Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Love/Hate [** Spoilers **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭bijapos

I think its well made and a high quality production though a little of the acting is questionable, but when the first bit of dialogue at 9.30 on a Sunday evening is about some necropheliac putting "his muck" in a corpse I could just see thousands of people switching over to something else.

The language and the violence is a bit over the top for the time slot, it doesn't personally bother me but there are plenty of people I know who would switch it off because of this. Pity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

its not bad at all , never really watched too much of the 1st series

• Registered Users Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

Its much better than the first series.

Very violent i agree with @bijapos.

Lots of ads, if I was in IRL I'd watch on the Player.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭bbbbb

A bit edgier all right, looks like the folks over on Animals & Pet issues are not impressed:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=2056443363

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Cupcake_Crisis

Very good opening episode, up a good series hopefully!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

it was worth the wait, Nidge started as slightly rogueish but he s a total backstabbing nut job this series. Darren ....well you just know it wont end well for him
    while i think its fab I cant help but think that scumbags could use it for ideas
    The model turned actress was great i thought.

As I dont get out much this was long awaited by me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Pretty good show.. very watchable.. I think Gillan would have been better if he'd been cast as the middle class coke sniffer who owed a debt to one of the thugs... cos he's not really intimidating enough to be a thug...

Nice to see the guy from the Chill Insurance ad got a break anyway, after he explained the situation away for poor oul Dave..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

Lisha wrote: »
    it was worth the wait, Nidge started as slightly rogueish but he s a total backstabbing nut job this series. Darren ....well you just know it wont end well for him
    while i think its fab I cant help but think that scumbags could use it for ideas
    The model turned actress was great i thought.

As I dont get out much this was long awaited by me

im sure the gougers around dublin lap it up , afterall , new york wise guys couldnt get enough of goodfellas and the sopranos

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭lookinbusy

I reckon the story is only OK, some of the acting could be more convincing, can't say any of them come across as very threatening characters. I think who ever the guy is that plays John Boy is not suited to the part at all. Pitty they killed of your man Gleeson's character in the first series.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

The story with Darren makes no sense. Why would Darren go out of his way to save the guy who owed Fran €5K. He's definitely in the wrong line of work.

Both Gillen and Sheehan are miscast tbh which is really the main problem with the show.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I expected more from Gillen..probably one of the more experienced actors on the show and the least believable.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,656 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I was quite disappointed myself with last night's opening episode hope it gets better

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

Cant find it on Player. Anyone have any luck finding it online?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

At least they've found an excuse for Aidan Gillen's inability to act - coke addiction. He's ruined everything I've ever seen him in with those twitches and tics. Crap actor, good show. Hopefully the male model thats playing the lead will be leaving this season.

As for the dog fighting, the camera was doing most of the work. No dogs got harmed, even my cat looks vicious when I bring home a steak.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭el diablo

Stab*City wrote: »
    Cant find it on Player. Anyone have any luck finding it online?

It's definitely on RTE Player. Try again.

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

Yep it's definitely on the RTÉ Player - http://www.rte.ie/player/#!v=1120440

I find it hard to take Gillen seriously with the big dyed head of hair on him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

Didn't have a problem with last nights episode. A few people I talked to were up in arms over the dog fighting scenes, fact of reality is it happens and the people that do it are utter scummers.

One gripe, I noticed in one of the scenes at one of there houses. There where three cars in the garden. One had a reg that is pretty unbelievable 98-D-014954... Why would they have a 0 in a reg ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭The Scientician

What was the crack with your man breaking into the dog fighter guy's gaff? Did he do it for lulz or was there some point to him breaking in and was he the same lad who'd got mauled earlier? I found that bit confusing.

This episode was as good as any in the first series. I do think it's a pity they killed off Gleeson's character as he had a volatility and menace that was just right. It's a flawed show but I still like watching it, mainly 'cos it's a local production but it's also at the very least entertaining for all the problems it has. Of the current characters Nidge is the strongest, both because your man's a decent actor and the character is more believable in that situation than the others. I hope the plot with the solicitor develops into something interesting but as it stands it just reminded me of have great the General (film) was.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,482 ✭✭✭JG009

Would it be right to assume Nidge and Darren are going to whack John boy?

Whats the crack with the lawyer and the dude taking away john boys jeep. Then he talks to him at the end of the episode?

T

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

Missed this.
    Do the still have the bafflingly inappropriate music choices?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭ziedth

I finally caught up with this last night. I enjoyed it as much as season one. Sure, it's not without it's problems but it's one if the stronger RTE shows. I think they screwed the pooch killing off gleesons character so soon but I think it could be a good season.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

JG009 wrote: »
    Would it be right to assume Nidge and Darren are going to whack John boy?

Whats the crack with the lawyer and the dude taking away john boys jeep. Then he talks to him at the end of the episode?

T

That was the CAB taking away John Boy's ill gotten gains. John Boy in his coke-addled mind assumes the lawyer is telling tales to the cops. Therefore the firebombing which probably will cause the lawyer to squeal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,482 ✭✭✭JG009

That was the CAB taking away John Boy's ill gotten gains. John Boy in his coke-addled mind assumes the lawyer is telling tales to the cops. Therefore the firebombing which probably will cause the lawyer to squeal.

Yes but at the end the same dude is talking to the lawyer in hospital.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭slick89

I presume he's from the gardai and they want the lawyer to name John boy so they can start an investigation??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭antomorro-sei

Anyway of watching this online, from Barcelona?

Anyway of watching this online, from Barcelona?

http://www.rte.ie/player/#!v=1120440

el diablo wrote: »

Cheers, but it says "The contact you are trying to access is not currently available for viewing... blah blah blah... restricted to another territory"

I tried using a proxy (not sure how it works but it let me watch the All Ireland Finals) but it seems to slow down my internet an awful lot, and the video takes way to long to load.

Cheers, but it says "The contact you are trying to access is not currently available for viewing... blah blah blah... restricted to another territory"

I tried using a proxy (not sure how it works but it let me watch the All Ireland Finals) but it seems to slow down my internet an awful lot, and the video takes way to long to load.

Usually I can watch shows overseas on RTE Player but occasionally some content is restricted. I doubt Love/Hate is showing anywhere else online.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

I caught up with this on the RTE Player tonight, and I really enjoyed. I loved the little touches, like Nidge being pussywhipped to put on his nose strips by the wife, or the skinny guy taking a dump in the en-suite loo.

The only bad acting I saw was the CAB detective talking to the solicitor at the end - just seemed a bit OTT.

Nidge is the guy you don't want to find yourself arguing with over a parking space or a pub stool.

• Advertisement

el diablo wrote: »
    Usually I can watch shows overseas on RTE Player but occasionally some content is restricted. I doubt Love/Hate is showing anywhere else online.

Yeah, fook it! Hopefully the brother has it Sky+'d so I can watch them when I'm home...

Have to say, I enjoyed the 20 odd minutes that I did actually get to watch!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement