidge gets married had changed and also the 2 Luke Kelly songs used (Come My Little Son & Nightvisiting Song) were not the original versions sung by Luke, they were sung by somebody else. Anyone know why they would have changed if it was ok to use them when the series was first aired?

Waynes granny is going to be looking for revenge in S5. Tooled up like Charles Bronson.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

I bought the box set of the first 3 seasons a month ago (I lost the first 2 seasons I had somewhere :rolleyes:) and I noticed in it that some of the music had changed from the original episodes. The tune when Nidge gets married had changed and also the 2 Luke Kelly songs used (Come My Little Son & Nightvisiting Song) were not the original versions sung by Luke, they were sung by somebody else. Anyone know why they would have changed if it was ok to use them when the series was first aired?

Licencing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,903 ✭✭✭paulbok

Yep, the licencing issue will mean more bland generic music in the dvd release. It will take away a little from the show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

With Ado here, we see shades of Darren and his attempts to get out before ultimately getting deeper into it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Xavi6 wrote: »
    I've spend the last 20 minutes reading the reaction since Sunday, pissing myself at some of the questions asked. Even when the glaringly obvious is pointed out people still can't admit they are wrong on the internet. Great point made too about people sitting on their phones during it and missing important parts, that's definitely the case.

That's definitely the case. I can't understand how there's so many pages on this thread created during the program. And when I read it afterwards, as you say, there's questions like what happened there, I missed that, or who's that person etc.

Put your bloody phones or laptops down and watch the program first and stop competing to be the first person to post a smart or amusing comment about something that just happened.

But then again it could be just the dumbing down of our young people we're witnessing :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭power pants

I think elmo was having an affair with wayne behind glenn's back and glenn found out and got jealous

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭Sunglasses Ron

DazMarz wrote: »

Siobhan could be another one to get it, perhaps a la The Sopranos's
    Adriana La Cerva
    , but again, is that too much of a nod?

It would be a bit too much of a rip off alright. There have been a few copycat (or tribute :pac: ) scenes/ references already. The death and covering up re Git was very Billy Batts from Goodfellas based for one. Or the way Tommy was beaten by "Nigerians" is a throw back to Goodfellas and one or two Sopranos where any internal violent incident that couldn't avoid involving the police had been perpetrated by random blacks if anyone asked.

I can't even see what info she could have for the cops. Tommy is now a bit part gang member who only gets called on to occasional jobs (I think Nidge got him to do the pick up in the knowledge that if he was caught he is so brain damaged and vulnerable they could have got him off with a very short sentence). She would have known **** all about the specifics of the gang before the assault never mind after.

Good ending, although why Wayne ended up dead is a bit of a mystery, all he had on Nidge was the one failed hit on the gypsy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,117 ✭✭✭RoryMac

Good ending, although why Wayne ended up dead is a bit of a mystery, all he had on Nidge was the one failed hit on the gypsy.

And broke into his house to try to kill him!

I think Nidge saw that Wayne could be useful for the traveller hit but once that was done it was payback time.

Good point! What if it's Fran who decides that Siobhan is a liability and takes her out! Fran wanted Tommy out of the way as he linked him to the tiger kidnap, now siobhan is going to take down Nidge, which will also bring down Fran. If Fran goes ahead and takes out siobhan things will get interesting.

It would be a bit too much of a rip off alright. There have been a few copycat (or tribute :pac: ) scenes already. The death and covering up re Git was very Billy Batts from Goodfellas based for one.

I can't even see what info she could have for the cops. Tommy is now a bit part gang member who only gets called on to occasional jobs (I think Nidge got him to do the pick up in the knowledge that if he was caught he is so brain damaged and vulnerable they could have got him off with a very short sentence). She would have known **** all about the specifics of the gang before the assault never mind after.

Nidge, like John Boy before him, is consumed by paranoia and the hit on Wayne on top of the attempted hit of Patrick was showing us to the extent that he is.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Does Wayne not have to get another kid to kill Glen now to tie up that loose end? I still don't get the logic behind killing him; he's just creating more of a mess for himself. Patrick wasn't going to report the attack but the guards will have to investigate a murder...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

Finally got around to watching it, and as a Series finale it wasn't great. The last three finales were much more entertaining and gripping. I definitely got a sense that the writers wanted to carry on with the success of the show and the characters, and didn't want to do anything dramatic that would disrupt that formula (No one got caught or imprissoned, no main character died, etc). It is basically the same as last years finale - Tommy in hospital, Nidge once again evading the cops, paranoia all round from each character. A few minor developments and plot points to carry over to next season, but overall it felt the season ultimately lead up to absolutely nothing in the end except a 30 second staring contest between Nidge and the Guard in the station.

I do think, however, that there were some great scenes shot throughout the season. Highlight for me was definitely the opening credits, and a great track to complement the opening scene. In each epsiode, it was brilliantly done. Something minor but definitely set the mood for each episode.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement