Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Love/Hate [** Spoilers **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,518 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Will probably be on RTE player at some stage........
    Actually, it is up there now I believe:
    http://www.rte.ie/player/#

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 jhcristy

I knew I missed something
    Who rode the blonde?
    Why would anyone think that John Boy had anything to do with the shooting of Darren?
    And RTE Player has the rerun

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

ziedth wrote: »
    Does anyone know if/whwn it's repeated.
    It's repeated on Thursday night if you want to watch it on the big screen.
    Love/Hate (Drama)
    Time: 23:10 to 00:10 (1 hour long).
    When: Thursday 28th October on RTÉ 1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

jhcristy wrote: »
    I knew I missed something
    Who rode the blonde?

Tommy.

Personally I think he'd be a good choice to make a run on John Boy's position as leader of the gang.

But they probably won't kill off nancy boy Darren.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

Tommy.

Personally I think he'd be a good choice to make a run on John Boy's position as leader of the gang.

But they probably won't kill off nancy boy Darren.

tommy? Naw - in a few years maybe, but not now. course I hope i'm not predicting the future...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭The Highwayman

meh
    I thought the end was weak. There was a fair bit of ripping off done on Sunday night, yer man blowing his own head off was straight out of Limerick gangland, the end when Darren is walking away and shot is the end of Carlito Way and the wedding eugh that was bad and is just a rework of this youtube video

lazy writing they did'nt even change the dance moves!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

wow, some vidoe. i'm assuming it wasnt in ireland....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭el diablo

A bit off-topic I know, but here's their divorce video too. :D

http://youtu.be/zbr2ao86ww0

Tried embedding it but it doesn't work.

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Registered Users Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭The Highwayman

el diablo wrote: »
    A bit off-topic I know, but here's their divorce video too. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭el diablo

Cheers, not sure why it was coming up blank.

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

It was an all right series, it did seem to glamorise gangland criminals. The people they where supposed to be portraying where pretty boys that didn't really come across as real criminals. They where a bit simplistic and one dimensional there was no moralising or pressure from the outside world, I never felt like they where under any real pressure from the guards, who just showed up every now and again.

ScumLord wrote: »
    I never felt like they where under any real pressure from the guards, who just showed up every now and again.

Maybe that reflects the real world more than any of us would like to believe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

For all it's faults and shortcomings, I still enjoyed it...I think that was more to do with the subject matter than the way it was delivered.

For an RTÉ effort their production values have improved, the camerawork was very well done I thought, script was a bit meh, acting/casting hit and miss (some actors carried the rest), a little too fast moving and as mentioned above it borrowed and adapted many real world ideas, cinematic scenes and news events to pad it out.
    It all finished a bit conveniently
    (very handy Hughie topping himself instead oif someone having to man up and do it; oh and I hope that whole 4 hrs wasn't moving toward the punchline from Nig(?) "The Hugh Ball has been potted.".
    :rolleyes:
    Nice twist though with
    Darren getting taken out after him thinking he's away from the hassle with John Boy
    even if it was borrowed from elsewhere.

Not sure where they're going to go with another series...I would hope if they're serious about it that they extend it a bit and fill in some of the blanks instead of throwing people from one scenario to the next and that air of disjointedness that pervaded throughout this.

I said in my first post on this thread that I felt this show was a cross between the Wire and Shameless...after the 4 eps I think that stands: The Wire only not as invloving or well acted, and Shameless only not as funny and less realistic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭celtic Liger

thought it was ok but the gang never really gel'd imo.

i have to say i thought nigel was the best character in it. some of his facial expressions in scenes were priceless. like when he seen johnboy and his brother turning up at his wedding, his face dropped.

johnboys brother is the image of brendan gleeson

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

very disappointed with it as it had been built up to ridiculous levels by the Irish Media pre-launch. Calling it objectively and removing any "it was good for RTE" type comments, it was poor - at best. The acting wasn't too bad, but the script was full of cliches and borrowed/stolen ideas and that's where it fell down. To class it as being in any way as similar to "The Wire" is scandalous!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 647 ✭✭✭Namabillion

thought it was ok but the gang never really gel'd imo.

johnboys brother is the image of brendan gleeson

That's cos he is his son Brian Gleeson.

To class it as being in any way as similar to "The Wire" is scandalous!

I didn't say "similar to"...I said that it took many of it's cues and much inspiration from it, it attempted to borrow from the stylishness that the producers of Love/Hate know was succesful in that show.

I can't think of too many other shows of recent years when so much time was given over to the criminal side of crime and where criminals got personalised and not dehumanised in much the same way as a whole bunch of shows personalise/characterise police officers and treat criminals merely as instruments of the plot or cannon fodder.
    That said it missed a trick in failing to show the side of the garda/detective units whatever...something they could expand on in a second series (though probably won't)...

Wertz wrote: »
    I didn't say "similar to"...I said that it took many of it's cues and much inspiration from it, it attempted to borrow from the stylishness that the producers of Love/Hate know was succesful in that show.

I can't think of too many other shows of recent years when so much time was given over to the criminal side of crime and where criminals got personalised and not dehumanised in much the same way as a whole bunch of shows personalise/characterise police officers and treat criminals merely as instruments of the plot or cannon fodder.
    That said it missed a trick in failing to show the side of the garda/detective units whatever...something they could expand on in a second series (though probably won't)...

not arguing....BUT.....to be pedantic, I didn't say you said "similar to", I said "To class it as being in any way as similar to....", which is an altogether different statement. It was overly-weighted to the criminal characters whereas "The Wire" develops all characters (good & bad) equally and makes no judgement on either; which in fairness you allude to in your last post. I disagree on the stylishness comment, but that's just my opinion, which I am entitled to, as you are to yours! :)

not arguing....BUT.....o be pedantic, I didn't say you said "similar to", I said "To class it as being in any way as similar to....", which is an altogether different statement. It was overly-weighted to the criminal characters whereas "The Wire" develops all characters (good & bad) equally and makes no judgement on either; which in fairness you allude to in your last post. I disagree on the stylishness comment, but that's just my opinion, which I am entitled to, as you are to yours! :)

Look lads,
    you seriously cant compare ANYTHING in this show to the Wire.
    The wire is a 5 season, 60 episode show with a budget that dwarfs anything like what Love Hate had (I suggest that it costs the same to make one episode of the wire as the 4 episodes of love/hate.
    They can develop characters over that time.

Of course the show "borrows" ideas/bits from other shows. I dont see any problem with that.

I dunno, I think people expect too much from a 4 episode Irish produced drama series.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Ahhh... for all it's faults it was good enough.. it was far from perfect but certainly watchable.. Thought Gillan was seriously miscast as the hard man.. But he is a good actor..

I think the comparison with The Wire is also very unfair..

• Advertisement

kippy wrote: »
    Look lads,
    you seriously cant compare ANYTHING in this show to the Wire.
    The wire is a 5 season, 60 episode show with a budget that dwarfs anything like what Love Hate had (I suggest that it costs the same to make one episode of the wire as the 4 episodes of love/hate.
    They can develop characters over that time.

That's kinda what I was saying........

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

3rd episode was enjoyable, it really turned things around from the 1st 2. Then the 4th IMO was disappointing, We get it they are getting married (I don't think any church would let them do the dance). Overall it was a very average TV drama but that is to be expected from most TV drama of recent years (except for the few US Cable TV drama's that I won't mention).

Overall I think it is good to get Irish Drama but the next series will need to be more involved until the next new drama comes along and everyone starts going on about how there never has been as good a drama on RTÉ like the new one :rolleyes:.
    I said in my first post on this thread that I felt this show was a cross between the Wire and Shameless...after the 4 eps I think that stands: The Wire only not as invloving or well acted, and Shameless only not as funny and less realistic.

Sounds nothing like either :) They will need to involve strong Detective characters in the next series, rather than the extras they play in this series.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭rob88

seeing as the guy who wrote it said himself he knows about the gangland problems from reading the newspapers and looking at bebo pages dedicated to slain members of gangs just sums it up for me.. embarrassing show.. i just hope it doesnt leave this country

Okay so I'm alone in my thinking that this show took a lot of it's cues from the success of the Baltimore Cop/Crim show which shall remain nameless.
    I can live with that. I'm well aware it's nothing like it...I'm saying that it tries to be, except for the clever plot, scripts, acting and continuity.

I'm certainly not saying that it even approaches the quality level of that show, nor that it ever could especially over such a short run and with a limited budget...and no, there's nothing inherently wrong with a bit of borrowed inspiration or the odd borrowed scene; I was merely acknowleding it.
    This is the first crime drama on RTÉ where tables have been turned and criminals take centre stage instead of AGS...something that we really only saw happen in the other unmentionable show (where it was done in a far more balanced way and to a better degree of realism).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

rob88 wrote: »
    seeing as the guy who wrote it said himself he knows about the gangland problems from reading the newspapers and looking at bebo pages dedicated to slain members of gangs just sums it up for me.. embarrassing show.. i just hope it doesnt leave this country

He also talked to gang members and their families. Reading papers and looking at memorial pages on Bebo wasn't all he did for research.

This is the first crime drama on RTÉ where tables have been turned and criminals take centre stage instead of AGS...something that we really only saw happen in the other unmentionable show (where it was done in a far more balanced way and to a better degree of realism).

The Cops play a major role in the un-named series, we see just as much of their lives and relationships as we do of the criminals that are under investigation even Aidan Gillen's had a similar role in the un-name series and he was a politician in that.

I am trying to think of any series outside this and the unmentioned show that gives just as much screen time to the criminals, that comes before the unmentioned show.

Sopranos maybe (don't watch it myself).
    Oz (although it gives the side of the prison authorities andcertainly doesn't paint a lot of it's cast in a good light).
    The Shield perhaps (blurs the lines where the cops are the crims, but the real crims get the usual treatment)
    Probably some UK stuff that I can't recall offhand. (Hustle maybe?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 647 ✭✭✭Namabillion

Viewing Figures.
    Ep1 - 400,000
    Ep2 - 405,000
    Ep3 - 434,000
    Ep4 - 383,000

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭LizardKing

have not read full thread .. watched the four episodes on the rte player ... enjoyed the show , better than i expected ... some good irish talent on show ... few cringe worthy moments but overall not too bad ... I think we should be supporting the irish made tv shows at least they are putting people to work here rather than paying US corporations for syndicated TV shows ....

• Advertisement

Sopranos maybe (don't watch it myself).
    Oz (although it gives the side of the prison authorities andcertainly doesn't paint a lot of it's cast in a good light).
    The Shield perhaps (blurs the lines where the cops are the crims, but the real crims get the usual treatment)
    Probably some UK stuff that I can't recall offhand. (Hustle maybe?)

Thanks The Sopranos .... but then they had some FBI agents. The part in the psychics office reminded me a bit of the Sopranos :rolleyes:. I did think of saying Oz but they were already in jail so I don't think that you can count them unless you count Prisoner in Cell Block H or ITV's Bad Girls. The Wire pre-dates the Shield????

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement